Virginia Beach

Add Photos

William D. Sessoms, Jr.

Good place to work

legal docket clerk I (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsGreat place to learn & grow in your career. Opportunities to move into other positions once you get your foot in the door. Depending on the department you are in there's space for promotions.

ConsNo real raises & when you do get one it off sets something so it's not really an actual raise. You have to wait for the "old timers" to decide they want to retire before you can move up & depending on budget issues they might not bother to fill the spot & just spread the work out to those left.

Not worth it

Police (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat place to train and get experience before finding a place that values employees.

ConsPay and benefits are horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart paying attention or you will continue to lose experienced employees. Give employees a livable wage.

Physically demanding with little recognition or positive outcome from hard work

Temp Worker (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsDecent pay
    Temp workers and some permanent workers were friendly
    It was nice to converse with people while working at the Oceanfront

ConsSupervisors never noticed the work done by temp workers and constantly added restrictions to what they could do during the day
    Permanent workers spied on temp workers and would make false accusations against the temp employees
    Very hard to become a permanent worker and the currently permanent workers make sure of that

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on improving temp employee happiness and help them increase desire to work
    Do not create so many restrictions
    Come directly to temp employees instead of only really communicating with permanent workers,

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Budget Cuts are Ruining Good Work Environment

Manager (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsI like the Comradery at office. It's hard to get fired, which is good for employees but bad for management. They offer health insurance to part-time workers. Retirement is good. Location is good for family.

ConsHealth insurance costs; layoff possibilities each year; not much diversity; promotions difficult within same department; moving to another position is hard if you made the wrong people angry

Virginia Beach is a pretty good place to work

Case Worker (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsVery flexible schedule and great benefits, great people to work with, great retirement pacakge and lots of time off

ConsTypical government issues with pay scales and management. Longer term employees not movited. Virginia Beach is a very overcrowded city, the traffic is just horrible and all the case managers have really big caseloads. But, generally the people in Va. Beach are good people to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue educating yourself and not get burnt out. Do not take the job just to get more pay before you retire, but take uppermanagement position because you want to lead people.

CVB get creative and share the knowledge

Housing Specialist (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsBenefits package, low stress environment and good fellow employees.

ConsLack of value for creative or new solutions. Very much a "government mentality"

Advice to Senior ManagementPass on the knowledge before you retire! 2009 will see 10% of the CVB members eligible to retire and many of them will take the package talking a lot of knowledge with them.

City of Virginia Beach

Engineering (Former Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe benefits and flexible time off can't be beat. Also, extreme job security, tuition assistance. The drive to work is small. The atmosphere is usually laid-back. You can do very little work, if that is your goal. Low health care costs. Flexible spending accounts. Safe work environment.

ConsVery little room to advance, racism and sexism. Chosen people are fed the best answers prior to the interview, to make sure they receive the job. Chosen people also receive informal training, prior to someone retiring. Moral is very low, due to the favoritism shown, and a continual errosion of benefits and pay. Small raises, increased retirement health care premium contribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the sexism.

Virginia Beach Public Libraries are not perfect, but they can be a great place to work if you love working in libraries.

Librarian (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe public library system in Virginia Beach is a great place to work in most instances. Because it is a midsized consolidated library system, composed of a central library and nearly a dozen other smaller community and specialty agencies, work environments and job experiences can vary widely. I have personally worked at several of the system's agencies and have a good overall feel for the nature of the system because of those experiences. By and large, those experiences have been overwhelmingly positive, and I feel as though I have greatly benefited from my time working in the system. Some of the best aspects of my place of employment are the ability and encouragement to continually learn new skills (or hone old ones) through a wide variety of training and development resources. Also, the collaborative working environment that exists in most of the workplaces throughout the system is a major plus. I really enjoy the ability to speak freely about my ideas and offer suggestions for process improvements that will help us to provide better services to our customers. And of course, one of my favorite aspects of the profession is the wonderful people I get to meet and interact with as part of my job. Public service jobs are probably not for everyone, but for those who enjoy those interactions, this is a great place to get that experience.

ConsAt times there can be a bit of a disconnect between senior management's perception of reality and the actual conditions within the various agencies throughout the system. On the other hand the flip side of this could potentially be true as well (that employees do not fully understand all of the factors that influence decisions made by senior management). Because we are a governmental agency, we are constantly subject to fluctuations in the political climate and this can be sometimes be seen as a limiting factor. Finally, inconsistencies in policies and treatment of employees can also rear its ugly head from time to time. On a positive note, this is something that employees feel empowered to point out when it occurs, so the climate that supports these types of inconsistencies is usually limited to a small number of individuals and is usually corrected by others in the organization who are vigilant about such behavior. One last comment in this are might be that there can sometimes be too many fingers in some of the organizations pies... this is to say that the reliance on creating unwieldy teams and committees to tackle work that could be more efficiently done by individuals or even smaller groups can lead to environments that are less productive than they might otherwise be.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time "in the trenches". Take a day or two out of what I'm sure is a very busy schedule to live a few days in the shoes of the agencies that you are making decisions for. Listen to the advice of those on the front lines of the customer service desks and take those sentiments to heart when contimplating policies that will impact those employees. When you are made aware of inequities in the way that some individuals are treated within the system, take action rather than letting those situations fester.

Virginia Beach, mediocre.

Master Police Officer (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA

ProsThe atmosphere is nice and there are fine businesses here.

ConsThe city spends entirely too much money on projects and not enough on employee benefits or retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees more

Working for Virginia Beach is OK.

ProsJob security. My title is in high demand.

ConsThey don't reconize that in our area of work the direct care staff is what help pays their salary.

Worked for Virginia Beach? Contribute to the Community!