Virgin America

Updated October 29, 2014
3.5

Virgin America CEO C. David Cush
C. David Cush

Pros
  • The flight benefits are great and we stay in some pretty great layover hotels (in 11 reviews)

• Great brand to be a part of in terms of recognition as a disruptive force in an otherwise mundane industry (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance at least at my station (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of people that are niave and new to the airline industry (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic Company To Work For!

Former Employee - In Flight Team Leader in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - In Flight Team Leader in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Virgin America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Travel, Meeting Interesting People, Making Lasting Friendships.

Cons

I loved everything about my job and had no complaints.

Keep growing and keeping up the great atmosphere!

Best job and best company I ever worked for in my life

Former Employee - In-flight Team Member
    Former Employee - In-flight Team Member

I worked at Virgin America full-time

Pros

This company is family! Miss everything and everyone

Cons

It's hard to take care of a family while being on reserve but if I could do it all again I would've made it work

A wonderful place to get well-rounded experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team culture at Virgin America is special. Most people are aligned with the idea of creating an airline people love (to fly, work for, root for, etc). New ideas and innovation are prized. It's a wonderful place to take risks and learn a lot about many different topics. Leadership tends to be collaborative, open-minded, and inspiring. Work/life balance is exceptional. Generally 9-5:30. Travel benefits are fantastic - free standby for you, spouse, children, and your parents!

Cons

Career growth is limited, as it is a very flat organization (which is good in many ways). Promotions are tough to come by. Salaries are also on the lower side, as the airline industry is very competitive. It's tough to keep up with the cost of living.

Work on career growth and new ways to challenge star performers.

Amazing corporate culture is often just a facade.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Virgin America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* The company attracts talent who is very passionate about the industry and providing good customer service
    * Everyone believes in the future of the company (very few openly dissenting voices) and proud of the company's accomplishments

Cons

* There is a culture where some groups of employees are looked down upon -- folks who work in the airports are treated with less respect than the in flight team (flight attendants)
    * Airport station mentality persists into the corporate headquarters offering no flexibility when it comes to scheduling work time for employees
    * Compensation for employees at HQ is not competitive when compared with other companies (non-airline) in the immediate area
    * Lack of provided PTO -- Only 10 days per year
    * Employees who work at the corporate headquarters usually cannot take full advantage of the non-rev (free) flights due to limited availability during non-work hours
    * Some managers are more concerned with maintaining appearances over delivering results--style over substance

With a good corporate vision and an employee base willing to do almost anything to help the company succeed, take the time to fully evaluate the effectiveness of middle management. Much of the company's potential is being squelched and a lot of the talent won't put up with bad managers.

Great product, brand and culture but still going through growing pains

Current Employee - Analyst in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Employees very proud of the product and the brand
    - Lots of opportunities to take on responsibilities outside of your job title
    - Perks - free flights and great 401K package

Cons

- Little investment in personal growth and career development / poor incentives and promotion policy / lack of meritocracy. This pushes talent out of the door

unless your 20 something you will have a very short lived time with them, if they even hire you...

Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Virgin America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They started with a great concept, but its becoming Virgin AmericaN

Cons

if your older you dont have a shot getting hired unless you know somwone and then you will still have trouble

its not just about being young, young at heart is the ok too as long as you represent the brand in a positive light

Great place if you want it to be!

Current Employee - In-flight Team Member in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - In-flight Team Member in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small enough to meet all 3000 employees at some point in time.

Great culture.

Forward thinking.

Listens to employees suggestions (it may take awhile for implementation).

Free travel on airline, and discounts on many others (domestic and international).

Refresh- Paid 2-day work retreat.

Many promotional and marketing events you get invited to attend.

Throws great party events.

401k matching

Great medical benefits

Cons

Being a newer airline means not all the kinks have been figured out. With that said, you could become a part of making it a better workplace.

Pay is slightly lower than average, yet if you only work 10 days a month don't expect 100k...

A lot of bitter Betty's who think everyone is conspiring against them. They have this paranoia fixation that the HQ is worried about everything in their life bubble. Also, most haven't had a real job like the rest of the world (From new graduates who have not established a real world work ethic to the crew members who just airline hop and complain how it's not like their last airline).

