Virgin America

Updated February 4, 2015
3.4

Virgin America CEO C. David Cush
C. David Cush

Pros
  • The flight benefits are great and we stay in some pretty great layover hotels (in 12 reviews)

• Great brand to be a part of in terms of recognition as a disruptive force in an otherwise mundane industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance at least at my station (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of people that are niave and new to the airline industry (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Guest Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Guest Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Virgin America

Pros

Wonderful Co workers very flexible the pay is decent but I have been there forever

Cons

Management not in sync with each other becoming more of a legacy carrier everyday

The corporate culture has been a unique & diverse experience,yet can differ drastically from airport station to station.

Current Employee - Guest Service Teammamte in Jamaica, NY
    Current Employee - Guest Service Teammamte in Jamaica, NY

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Customer service is promoted via a teamwork environment.
    * Music playing is permitted and can greatly help elevate your mood.
    * Travel incentives are cool and extracurricular actives are fun.
    * Brand brings a sense of pride.

Cons

* West Coast based airline, target attention towards west coast stations. Other stations get neglected.
    * Every airport stations is managed differently and somewhat independently, leaving room for much management error.
    * Pay scale varies based on locality, however quality and quantity of work is the same . Company blames airport ordinances & state regulations, yet insist they care about employees. Some employees are living in poverty levels.

* Improve East Coast regional & local management by challenging them to be at the same level as west coast counterparts.
    * Hold local station management accountable for valid teammate grievances. A correction plan should be stimulated.
    * Rotate local leadership responsibility so that favoritism is not solely towards the "chosen" few.
    * Show more respect & appreciation to frontline teammates by allowing them to rate their local leadership.
    * Improve professional in the workplace.

It's exciting and you never know what's around the corner.

Current Employee - Crew Scheduler in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Scheduler in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Quality benefits and being able to travel quite a bit.

Cons

Long days and high stress as well sometimes.

Be more involved with your staff and take feedback to grow the department if possible.

Disorganized. Dysfunctional. Disconnected. Delusional.

Former Employee - Guest Service Teammate
    Former Employee - Guest Service Teammate

I worked at Virgin America part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not what you think.

It is a unique type of work you have never worked in the airline industry and Virgin does have a well known and reputable brand. Each and everyday is different and faced with different challenges. Never a dull moment.

I will give Virgin credit that after much internal criticism they did put together a “Work Rules Advisory Committee.” However, the committee has little confidence among GSTs as it is only advisory and many of the changes were already in the pipeline long before the committee was formed and do not address the core problems with the workplace culture. I will give them credit for trying on the committee but it is basically to tame the inevitable GST unionization.

Cons

During my time with Virgin America, I tried so hard to like the company and rally around the brand but its breakdown in upper management, the naiveté HQ, culture of favoritism, and its cult of personality made it impossible.

Virgin has a great reputation externally but internally it is a category five disaster. Besides the below industry pay, lack of career growth, and breathtaking favoritism, Virgin America’s biggest problem is the disconnect between HQ and the stations. Each city runs as its own company with each having its own standards and policies. Those who work in California live in a bubble and it is worse the further you go.

For as small as Virgin is it can’t seem to get consistency. The GST Polices and Procedures have really done a big disfavor to the company as they write rules in a very complex and confusing way. Even if the rules are clear they are loosely enforced. HQ is bleeding with inexperienced individuals who truly don’t understand or want to understand the nature of the operation or the roles of others. Virgin even has a policy that GSTs must get the permission of a manger or supervisor before the call of the police for any reason. This was even after the LAX shooting in our own terminal. My 5-year-old nephew knows to call 911 immediately in an emergency and not ask Mommy or Daddy for permission.

At first I thought Virgin was so edgy and innovative but that only lasted so long. It seems as if Virgin is stuck in 2007 and lacks vision to move into the future. In addition, every time you are in a group or in training all you hear is how Virgin is the best and how all our competitors suck. They force the Kool-aid and it turned into somewhat of a bully culture how they praised themselves by constantly bringing others down. Virgin will say how unique and special they are but when convenient they will revert “ this is industry standard” when it comes to cutting health benefits or not raising pay.

My best advice is to keep a low profile and avoid stepping in the drama and corruption. After a certain point you may start acting like the child they treat you but still try to lay low. If you find yourself getting a seat at the table and being liked by your local managers, great! You have managed to do what many cannot. You will not be subject to the work rules and will have many exceptions made on your behalf. However, if that is not the case, I would use them like they use you and when a better job comes along….leave. This is not a career. Please, please don’t fall into the pit many do by holding out for advancement only to find yourself doing the same thing five years later and only having a pin to show for it.

HQ, the VPs, and the regional mangers are completely oblivious to what is going on at the stations. They have a “hands off” approach when managing and are mostly removed from the day-to-day operations. On the rare occasion they visit the stations (which is more like passing) they get a tour of the office (Village), then grab a lunch with a select few that were hand picked by local mangers. They also need to clean house with Guest Services from the top on down as well as the policy department. If Virgin did not hire on whom they like but rather who is qualified, the company would run more like a business and less like a frat house. After a while I willing left the company because some things are just not worth it. I am not optimistic that Virgin has the self-perception, discipline, or the confidence to make the necessary changes.

An Incredible Company to Work For

Current Employee - Guest Services Teammate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Guest Services Teammate in New York, NY

I have been working at Virgin America part-time (less than a year)

Pros

From training to actually working there, the experience has been amazing all along the way. The company culture follows the Richard Branson mindset: "Screw it, Let's do it." They are really the leader in the industry and are constantly innovating. The company cares about its teammates, guests, and the experience more than money. There are also plenty of opportunities for movement and improvement in the company.

Cons

Low pay but the companies provides plenty of benefits throughout the experience, from the little things like food vouchers to paid travel, training, and stipends. The company is still growing, however. It should get even better.

IPO has already had a few negative effects on some teammates such as the in-flight.

From Ticketing to Quality check. Company has a good way to work around other areas of operation

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Auditor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity is always there. Growth a

Cons

Pay Scale is kind of low

Fun, growing company

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

An exciting brand to work for.

Cons

Still small compared to other major airlines, so growth opportunities are limited.

Flexible

I have been working at Virgin America

Pros

Flight Benefits
    40 1k Match
    Flexible
    PERSONAL GROWTH

Cons

Low Pay
    inconsistent POLICY
    Work life BALANCE

Fun job, great company

Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Team Member in Dulles, VA

I worked at Virgin America part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company, their vision is exciting. Flight benefits are great especially if you work as GST

Cons

The pay is mall grade, tight micromanagement

Work Hard, Play Hard

I have been working at Virgin America full-time

Pros

I love to work hard and see the results. It's fun to be the best and to know you are a part of success.

Great people!

Cons

Not enough free time in salary positions to see the world!

Virgin America Photos

In flight: Virgin America flight attendant (male) dressed in all black
In flight: Virgin America flight attendant (female)

+ Add Photo