Video Gaming Technologies

Jon P. Yarbrough

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people to work with in the Reno Office

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Reno, NV

ProsGreat people to work with
    Good benefits
    Flexible
    People that are knowledgeable about games and players
    Quality is a focus

ConsHard to get other offices to listen to ideas sometimes
    Hard to get IT support

Advice to Senior ManagementThings have changed for the better now that the engineering management has changed. The people that wrote the earlier negative posts about the Reno office were on their way out and aren't there anymore. One was my manager who wasn't good. Management has already started fixing the problems, starting with him. My advice to management is to continue making improvements. There are very talented people in the office, engineers, artists, math, QA, etc. with great ideas. Keep listening and work on collaboration issues with TN. When both offices collaborate and talk together things move fast.

Worst place to work in Reno

Pros+Great team members
    +Highly skilled team members
    +Work on what you want when you want
    +Work when you want. Lots of flexibility

Cons-Mountains out of molehills.
    -Mean girl atmosphere.
    -Popularity contest.
    -Cliques. Them and us.
    -Lack of direction and experience of decision makers makes teams very unproductive.
    -Team members are blamed for lack of productivity when lack of direction, maturity, professionalism, and experience are really to blame.
    -Decisions made by ego.
    -Decision makers take more joy from watching others fail than us all succeeding.
    -Untrustworthy, unprofessional leadership.
    -Restrained, ineffective management.
    -Agile gone wrong. Moronic implementation of Agile misses what it means to actually be agile.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is clearly not out for the best interest of the company. They are clearly only interested in boosting ego and surrounding themselves with yes-men. They turn a blind eye to brazen political posturing. Leadership has trained their finest to be just like them: untrustworthy, unprofessional, gossiping politians who are more interested in setting you up to fail than making the company succeed. VGT may be the worst place to work in Reno. It breaks my heart to see so much potential wasted.

Reno bad

ProsFree food
    Can take lots of time off
    Work on anything you like

ConsDemeaning environment
    Nasty people making poor decisions
    No success
    Poor productivity
    No collaboration

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutives need to stop rewarding bad, nasty, and unprofessional conduct. The way we're spoken to is demeaning. Stop and listen to it and you'll understand why half of the office is sick every day. Nobody likes to be micro managed and made to feel like **** every day. And nobody wants to work in an environment where they feel that their contributions don't matter. Execs seem to be rewarding people based on whether they like them, are pretty, or just fall inline and ask no questions. No wonder we never get anything done! Employees are being redirected constantly by people that don't understand anything. The shot callers are inexperienced rookies who are motivated by something other than company success.

Worked for Video Gaming Technologies? Contribute to the Community!