Village Green

Jonathan Holtzman

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Village Green full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training program, and everyone that works for the company is down to earth and nice...so far. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Work on Saturday's or you get a random day off during the week because you have to get your 40 hours a week. Rotating on Saturday's kind of sucks.

This is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Village Green full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I Work with some good people.

Cons

None I can see at this time.

You can do so much better....

Former Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Village Green full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fair pay for the market. Attractive properties to manage.

Cons

Felt like a cult. The management seminar was an excuse to get everyone drunk...makes you think you actually enjoy your job for a brief time. Way too many binders to literally record every move you make. Excess of paperwork....makes you wonder when you have time to actually manage the property. During the management "training" we were lectured on the importance of providing fresh baked cookies, however nothing on how to use the website or how to enter in new hire paperwork...
    Just say no....please!
    From what I understand the ownership in my market pulled out and they don't have much of a presence here any longer.

Successful property management is not done behind a desk filling out forms for the forms you just filled out. Also reward staff with actual training, not your strange webinars.

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

This was a great opportunity for me to learn a lot about myself. I moved to a different city, got to know some great people and understood what it was like to be an adult, especially right out of college.

Cons

I didn't really have any issues with the company or the position. It was just bad timing. Manager had to go and I wasn't in an environment where I could flourish.

I would honestly have prefered to have been hired on as a sales consultant then move into the MIT program. Many of the successful MIT's in my region were previous employees who worked their way up. They seemed like the ones who would be the most successful.

Over-worked and under-appreciated. Thrown under the bus.

Former Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were decent.

Cons

Where to begin? First of all, I was never sent to "New Hire" training. Ever. But was expected to somehow know what the expectations were. I was thrown into a position after a promotion and given no training on anything. What I learned, I self-taught or had to attend a webinar. I was also given a staff that were all new to the apartment industry. Needless to say, it was a recipe for disaster and somehow, it ALL fell on my shoulders. Upper management pick and choose their favorites, and it's usually based on who is the best "yes man". The culture was somewhat cultish. I worked my butt off, put in long hours, got promoted, tried my hardest to deal with a "green" staff, pleaded for a transfer to a sister community, but in the end got blamed for ownership being unhappy. So, of course as the manager, it was all my fault. Funny how that same ownership decided to drop Village Green completely about a month after my termination.

Realize that site staff work their tails off. Realize that Regional VP's don't always have a clue as to what is actually happening on a site level. Realize that setting employees up for failure really isn't a good business model, nor will it keep or attract new talent.

Great company to work for, you can go far here.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant

I have been working at Village Green full-time

Pros

Great recognition throughout the company for People who are excelling. They promote from within about 99% of the time. Good base pay, great pay if you can get steady commission. Fun, young work environment. You can move up quick. All the tools to be great are provided to you through mentors, classes, etc. Paid time off and great benefits. Great coworkers. Ever expanding company with a great reputation. Most of regional management is easy to contact/talk to. The company is built around the success of the entry level positions.

Cons

Long hours (9-6 M-F, 9-730 on Thursdays). Almost guaranteed working one day a weekend if not both. Some properties have as little as 2 people, making it difficult for days off, sick days, etc. Some life changing decisions are expected to be made in a matter of a few hrs (Moving sites/states).

Pay attention and listen to the sales staff. They are the front line and the ones with the most direct interaction with people.

Bring your brooms, because it's a mess

I worked at Village Green

Pros

- Loved my co-workers

Cons

- Unclear goals.
    - People seem to work against each other more than with.
    - Very "old school" culture

Need to create a new, more modern working culture.

Dysfunctional at Best

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like to work in chaos with senior leadership that is dishonest and manipluating, you will love this place.

Cons

When ownership transition in 2012 and a key member of senor leader was replaced, we all had high hopes that the cultural of the company would change. Historically, it was a very disfunctional culture where people that had been abused in previpous relationships seemed to be able to survive the constant threat of being fired and being screamed and yelled at. Certain members of senior leadership have been known to yell and swear at employees so loudly that it could be heard throughout the corporate offce, at properties in ear shot of residents and even in airports when traveling for business. Again, there was hope that this would change in 2012 but it has gotten worse due to the additional control placed on a certain member of the leadership team under the 2012 new ownership. Another member of senior leadership has made this worse by making promises to employees and either failing to follow through or pretending that these promises were never made. This has led to a great deal of distrust and turn over at the executive and corporate levels. I had to get out of there!

The entire C-level in this organized needs to be replaced with one exception.

Great Place to Work, Sometimes Frustrating

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Village Green full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent hourly rate, and progressive commission structure creates great incentive to lease apartments. Company provides excellent sales classes to help and support staff. Mentor/mentee program provides additional training and support. Company is very good about promoting from within, and would rather promote current employee than hire someone from the outside.

Cons

Working weekends. Limited flexibility in hours (sales team has to be in the office when the office is open, 7 days a week.)

More support for operations. The theory is that "sales does sales," but often times that's unrealistic. Sales teams are forced to help residents with small requests and complaints. More staff in the office would help alleviate stress as well as provide better customer service.

Property Manager

Current Employee - Property Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Village Green full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The bonus are good and include sales commission.

Cons

The hours can get long.

Higher Salary