Viewpoint Reviews

15 reviews filtered by
Jay Haladay

1. Nice location but major pressure

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, nice building, fun people.

Cons

Ton of pressure to hit the financial numbers, which are placed so far out of reach there is no possibility to achieve them. Highly leveraged by VC company so instead of being customer focused they are shareholder focused.

Stretch goals are nice but goals need to be attainable. Listen to your managers, you put them in place because of their experience, use their experience rather than ignore it.

Terrible management, profit hungry executives, and boring work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time

Pros

The building and view are great.
    Some of the people are cool.
    A medium sized, usable gym.

Cons

Management has a lack of real experience and no idea how to lead.
    Management and executives do not care how normal employees feel.
    Executive management is very detached and is unaware of the employee satisfaction.
    Pay is not competitive, empty promises are made about pay increases and bonuses.
    Pay for performance is what they say but only those who create a false perception are rewarded.
    A lot of butt kissing takes place, people who don't produce anything (management, supervisors, product owners, execs).
    The work content is very mundane and boring, unless you love accounting and construction...
    No room for advancement or big pay increases for hard working employees who produce a lot of good work but refuse to suck up.
    No push towards human sustainability, management encourages long hours.
    Executives treat developers like they are unintelligent and won't see the wool being pulled over their eyes.
    HR does not protect employees, just a tool to protect management and the corporation.
    No recognition or celebration of high performing employees who don't put additional effort into standing out.
    Location is not great, next to train tracks in a dirty, homeless filled neighborhood.

Stop giving all of the cudos, pay raises, and promotions to the employees who pretend to do work but really just smooth talkers. Reward those of us who put in the time to create a high quality product and sacrifice our time and effort to improve the company.

Our management and executives are detached from how most employees are really feeling. This occurs because you would rather be sucked up to than get real, quality information that will help us all grow and make the company more successful. Saying that you have an open door policy does not prove that fact, to us it means that your door is open until you don’t like what you hear. Nobody grows if they only hear what they want to. Please hire some managers who are experienced and want to help grow and nurture your normal employees. Increasing pressure does not always drive better results!

3. Sales executive

Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Team Member in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing, fast moving company. Well funded and with a big vision for growth. Great offices in Portland

Cons

Sales management kinda old school grinding for numbers, numbers, numbers. Marketing materials behind the need.

Very profit oriented. Claims to be employee driven but, just not.

Former Employee - Report Developer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Report Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Located in a cool building. Software is nice where you can right click on a field and see the database properties. Coworkers were okay. The HR team seems to have nice things to say about it on Glassdoor.

Cons

The upper management at this company is greedy. They will work you until there's nothing left. They overcharge the customers ($200 an hour for report development) and then they under-estimate the jobs leaving the developers to further infuriate the customers by sending change orders. They love signing those. Then, the management insists, no, requires that the developers bill 7+ hours per day or they're just not cutting it there. The software team also keeps releasing their software without updating the built-in reports that have been updated over and over again by the report team. Why? MORE PROFIT$. Pay was low for this type of work. Especially knowing what they charge the customers. If you have a job offer from Viewpoint / Coaxis in Portland, OR, seriously reconsider, unless you are sadistic.

Charge the customers less, maybe estimate a few more hours per job instead. End change orders!!! This is supposed to be a service that is provided to the customer and you're just milking it for cash and making the developers do the dirty work.

If you’re not growing, you’re dying

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Good talented team
    * Work environment is very laid back
    * Job security
    * If you’re comfortable just filling a seat, this is a perfect job for you

Cons

* Management is completely disconnected from development
    * Management has no interest in your career path
    * If your career path is not in management, don’t expect a future here
    * When introducing new innovative ideas or solutions for the company don’t expect any credit
    * Forced to sell stock options during Bain buyout
    * Took 6 months, after the fact, for upper management to tell us we didn't make our bonuses
    * The company is currently bleeding good talent
    * The company has no direction
    * Salary compensation is very low for the Portland market

Too many managers, not enough leaders.

Very Collaborative

Current Employee - Development in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Development in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

--Work environment is very open and collaborative
    --Outstanding HR department, resources, and services
    --Everyone I've worked with is super helpful, smiles, and has an optimistic view
    --Best supervisor I've ever had. Easy to communicate with and always is in my corner
    --I like the PTO benefits over traditional vacation-sick combinations
    --OK to work from home if you have a proven track record, decision depends on supervisor.
    --Management and HR are very approachable, listen to suggestions, and open to discussions. Some suggestions are brought before the entire company for comments and feedback.

Cons

--Payscales are good, but could be better. I have personally been offered significantly more pay at other companies recently, but I decided the work culture, benefits, and people's attitudes and work ethic trump the better pay and lousy reviews I see on glass door.
    --Very health-conscious culture, you better be in good shape since team-building events and extra-curricular activities occasionally are somewhat physical. (You can always opt-out, but then you don't get to gossip with the others.)
    --some office clicks apparent, but that is true anywhere. Not too extreme here
    --office environment can get loud when certain departments interact.

Better review system. On a scale from 1 to 5, a "3" isn't "excellent". This scale theory does not match up with the rest of existence and seems like just a way to keep raises at the barely acceptable minimums. Overall though, outstanding culture and I've been very happy.

8. Challenges and Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is rapidly growing, which is great for opportunities in the market and employment. Viewpoint does a fairly good job promoting internal employees, however less in the upper management space.

Cons

Due to the rapid growth of the company, it provides challenges with defining a company cultural foundation. I saw a big shift change in work life balance over the past 3 years, which is basically non-existent. If you love to work, this is the company for you.

Focus more on your employees, because you cannot sustain the growth without the success of your employees. They need opportunities to grow and have fun while they work extremely hard. I would like to see a more relaxed environment that allows employees to flourish and excel at their productivity. Seems we focus more on meeting our company initiatives without the consequences of the impact it has on the employees doing the bulk of the work. Viewpoint should also look at what the market salary range is, and meet or beat it to maintain and attract talented people.

Used to be great

Former Employee - Software Developer in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is growing - primarily through acquisition. This creates a very dynamic work environment. Conditions are dependent upon which division you work in. Co-workers are bright and talented.

Cons

Company wants to go public and the focus is revenue and more revenue. Work life balance - Ha!

Management used to exemplify the company core values - not so much any more. Too bad!

10. Decent company with good employees

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Viewpoint full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good employees, friendly culture. Job stability with no "startup" flakiness.

Cons

There's a big divide between normal employees and management. The CEO is the stereotypical golf-playing CEO that is very out of touch with how employees actually work. In addition, both of the CEO's sons work for the company in management, surely no potential for clash of interest, right? IT department is "dinosaur" and strictly Windows. If you expect to have a nice workspace (or anything more than two TINY dell monitors), think again.

11. Growth, culture and opportunity

Current Employee - Product Development in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Product Development in Portland, OR

I have been working at Viewpoint full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company culture and fun people to work with

Cons

Growing very rapidly and life balance is becoming much less important.

Life balance is important - don't cause burn out

Viewpoint Photos