Village Green

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
2.9

Jonathan Holtzman

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

This was a great opportunity for me to learn a lot about myself. I moved to a different city, got to know some great people and understood what it was like to be an adult, especially right out of college.

Cons

I didn't really have any issues with the company or the position. It was just bad timing. Manager had to go and I wasn't in an environment where I could flourish.

I would honestly have prefered to have been hired on as a sales consultant then move into the MIT program. Many of the successful MIT's in my region were previous employees who worked their way up. They seemed like the ones who would be the most successful.

Great company to work for, you can go far here.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant

I have been working at Village Green full-time

Pros

Great recognition throughout the company for People who are excelling. They promote from within about 99% of the time. Good base pay, great pay if you can get steady commission. Fun, young work environment. You can move up quick. All the tools to be great are provided to you through mentors, classes, etc. Paid time off and great benefits. Great coworkers. Ever expanding company with a great reputation. Most of regional management is easy to contact/talk to. The company is built around the success of the entry level positions.

Cons

Long hours (9-6 M-F, 9-730 on Thursdays). Almost guaranteed working one day a weekend if not both. Some properties have as little as 2 people, making it difficult for days off, sick days, etc. Some life changing decisions are expected to be made in a matter of a few hrs (Moving sites/states).

Pay attention and listen to the sales staff. They are the front line and the ones with the most direct interaction with people.

Bring your brooms, because it's a mess

I worked at Village Green

Pros

- Loved my co-workers

Cons

- Unclear goals.
    - People seem to work against each other more than with.
    - Very "old school" culture

Need to create a new, more modern working culture.

Dysfunctional at Best

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Village Green full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like to work in chaos with senior leadership that is dishonest and manipluating, you will love this place.

Cons

When ownership transition in 2012 and a key member of senor leader was replaced, we all had high hopes that the cultural of the company would change. Historically, it was a very disfunctional culture where people that had been abused in previpous relationships seemed to be able to survive the constant threat of being fired and being screamed and yelled at. Certain members of senior leadership have been known to yell and swear at employees so loudly that it could be heard throughout the corporate offce, at properties in ear shot of residents and even in airports when traveling for business. Again, there was hope that this would change in 2012 but it has gotten worse due to the additional control placed on a certain member of the leadership team under the 2012 new ownership. Another member of senior leadership has made this worse by making promises to employees and either failing to follow through or pretending that these promises were never made. This has led to a great deal of distrust and turn over at the executive and corporate levels. I had to get out of there!

The entire C-level in this organized needs to be replaced with one exception.

Great Place to Work, Sometimes Frustrating

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Village Green full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent hourly rate, and progressive commission structure creates great incentive to lease apartments. Company provides excellent sales classes to help and support staff. Mentor/mentee program provides additional training and support. Company is very good about promoting from within, and would rather promote current employee than hire someone from the outside.

Cons

Working weekends. Limited flexibility in hours (sales team has to be in the office when the office is open, 7 days a week.)

More support for operations. The theory is that "sales does sales," but often times that's unrealistic. Sales teams are forced to help residents with small requests and complaints. More staff in the office would help alleviate stress as well as provide better customer service.

Property Manager

Current Employee - Property Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Village Green full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The bonus are good and include sales commission.

Cons

The hours can get long.

Higher Salary

Be careful working here, some residents record you after they done cussed you out!!

Former Employee - Concierge in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Concierge in Chicago, IL

I worked at Village Green part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ok pay, nice workers and some residents are nice.

Cons

Long hours
    Whatever a resident say goes.
    management believe everything the residents says.
    It's a bar next door to the property I worked where the owner and his son stay in the building and the son gives people lots of problems.
    They don't care about your outside life.
    Employees don't have a fair chance and they wonder why they have a high turn over rate.
    All the black people are the ones being carefully watch in the properties in chicago.
    They will stab you in your back quick.
    Heavy lifting with residents ordering lots of packages everyday.
    Very boring job

All the time residents don't tell the whole truth. The concierge position is not the great and you wonder why people keep leaving your company.

Ok pay/benefits but toxic, crazy and annoying corporate management.

I have been working at Village Green (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, people at site level

Cons

Management (not including a few) do not know what they are doing. They have unrealistic expectations and like to blame site employees for everything. They constantly harass and belittle employees. They don't have the budget for the upkeep required of some sites because only certain sites receive $. Left over communities are neglected and staff and residents are frustrated.

Good out of college but don't stay long after that.

I have been working at Village Green full-time

Pros

Decent Pay and lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Upper management is not very supportive and is very disorganized. Prepare to ask for help, not get it, and then be thrown under the bus when you fail.

Good, until I became a target

I worked at Village Green full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits, fun staff

Cons

Management failed to provide necessary to staff members, including myself. Minimal opportunities for advancement unless you relocated.