Village Green Reviews

Updated May 20, 2015
61 reviews filtered by
2.4
Jonathan Holtzman

Pros
  • Benefits, Flexible Hours, Fun People, Training, It is easy to move up within the company, great commission structure, easy but entertaining work (in 3 reviews)

• Great training, good benefits, higher pay than most property management companies (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not very supportive and is very disorganized (in 5 reviews)

• Little to no room for advancement unless you work out of the corporate office (in 3 reviews)

1. Great.

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

Perfect place in company.

Cons

I have nothing to say is great.

it's a paycheck

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great cow-workers
    -higher than average pay
    -promotions from within are easily attainable
    -benefits are better than most

Cons

-Management (PM's and AD's) are strictly off-hands outside of their offices. completely out of touch with residents, employees, and the general state of the property.
    - Like with any corporate entity, if you don't have a friend in senior management, you will go nowhere.
    -Unrealistic expectations. not even remotely attainable
    -Residents consistently complain about managements out of touch style.
    - I wouldn't recommend working with Village Green long term, unless you wish to age prematurely.

Advice to Management

-Stop raising the rent every time the wind blows.
    - Value your employees

Just don't.

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Village Green full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good (although they always seem to have a reason as to why it's inconvenient for you to use your personal time off). They manage a number of high-quality properties, which provides for an aesthetically pleasing work environment. A mixed bag, but I worked with some mid-level employees and staff that were very competent and took pride in their job.

Cons

What can I say that other reviewers haven’t already said? There is a great deal of management ineptitude that seems to start at the top of the organization and trickle down into the regional level. Many of the more recent reviews that you can see on this website outline what I noted to be true as well: a backstabbing approach to managing personnel, and a consistent practice of scapegoating and blame-shifting.

Threats, coercion, and scare tactics are, increasingly, the primary management tools used within this organization. Employees are frequently threatened with write-ups over the most trivial of “offenses”. The company deliberately maintains heavy volumes of policies that are sporadically enforced. There is a multitude of absurd policies and regulations that are widely acknowledged to be irrelevant and unimportant, even by members of regional management—that is, until said managers need an avenue to blame you for their own failures. Overall, there is a decided absence of basic business sense and entrepreneurial spirit at the regional level, with regional VPs and area directors who are intellectually overwhelmed by the task at hand, and who attempt to mask and compensate for these deficiencies by bullying and intimidating middle managers and staff.

Advice to Management

My advice to management: A professional services firm that marginalizes and devalues its employees? Good luck with that.

My advice to prospective job-seekers: Look for employment elsewhere, with a company that has a better corporate culture and respect for its employees. If you do decide to take a job here, start looking for another job as soon as you start getting signals that you’re becoming a target.

Overworked, underpaid, can't wait to leave!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not one thing I can think of that doesn't directly relate to a con.

Cons

Don't plan on taking your vacation unless you want to fall behind.
    Unless you are friends with you PM or AD don't except to be treated fairly.
    Sales mangers act like they run the place, bad attitudes and hostile work environment.
    401K match is a joke, only 25% of the first 3% matched.
    Bad managers and incompetence.
    Working off the clock if you expect to get everything done, won't pay overtime.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are compensated fairly for the work you expect.
    Actually hold people to fair housing standards as rules are definitely not followed.
    Don't discriminate due to age, all I hear is we want young employees.
    Training is redundant, no one actually follows it and if you do your manager gets mad.

No work life balance, skeleton crew staffing and unrealistic expectations, aggressive leadership styles.

I have been working at Village Green

Pros

Great people work for the company, pay is higher than the industry average, great training program and promotion from within.

Cons

Aggressive leadership styles, unrealistic expectations for minimal staffing. 9-12 hour work days for management. Slow paying of vendors.

Advice to Management

Consider your staffing requirements. It's clearly an issue when the same problems are surfacing at multiple properties. This job is great if you don't have a family or a life to go home to and the only thing that matters is the company.

Very tense place to work

I worked at Village Green

Pros

Pay was decent for the industry.

Cons

The owner is a bit of a megalomaniac, and is quite abusive to his employees. While I had no direct contact with him, he could often be heard screaming obscenities throughout the office, generally directed at one of the employees. It made for a "walking on eggshells" type of environment that trickled down from senior level all the way down to entry level employees.

Advice to Management

You will get better performance from employees who are not terrified.

Rewarded Very Well- But Owned! Very High Expectation But GREAT Training & Experience.

I have been working at Village Green full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional Training Offered Constantly, Great Benefits, Always Someone There To Help You, Geniunly Interested In Sucess and Being The Best.

Cons

Expect Late Hours, They Will Decide What Property You Work At If You Are Good At Your Job. In 3 Years I Have Worked at 7 Properties With Very Short Notice. They Have No Regaurd For Your Family Or Personal Life. This Job Is Great For Single People Looking To Build Experience, Not Suited For People Who Crave Stability.

Advice to Management

I fully believe in what you are doing, get your HR department together! You don't produce/keep enough talented Sales people to compensate your growth- and your managers are to off-hands in sales and are basically glorified accountants half the time.

I wouldn't let my worst enemy work here...

Former Employee - Communications Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Communications Project Manager in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Village Green full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honstly... I was asked this during my exit interview and I couldn't come up with anything other than its a job.

Cons

To start off if I could give Village Green no stars I would.

Here is a list of just a few of the cons:
    - No work life balance, you are looked down upon if you leave on time (work day was from 9-6) take a lunch or use your PTO/vacation days.
    - Management is corrupt from the top down, none of them know the phrase "lead by example". They would tell you how you should act and then act the complete opposite.
    - There was little praise for a job well done but blame was always being assigned when something went wrong.
    -There was no team mentality, I was thrown under the bus multiple time and was left to deal with issues that were not my responsibility to handle because my superiors did not know how to do their jobs.
    -Lots of what they call "politics" but is actually high school aged drama
    -Unable to prioritize, everything was a fire drill which was unnecessary! It was expected to have clear thought plans and execute them in an unreasonable time frame. These task were completed (majority in that short amount of time given) and then there was never an feedback or further steps from the party that requested the job.
    ....The list goes on and on...

Overall if you want to work at a horrible self involved company that will age you prematurely you should definitely apply to work at Village Green!

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and care about you employees and not just your own personal gain.

too much work piled on impossible expectations

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician

I worked at Village Green

Pros

good benefits, lots of overtime

Cons

Long hours, ridiculous work load, no support form management

Advice to Management

none

Not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington, MI

I worked at Village Green full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job out of college but not to stay long term.

Cons

Worked at corporate office. Owner and management can make it unbearable and owner is very rude to employees - first week there I had his hand in my face for answering a question he asked - have seen him yell at employees for no reason. Owner and c levels can be cut throat, with no reason to fire you.

RSS Feed </> Embed