Virgin America

Updated September 10, 2014
3.8

Virgin America CEO C. David Cush
C. David Cush

Pros
  • The flight benefits are great and we stay in some pretty great layover hotels (in 11 reviews)

• Great brand to be a part of in terms of recognition as a disruptive force in an otherwise mundane industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Still need some work on consistency of applying work rules (in 5 reviews)

• They don't consider work-life balance and will stretch the law of "legality" when it comes to length of work day, etc (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place if you want it to be!

Current Employee - In-flight Team Member  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - In-flight Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small enough to meet all 3000 employees at some point in time.

Great culture.

Forward thinking.

Listens to employees suggestions (it may take awhile for implementation).

Free travel on airline, and discounts on many others (domestic and international).

Refresh- Paid 2-day work retreat.

Many promotional and marketing events you get invited to attend.

Throws great party events.

401k matching

Great medical benefits

Cons

Being a newer airline means not all the kinks have been figured out. With that said, you could become a part of making it a better workplace.

Pay is slightly lower than average, yet if you only work 10 days a month don't expect 100k...

A lot of bitter Betty's who think everyone is conspiring against them. They have this paranoia fixation that the HQ is worried about everything in their life bubble. Also, most haven't had a real job like the rest of the world (From new graduates who have not established a real world work ethic to the crew members who just airline hop and complain how it's not like their last airline).

Of those 45% bitter Betty's, 40% are the laziest people you would encounter OTJ. They are completely miserable with their personal lives and bring it everyday to work so that they can share their load of crap that they brought upon themselves.

Reserve sucks and seniority rules. Welcome to the aviation industry. With that said if you can't be on call for 22-23 days a month on a smaller salary like everyone before you did, then this is the wrong place. It may be a while before you hold a schedule, but at least it won't be 20 years later like southwest, American or united. Don't waste your time applying. Ultimately you want this job because of the travel benefits.

Don't be afraid to say yes or no. Either way someone is going to be elated or dissappointed.

So proud to say I work for Virgin & being part of growing our record-breaking award-winning airline.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wonderful group of flight attendants and pilots. Great blend of backgrounds, personalities and demographics. Young airline, yet has won top awards for service and best domestic airline every year from the start to 7 year anniversary last week. Upscale airline, yet friendly, energetic, saucy crew. Union voted in just today and once contract is approved, positive changes for the flight attendant group should follow. The flight attendants are extremely proud of the recognition received for exceptional service from passengers, but are very frustrated with the lack of credit and compensation received from upper management based on those results considering the time and work put in to making and keeping this start up airline the award-winning airline it is. Beautiful planes, cabins, uniforms, headquarters, airport crew rooms, terminal (SFO), destinations, layover hotels and flight attendants (inside and out). Very green, progressive, high-tech, fun-loving, high-style airline .

Cons

San Francisco is the most expensive city and SFO has the third worst delay stats (ground delays mainly due to the rain/fog/low cloud cover). Hardest working flight attendants in the industry due to at-seat ordering, nonstop personal service and attention to detail.

I once read a quote Richard Branson made about the secret to success for any business is to make your employees so happy they don't want to leave. Give credit where credit is due and compensate appropriately for exceptional work, great and especially perfect attendance and reward for years of service. I believe it would benefit the company and the flight attendants to revamp the current penalty-based reliability program to a reward or incentive-based one. Our job is performed in-flight yet we don't receive any credit for what we do well while we are working - providing excellent and consistent service each and every flight which wins the company the best service awards. We are accounted almost solely for the exceptions to excellence (if we get sick, are late, have more than one day a year out of the hundreds of days we do successfully commute where one wreck or a few drops of rain can delay us a few minutes, take an entire day to get on another flight, or prohibit us from being able to get to work at all. It seems consideration would be taken into account for working out of San Francisco as SFO isn't like working out of any other airport. Housing is the most expensive of all cities nationwide, our wages aren't adjusted for the extreme cost of living, and the ground delays makie it the third worst airport to get in and out of. Also, once I had points, it was nearly impossible for me to get rid of any until the anniversary of the start of the program if you had any health issues. The company could opt to refuse to take those critical issues into account or they could make allowances for them. Respect for and a realistic consideration for the hardships of working for an airline based in SFO would create a much more positive environment versus one built on fear and high stress which in turn affects our health and can cause mistakes or accidents. Happy, appreciated employees bring happy, appreciated guests. Another suggestion I have, although short, I feel equally as strong about would be to please assure checks and balances are really being met by employees on all levels. On a final note, I want to reiterate, aside from commuting and a few growing pains bound to happen with a new company, I truly enjoyed and took pride in working for the greatest airline in America and working with so many amazing people. I sincerely wish Virgin America the best of luck in the future.

Great culture, great team!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time

Pros

Team is inspiring, caring, and energetic.

Cons

Vacation time for G & A is horrible. 7 years of time and still 3 weeks vacation and 5 holidays.

Stay on one strategic path. Create firm rules and follow them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what I thought it would be...

