Vigor Industrial

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Frank Foti

Maritime Industrial work

ProsJob Satisfaction. Good Engineering and processes

ConsDoing a lot with few peopole

Advice to Senior ManagementMore top to bottom meeting; listen.

Company in growth mode--Making sweeping changes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have never worked with a group of more dedicated and kind people. There have been a couple of rounds of cuts--and the people that are still with the company are able to crank out the work of a much larger workforce.

ConsThe project teams especially are overloaded with work. They have eliminated many of the admin positions. The people remaining at all levels of the organization are a little shell shocked and are waiting for the other shoe to fall. They are restructuring and may come out the other side feeling much more corporate and impersonal.

Poor infrastructure

ProsWonderful work force, many great ideas and brilliant people in various crafts, good health benefits.

ConsLack of support and resources, not given the tools to succeed. Lack of follow through, more reactive rather than proactive. Too political. Inter-departmental relations (team building) are not developed (nor encouraged), and each department acts as it's own entity. Lack of structure, no room for individual growth.

Advice to Senior Management"More with less" will cause more issues and accidents when people are burnt out and stressed... invest more in training and prevention rather than corrections and encourage life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work with a good team environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe owner is very approachable and the company structure is very flat allowing for good interaction and idea passing thru all levels

ConsOperating to lean in the non deck plate areas.

Sound leadership, great company looking towards the future.

Independent Consultant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsReliable, steady work. You really get the feel of "team" here. Great leadership in all departments. Would reapply here in a minute. Good compensation and benefits.

ConsContract driven, if there's no work, then there's no workers.

Sincere leadership who care abotu all employees and a strong culture

ProsVigor actually makes something – repairs and builds ships. And in this day and age when everything is service work, making something is refreshing. Also, while it has been growing a lot through acquisitions leadership and some of that has not gone as well as hoped, senior leadership is looking inward to figure out how to do things better. They do not blame others – they ask what can we do better? They actually did an employee engagement survey this year and are being really open about the results and asking employees what they want to see done better. Refreshing. Having worked at many companies who do not care what employees think I can say this is being done with such transparency. And even if other companies do a survey senior management decides what gets done to make it better rather than asking employees.

ConsGrowing pains are always difficult. And acquisitions can be tough with those having been acquired feeling left out. That’s not to say that the integration process can’t go better. Sometimes leadership can be a bit controlling.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course of asking what you can do to be the change. Build you next generation of leaders and let go to let them lead and come up with new ideas.

Lots of things going on all the time, very hard to be bored, lacking recognition.

ProsMany things are going on across the company to get involved with.

ConsIf you do get involved there isn't much in the way of recognition and not much in the way of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more recognition and advancement opportunities.

Growing too fast for its own good.

Middle Management (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsExperts in profitable fixed price ship repair. Good benefits. Good people.

ConsUnwilling to invest in systems, people and processes necessary to succeed in new vessel construction. Senior management is closed circle. All decisions made behind closed doors without any input from mid-level management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your middle management. Invest in systems, people and processes that enable sustained high level performance. Adopt a more open decision making process.

Forward thinking company, that is all about it's employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) East Portland, OR

ProsCompany is growing, and it's focus is that employees are responsible for the growth. Not managment being responsible for growth. CEO has a great sense of humor.

ConsShip Repair is a bit unpredictable. There are several companies that Vigor Industrial owns, most of them starting with "Vigor" such as Vigor Marine, Vigor Machine and Vigor Fab (just to name a few), this causes confusion and many employees don't actually know which company is actually their employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore of the executive managers should be more involved in company wide communication.

Solid Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsWater front offices. Respectful environment with room for growth.

ConsOn paint days if you forget to cover your window, you're going to need new wipers.

Worked for Vigor Industrial? Contribute to the Community!