Videology

Updated October 27, 2014
3.7

Videology Chairman and CEO Scott Ferber
Scott Ferber

Challenging, Rewarding, Hard-working environment that takes a special type of thinker

I have been working at Videology full-time

Pros

- Ability to voice opinions
    - Leading the charge in a very interesting field with a very high ceiling
    - Ability to change roles to something one finds/believes to be more fulfilling
    - Very smart people work here
    - Opportunities to make yourself more invaluable if you choose to tackle them
    - Executing well on global strategies designed for more transparency and better alignment across all divisions
    - Global business touching every major market in the world with more on the way
    - Brilliant leaders with proven track records and great VC backing
    - Most VP's are all strong in their respective divisions, a few exceptions
    - C-level execs are strong in their disciplines and are good leaders collectively
    - Great office, good environment
    - Ability for upward movement if you are in the right business unit
    - Get your stuff done, you can come and go as you please within reason
    - Leadership has tremendous track record of success from previous endeavors
    - Tremendous opportunity for those applying for entry level positions

Cons

- Global business with 80% of employees working in the US, means long hours if you have a meaningful role
    - Middle Management does more harm than good
    - Company as a whole over-meets. Heavily.
    - 401K/Stock plan is offensive
    - Work life balance becomes very tough to get through once you get to a certain level in this company

Follow through on the higher level decisions that have been made, and ensure those on board are compensated appropriately. On the flip side, those inhibiting that growth/execution are shifted away from leadership/decision-making roles to ensure the plan can be properly and positively executed. Follow the vision and plan that you have created, you cannot afford to lose employee confidence in your direction.

Challenging, yet rewarding

I have been working at Videology full-time

Pros

Fast paced work environment; great company growth and success; lots of responsibility; room to grow; effort is rewarded; passionate execs

Cons

All of the "pros" lead to a few cons. A fast paced work environment and company growth (pro) have led to some growing pains like ambiguity around responsibilities, which can lead to inefficiencies. And while lots of responsibility/room to grow is great (pros), one can find it difficult to maintain a good work/life balance.

Continue the recent effort for more transparency on global strategy; continue to reward employees with high performance; consider providing more resources to those that need them to maintain efficiency

Hard Drivers, Massive Opportunity

I have been working at Videology full-time

Pros

Videology has positioned itself to bring digital tools to television - things like decisioning on "big data" algorithms. I'm not 100% that TV is ready for this - $70B industries are never eager to change - but the tools and the people to enable this change are at this company. If you want to make / advance a career with a room full of A-Players, then this is a good company to do it with. A review below said "It's not for everyone," and that's absolutely right. Even if they're flexible, the hours can be long. And your work needs to be truly phenomenal to standout in this crowd. But I'm never bored, always challenged, and have probably done more for my career in the few years that I've been here than anywhere else I've been.

Cons

This job can be a grind, even if you're good at what you do. Even though nobody here cares about face time, if you want to separate yourself here you'll probably need to put in the hours. Your co-workers definitely are. The other "con" is that because the company is still pushing limits there are lots of changes. Changes in management, changes in processes, changes in what you're asked to do. For me, I like it, and that's part of why I work here, but there are plenty of people who freak out about change. If this is you, Videology isn't a fit.

You have 2 choices:
    1) set the rules, set the direction, get out of the way. Live by your decisions and the people you have empowered to make them on your behalf.
    2) be around the office at all times to make the decisions yourself.
    Attempts to find middle ground is a lesson in frustration that encourages either dependence or apathy (or both.)

Positive

I have been working at Videology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance, growth opportunities, positive culture and morale, always learning

Cons

structure, upper management decision making

Interesting - evolving but confusing.

I have been working at Videology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When the group DOES get together, its a great group. We have very smart, talented people who are very hungry to do more for the company but lack direction and clarity.

Cons

The war room meetings. No need to have every day. Only offices that seem to join in is Baltimore and NY. Takes too much out of your morning. Disconnected between divisions and offices. If not Baltimore or NY, it seems you're out on a tether. So long to get things done - way too many layers at top that hold things up. You are told you are empowered but things are often stopped at the top.

