Viking River Cruises

CEO

Rapid growth = growing pains

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Viking River Cruises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My experience has been in the call center, and I believe over-all, management strives for fairness, almost to a fault. Compensation on the sales side of the call center is generous with six-figure earning potential, but only if you know the product, or sound as if you do, and if you are consistent with follow-up work. It's not easy, especially working within the confines of a ridiculous commission structure (see below) and definitely not for uninitiated. Free travel is a major incentive.

Cons

Viking has developed a means in which to keep company-wide commission payouts the same every year, in-spite of remarkable company-wide growth and expansion. It's obvious the company is quietly reigning in commission payouts, but doing it in a manner that gives the appearance of the earning potential still existing. But truthfully, for most, commissions have been capped and the top payout potential is largely unobtainable. The sheer amount of metrics in the payout structure alone are enough to make your eyes go crossed; the complexity of it all is laughable. Not a fun environment to be in when everyone has something to complain about on a daily basis.

Everything in the call center needs to be simplified. They've made it so complex at this critical time of growth, and missed an opportunity to scrap the things that were ineffectual carry-overs from when we were much smaller.

Great pay and the product is amazing- happy customers and happy employees

I have been working at Viking River Cruises

Pros

Good management / direct access with open door policy and pay is GREAT if you are good. Schedules are offered based on performance and senority which is great for a new employee. Typically in a call center the senior agents get the good schedules leaving the new employees with the left overs. Coworkers are great and friendly competition is fun.

Cons

The phones are very busy and its difficult to return all your calls and answer emails- time management! This is a call center with extended hours and schedules do require evenings and weekend shifts.

Streamline and merge some of the many programs and applications used. It's a lot of information in alot of different places.

A great company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Viking River Cruises full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a great team situation. We all get along and work together well. The management really wants the workers to succeed. They will send you on a cruise so you can feel what the customers feel, and it is free. The only thing you pay for is the bar tab (50% discount).

Cons

The only con I could think of is no longer part of the company.

We are sales professionals and money motivated

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Viking River Cruises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company holiday parties and free coffee

Cons

They keep changing the commission structure to the point that eve the Sr reps were disgruntled!

Glad I left just as it started getting worse

Quit being greedy and pick a commission structure that is a "win win" for everyone

Great pay, needs an hr dept

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Viking River Cruises

Pros

The pay is fantastic if you are a good salesperson. The people around you are funny and easy to get along with. You get to talk travel all day

Cons

Time off system needs an overhaul. Schedules change every few months on a shift bid system, hard to make future vacation plans, doctor appointments, etc

Hire a dedicated hr department, reward seniority more, especially around schedules. Allow people to mingle more between calls to keep up morale. Use encouragement rather than fear to boost numbers.

I worked at Viking as a Reservations Agent for a year. The company has great people, but their environment is brutal!

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Viking River Cruises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The People-I have to say that my co-workers and my boss were just wonderful, absolutely the best people I have worked for. They were all A+. They also have quite a few perks, (bagels on Friday's and bringing in lunch for the team" type of stuff, which makes it fun to work there). You can also make really good commissions if you hit your quotas and know how to sell. The product is generally (cruises they sell) well received and it's fun to book people on their dream vacation.

Cons

They have positively draconian policies in place. Every aspect of your appearance (even if you work in the call center and see NO ONE) is under scrutiny. They dock your commissions for every single infraction and write you up for being 50 seconds late. They offer wonderful travel bonuses but you can't take advantage of them unless you haven't been written up and EVERYONE there has a write up! Further, their marketing is misleading and sales/customer service have to deal with angry/pissed off people night and day, screaming that the company is lying in the way they advertise prices. It would be very simple to be more up front with their advertising and customers would feel better about the product.

Understand that the people working for you are human beings, you would have much more dedicated employees if you encouraged rather then discouraged people and let go of the turn of the century micro management of things that don't generate revenue for the company. All of the bagels in the world won't make up for not respecting your employees.

Drains your energy and wears you down

I worked at Viking River Cruises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good commissions if you make your numbers ( if not you earn zero ). Free parking. Candy bowls passed around office.

Cons

Micro - managing to the EXTREME. You have 2 minutes in between calls to make sure your applications are complete If you enter a phone number in the wrong line on the antiquated computer software - you lose the sale and commission. On weekends and after 5 pm you are required to call a supervisor hotline when you are in need of using the restroom facilities. Not fun if soething hasn't settled well after lunch -This is a joke and I am surprised a law suit has not been filed. You are required to sell approx 40% of all the sales calls you receive - however, not all the calls you receive are sales calls. If someone wants their name off of the mailing list, if someone has a question about a previously booked cruise, if someone is calling to make a payment on a previosly booked cruise - all these non sales calls COUNT against your metrics. You can work yourself to exhaustion and make ZERO in commissions because of it. Lastly, they fire everyone. If you apply here, be prepared to not last long as they really do not care about employees. You are HUGELY disposable. This company has a VERY NEGATIVE work environment.

Upper management should attend some "humanity" or "compassion" seminars....

Sure, it was alright.

Former Employee - Service Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Service Specialist in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Viking River Cruises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice incentives, everyone working there tends to be pretty professional. The company has high standards. It's like any other office with seasonal parties, monthly bagels, etc.

Cons

Extremely fast paced, unrealistic work pace. The management keeps raising the bar to absurd levels. There is favoritism in the workplace. If you step a toe out of line, you are out. They have crazy rules about absenteeism.

Chill, a little. You're working your staff like robots and they can't even get the time off to go to the doctor when you run them ill. The vacation is minimum and is not enough for your staff. They need vacation too.

Great opportunity with a fast growing company! If you can deal with changes constantly you will do just fine!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Viking River Cruises full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, company provides lunch at the end of each month! Twice a year company holds annual outings and holiday parties where other companies find it hard to recognize there employees for all their hard work! We work hard we play hard mentality! Overall Viking puts out a great product and has great employees who help deliver this product!

Cons

I think most views about Viking is subject to ones own personal experience and does not reflect the rest of the company! When viewing these reviews i hope one views it this way! Viking offers great compensation but maturity comes with that so those who don't understand the business of sales and delivering great customer service might not fit with any environment that has these responsibilities! As always proceed with caution on any review but use your own judgement when looking at the company as a whole! That goes for any company as well!

Look at the overall personal time, sick time and vacation time as we could accrue them at a faster rate that would allow your employees to have sometime to take off if needed rather then face anxiety of whether or not they will lose their job if they accrue to much infractions. Overall great management team to work with and always willing to help!

Good experience in the Air Operations department

Former Employee - Air Operations Department in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Air Operations Department in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Viking River Cruises full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice facilities and work area. In general, people in my department was welcoming.

Cons

Under staffing, high turnover and high workload make your work stressful. But you know, customer service is not always a rewarding job.

I consider they have a good training program. Company values their staff and ask for feedback about department issues. Monthly meeting very helpful in order to be aware of the position of the company and the news in the department.