Virgin America

Virgin America Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Virgin America CEO C. David Cush

C. David Cush

Pros:
  • "The flight benefits are great and we stay in some pretty great layover hotels"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great brand to be a part of in terms of recognition as a disruptive force in an otherwise mundane industry"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Still need some work on consistency of applying work rules"
    in 5 reviews
  • "no internal guidelines or Policies and Procedures that leads to inconsistency in implementing company's policies throughout the company"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great culture, great team!

Burlingame, CA

ProsTeam is inspiring, caring, and energetic.

ConsVacation time for G & A is horrible. 7 years of time and still 3 weeks vacation and 5 holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on one strategic path. Create firm rules and follow them!

Inspiring company with little room for individuals to grow.

Marketing - Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsThe highs are very high--some exceptionally talented and ambitious teammates, exciting events and promotions, and an inspiring product that's providing a meaningful alternative in a broken industry.

ConsBecause jobs are so coveted, there isn't much of an incentive for leadership to promote, reward, or in some cases, adequately appreciate the hard-working talent they employ.

Advice to Senior ManagementA "cool" job can only be its own reward for so long. Allow your strongest employees room to grow and promote them before they find another employer more willing to reward their talents and hard work.

Not what I thought it would be...

GST (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsThe people are great! It was my first time in the airlines industry the schedules are really flexible, great training, huge on TEAM! Great benefit incentives

ConsUpper Management are NOT experienced, being at the airports and being the part of the front lines was pretty rough, many times In-flight was pretty rude to GSTs and consistently complaining, Beware in the industry that lots of people are two-faced, and situations which occurred at stations was not really solved properly due to favoritism. Constantly promoting inside growth but always hiring from outside company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs more training! Give more opportunity to people inside the company and promote more instead of hiring outside. Understand and react on behaviors in stations cause it can become bigger if left alone.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upstart mentality, growing in to a full fledged airline

In-flight Team Member (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThrough the 6 years I have worked here, I have moved up the ladder on a few occasions. Opportunities do come up and there is plenty of potential to build a career here.
    Fun environment
    Pilots and FA's work together

Conslittle flexibility with swapping and dropping trips.
    pay could be better, although it is constantly improving
    work rules could be more consistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an internal third party by voting to create a check and balance system to bridge management and crews.

Great company culture but diluted at station level, open communication from HQ, flexibility for guest services teammates

Guest Services Teammate (Current Employee)
    Sterling, VA

ProsThere's a great culture at HQ, it's sad that at the station level it's not as great. It seems to get more diluted the further away you are from HQ. Leadership is great at HQ however it seems to vary greatly station to station depending on the manager.

It's a great place to work as far as scheduling as it's extremely flexible for guest services teammates and it definitely is the best airline to work for as far as culture, especially as a first airline. It is a totally different airline. Best product, best planes, great teammates.

Best of all, if you can work part time, like me, you can take advantage of the the travel benefits and work as little as 2 days a week (or 8 days a month) and you're done. Also, you get the option to switch from part time to full time almost every time the work schedule changes (about every 3-4 months).

It's growing rapidly and it has a lot of potential as far as continuing to be the best airline (to work for and to travel on).

ConsIt is difficult to get ahead if local leadership doesn't want to promote you. In general there are opportunities, however you have to be willing to move. If there is an opportunity at a local level your chances depend greatly local leadership and how they feel about you. Since it varies station to station (which is normal) you could have a very supportive team or a very negative team (or leader/manager). You can put in a lot of work above and beyond what is expected of you as a guest services teammate, try to help out your station, only to get back a lot of negativity. Morale is reviewed by HQ leadership once a year, yet is completely ignored by local leadership.

Teammates that complain to HQ about every little thing, mundane or not, get special treatment/consideration from local leadership (seemingly out of fear).

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to each station. Teammates are not treated equal at the station level. You work hard and try to help or do more, you get ignored. Teammates that don't want to work much and complain (and are willing to complain to HQ about any frivolous things) about local leadership are catered to and get pretty much whatever they want. It's really sad as it affects the morale and productivity of other teammates.

NOT as awesome as everyone thinks.............

In-Flight Teammate (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsBeing a flight attendant was great!
    Learning about the aviation industry
    Traveling for fun at the last minute was awesome!

ConsWhat a scam because of favoritism and management sticking together from jetBlue
    Encouraging tattle tale work environment to be able to hire and fire so quick
    Being a FA is hard enough but to be treated my management crappy too is worse!
    Management is a joke! Most have been fired from other airlines.
    The CEO, David Cush is trying to make it another American Airlines- #1 first city to serve Texas was Dallas #2 Terminal 2 serves both AA and VA #3 senior management are coming from AA

Advice to Senior ManagementYes customers matter but not before your employees do
    Better watch out, a union is coming! Third time's a charm!

Awesome!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome culture and encouraging teammates.

ConsNot a lot of room for career growth.

Love / Hate

In-flight Team Member (Current Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsAlways changing and innovative. Full of energy and a fun environment to work. The people who work on the ground in the airports and in the air are the salt of the Earth. Best people I know. The flight benefits are great and we stay in some pretty great layover hotels. The company is doing really well and it is exciting to see just how far it has come in a few short years. It is non-Union which I happen to like.

ConsManagement. There is a disconnect between the people who carry out daily operations and those in HQ. They don't consider work-life balance and will stretch the law of "legality" when it comes to length of work day, etc. It's also really disappointing that they don't promote from within. Often times "favorites" are selected for special assignment and such. The CEO has cringe-worthy social skills and often disregards the needs of the in-flight team- until they threaten Unionizing, that is.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop playing favorites and LISTEN to those who are carrying out your daily operations. We are the face of the company, take care of us.

Great Perks, inconsistent quality of management.

Crew Scheduler (Current Employee)
    Burlingame, CA

ProsExciting place to work, and the company cares a lot about its customers! A lot of start-up, trial and error vibes internally.

ConsMost departments are underpaid compared to the industry. A good number of under-qualified people work at its Headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-visit Richard Branson's quote; "Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to."

Pretty good...

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people that work here are young and happy(no bitching bitter Betty's that have been here since WW2)and love their job which makes the work environment fantastic. By far the hottest uniforms in the industry and we also get free matching luggage. We're the only airline that has California bases (LAX and SFO). You are able to have two weeks off a month, if you like. Once you are off reserve and can hold a line, your life is awesome.

ConsThe pay is way below industry standard (we top out at less than $40 an hour while most carriers get well over $50), there is no union for protection, the work rules are a grey area and can change depending on the mood of crew scheduling, the ZED fare agreements are nowhere near as good as other airlines. There isn't a lot of room for upward growth/mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are the best in the industry and we win every award, please stop treating us as if we're expendable.

Worked for Virgin America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Virgin America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Virgin America CEO C. David Cush. All 83 reviews posted anonymously by Virgin America employees.