Vigor Industrial Reviews

16 reviews filtered by
3.9
Frank Foti

1. Vigor industrial - Evolution

I have been working at Vigor Industrial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Empowering, growing, brave, competitive, and proud. I've worked with Vigor for 4 years and I have been challenged and encouraged to grow every step of the way.

Cons

As with any organization that is expanding, there are integration pains and challenges that we face everyday. If you are looking for a place that is well established and uniform, this may not be the right fit.

Keep believing in your people. We are strong and Vigorous.

Growing Company but Long-term Vision unclear

I worked at Vigor Industrial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Growing company means room for advancement. Great locations in the Pacific Northwest both for family and strategic business. New large drydock in Portland has potential to secure ship repair work. Longterm outlook with locations in Alaska is promising as Alaska continues to grow economically. CEO excellent speaker and making moves with his many acquisitions.

Cons

There is a lot of work ahead for executive and mid-level management to define processes and procedures.Recent restructuring of Vigor Fab (new construction) led to many layoffs and created a tense/uneasy environment. Mid-size company with growing pains. Lack of transparency or clarity on the longterm goals and direction of company, both as a whole and within each subsidiary. Disconnect between estimating and projects in the New Construction sector. Unclear advancement/promotion scheme for management.

3. The atmosphere was awesome

I worked at Vigor Industrial

Pros

culture, benefits, fun, exciting, casual

Cons

parking, old buildings, no bus stop

The owner wants a healthy tight ship but has reduced wages and disposed of skilled craftspeople w lower wage people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vigor Industrial full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people that work there really care about doing a good job, or at least those who were there and many still.

Cons

Craftspeople don't believe the management speak and wages have in many or most cases been reduced.

Respect the experience of craftspeople and talk one on one with those you have concerns with. Not direct supervisor and worker necessarily, maybe skip a step above or over in chain of command. Allow the hands on people, their reps, to speak with you about change considerations, cause and effect expectations whether in ship construction, repair or office practices and tools.

6. A great first job out of college

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vigor Industrial full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Sales/Marketing department seems to have Vigor's most...interesting employees. Good pay for a job right out of college. Positive environment. Helpful and friendly managers/coworkers, actually interested in your personal life (perhaps a bit too interested). They took me out to lunch on my last day. Didn't have to dress all fancy for work. Best of all, there's free food to be found from time to time.

Cons

The commute to Harbor Island. Lack of benefits. Lack of youth in the office. From what I hear, after I was laid off, employees with much longer tenures than mine were dropping like flies. However, I'm sure their severance packages were a bit heartier than mine, a Christmas ham.

Too Much Too Fast.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Vigor Industrial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talented People, great ideas, benefits are decent. Good team work developed within each department. Company is really TRYING to push forward into a new culture.

Cons

Departments don't work well together. Too many mergers too quick. Company feels like a foster home with all the new acquired companies. Safety is currently goal #1, but the CEO directive is "do more with less". Sometimes feels like we're being asked to get water out of a rock.

Mergers need more guidance, team building exercises to introduce new faces. People need to feel like the new acquired company is help/support not a competition.

8. Maritime Industrial work

I have been working at Vigor Industrial

Pros

Job Satisfaction. Good Engineering and processes

Cons

Doing a lot with few peopole

More top to bottom meeting; listen.

Company in growth mode--Making sweeping changes

I worked at Vigor Industrial full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never worked with a group of more dedicated and kind people. There have been a couple of rounds of cuts--and the people that are still with the company are able to crank out the work of a much larger workforce.

Cons

The project teams especially are overloaded with work. They have eliminated many of the admin positions. The people remaining at all levels of the organization are a little shell shocked and are waiting for the other shoe to fall. They are restructuring and may come out the other side feeling much more corporate and impersonal.

10. Great place to work with a good team environment

I have been working at Vigor Industrial full-time

Pros

The owner is very approachable and the company structure is very flat allowing for good interaction and idea passing thru all levels

Cons

Operating to lean in the non deck plate areas.

11. Sound leadership, great company looking towards the future.

Former Contractor - Independent Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Independent Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Vigor Industrial as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reliable, steady work. You really get the feel of "team" here. Great leadership in all departments. Would reapply here in a minute. Good compensation and benefits.

Cons

Contract driven, if there's no work, then there's no workers.