Viracon

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Don Pyatt

Could be good but company lacks good mid level management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay is fair, when there was profit sharing it was a nice bonus.

ConsThey treat people like cattle. Was forced to keep impending layoff's from employees. Company didn't care how shift changes and layoff's would affect peoples lives and gave people no notice. People who were forced to change shifts were only given 1 day to determine if they could arrange their lives to do so. This was very unfair to people who needed day care, etc. They could have let people know weeks in advance that their schedule was going to change. Poor poor leadership and middle management level. There were people who were verbally abusive to people and HR or their boss would say "oh that's just how he is". Instead those people should be let go, but because they lack good leadership in that mid level of management these people continue work there.

Great, until they closed the plant.

IG Production Worker (Former Employee) Saint George, UT

ProsGood benefits and pay, great bosses, good safety rules, diverse team members, good ethics.
    They even did various rewards and games to keep employees motivated to be safe and healthy.

ConsWe had to work twelve hour days with only one 20 minute lunch. Also the twelve hour days were weird rotating shifts, one week it was Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, the next week it was Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. And standing/walking on cement the whole shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementReopen plant and rehire us back and give two twenty minute breaks. Plus a restart of the quarterly bonuses would be nice.

Challenging, exciting and fun but in the end sadness because of shut down.

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Saint George, UT

ProsSolid company, good pay and benefits opportunity to advance.The employees have a voice in some of the decision making and their voices are heard. Management takes notice of a job well done.

ConsSome of the big impact decisions on employees are last minute, no chance to make adjustments in your schedule. We had many different shift changes and they were communicated to us last minute

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open communication with what can be shared, and more advance notice when things are going to affect general population of plant

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My job at Viracon

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Owatonna, MN

ProsGreat working schedule and great people to work with

ConsNot a very good profit sharing

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on better profit sharing

Typical factory job

Rackloader/Recorder (Former Employee) Owatonna, MN

ProsDecent pay
    This job will depend on the people you work with

ConsTerribly hot in the summer, short breaks

they have treated me very well

Insulating (Current Employee) Owatonna, MN

Prosthere are alot of changes going at the time and i can see that they are very positive, as long as we follow through with them. i also believe safety is one of the top priority of this company.

Consi believe that management with there college degree, thinks that they are smarter than those on the floor. they withhold alot of information., but i still like working there, but it is a factory life , so you just go with the flow.

Advice to Senior Managementi am glad that (Mr Huffer) has taken back the leadership. it's a start to turn this company around again. He is one in management that i can trust.

Solid pay, have treated me well over the years.

Loader/Unloader Seamer Tempering (Current Employee) Owatonna, MN

ProsI feel part of the team and my work is recognized and acknowledged well.

ConsHave been with Curvlite/Viracon for 20+ years and still doing base jobs on line, would like to be moved up!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a look at some of your long term players and give them a job that matches experience!

Started off good, but went down hill and its getting ugly now.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) St. George, UT

ProsThe only thing that would be a plus is that I have a job, but I not so sure anymore.

ConsViracon has grown to big and everybody is now just a number. Hard work and honesty are now a thing of the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take a class or something! Never ask someone to do something if you cant do it your self. You all need help.

Was ok until the economy took a dive. Employees are treated like crap at this facility.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) St. George, UT

ProsBecause it is a job and has decent benefits.

ConsLack of respect from management, not enough hours to make ends meet. Glass is more important than the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some classes on how to respect, show appreciation, and how to motivate your employees. The employees are not 5 year old children, so stop treating them this way. Word of mouth is a valuable thing, and Viracon's name is not held very highly.

Production supervisor

Production Supervisor (Former Employee) Owatonna, MN

ProsNice compensation with a decent benefits package. It was very easy work at the supervisor level. Paid overtime in this position, 3 or 4 day work week, profit sharing each quarter

ConsIts a smaller company without much opportunity for upward mobility past the manager level. Its fairly common for somone to remain a supervisor for 15+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo thank you, im not on the payroll anymore

Worked for Viracon? Contribute to the Community!