Virginia Asset Management
www.vamllc.com Midlothian, VA 50 to 149 Employees

Virginia Asset Management Reviews

Not yet rated.

Michael R. White, CLU, ChFC

Great internship, fully educate yourself before committing to the career

Finance Intern (Former Employee)
    Midlothian, VA

ProsTraining is extensive and educational, you will learn a lot about investments, retirement planning, and insurance. Everyone there is great, very friendly and supportive. Even as an intern I could walk into the CEO's office and have an hour long meeting. Office doors are open 95% of the day. Succeeding in this career gives you a tremendously independent life, work-life balance of your choice, and great residual and annual income.

ConsThe career is a commission based pay - the compensation for your first couple of years is supplemented by activity driven stipends. Turn-over is high in this industry for a good reason, it is VERY DIFFICULT to succeed. Do not go into it if you are unwilling to spend a couple years being a die-hard client prospector. During a 10 week internship I saw 5 people come in and go out while I was there. Only one person came in when I did as a full time employee and was still there when I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your broker-dealer to get more attractive compensation packages for the Advisor Development Program. Morgan-Stanley, Merrill Lynch, ING Financial all have you beat as far as base pay which will make it difficult to attract good talent.

Good for established financial advisers going independent, bad for new/trainee advisors

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)
    Midlothian, VA

ProsThis is a good place to be ONLY if you have an established practice. The health insurance department really has their stuff together and is by far the best arm of this firm.

ConsTheir mentoring program is not defined so be careful in pairing with a senior adviser. Also they do a poor job in managing your expectations as a financial adviser regarding cash flow planning for your own practice. Their culture is very much about cold calling....you have been warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some systems in place for the training program and stop being so nice. You ultimately hurt your new advisers when you let them slide.

Nice to be part of a local firm when so many major companies are laying people off

Financial Advisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat resources to help new advisors get started - they have hired new managers and staff support. Lots of people available now to help advisors.

ConsDefinitely have to work hard in the beginning, but it's totatlly worth it. And even though you have to work hard, you still don't have to work as many hours as investment bankers and stock brokers - you can still have a life.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be nice to sponser more seminars and workshops for public to come to office.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place where you can possibly make a career, but be prepare to be overworked and underpaid for 3-5 years

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsThe ability to sell a wide variety of products to both individuals and groups. Ability to use a number of carriers. Good reputation.

ConsVery difficult to generate leads other than cold calling or calling on friends and family. If you don’t sell a specified amount you don’t get paid for the quarter. Turnover around 80%.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find a way to reduce turnover. Spend less time hiring/ more time training. Be up front on sales expectations.

Worked for Virginia Asset Management? Contribute to the Community!

Virginia Asset Management – Why Work for Us?

About Us Virginia Asset Management Company is a comprehensive financial services firm. Our commitment to our clients is to help expand their long-term financial success by offering a wide range of quality financial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Virginia Asset Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Virginia Asset Management CEO Michael R. White, CLU, ChFC. All reviews posted anonymously by Virginia Asset Management employees.