Victoria's Secret Stores

3.3
1,749 Reviews

Victoria's Secret Stores CEO Sharen Turney
Sharen Turney

Pros
  • Great discount and deals given to employees on different products every other month (in 106 reviews)

• 30% employee discount with some free bras throughout the year (in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • Some positions pose a greater difficulty in maintaining a work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• The part-time work & call-in shifts are for the birds (if this is your only job) (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Great!

Former Employee - Bra Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Bra Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

Great perks, awesome atmosphere, great people

Cons

Crazy scheduling, weird hours, sometimes communication issues between management and sales floor

Be consistent across all managers of what the expectations are

Great. Depends on Location.

Former Employee - Stock Support in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Stock Support in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My store was a great place to work in San Luis Obispo. But going to other stores showed that it really depends on location and management.

Cons

Low pay.
    Bad hours.
    Schedule came out usually 1-2 days before it started.

Amazing company; hit or miss management

Current Employee - Cashier/Bra Specialist/Sales Support
    Current Employee - Cashier/Bra Specialist/Sales Support

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

Victoria's Secret is such a bold and exciting brand. The girls you work with feel like family and are such a blast. If you love a fast paced and always expanding environment, this is the place for you! They take good care of their employees through monthly freebies and majorly discounted items to keep your product knowledge and enthusiasm about the brand through the roof! There's always an opportunity to move up in the company and the different positions are easy to learn.
    I've worked at two different locations: the first was absolutely incredible, the girls were nothing but nice, everyone had an amazing work ethic and team spirit and the manager was really in touch with all of us; the second (current store) I wish I could say the same.

Cons

As I said, management is a hit or miss. You either have an incredible leader who constantly encourages the team, or you have someone who's very out of touch with what's going on.
    Most stores hire primarily women because those are the primary applicants, unfortunately things get really catty really fast. Even some managers will say awful things about one another to the associates which creates an extremely unprofessional environment. The company itself is fun and creative but if your manager isn't on board with those ideals, it's going to be a rough time.
    As far as scheduling and hours go, some months you'll be worked to the bone with 10-12 hour shifts with 8 hours of rest in between and other months you're lucky if you get 30 hours total. The company needs to make an investment in their associates and show that they appreciate the hard work and dedication.
    The biggest con has happened over the course of the last two years. The company has switched from being 100% customer oriented to being 100% sales oriented. They require each associate to sell a certain $ amount per hour and are CONSTANTLY "coaching" about getting sales up. To provide incentive they have created a type of commission but only for sales and elevated associates, not cashiers or sales support (both are still required to get certain sales) This creates a huge disconnect between associates and customers and adds an extreme level of stress and pressure. In addition, the fighting between associates over stealing sales and customers is totally out of control. The company was much better when you were able to get to know your customers' unique needs and take time with them rather than rush from dollar sign to dollar sign and your coworkers were you're friends not your competition.

I understand the goal is to grow, but commission and sales tracking is not the answer. Associates are held accountable for "not being memorable" when their sales go unassigned, when in reality, most customers don't care or can't remember because you're only allowed to spend 3 minutes shopping with them. The idea of commission is thoughtful (to the associates it applies to) but a higher wage
    , positive encouragement and team building would be so much better.

Poorly trained management team

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

An average discount that can be used at a decent amount of stores. Monthly Gratis. Good salary. Sadly, those are the only pros of working for the company.

Cons

I can't speak for the company as a whole for my first con, but my store in particular was absolutely horrible. Management was either very young girls or rather older women. No one was trained. They through new people on the floor without any training, except the 25 minute useless "interactive video guide".
    Second con, after about 13 months of my employment my store under went some drastic changes. We got a storewide salary increase. I went from 9.80/hr to 14.25/hr. Which at first seemed AMAZING, but no one thought about the product price increase, hours drastically being cut, as well as employees being cut.
    Third con, along with the pay increase the company implemented the whole SPH incentive BS. Working with this company for 13 months had shown me how close you can get with your coworkers. But once the SPH think went into affect and sales were being monitored and assigned, a whole new mood was in the air. People started stealing sales and others would get furious. Making it not so fun to go to work anymore.

After having my hours drastically cut, I had no other choice than to get a full time job. I talked with my direct manager and told her my availability would be changing to weekends only, which I was only get weekend hours anyways. She approved it. After 2 months of said availability I was "let go" because they implemented another change where we HAD to have at least 15 available hours during the week and 2/3 (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) of our weekend days available.

For my personal store... Listen to your employees. Find out how they are feeling.. And actually show some caring.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

You get good customer service and sales experience

Cons

You do a lot and don't get commission

Big Picture

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Jose, CA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

Great benefits, paid-time-off, competitive pay (for retail). Products are easy to be passionate about and discounts and trials are frequent and generous.

Cons

Constantly changing shifts made work-life balance difficult. Store management was more focused on operational aspects, visual team became secondary at best. Though I can't argue with an operational focus, I felt my visual talents and passions were often untapped so that I could help run the floor.

Value the unique strengths and passions of your employees and use these to make your store special. Offer more internal promotions by grooming current employees for "next" in advance of these openings.

Barely any opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Product is good, environment is fun, work is generally easy, fun for girls in high school/college

Cons

No commission, no opportunity for growth, SLT/management is top priority in each store, no benefits for employees, incentives are worse every year, not enough compensation for how hard you work, constant pressure from management to exceed goals

Promote from within! There are excellent candidates already working within your store! Just because SLT gets a bonus every time their outside-of-company referral gets hired does not mean that's ethical. Raise wages for regular sales associates.

Overworked

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

No pros unless you look organizing thongs til 2 AM

Cons

Lame employee discount. I Mean how much was it to make the panties..

Management needs better training

A regular retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was given my breaks and my lunch all the time. I was always paid on time.

Cons

Didn't get along with my managers that much, even though I'm someone that gets along with people quite easily and I do my job.
    Managers picked favorites.

Becoming a VS girl is not for the people who just want to stand around looking pretty, it's some hard dirty work, but usually worth the effort

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, GA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As per usual, the discount is the best part of VS, that and helping women feel like a million bucks!

Cons

People destroying your displays of panties and bra drawers. 2 words=panty hell.

1. We all get stressed at holidays. 2. Ask how you can help develop us so we can grow (some associates may be afraid to interrupt you to ask.) 3. Don't play favorites. We know. 4. Have my back and I have yours. 5. Quit making associates act like they are commissioned based. It feels forced and fake. I, as a customer now, can tell and do not appreciate it. 6. If multiple associates tell a district manager there is corruption in the ranks, take heed! We are but frightened little associates who have risked life and job. It's real. It should not have taken another year for action to occur!
    I left in 2010 and STILL have customers finding me and asking me which bra to get and to please come help them shop because they cannot get the level of customer service that I gave them.

Victoria's Secret Stores Photos