Viking Collection Service

Reset
2.1
Gene Kloeckner & Cory Kloeckner
1 Rating

1. A good company with high standards.

Former Employee - Account Representative in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Viking Collection Service

Pros

Collections has come a long ways and continues to change. I saw a lot of changes at VCS even though I only worked there for a year. They treated their employees fairly and if anyone was let go they knew the reasoning behind the decisions that were being made. The managers there communicated well with employees and provided feedback. They offered base plus commission and it seemed reasonable when compared to other companies. The best part about working at VCS was that you could set your own schedule as long as you worked your required nights/weekends. The people I worked with were great, I learned a lot and now I can cross "collections" off the list of jobs that I would be fine never working again.

Cons

I was not a natural born collector so I found collections to be very challenging. When I worked there it was a base plus commission pay scheme. I guess if you had more experience your base was better, but I was new to collections and really just needed a job. I never commissioned but the goals that were set for me were attainable.. Well, a lot of people made their goals and I think I only made mine a couple times, so they weren't impossible. People swore at me a lot but that wasn't anyone's fault at Viking.

Advice to Management

I liked working for all of my managers, I thought they did a good job. They had good communication and did their best to motivate and encourage people. The Senior Leadership seemed to be friendly and fair. I was never called into the big guy's office but he knew everyone's name and was willing to talk to you.

2. Horrible company to work for

Current Employee - Debt Collector in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Debt Collector in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Viking Collection Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro about working at Viking is its a job

Cons

I've worked viking for 5+yrs. lots has changed. No collector makes any money, avg is about 30-35kyr The starting base pay is 2k a month. Experienced maybe 3k if you can prove you are good. This is a commission job. If you are not meeting your goal that they make up as thry go. They will drop your base pay with no prior warning. After a while you will build up accounts that pay you every month via post dated checks. As your post dated checks increase so does your goal. They do not want to pay you for going over your goal the make it hard to commission Management cares only about management, they do not trust there collectors, they are always watching over your should, monitoring your internet, recording personal calls. the make your own schedule is a joke, they force certain days without much prior notice that must be worked..unless you are one of the lucky few who have brown nosed long enough. 401k is a joke, only management makes enough to use it. It does have a company match of pennies on the dollar. Life insurance if you buy it dental is ok Medical insurance is very expensive and avg at best Vacation time--you earn 2weeks after one yr--3 weeks after 5yrs. Vacation time is a joke, if you think you can use it when you want. You have another thing coming. If you do get approval for time off. They make you feel so bad about taking time off. They will also open up your unit of collection accounts and allow other collectors to call your accounts and take them from you and being commission job that hurts The day you decide to move on and get a better job. You will not be able to use Viking as past reference as they will not do that even if you leave on good terms

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as humans

3. Questionable leadership

Former Employee - Debt Collector in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Debt Collector in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Viking Collection Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clean, newer office building near I-17.

Cons

Office politics. Suck ups are favored, talent is overlooked.

Advice to Management

Management overhaul needed.

5. Just OK

Former Employee - Collector
    Former Employee - Collector

I worked at Viking Collection Service

Pros

Opportunity to earn 50-60 thousand. Flex schedule. Lot's of people (social opps). Health bens. Decent work environment . And decent training.

Cons

Incompetent unit managers and an antiquated relationship model with employee / employer. You will be treated like a criminal. Constant feeling of being watched. Management behaves as though you are an enemy to be watched, monitored and harassed.

Advice to Management

Step into the 21st century. Treat your employees like people and value their contributions. There is a reason the best collectors in the TC area are not at Viking anymore. How thickheaded do you need to be when all of your top talent leaves and goes to the same competitor.

RSS Feed </> Embed