Victoria's Secret Stores

3.3
1,617 Reviews

Victoria's Secret Stores CEO Sharen Turney
Sharen Turney

Pros
  • Great discount and deals given to employees on different products every other month (in 104 reviews)

• 30% employee discount with some free bras throughout the year (in 88 reviews)

Cons
  • Some positions pose a greater difficulty in maintaining a work-life balance (in 77 reviews)

• The part-time work & call-in shifts are for the birds (if this is your only job) (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

VS Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really great people, wonderful at working around school schedules if you're in college as most of the associates I worked with were, not a high pressure retailer, sales were important but rarely pushed on the associates, more emphasis on educating the customer about the products and genuinely providing them with help. 30% discount on products after one month of work as well as getting new/improved bras for $5-$10 for personal testimony to better explain to customers. 50% discount for PINK associates for one week once every two months because PINK associates must wear what is currently on the floor to work.
    Decent dress code, all black except when pops of color are allowed during launches. PINK associates wear what is currently on floor with non branded or specifically allowed branded shoes (converse being one of them)
    Tattoos sometimes allowed if small enough and not offensive. Strict on piercings

Cons

Has very specific and pretty sexist requirements for women employees appearance (must wear make up but not too much/hair must be visibly done in some fashion/cannot have chipped nail polish). Almost entirely female work environment. Sometimes there are awkward situations within the work place due to customers (older male customers who come in and ask female employees what size their breasts are and if they will model a bra to see if it would look good on a spouse of "similar size"). There was once a stalking case because a female employee put her hours on social media and a man tried to abduct her from the store she worked at. Upper management can sometimes be seen as cold or uncaring. Most requests off are not approved. There are on call shifts prior to or after scheduled shifts you must call in for or ask about if you're needed. Sometimes entire 4+ hour shifts will be on call. If there is nothing to do, employees will be asked to constantly refold clothes/underwear. Underwear is referred to as "panties". Closing can take up to 4 hours.

It's a great place to first start in high school.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have a lot of fun and meet new people.

Cons

It's hard to not to shop there every time you go in for work.

Maybe try to give more advice to the register employees.

Management does not care about their employees.

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay was good.
    Job was pretty easy.
    Clients were for the most part enjoyable.

Cons

Management was a mess. No organization. Very disrespectful. Planet Hollywood location is a complete joke. No work life balance. Very stressful and caddy work environment. Managers make it worse.

Don't hire ingenious managers to train associates to be genuine.

Very intense envirnment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is great
    Great cowokers
    Customer service based company

Cons

Expect to much for to little
    Poor communication from management to associates
    The pay is satisfactory
    Not much growth opportunity
    Unreasonable sales goals
    Holidays are extremely busy
    Hours go up and down inconsistently

Work on communication from management to associates
    Have a better system for spah goals

Treated as Disposable

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

30% off discount (full price items)
    Occasional gratis buy-ins
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

-The company is now switching to commission based pay, which can be good if you are actually on the sales floor. For those working stock and floor sets, you are still being underpaid
    -On call shifts- you won't know if you are working until 2 hours before your shift, however they can cut your regular hours at anytime too
    -Not as many gratis opportunities as there used to be
    -Disrespectful district manager and managers playing favorites
    -Not much room to grow in the company
    -Many, many recent changes coming from corporate that are simply not practical

Communication is very important. We will have one manager tell us to do one task, then another manager comes in and we have to redo the project because they simply do not communicate. Also recognition for those who have been working very hard for years would be appreciated, not just for those who do something good once in a while.

It's OK

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores

Pros

Great gratis! I enjoyed the rewards whenever our team sold the highest in the region. There are opportunities to move up within the company.

Cons

The opportunities to move up are there, however, you must sell as if you're making commission. Depending on the area, the managers (and fellow colleagues) can be obnoxious. Sometimes some employees are shown favoritism. If you're easily irritated then don't work here.

Acknowledge everyone that does work. Not just your favorite employee.

Beauty

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

discount
    flexibility
    can pick which area you would like to work

Cons

lack of hours
    on calls
    favoritism
    gossips
    only 15 minute break and no time to get food in crowded mall
    long hours after close folding panties

Good place to work when under passionate management

Current Employee - Full Time Category Supervisor
    Current Employee - Full Time Category Supervisor

I have been working at Victoria's Secret Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome to help customers one on one. Chance to work with great product and people. Company has good values.

Cons

It's retail.. Your going to deal with rude customers and intense sales plans that affect your amount of hours if you don't make plans

Foster a good work environment. Don't be catty and talk about other managers. Worry about making it a good place to work not a negative one

So many flaws

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount. I loved my co workers, a lot of loyal customers who I enjoyed helping find a special outfit or bra.

