Village Green Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
2.5
Jonathan Holtzman

Pros
  • Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun People, Training, It is easy to move up within the company, great commission structure, easy but entertaining work (in 3 reviews)

• Great training, good benefits, higher pay than most property management companies (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not very supportive and is very disorganized (in 5 reviews)

• Little to no room for advancement unless you work out of the corporate office (in 3 reviews)

No work life balance, skeleton crew staffing and unrealistic expectations, aggressive leadership styles.

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

Great people work for the company, pay is higher than the industry average, great training program and promotion from within.

Cons

Aggressive leadership styles, unrealistic expectations for minimal staffing. 9-12 hour work days for management. Slow paying of vendors.

Consider your staffing requirements. It's clearly an issue when the same problems are surfacing at multiple properties. This job is great if you don't have a family or a life to go home to and the only thing that matters is the company.

Very tense place to work

I worked at Village Green

Pros

Pay was decent for the industry.

Cons

The owner is a bit of a megalomaniac, and is quite abusive to his employees. While I had no direct contact with him, he could often be heard screaming obscenities throughout the office, generally directed at one of the employees. It made for a "walking on eggshells" type of environment that trickled down from senior level all the way down to entry level employees.

You will get better performance from employees who are not terrified.

Rewarded Very Well- But Owned! Very High Expectation But GREAT Training & Experience.

I have been working at Village Green full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional Training Offered Constantly, Great Benefits, Always Someone There To Help You, Geniunly Interested In Sucess and Being The Best.

Cons

Expect Late Hours, They Will Decide What Property You Work At If You Are Good At Your Job. In 3 Years I Have Worked at 7 Properties With Very Short Notice. They Have No Regaurd For Your Family Or Personal Life. This Job Is Great For Single People Looking To Build Experience, Not Suited For People Who Crave Stability.

I fully believe in what you are doing, get your HR department together! You don't produce/keep enough talented Sales people to compensate your growth- and your managers are to off-hands in sales and are basically glorified accountants half the time.

I wouldn't let my worst enemy work here...

Former Employee - Communications Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Communications Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Honstly... I was asked this during my exit interview and I couldn't come up with anything other than its a job.

Cons

To start off if I could give Village Green no stars I would.

Here is a list of just a few of the cons:
    - No work life balance, you are looked down upon if you leave on time (work day was from 9-6) take a lunch or use your PTO/vacation days.
    - Management is corrupt from the top down, none of them know the phrase "lead by example". They would tell you how you should act and then act the complete opposite.
    - There was little praise for a job well done but blame was always being assigned when something went wrong.
    -There was no team mentality, I was thrown under the bus multiple time and was left to deal with issues that were not my responsibility to handle because my superiors did not know how to do their jobs.
    -Lots of what they call "politics" but is actually high school aged drama
    -Unable to prioritize, everything was a fire drill which was unnecessary! It was expected to have clear thought plans and execute them in an unreasonable time frame. These task were completed (majority in that short amount of time given) and then there was never an feedback or further steps from the party that requested the job.
    ....The list goes on and on...

Overall if you want to work at a horrible self involved company that will age you prematurely you should definitely apply to work at Village Green!

Learn how to manage and care about you employees and not just your own personal gain.

too much work piled on impossible expectations

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician

I worked at Village Green

Pros

good benefits, lots of overtime

Cons

Long hours, ridiculous work load, no support form management

none

Not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, MI

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good job out of college but not to stay long term.

Cons

Worked at corporate office. Owner and management can make it unbearable and owner is very rude to employees - first week there I had his hand in my face for answering a question he asked - have seen him yell at employees for no reason. Owner and c levels can be cut throat, with no reason to fire you.

8. Great people to work with

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

Decent wages, Great Management, advancement oppurtunities

Cons

Business can be slow at times

Keep up the good work

A nightmare you cannot wake up from.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Village Green

Pros

Decent health insurance. Nifty ensemble.

Cons

Abusive, Nazi-like tactics. Non-supportive management team. Rogue, low talent managers selected from thin talent pool allowed to run amok and abuse their site staffs without corporate office intervention or assistance. I cared more about the site and the residents than the manager, i.e., residents secretly and sometimes openly complained about blatantly uncaring property manager. Property manager routinely said she had no motivation. If you go to corporate she would make you pay. Entire site staff turned over due to this manager save one employee. Who knows now? Property management is a very inhospitable business and Village Green is the most inhospitable work environment I have ever worked in. Strong-arming tactics such as threatening to write you up for anything and everything was a daily reality. Thuggery on the part of management seemed to be the order of the day at Village Green. Expect to pay out of pocket for office supplies and never get reimbursed. Sales Trainers show up at sites and actually throw files on the ground for affect as they as they try to intimidate and threaten site staff. The overall experience was like having a stress test every day. Your reward was getting a chance to be abused the next day.

Just like Dorothy and her pals, seek out the Wizard and do what is necessary to be granted a brain (redundant processes, outdated computer software) some courage to do do right by your employees and most of all, a heart so that you can actually care about your employees and residents alike. And perhaps a pair of eyeglasses so you can really see what is going on with your employees, especially those working at the site level where most of the abuse takes place.

Worst experience of my life. Unprofessional, manipulative and dysfunctional environment.

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None. Don't even consider interviewing here.

Cons

Working here was an absolute nightmare. My experience was awful: really long hours, witnessing and hearing of a lot of abuse from management and if you leave on time at the end of a normal workday (6:00 pm) people look at you like you're not dedicated. It's a highly unprofessional environment that offers zero balance to your personal life.

Awful environment which starts from the top down.
    If you see openings for this company, there's a reason why.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than a year)

Pros

...a paycheck? But, I'm willing to be unemployed to avoid working there, so, scratch that.
    Free dinners on Thursday's consisting of dry, grilled, flavorless chicken.
    Open bar at company convention.

Cons

VERY HIGH TURNOVER RATE.
    Lack of leadership overall.
    Zero engagement with employees experiences and well-being.
    Horrible work/life atmosphere and culture.
    Unreasonably stressful (make stress out of thin air from poor organization and marketing strategy).
    Inability to control creative department visions.
    Expect to remain stagnant/decline in personal and career growth.
    Expect to have no support/mentoring from superiors.
    Lots of "high school drama."
    It will suck the joy and energy out of your life and make you chronically sick.
    Dysfunctional micro-management from the top down - waste efforts on the wrong topics.
    Boring, too small, ugly, yellow office.
    Just don't work here.

Learn how to make your employees happy so that they want to work for you. It not much to ask for..the golden rule, folks.