Former Employee - GST  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - GST in San Jose, CA

I worked at Virgin America part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great! It was my first time in the airlines industry the schedules are really flexible, great training, huge on TEAM! Great benefit incentives

Cons

Upper Management are NOT experienced, being at the airports and being the part of the front lines was pretty rough, many times In-flight was pretty rude to GSTs and consistently complaining, Beware in the industry that lots of people are two-faced, and situations which occurred at stations was not really solved properly due to favoritism. Constantly promoting inside growth but always hiring from outside company.

Upper management needs more training! Give more opportunity to people inside the company and promote more instead of hiring outside. Understand and react on behaviors in stations cause it can become bigger if left alone.

Inspiring company with little room for individuals to grow.

Former Employee - Marketing - Anonymous  in  Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing - Anonymous in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Virgin America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The highs are very high--some exceptionally talented and ambitious teammates, exciting events and promotions, and an inspiring product that's providing a meaningful alternative in a broken industry.

Cons

Because jobs are so coveted, there isn't much of an incentive for leadership to promote, reward, or in some cases, adequately appreciate the hard-working talent they employ.

A "cool" job can only be its own reward for so long. Allow your strongest employees room to grow and promote them before they find another employer more willing to reward their talents and hard work.

Upstart mentality, growing in to a full fledged airline

Current Employee - In-flight Team Member  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - In-flight Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Through the 6 years I have worked here, I have moved up the ladder on a few occasions. Opportunities do come up and there is plenty of potential to build a career here.
    Fun environment
    Pilots and FA's work together

Cons

little flexibility with swapping and dropping trips.
    pay could be better, although it is constantly improving
    work rules could be more consistent.

Create an internal third party by voting to create a check and balance system to bridge management and crews.

Great company culture but diluted at station level, open communication from HQ, flexibility for guest services teammates

Current Employee - Guest Services Teammate  in  Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Guest Services Teammate in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Virgin America part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a great culture at HQ, it's sad that at the station level it's not as great. It seems to get more diluted the further away you are from HQ. Leadership is great at HQ however it seems to vary greatly station to station depending on the manager.

It's a great place to work as far as scheduling as it's extremely flexible for guest services teammates and it definitely is the best airline to work for as far as culture, especially as a first airline. It is a totally different airline. Best product, best planes, great teammates.

Best of all, if you can work part time, like me, you can take advantage of the the travel benefits and work as little as 2 days a week (or 8 days a month) and you're done. Also, you get the option to switch from part time to full time almost every time the work schedule changes (about every 3-4 months).

It's growing rapidly and it has a lot of potential as far as continuing to be the best airline (to work for and to travel on).

Cons

It is difficult to get ahead if local leadership doesn't want to promote you. In general there are opportunities, however you have to be willing to move. If there is an opportunity at a local level your chances depend greatly local leadership and how they feel about you. Since it varies station to station (which is normal) you could have a very supportive team or a very negative team (or leader/manager). You can put in a lot of work above and beyond what is expected of you as a guest services teammate, try to help out your station, only to get back a lot of negativity. Morale is reviewed by HQ leadership once a year, yet is completely ignored by local leadership.

Teammates that complain to HQ about every little thing, mundane or not, get special treatment/consideration from local leadership (seemingly out of fear).

Pay more attention to each station. Teammates are not treated equal at the station level. You work hard and try to help or do more, you get ignored. Teammates that don't want to work much and complain (and are willing to complain to HQ about any frivolous things) about local leadership are catered to and get pretty much whatever they want. It's really sad as it affects the morale and productivity of other teammates.

Pretty good...

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people that work here are young and happy(no bitching bitter Betty's that have been here since WW2)and love their job which makes the work environment fantastic. By far the hottest uniforms in the industry and we also get free matching luggage. We're the only airline that has California bases (LAX and SFO). You are able to have two weeks off a month, if you like. Once you are off reserve and can hold a line, your life is awesome.

Cons

The pay is way below industry standard (we top out at less than $40 an hour while most carriers get well over $50), there is no union for protection, the work rules are a grey area and can change depending on the mood of crew scheduling, the ZED fare agreements are nowhere near as good as other airlines. There isn't a lot of room for upward growth/mobility.

We are the best in the industry and we win every award, please stop treating us as if we're expendable.

Awesome!

I worked at Virgin America

Pros

Awesome culture and encouraging teammates.

Cons

Not a lot of room for career growth.

Love / Hate

Current Employee - In-flight Team Member  in  Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - In-flight Team Member in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always changing and innovative. Full of energy and a fun environment to work. The people who work on the ground in the airports and in the air are the salt of the Earth. Best people I know. The flight benefits are great and we stay in some pretty great layover hotels. The company is doing really well and it is exciting to see just how far it has come in a few short years. It is non-Union which I happen to like.

Cons

Management. There is a disconnect between the people who carry out daily operations and those in HQ. They don't consider work-life balance and will stretch the law of "legality" when it comes to length of work day, etc. It's also really disappointing that they don't promote from within. Often times "favorites" are selected for special assignment and such. The CEO has cringe-worthy social skills and often disregards the needs of the in-flight team- until they threaten Unionizing, that is.

Please stop playing favorites and LISTEN to those who are carrying out your daily operations. We are the face of the company, take care of us.

Worked for Virgin America? Contribute to the Community!