Village Green

Updated January 12, 2015
Updated January 12, 2015
2.7

Jonathan Holtzman

A nightmare you cannot wake up from.

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Village Green

Pros

Decent health insurance. Nifty ensemble.

Cons

Abusive, Nazi-like tactics. Non-supportive management team. Rogue, low talent managers selected from thin talent pool allowed to run amok and abuse their site staffs without corporate office intervention or assistance. I cared more about the site and the residents than the manager, i.e., residents secretly and sometimes openly complained about blatantly uncaring property manager. Property manager routinely said she had no motivation. If you go to corporate she would make you pay. Entire site staff turned over due to this manager save one employee. Who knows now? Property management is a very inhospitable business and Village Green is the most inhospitable work environment I have ever worked in. Strong-arming tactics such as threatening to write you up for anything and everything was a daily reality. Thuggery on the part of management seemed to be the order of the day at Village Green. Expect to pay out of pocket for office supplies and never get reimbursed. Sales Trainers show up at sites and actually throw files on the ground for affect as they as they try to intimidate and threaten site staff. The overall experience was like having a stress test every day. Your reward was getting a chance to be abused the next day.

Just like Dorothy and her pals, seek out the Wizard and do what is necessary to be granted a brain (redundant processes, outdated computer software) some courage to do do right by your employees and most of all, a heart so that you can actually care about your employees and residents alike. And perhaps a pair of eyeglasses so you can really see what is going on with your employees, especially those working at the site level where most of the abuse takes place.

Best Company I have ever worked for. I hope to stay with VG for many more years to come!

Current Employee - Property Manager
    Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

Training, customer service, feeling like you can make a difference with the company.

Cons

I have no cons about working with Village Green.

Abusive Relationship

I have been working at Village Green full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Started as a Sales Consultant and was promoted multiple times. Good pay for the market

Cons

I am in an abusive relationship with my job...Expect to work long hours (12 hour days 6 days a week on average), be berated by the CEO for reasons insignificant to the overall performance of a site and loose all semblance of a personal life just to get a pat on the back at the end of the day. Not asking for money or recognition, just more realistic goals with better tools to achieve them.

Keep the CEO in the boardroom

OK company

I worked at Village Green

Pros

good managment training program an promote from within

Cons

too much micro mangement rom uppermanagment to lower management

Sales Consultant

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Village Green full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great training program, and everyone that works for the company is down to earth and nice...so far. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Work on Saturday's or you get a random day off during the week because you have to get your 40 hours a week. Rotating on Saturday's kind of sucks.

DON'T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME

Former Employee - Maintenance in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a job, really thats about it. I cant find any other good qualities of why anyone would want to work with any Village Green property.

Cons

They will never actually come through on their promises to the employee even if they are in writing. The upper management keeps getting replaced just for doing their job, we have to sign disclosures to not tell the new managers why the old one got let go even when the new one doing what the old one got fired for. The people running the company keep repeating the same things expecting different results. I had 6 property managers in one year and 8 sales staff all totally screwed by the owners of the company. They will bring you in from out of state, give you a apartment in their nice building, then fire you dumping you there with no job, no way home, and a bill for the time you where in the apartment they where giving you. I was let go because I had physical therapy twice a week from getting into a traffic accident, it was not a work related injury so they decided let me go because I was missing a few hours a week of work even tho I was a super dedicated employee that always put in my 40 hours and stay late to make sure all the residents had what they needed.

Stop putting your employees through the ringer. You keep making the same mistakes and then firing the people working super hard for you just to bring someone new in and try the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. That is the definition of insanity.

JUST SAY NO OR YOU WILL BE SORRY

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

There really are none at Village Green

Cons

Long hours. No personal life. Job is challenging all around. Your actually stalked by your property manager, regional manager, the marketing manager who has the intelligence of a 6th grader.

No advice to management

WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE GREEN CULT

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

very little pros about this company

Cons

Be prepared to be micro-managed by this company, Most apartment communities are understaffed and overworked,, The expectations of the company are out of control. Very aggressive Management company. constantly harassing employees in every way. Also don't expect to have a personal life if you decide to take a career with village green ...

TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED..... HOPEFULLY THE OWNERS READ THESE REVIEWS IT WOULD BE NICE FOR THEM TO SEE HOW MANAGEMENT TREATS THE EMPLOYEES.
    THEY DEFINATELY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE EMPLOYEES

You can do so much better....

Former Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Village Green full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay for the market. Attractive properties to manage.

Cons

Felt like a cult. The management seminar was an excuse to get everyone drunk...makes you think you actually enjoy your job for a brief time. Way too many binders to literally record every move you make. Excess of paperwork....makes you wonder when you have time to actually manage the property. During the management "training" we were lectured on the importance of providing fresh baked cookies, however nothing on how to use the website or how to enter in new hire paperwork...
    Just say no....please!
    From what I understand the ownership in my market pulled out and they don't have much of a presence here any longer.

Successful property management is not done behind a desk filling out forms for the forms you just filled out. Also reward staff with actual training, not your strange webinars.

This is a good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Village Green full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I Work with some good people.

Cons

None I can see at this time.