Village Inn

3.2

John A. Martino

Hostess

I have been working at Village Inn

Pros

Awesome food and great co-workers!

Cons

Not enough hours at times.

Dissatisfied Host

Current Employee - Host
    Current Employee - Host

I have been working at Village Inn part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above minimum wage, good customer service experience, management has good leadership skills, works with school schedule, co-workers are great, time requested off in advance is usually given

Cons

Bad training, stressful for menial work you are doing, doing work outside of your job description (cleaning toilets, grout), management doesn't communicate, understaffing due to waves of low business, customers will be upset if you are not constantly smiling

Make schedules realistic because people rely on these hours to make a living, communicate with each other, follow the book if you want your employees to follow the book

Upbeat

Current Employee - Host in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Host in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Village Inn part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful customers. They are all so nice even when they have a complaint

Cons

The management is terrible! The assistant manager seems to always be in a bad mood and the general manager is super nice but can't figure out how to let the employees do their jobs.

Get on the same page it would make the work experience for your employees so much better.

Spineless under educated management...

Current Employee - Cook in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Cook in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Village Inn part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the fact that they serve decent food at a somewhat affordable prices. Promotions are always talked about as a career path. Encouraged to be ridiculously fast paced even when there is no need to be. The egg dishes were good.

Cons

This place serves all preprepared food. No skill or basic culinary knowledge needed. Speed is always thought of as an asset, with no regard to the quality of the product. It seems everyone has had a drug problem, or legal troubles. This a place where "turn and burn" was invented. Everything is prepared with little thought of quality. I've heard that in the past they had contests to see who was fastest. Food is precooked and finished on a griddle. Eggs are the only product that is made fresh on the premises. Their famous pies are frozen then decorated with whipped cream making them look pretty. Still you have to question the quality of a frozen pie made off premises. No skill needed. If you are passionate for the culinary arts this is not your place at all. Speed over quality. That really should be the company motto.

Hours are hard to come by, and you usually are sent home early. Benefits are available to employees that work over 30 hours. No medical unless you choose to use Obama Care. I did not know of a single employee that really enjoyed their job. All of the reasons to stay are based on whether you can fit it in with a second job. After all you can't live on what they pay you.

Wish I was still there

I worked at Village Inn

Pros

Great company to work for. Really felt like a contributing member of the team. Was treated as an equal by superiors.

Cons

Long hours, staffing issues made it so I spent a good portion of my time doing hourly employees responsibilities. Tiring.

This store has had some growing pains lately, however it does seem to be under new audit for future potential stability.

Former Employee - Waitress in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Waitress in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Village Inn part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very customer oriented, Great Pie's, most server's truely care about customer dining experience.

Cons

Too much gossiping, too much lack of concern for co-workers well being, and not enough hand washing after a cigarette breaks.

Gossip is contagious, if you are part of the solution, then you are not the initial problem. Because if you fight for the better good of your employees, then they will willing and able to fulfill any and all company policies, values, and projected future production goals.

Low pay rate and few hours

Former Employee - Hostess in Papillion, NE
    Former Employee - Hostess in Papillion, NE

I worked at Village Inn part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a discount for the restaraunt.

Cons

Paid minimum wage and I was literally given 2 hours a week. Supervisor was unnecessarily strict.

Don't be so critical of your employees. There's a fine line between effective leadership and being drunk with power.

Ok place to work, fast paced

I worked at Village Inn part-time

Pros

Meeting new people, making new friends, free pie whenever, sometimes I would get to take home full pies for free.

Cons

Very fast paced servers get mad if you have to seat them twice, customers who are mean, bosses don't give you a break. My bosses would sometimes make me work my whole shift then make me take my break when my shift was over...pretty sure that is illegal.

Highly educational

Former Employee - Motel General Manager/Lodging Manager
    Former Employee - Motel General Manager/Lodging Manager

I worked at Village Inn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They seem to believe in thier vision

Cons

Too many hours with no help

Remember

Overall good experience if your not scared to Work

I worked at Village Inn

Pros

Decent salary and benefits package

Cons

Long hours...sometimes up to 70 hrs work week

Scheduled managers 50 hrs and stick to it.

Village Inn Photos