Virginia Department of Taxation

CEO

1. Data Entry SWpecialist

Current Contractor - I Am Very Dependable and Prompt in Richmond, VA
    Current Contractor - I Am Very Dependable and Prompt in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Department of Taxation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexible hours they have. I like the friendly atmosphere.

Cons

I only can say that I wish the job was permanent and not just seasonal

2. Financial Specialist

Current Employee - Financial Specialist
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist

I have been working at Virginia Department of Taxation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is very low key and not to much stress from the management. The hours are great!!! and holidays off. Work hard maybe 4 months out of the year.

Cons

VERY low pay for the work that is done. Started as a seasonal work but was picked up permanently with in a year. Not to much room for movement up ... mostly out.

Advice to Management

It is a state job but we are collecting income for the state so it would be nice to increase the base salary.

3. Call Center

Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Department of Taxation full-time

Pros

Lots of training, Casual Fridays, Temporary state employee status

Cons

Extreme supervision, they try to scare and threaten you about any form of disclosure of federal information making you sound like an idiot while talking to callers that cannot be verified for certain accounts. They lay off people constantly. Zero communication between management and call center employees. Most supervisors work from home--cannot forward escalated calls, must do "call backs". Ridiculous fees for parking at both locations (one of which is just a parking lot without a security guard). A lot of uncertainty w/ regard to state budget.

5. Ran on the good old boy network. No leadership. Employees and management does only what is required of them.

Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Richmond, VA

I worked at Virginia Department of Taxation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Basically a guaranteed job as long as you maintain minimum work standards.

Cons

Management is out of touch with real world. The Department would run efficiently if management would follow the example of the private sector.

Advice to Management

Run the department as if it was a private company.

6. no one has a clue

Former Employee - Customer Service in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Richmond, VA

I worked at Virginia Department of Taxation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing they did was start the tele-a-commute program. Beats the 40 to 50 a mo. they take out of your check for parking.

Cons

If someone calls with a question, that can not be answered from the instructions. Your out of luck all of the employes that could help you answer it are ether retired or have been moved to another department.

Advice to Management

Start fresh with the management for the CS department.

7. collector

Current Employee - Collector in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Collector in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Department of Taxation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

time off and benefits are great

Cons

the pay is horrible and doesn't look like its gonna get better

Advice to Management

none

8. Ok Place to Work

Former Employee - Data Capture in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Data Capture in Richmond, VA

Pros

Flexible scheduling and laid back work environment. Casual Dress Code Good communication from governor and senior level management

Cons

No communication between lower level management and employees No health insurance or time off unless non casual employee Low pay if compared to other jobs during the same thing

Advice to Management

The lower level management needs to communicate more the employees. Employees should not have to go out of their way to find out simple information!!

9. Virginia Tax Auditor

Current Employee - Virginia Tax Auditor I
    Current Employee - Virginia Tax Auditor I

Pros

Great work life balance. Low stress. Telework is standard. Upper management is excellent. Virtually impossible to get fired even if you should be. By the nature of the work it is near impossible to work a true 40 hour week. I used to average about 30 and was trying hard to work 40. Most field auditors get a state car and high speed internet connection along with a laptop that can be used non work hours(not the car just the computer & internet). If you get one of the good districts you will feel self employed however none of the above apply to Northern VA where the supervisors suck because of micro management. You must try to get the job in central or southern VA where the good supervisors are stationed. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay is way below the average for accounting professionals. CPA's and tax attorneys can double or triple the salary about anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Increase pay and have the supervisors in the southern districts train the other field supervisors.

RSS Feed </> Embed