Offices need to be designed for more collaboration. Too many empty desks in office with big spaces keeps everyone in the own world. Empower people and let them run. Training on ALL levels. And keep training. Invest in bringing in speakers and trainers and keep educating. Improve the onboarding process - it's poor. HR does their part but once the new hire steps into the office they are left to fend for themselves. Develop a professional face for the org as soon as a guest/client step into office - show we care. There is NO ONE to say WELCOME- WE ARE SO GLAD YOU HERE TODAY! Have people pick up the phone more...back to basics - verbally communicate. Get to know people/teams. Start an open door policy. Get desk phones and have people talk more.

Friendly work environment and great company to work for

I have been working at Videology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly. Work hours are very flexible to manage the balance between family and the work schedule.
    Innovative idea comes for engineering in every work sprint. Work is challenging. Management and marketing team is great to keep the company growing.

Cons

The company does not contribute to employee 401K plan.

Company should consider contributing to employee 401k retirement plan. I did not know anything about salary increase. Company may share some policies of salary increase with employees.

company being murdered by middle management.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay - OK
    Benefits - OK

Cons

Upper management is (particularly in development ) specializes in disparaging and demotivating the employees. The attrition rate has gone up, the reasons are obvious. One man running the show, micromanaging tasks, not the best way to get things done the right way.

A very common phrase that you will hear "my way or the highway". Does not matter if that "my way" is illogical but if it comes from higher up is the gospel ( technical decisions ).

Please listen to the engineers, empower them and get rid of people who think they are too smart for the place.

Videology Response

Aug 22, 2014Employee Development Manager

Videology is proud of the work our teams have accomplished. The efficiency, speed, and look of our products are due to the hard work and dedication of our teams and the people in which we have ... More

Great Company, Great Management Team

I have been working at Videology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've had a very positive experience in my 2 years at Videology. The company is always changing, so there's never a dull day. I have found senior management at the company to be very smart, approachable, transparent, and nice -- Scott Ferber sets this tone and it trickles down to the levels below him. Everyone works together to get the job done, and there is a great energy across departments.

I have worked at companies with very negative feelings of bureaucracy and "the most senior person in the room is always right." This is not the case at Videology at all. If you are smart and work well with the rest of the company, you'l be valued and you'll do well.

Cons

Now that the company is growing, and given the competition with other tech companies, I think there is a need to re-evaluate some of the benefits, including the disappointing 401k plan and maternity leave policies.

Continue being approachable and getting to know everyone at the company; it really makes a difference to feel that everyone's in this together!

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Videology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Having Scott Ferber as your CEO - he's off-the-wall, but in a great, positive way.
    - Friendly, young, intelligent workforce.
    - Team-first attitude. Me-first attitudes are not accepted.
    - Transparent work environment.
    - It doesn't matter how you get there; at the end of the day, if you accomplish your goals, that's all that matters. There's a "work smarter, not harder" work attitude.
    - Ample opportunity for professional growth and promotions.
    - People care about their work here and you can see it.

Cons

- As a fast-growing company, certain initiatives, projects and programs can get "lost in the sauce."
    - 401K isn't matched by company.

Rewarding and Challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Videology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Videology is the 4th company I have worked for in my 12 year career. I can say, without a doubt, that this is the most exciting, rewarding and challenging work environment that I have ever been a part of. I've worked for 3 different managers in my time here and each of them has been stellar - open minded, conscientious and driven. I'm allowed the freedom to get my job done without anyone breathing down my neck or looking over my shoulder.

Overall, my colleagues are hardworking and incredibly competent. We have a fun and laid back environment, but at the same time, there is healthy competition to excel at your job. I would highly recommend Videology to prospective applicants looking to push themselves to their highest potential.

Cons

It’s tough to complain too much when I know what other companies are like compared to Videology. The one thing I will mention is a lack of a 401k match. They do offer a 401k, but I don’t see much of a point in participating without some kind of match. They are still granting stock options at hiring, but as we approach almost 400 employees, it seems time to begin a 401k match.

It will be a challenge to maintain the "start up" feel as we grow, but its critical to try to keep the essential components of our culture that have led to the success we've seen here to date.