Virgin Media

www.virginmedia.com

Virgin Media Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Tom Mockridge

Pros
  • Good benefits including staff discount (if you're in a cable area) good holidays (in 7 reviews)

• Good work life balance and reasonable terms and conditions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very poor access to senior management, can be quite hierarchical despite values being communicated (in 5 reviews)

• They have little capital to spend to grow the business so they are constantly cost cutting (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Virgin media business

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGreat people.
    Good progression.
    Fun environment.
    No micro management.
    Freedom to work in your own style.
    If you want to wear a suit...you can wear a suit. If you want to work in jeans. You can.

ConsOutdated systems
    Change takes too long
    Manchester office is very stuffy. Buy some air conditioning!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try and kill the Virgin values which thrive in out office. I don't feel as of Peter Kelly or Mario Di Mascio really get the vibe of the brand and would like to transform the company into a more corporate affair.

VM

ProsThe people, benefits, work/life balance

ConsLots of restructuring, cost reduction.

Uncertain times since Liberty Global takeover

Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFriendly staff and good culture overall. Staff cable package is great if you're in a cable area. Hammersmith office is relatively new so if the location suits it's a great environment. Virgin is a great brand to have on your CV.

ConsVery poor access to senior management, can be quite hierarchical despite values being communicated. While culture is generally good, some areas can be quite parochial. History of focus on cost-management, meaning you may not always get the budget to get things done. Poor at recognising talent and developing it. In many areas promotions aren't used to reward excellence, you have to apply for a new role to progress, often meaning leaving the area you're experienced in / adding value to.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten structure, give people lower down the ladder access and exposure to senior levels rather than having to go through the layers - it'll develop them faster and give them confidence. Promote those who do well rather than forcing them move to new areas just to get on with their careers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work with great benefits, salaries nand staff deals but constantly changing it's structure!

Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

ProsGreat people to work with, some really good and dedicated managers
    Very good range of benefits on offer, especially staff deals on mobile and TV
    Salaries OK but effectively static unless you change roles or grades.
    Flexible working possible, up to 28 days hols.
    Company open to new ideas and support employees in their development

ConsConstant cost reduction pressure on management
    Redundancies
    Poor internal communication
    Usual office politics

Advice to Senior Management.

Amazing Working Environment

Training Delivery Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsTechnologically savvy
    You have permission to think and do things differently
    You can be true to yourself in everything you do
    Opportunities to learn and grow are always presenting themselves
    Fast paced and ever evolving
    Fun is part of the culture
    Success is celebrated
    Rewards are good

ConsIf you're not comfortable with change. then this isn't the place for you

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep true to the brand

Great to work for but not sure about influence of the Liberty Group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCulture of the business was very forward thinking - especially the mobile side of the business.
    Staff discount was excellent - worked out about 80% discount on retail.
    Remuneration was very good relative to market.
    The broadband product is excellent. That's not just hype. I no longer work there so I've gotta pay full price but still didn't hesitate to get VM BB in my newly acquired flat.

ConsThe acquisition by Liberty was not so good because Liberty made no attempt to give a clear picture as to their direction for the business and the start of the new UK Virgin CEO (mid 2013) was a proverbial damp squib. Former CEO Neil Berkett was brilliant.

Advice to Senior Managementis VM UK part of Liberty or not? Current CEO needs to give the company some direction - before employees start thinking they're working for British Gas or some other boring utility.

Great company, but going through some large and difficult changes

Account Manager (Current Employee) Hook, England (UK)

Pros- The people
    - The pay
    - Benefits package

Cons- Systems
    - Lack of communication between departments

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsuring that the people, systems and processes are ready when major changes are implemented

Oppressive

Access Technician (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros- Good Salary,
    - Good staff discounts/other benefits

Cons- Unrealistic targets/workloads
    - Constantly adding to workload while never allowing additional time
    - Managers tend to dictate rather than motivate (probably due to their own ridiculous targets given by their managers)
    - Somewhat constant feeling of job insecurity due to the structural changes and seemingly never ending focus on cost cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support and understanding required from management. A lot of focus seems to be around raw figures without any care or thought for the environment and processes that staff have to work through.

Very strong brand marketing. Very good customer end products.

Planning Engineer (Current Employee) Preston, North West England, England (UK)

ProsSome very strong marketing, good holidays and sicknss benefits

ConsVery big beast. A lot of smaller franchises that have been conglomerated. Engineering solutions do not often fit specific architectures.

Advice to Senior ManagementUndewrstand the need for asset upgrading or VM will be left trailing their customers.

A company that doesn't hesitate to take your time as it see's fit.

Field Technician (Former Employee) Middlesbrough, England (UK)

ProsFantastic team, someone always has your back. (not management)

ConsNo development.

A management structure that coerces it's staff with constant threats about job security.

Working late is very common, many people don't get to see there kids for nearly two weeks on long shift patterns as they are already in bed.

Over 20 KPI's, its just too many to manage and be aware of.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere has to be a way of creating a better customer experience without constantly putting your frontline staff on the back foot.

Worked for Virgin Media? Contribute to the Community!