Cons

I honestly could write a book about everything I saw wrong. Cleanliness is impossible since they don't give you the "hours" to clean the store. It was always dusty and in my many attempts to keep it clean it was not. When I was hired the toilet was BLACK and still isn't kept up with. If you are part time you don't get benefits. Time off does not happen and if you give limited availability like you have a second job you will probably be fired. They have "black out times" which is reasonable for retail but also if you have to go to the doctor or something you basically can't or have to do it on a day off. Rarely was the schedule put out on a timely manner which means you probably won't know your schedule a week ahead. Also had problems with them changing it the last minute and not letting me know. Call ins are the worst... not knowing if your gonna work till 2 hours before or what time you might go home. Unprofessional management texting me to cut my shift because of being over hours. You can love the store and everything about it but if you don't meet there sales requirements they will fire you. You are not recognized for anything else you do in the store all it comes down to is your sales. I knew the products upside down and backwards selling was not my strength I am not a pushy person but since my sales were not good enough I was let go. Not all stores follow policies with coupons so you had to deal with a lot of customers who want to do things that aren't technically allowed and will argue with you about it. Tons of bra returns that shouldn't be accepted but are because of how nasty the customers become.

Learn how to run a company based on the stores specifics. 340$ an hour average to actually make a bonus is not achievable in a low volume store. You waste so much money its not even funny on giving associates free things like management full size perfumes. Yet you can not actually pay Associates much more than or not even 8.00 an hour.Give stores better drawers I cannot tell you how much product damage I see because of the poor furniture that does not hold the product that HAS to be on the sales floor ... A DDD cup has to be squeezed into small drawers your wasting money and making customers unhappy.

One of the most stress-filled retail jobs!

Former Employee - Cashier/Lingerie Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Lingerie Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at Victoria's Secret Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They only pro I can think of is the 30% off lingerie, bras and clothing employees get.

Cons

Where do I start? Let's see,
    -MINIMUM WAGE: They start you at $8.50/hour. As expensive as the lingerie and clothing is, they could pay higher.
    -CATTY COWORKERS / CUSTOMERS: Being surrounded by girls all day and all night isn't as pleasant as it sounds.
    -CLIQUES / FAVORITISM: There was a lot of gossip and high school behavior that went on throughout the store. The favoritism of the managers is so rampant and obvious, it's disgusting.
    -STRICT DRESS CODE: They have a strict dress code, concerning what type of pants, shirts and shoes your allowed to wear to work. They also demand you to wear all black, even in the summer and this becomes a problem when it gets crowed and you get busy, which causes you to get hot, which causes you to sweat, which causes you to smell.
    -HOURS: Unless your a manager or supervisor, don't expect to get any hours. There have been times when I haven't worked for weeks at a time due to the store not having the money to give hours to employees; whether because it was slow or whatever. (I was promised 20 hours a week when interviewed) They also have the horrible on-call system, which means that an employee has to call in 2 hours before the start of their on-call shift time, to see if the store needs them to work that particular day, night or weekend.
    -SEMI- ANNUAL SALE or SAS: This is held twice a year, one in the summer and another in the winter. This is the busiest time for the store all year and the managers take it very seriously. The store is packed all day and night and it's fair to say it's utter chaos! There is never a moment of rest when working during this time. On the upside, you're guaranteed 30 or more hours a week during this time. Setting up for SAS is a all week and all night event. They want to make as much money during this time period, so the District Office doesn't get mad at them. The latest I've stayed setting up was 4:50am. I had to come back that same day on the first day of SAS at 2pm and stay until 1:30am; organizing dozens upon dozens of bra and panty bins; by size and color, sorting the walls of lingerie, sleepwear, sportswear and putting back the piles of clothes from the dressing room. It is a nightmare.
    -CLOSING THE STORE: I'm not sure how late other employees in other retail jobs have to stay when closing the store, but at Victoria's Secret, it is a normal thing to stay late. The managers don't even put the time employee's shifts ends when they're supposed to close, because depending on how messy the store is, you're forced to fold panties, organize bras, fold clothing and etc until the store is neat. The store I worked at closed at 9pm, but we normally left around 10:30-11pm. There were also frequent times when we were required to clean every inch of the store without prior notice (which meant we got out around midnight or later) in order to make a good impression when the District Office managers come the next day.

Stop the disrespect you give to employees by catty remarks or comments. You're the manager to give guidance and advice on how to improve skills, not spread gossip like an immature high school student.

Victoria's Secret Stores Photos