Vinfen Corporation

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
2.8

Dr. Bruce L. Bird

Fantastic managerial team. It was the best work environment in terms of support I have experienced

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse

I worked at Vinfen Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Direct upper management was excellent. My co-workers were amazing. I could always rely on them .

Cons

Schedule has little flexibility compared to other nursing positions

Vinfen has been a great company to work for thus far. All of my co-workers are wonderful and the work load is manageable. There are far more positives than negatives. I've enjoyed participating in activities outside of work with the company and have found co-workers and upper management to be helpful.

Current Employee - Rehabilitation Coordinator in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Rehabilitation Coordinator in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, everyone really tries to help each other out, there celebrations of birthdays, people leaving, holidays and getting time off is easy. Communication between all vinfen locations and upper management is involved in listening to your concerns/questions/etc. They raise money for clients and participate in community activities. Clients are treated with respect and its viewable that staff really want to make a difference in their clients lives. Advocating to get salaries increased and have great benefits packages.

Cons

The only negative thing I can't think of is there's a lot of turn over as it can sometimes be a temporary position for some people. This creates more stress and a higher work load for others. Some positions are paid really low which doesnt match the work they do.

Theres not much they can do about the high turn over rate. Im sure salaries for some positions are quite low.

Clinical Coordinator Lowell

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation

Pros

Absolutely NONE. This corp represents the worst of the bottom-feeders. Don't even waste your time interviewing with them

Cons

Like the majority of so-called mental health corps, management are the only ones who benefit from their exorbitant 6 figure salaries. Their non-profit IRS status should be revoked since all they are interested in is profit so as to give the CEO and his upper mgnt lackeys larger and larger salaries. At least the for-profits make no effort to hide their greed to enhance mgnt salaries off the back of their workers (usually fee-for-service ... so you don't get paid for clients who don't show up, since many of them are only looking for meds ... not psychotherapy)

My recent interview in Lowell was a total nightmare. It was readily apparent that the woman interviewer was looking for a clone of herself. The ad failed to mention that being on-call was a requirement (false advertizing!). The irregular hours including rotating weekends ensure that you will have no private life, Vinfen will own you. The focus as others have pointed out in similar reviews is paperwork in order to satisfy the insatiable greed of management.

The fact that the field workers are unqualified (Khmer speakers used to access billing income off of the Cambodian population) is not the fault of the workers who have a hs degree, and are paid peanuts. The expectation that hey have any familiarity with mental health treatment, or the DSM V, or how to write the obsessive progress notes in perfect English is patently absurd. But they wanted me to "solve this problem" The real problem is systemic, starting with upper management and then trickled down to the level where the workers are blamed for the ineptitude of the management staff who through omission or commission created and have maintained the "problem" .

Although you will need to use your vehicle (they're too cheap to give you a company car like legitimate organization),and they do not even provide you with auto ins! They expect you to use your car and take the insurance and physical risk for hauling schizophrenics around in it. Explain that to your insurance company when you have an accident. They will not cover the claim! Nor is their any compensation for the wear and tear on your vehicle, or the depreciation in value due to the ever increasing accumulation of miles.

They wanted me to "fix" the problem of the workers not being able to write progress notes in English and get them submitted "within 3 days, or we won't get paid". But I was not to "supervise" these individuals. A perfect setup for the the workers to complain to the team leader who feigns to be their little buddy, but has yet to address the problems she wanted me to fix. The workers would invariably complain to her about me, and then she would complain to me about the "complaints" she receives from her minions.

The whole thing is SICK and motivated by nothing other than the greed of the CEO and management to maintain their ever increasing bloated salaries while the real folks busting their butts, at the bottom get peanuts, criticism, and psychologically abused.

But what else is new, this is what the so-called mental health field has been reduced to.

Mu advice and that of many others who have been through the wringer of these creeps, seek employment in any other field. Working at Mc Donalds is a far better choice and your not likely to be abused and taken advantage of on an ongoing basis.

Get out of the business. You are the antithesis af anything having to do with improving mental health, your management system creates mental illness.

Residential counselor

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefit package is really good. The coworkers are great.

Cons

The pay is too little. Management don't care for rmployees

Treat us with respect please

Overall a good company with some flaws in the management and "promotion system"

Former Employee - CNA in Jamaica Plain, MA
    Former Employee - CNA in Jamaica Plain, MA

I worked at Vinfen Corporation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company overall with good benefits and fairly good schedules.

Cons

Hard to transfer to a full time position when you are part-time, and the promotions are even harder if not impossible from within.

Look at the talented individuals within your company and promote base on capabilities and not because of the person who referred them.

Company that cares

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management, and the vast majority of the staff, truly care about the individuals we serve. Great fun working with the individuals. Lots of opportunities for advancement for staff in direct care. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Culture change needed, redundant paperwork, high turnover. Technology is difficult to work with.

Management should lead by example and make quality of life and clinical support as emphasized as proper documentation.

Working environment

I have been working at Vinfen Corporation

Pros

the working environment is relaxed

Cons

there are no pay raises

Stressful, unsupportive management in pysch rehab division

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at Vinfen Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are not enough licensed staff at the agency to do the work. Even worse they hire management that are not trained clinicians!!!! These people have little knowledge of mental health care, have little education, no internships, and zero clinical supervision. Its the blind leading the blind. How do you have a mental health company with no mental health educated professionals in management. The managers can't even write a basic psychosocial and are unaware that they know very little. Vinfen hates staff that question authority and try to collaborate with management. The staff on the teams are mostly really great hard working caring people. This agency is strong from the bottom up, the higher you go, the less competent, caring, supportive, or skilled the staff seem to be. DMH should turn the company over to the direct care staff and the company would improve greatly and save money to pay staff better. The CEO makes over $400,000 and staff that work their butts off make between $24,000- $36,000, even as a program director. This model is hurting clients, no consistent good workers, and creating huge safety issues for both staff and clients. Vinfen no longer serves the same population they did 20 years ago and cannot keep the same model, please change it. This is no good for the people we serve.

Cons

Everything. Please see the above and below.

Get rid of the management staff that have been there forever and only moved up by being a "yes", person. Teach everyone proper management styles, get rid of those who can't comply and are outright mean. Look at trends of who is quitting and provide clinical supervision to all staff by a qualified person to provide. A TOTAL culture change is needed!!!!

Great experience

I worked at Vinfen Corporation

Pros

Work is interesting, staff are very supportive. Atmosphere can be greta depending on position. Always found the support and resources that I needed at this company.

Cons

Many projects, hectic schedule, can be stressful

Corporation

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vinfen Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clients were great to work with

Cons

Human Services ran as a corporaton