Of those 45% bitter Betty's, 40% are the laziest people you would encounter OTJ. They are completely miserable with their personal lives and bring it everyday to work so that they can share their load of crap that they brought upon themselves.

Reserve sucks and seniority rules. Welcome to the aviation industry. With that said if you can't be on call for 22-23 days a month on a smaller salary like everyone before you did, then this is the wrong place. It may be a while before you hold a schedule, but at least it won't be 20 years later like southwest, American or united. Don't waste your time applying. Ultimately you want this job because of the travel benefits.

Don't be afraid to say yes or no. Either way someone is going to be elated or dissappointed.

Sucks

I have been working at Virgin America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The vibe is very young

Cons

Everything revolves around work. No work/life balance at least at my station.

None - they won't listen. They don't currently listen and give backlash when there is a suggestion

It was a mistake to leave my last job!

Current Employee - Pilot in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Pilot in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Everyone you fly with are a really good group!

Cons

Short and sweet, it's not what they advertise! Mgmt, goes out of their way to give off this fun, different, we care about people, if you take care of your people they will take care of your customers vibe. In reality, it's the same old, we need to cost less in your salary, make you work more for less, and give you less benefits only with a slightly hipper rap!

Building a company on the backs of your employees, all the while giving yourselves and your friends huge salaries and benefits never leads to a successful company in the long term.

So proud to say I work for Virgin & being part of growing our record-breaking award-winning airline.

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Virgin America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful group of flight attendants and pilots. Great blend of backgrounds, personalities and demographics. Young airline, yet has won top awards for service and best domestic airline every year from the start to 7 year anniversary last week. Upscale airline, yet friendly, energetic, saucy crew. Union voted in just today and once contract is approved, positive changes for the flight attendant group should follow. The flight attendants are extremely proud of the recognition received for exceptional service from passengers, but are very frustrated with the lack of credit and compensation received from upper management based on those results considering the time and work put in to making and keeping this start up airline the award-winning airline it is. Beautiful planes, cabins, uniforms, headquarters, airport crew rooms, terminal (SFO), destinations, layover hotels and flight attendants (inside and out). Very green, progressive, high-tech, fun-loving, high-style airline .

Cons

San Francisco is the most expensive city and SFO has the third worst delay stats (ground delays mainly due to the rain/fog/low cloud cover). Hardest working flight attendants in the industry due to at-seat ordering, nonstop personal service and attention to detail.

I once read a quote Richard Branson made about the secret to success for any business is to make your employees so happy they don't want to leave. Give credit where credit is due and compensate appropriately for exceptional work, great and especially perfect attendance and reward for years of service. I believe it would benefit the company and the flight attendants to revamp the current penalty-based reliability program to a reward or incentive-based one. Our job is performed in-flight yet we don't receive any credit for what we do well while we are working - providing excellent and consistent service each and every flight which wins the company the best service awards. We are accounted almost solely for the exceptions to excellence (if we get sick, are late, have more than one day a year out of the hundreds of days we do successfully commute where one wreck or a few drops of rain can delay us a few minutes, take an entire day to get on another flight, or prohibit us from being able to get to work at all. It seems consideration would be taken into account for working out of San Francisco as SFO isn't like working out of any other airport. Housing is the most expensive of all cities nationwide, our wages aren't adjusted for the extreme cost of living, and the ground delays makie it the third worst airport to get in and out of. Also, once I had points, it was nearly impossible for me to get rid of any until the anniversary of the start of the program if you had any health issues. The company could opt to refuse to take those critical issues into account or they could make allowances for them. Respect for and a realistic consideration for the hardships of working for an airline based in SFO would create a much more positive environment versus one built on fear and high stress which in turn affects our health and can cause mistakes or accidents. Happy, appreciated employees bring happy, appreciated guests. Another suggestion I have, although short, I feel equally as strong about would be to please assure checks and balances are really being met by employees on all levels. On a final note, I want to reiterate, aside from commuting and a few growing pains bound to happen with a new company, I truly enjoyed and took pride in working for the greatest airline in America and working with so many amazing people. I sincerely wish Virgin America the best of luck in the future.

Virgin America Photos

In flight: Virgin America flight attendant (male) dressed in all black
In flight: Virgin America flight attendant (female)

+ Add Photo