Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools

James G. Merrill

1. Teacher/Educator

Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very academic-minded culture, competitive teams, opportunity for professional development, Salary.

Cons

I worked 50-60 hours/week to keep up with the competitive academic culture there, emails were sent out at 4:00 AM from Supervisors and colleagues. Round-the-Clock work with the new programs or curriculum that was being implemented.

Advice to Management

Don't overload teachers and staff with too many "New" Programs or other changes each year.

2. alright for temp

Current Employee - Temp in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Temp in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools full-time

Pros

pretty easy job. The people are friendly and like to joke around. I just did what I was told as I was just a temp

Cons

Lack of communication, there are different section and sometimes they wouldn't trust each other. lots of free time (to the point where it's boring). wifi had everything blocked

Advice to Management

get some better planning down. sometimes we'd do nothing and that's money going down the drain paying all those temps that are doing nothing when they could be doing something

3. Working as a substitute teacher is challenging but at the end of the day you feel you have done something positive.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent. Every day is different, but working with the students is rewarding.

Cons

I'm a substitute teacher and the assignments come on a day-to-day basis.

5. Subtitute

Current Employee - subtitute in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - subtitute in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools

Pros

Flexible schedules and plenty of opportunity to grow professionally

Cons

Be consistent with student's discipline

Advice to Management

Support staffs closely

6. Worked as a Substitute Teacher

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools

Pros

Flexible scheduling, school personnel very helpful, good pay, learn whether you can teach professionally or not

Cons

Hard to maintain a heavy work schedule, some teachers don't leave clear plans

Advice to Management

Management is mostly hands off after the approval process, and it should stay that way

7. I love VBCPS

Current Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities are available to employees. VBCPS cares about their teachers and students. Administration values good teaching and continually has new technology available.

Cons

There is a lot of training and meetings required for teachers. Sometimes I wonder if the professional development instructors realize we have all been to college. The administration does not practice the differentiation they preach for teachers to use in the classroom. All teachers are instructed like we are first year teachers.

Advice to Management

Please differentiate professional development.

8. Still a teacher.

Current Employee - Computer Resource Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Computer Resource Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools

Pros

The pros of this job used to be the benefits but over the years those benefits have been eroding little by little. As a teacher your main reword is not the pay or benefits but the relationships that you form with students. Teaching is also a pretty secure job. The CRS position is great because it allows you the time to research the new technologies out there and envision a plan on how to get them in the hands of the teachers and students.
    You get every major holiday off, Christmas break, spring break, and about one month in the summer.

Cons

Teaching is a 24 hour type job. It is kind of expected that you will work outside of normal operational hours and in order to do your job effectively you kind of have to. Its hard to take time off during the school because of statewide testing and constant network or computer issues. There is no 401k, but there is a pension that gives you 1% of your average of your three highest years in retirement.
    With everyone out there complaining about education it is hard to get any money from the state to provide for adequate technology and network speeds to support innovation.
    MEETINGS....WITH EVERYONE FOR EVERYTHING.
    Very little potential for advancement.

Advice to Management

The values have shifted from what is best for the student to become a productive citizen to how do we teach them the theory needed for college. The support for teachers amongst the central office and parents has dwindled over the past years leaving the teachers to be the bad guy.

9. Great School

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Team, Good hours, Something new everyday!

Cons

There weren't many opportunities to advance but that was the nature of the job/role.

10. I was mostly in the high schools and middle schools

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Virginia Beach CIty Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed to the diversity in the schools where there were unlimited choices in classes in the children. Also I learned about people from different backgrounds and ethic groups.

Cons

Sometimes I would get an assignment to a school where the transportation is inconvenient for me to attend

11. Working as a substitute is challenging and exciting. For me it is an adventure each; walking into a new classroom.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Not knowing what to expect each day, and being expected to rise to the challenge of many different situations, and deal with each situation positively is an attractive facet of this work.

Cons

It does not appear to me that substitutes are appreciated nor compensated adequately relative to the work they perform, considering the many variables they deal with when they enter a classroom.

Advice to Management

A rating of substitute teachers would be a way to assess the strengths and weaknesses of substitutes, and allow a pay scale that would reflect the overall effectiveness of each substitute, based on how that individual performed.

RSS Feed </> Embed