Virginia Department of Corrections

Updated October 9, 2014
2.4

Virginia Department of Corrections Director Harold W. Clarke
Harold W. Clarke

The people on the staff are great.

Current Employee - Electronics Tech in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Electronics Tech in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Department of Corrections full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Always an interesting work environment. Your days are hardly ever the same.

Cons

Really no advancement opportunities, no pay increases. You have to adjust off your overtime. So make sure you are comfortable with what you negotiate up front.

incompetence will rise to management positions

Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Chesapeake Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Chesapeake Beach, VA

I worked at Virginia Department of Corrections full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was covered under the old retirement plan and bought 4 years service credit for military service at the old 5% rate. Got that amount back in increased pension within 7 months.

Cons

The last warden I worked for, did not communicate with his employees, he disseminated. He wanted one way communication only, him to us. Our shift motto was BOHICA, Google that!

Before you tell us what to do, learn what it is we do and what you are telling us to do.

Pretty good organization

Current Employee - IT Person in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - IT Person in Richmond, VA

Pros

Good opportunities for training (they have their own Academy).
    The IT Department has a great CIO
    Friendly work environment at the HQ
    Good benefits as a state employee

Cons

I can only speak for the IT Department, but a few of the managers are protective of the assignments and opportunities they dish out. Sometimes it takes intervention from the CIO before the manager will allow his/her team to do anything interesting.
    There is a clear delineation between the Application Development staff and the other teams (Operations and Security). Collaboration between the teams only happens when the CIO directs it.

There's no point. The one that needs to hear it, doesn't listen anyway.

Too much politics from people in Richmond that have no clue what goes on.

Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Pound, VA
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Pound, VA

I have been working at Virginia Department of Corrections full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Have decent benefits and retirement

Cons

Dangerous job, long hours, inmates hate you

Use as a stepping stone.

Former Employee - Correctional Officer
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer

I worked at Virginia Department of Corrections full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired, only work 14 days a week, training is easy, the academy serves pretty good food. Some co workers are alright.

Cons

They hire anyone who walks through the door. The pay and benefits are horrible for what you put up with. Incompetence at all levels of this organization. Facilities are falling apart and upper brass does nothing. My pod had no radio reception, no intercom to master control,and a control panel that over heated daily. Cell doors that would not lock or failed to unlock. Expired OC at many posts. It wasn't uncommon for me to be on the floor with no radio or cuffs, was told to deal with it. Wasn't a good felling the night George Zimmerman was acquitted.

Add an aptitude test and mental health assessment to the hiring process.

Extremely underpaid, constant fear of firing, terrible administration. . .

Current Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Craigsville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Correctional Officer in Craigsville, VA

I have been working at Virginia Department of Corrections full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Time off (Although, we have to plan our entire 2014 vacation schedule in November, 2013.)
    - Benefits
    - 401K

Cons

- Constant fear of firing (Although nothing was done wrong, hearsay, etc. . .)
    - Extremely underpaid (Starting pay as of 04/08/2014, $28,035)
    - No raises (We received a 2% raise, but they required the 2% to go to your 401K. Therefore, I actually lost money due to taxes. I want to administer my own 401K.)
    - Constant overtime (We work 16 hour days, and receive a one hour break throughout the day. The inmates eat three times in the time we eat once.)
    - Extremely high turnover rate
    - Although hired, they have difficulty retaining employees.
    - New hires, after 10% raise from probationary period, will make higher salary than veteran officers.
    - Lack of support from upper management (Immediate supervisory staff is amazing, but anything of lieutenant or higher, good luck.)
    - Evidence-based Practices is a complete failure.
    - Building Manager concept is a complete failure.
    - Decisions being made by upper management that affect line staff, although they've never actually worked in a line position.
    - Favoritism and fraternization. . . And I'm not referring to staff on staff. . .
    - Accepted position after wanting to get into law enforcement, and because of this job, I no longer want to work in the field at all.

- Listen to your line staff
    - Ask questions before firing
    - Resign

I felt like I had less freedom to do a good job than the inmates had while incarcerated.

Former Employee - Recreation Supervisor in Troy, VA
    Former Employee - Recreation Supervisor in Troy, VA

I worked at Virginia Department of Corrections full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits; excellent job security due to low expectations of work performance;

Cons

Extremely hostile working conditions, especially at FCCW; little to no support from upper management; highly discriminatory; incompetence runs rampant; honesty and integrity are spoken of but rarely demonstrated

Stop offering promotions based solely on race and longevity, because you are cultivating an unbearable work environment for energetic employees who come in with the knowledge and motivation to make a positive impact.

Virginia Corrections Officer for seven years

Current Employee - Corrections Officer
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer

Pros

Excellent benefits, the amount of time off that is available.

Cons

No support by Administration, supervisors, and other officers. Expect to be scrutinized against if you actually do your job. No recognition for doing a good job, but the moment you make a mistake, Admin is ready to drop the axe.

Treat the employees that actually do a good job as a asset.

I was more worried about the officers than the offenders...

Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Corrections Officer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Department of Corrections full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is that the academy made me push myself and I am proud that I made it through.

Cons

Everything. The officers would sleep or watch Netflix during shifts and also during training. I couldn't trust the officers in crisis situations or even every day situations. The officers are pushed through training to get another body on the floor because they are always short handed. The offenders are in there for good reasons, but treating them like dirt will cause major problems later.

Fire everyone and hire quality officers who do their job correctly.

A great interim job until you find something better.

Current Employee - Corrections Sergeant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Corrections Sergeant in Richmond, VA

Pros

You only work 14 days a month (12 hr schedule). Your shifts rotate so its not hard to take up to a week off. Steady income. Job promise is always there. Promotion is relatively easy if you have half a brain.

Cons

You will work when no one else does (blizzards, hurricanes, whenever). Generally uneducated and ignorant coworkers and middle management. Pay is unacceptable for what you put up with.

Pay your people, be more selective in your recruitment, trust your people.