Virgin America

Virgin America Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Virgin America CEO C. David Cush

C. David Cush

Pros:
  • "The flight benefits are great and we stay in some pretty great layover hotels"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great brand to be a part of in terms of recognition as a disruptive force in an otherwise mundane industry"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Still need some work on consistency of applying work rules"
    in 5 reviews
  • "no internal guidelines or Policies and Procedures that leads to inconsistency in implementing company's policies throughout the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Perks, but bad management.

Marketing (Former Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsDepending on your lifestyle, the travel benefits and the hotel discounts are amazing. If you're single, love to travel by yourself and bounce around from city to city on the weekends ... working at Virgin America can be a dream job.

ConsZero work life balance. They don't believe in promoting internals employees. I've seen amazing people get overlooked for higher positions, and someone new brought in. Good luck on ever getting a significant raise, and they expect you to work 24/7 for very little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote your important players. Give people raises. Make people feel like you appreciate their hard work, because even the slackers at Virgin America are working hard.

Memorable thanks to the people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsThe people I worked with are some of the most talented and smartest I've ever worked with. Great brand to be a part of in terms of recognition as a disruptive force in an otherwise mundane industry.

ConsLack of growth opportunity, low pay, sometimes long hours, lack of resources, short-staffed, organizational hierarchy can get to be a little tough to handle, flight benefits lose their magic after a while

Great product, inexperienced management

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsPlanes are beautiful, crews are friendly

ConsManagement is immature and most don't even know what they're doing. Felt like a bunch people with a.d.d. got together and said "let's make an airline".

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place I've ever worked

Manager (Current Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsVirgin America is fun, vibrant, and energetic. The leaders of the company allow you to be creative in solving problems. The people who work at the company are great. The group is passionate about the company mission and each person is vital in achieving those goals.

ConsThe company is rapidly growing. Wish some of the benefits could be a little more robust and creative (more vacation days to take advantage of the flight benefits, on-site child care, etc.).

Good from far, but far from good

Pilot (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThey are great to their passengers

Consthey do not value the employees. The CEO consistently does not tell the truth. They underpay every workgroup

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making making multimilion dollar mistakes

Learned a lot, growth opportunities are limited.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsGreat teammates, mostly smart people, great brand, lots of company activities, positive space flight benefits.

ConsGrowth opportunities are limited, work never ends, team is extremely lean.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to keep good people, it isn't always about the money.

I love the company & my job, but I strongly dislike "Reserve".

In Flight Team Member (Flight Attendant) (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou do not work a normal mon-fri 9-5 w/only 1 week off for (maybe) a paid vacation. As inflight, you can have a "vacation" practically every month without ever really taking an official vacation. You get travel perks for yourself, your companion, parents, & friends. Other industry discounts are included as well. We have paid sick days, health care, 401K plans & other benefits. The company is growing & doing very well.

ConsAlthough everything looks good on paper, it is a very competitive and challenging industry to work for. Since we are non-union, you really have to fight for your rights & the rules can change any time. The schedule is highly demanding and half of your time is volunteered. The hourly pay is decent, but you have to pretty much cut your wage in half for all the time you put into the job (it does not compensate what it should). The scheduling department is an absolute mess & unfortunately it does interfere with your overall quality of life. Being on "reserve" is the most difficult thing about the job & most will say that the company has the worst reserve program industry-wide.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at LAX is a fabulous, supportive team. Some of mgmt at SFO & HQ tend to be recognized as a little more "strict" or by the book, & at times this can come of as a sense of detachment or lack of empathy toward their employees at all bases.

In-flight team member

In-flight Team Member (Current Employee)

ProsCulture
    benefits
    interview was fun
    people are energetic and fun

Conspay is very low, especially for your first couple years
    reserve for 2 years. if you can't handle being on call 24/7, you may want to reconsider this career.

Not what it seems.

ProsThe caliber of people you work with, frontline peeps (pilots, flight attendants, gate agents, mechanics), are the best I have come across in the industry. Guests getting off the airplane rave at our service, our airplanes, our attitude. That is not common at other airlines, even the most successful airlines in terms of money generally tick off passengers off in great numbers on a daily basis.

ConsWhat you don't see... from the outside, is how inept management is at Virgin America. They started with a blank sheet of paper and has pretty much done everything they could do wrong in managing people, and done it in a big way.

- Favoritism is rampant... snitch on a coworker? Well you just got a promotion!
    - Airlines are built on seniority, just like any other blue collar job. At VA, there are many examples in the Pilot and ITM ranks of seniority violations. Without a union, or honest management, there is nothing you can do about it.
    - The much vaunted "open door policy" that is talked so much about before you come on board or when you are new, is bunk. They don't want to hear your opinion or new idea. You end up being told that you don't understand the complexities and thanks but no thanks.
    - Management targets employees, threatens, intimidates, etc. Some of these managers are gone, but we have some new ones that still do the same.
    - Company will actually pay you to quit. They talk about building a family, a team. But what team will pay a member a portion of their salary to no longer work there after they are no longer useful to them? ITMs have had opportunities to get "bought out" after five years in exchange for resignation.
    - Pay is woefully under industry average. Pilots are 15-30% under industry average, ITMs (Flight Attendants) are even less.
    - Crew policy manuals are a "guideline" that is changed frequently to suit the company's needs.
    - Managers are able to apply any kind of punishment they feel necessary. Companies of this type generally have a roadmap, or a chain of events set forth so that all parties can see what can happen given a situation. Not at VA, managers can do whatever they want. If you are a favorite, then great, if not...
    - Company says money is tight and that they can't afford to pay standard rates for the industry, yet they spend money like drunken sailors (no offense to any sailors out there). Parties for the favorites are common. Company holds a yearly reprogramming seminar over two days called "Refresh". Takes two months, all employees MUST attend. Hotels, food, drinks, vouchers... all provided by the company. What do we do during this session? Let's see, ball room dancing, putting on car tires, assembling food (not cooking) in the theme of Iron Chef or something similar, act in skits, bang on drums. Yeah, that's worth two days away from my family and DEFINITELY teaches me how to fly or fix an airplane better.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe've tried telling managers that have been here for a while what is wrong with this place. To new managers brought in from other companies though, talk to the people in your department. Not your middle managers, they are just protecting their jobs. Things are not what they seem. Employees (note I did NOT say "teammate" as that implys we are in it together, we are actually treated like subjects) want the company to be successful, we have bought into the mission of doing this job right and changing the industry. But we are not being supported, not being treated fairly, and have been held back by faulty managers. Listen to the rank and file, and this place will really fly! Don't, and the turnover is going to be insane. Of course, maybe that's what you want?

Best Airline, Best Company

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsGreat staff and culture- amazing travel benefits! A lot of fun to be at during such tremendous growth- including staff, airplanes, cities etc.

ConsSalaries and "perks" are not as generous as many Bay Area start ups. There is not on site catering or shuttles to the offices from San Francisco.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Worked for Virgin America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Virgin America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Virgin America CEO C. David Cush. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by Virgin America employees.