Virgin Galactic

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Engineering dream job

Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Aerospace Engineer in Mojave, CA

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with some of the brightest engineers in the field and use some pretty remarkable technology in our effort to get people to space. The environment is completely casual and light-hearted. Benefits are great, especially vacation - fresh college engineering graduates start with 3 weeks that they're encouraged to use. Mojave runs on a 9/80 schedule. Profit sharing happens if company goals are met. Richard Branson swings by a few times per year.

Cons

It is very difficult for someone to get fired here. Someone who has repeatably shown they cannot do their tasks, cannot budget time, are not motivated, and/or safety issues can rest assured that it takes a massive undertaking to get canned. Consequently, we're frequently stuck dealing with people who don't want to or can't help us.

Make a decision and stick with it. The longer you try to keep people going on every road at once, the longer it's going to take to reach your goals. We'll start on a project only to have the requirements be ambiguous or completely undefined, and then have the few we have change a few months later.

Demanding, and Rewarding of your time and effort.

Current Employee - Technician in Mojave, CA
    Current Employee - Technician in Mojave, CA

I have been working at Virgin Galactic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New relatively innovative company, decent benefits, Extra effort rewarded.

Cons

Pressure from schedule changes, Split ideologies, time requirements (some employees may be dissatisfied with)