Virginia Hospital Center

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James B. Cole

Very flexible, but not much advancement

Development Assistant (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Prosflexibility, family centered, open communication

Conslack of advancement in non-clinical positions

Top 100 Hospital! You spent too much on those signs.

Staff RN (Current Employee)

ProsOffers opportunities to new graduates for employment. Has 12 shifts. Can pick up over time. Clean environment for the most part. Friendly staff.

ConsDo not be fooled this is a business like any other business to make money. I have heard complaints from the public that did not know I was employed there. The nurses were involved in Magnet by force to make hosital appear nurse friendly. Education funds not necessarily available. Supervisors are busy to the point there is not unit cohesiveness which lets loose a pecking order that can be uncontrolled. Part of work reviews are also based on coworkers subjective observations that are unknown to you, this can be a set up based on clicks. I do not feel empowered and have seen high turn over of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementReveal your hidden agendas. Think about modeling after companies that have consistently made the news for happy productive employees, Ecos or Fedex for instance.

Very successful business plan, nurse friendly and opportunity to be successful.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsQuality leadership, flexible scheduling, most people are satisfied with their job

Consparking can be a pain

Advice to Senior ManagementVery proud to be part of the team

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could've been better

Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsMost of my co-worker were awesome. Friendly staff, security team was great.

ConsSome of the nurses are lazy and don't appreciate having a good Patient Care Assistant, favoritism happened a lot here. Management isn't as productive or proactive as they could be when it comes to patient care or listening to the concerns of the staff. Especially night shift workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff more.

Good employees, Bad Executive Leadership

Director In Clinical Service (Former Employee)

ProsVHC has some of the best equipment, they do not hesitate to spend capital
    Pay is at the high level of the range
    Good benefits
    Great fellow employees

ConsManagement style at VP level and above focuses only on fear. The high, middle, low process is theoretically a great way to evaluate staff, unfortunately it is used by VHC to remove anyone regardless of how well they perform their job. Politics and nepotism are rampant within this hospital and the executive leadership promote it.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way you do business and treat employees. It is a shame that such an educated and energetic work force has to walk on eggshells at all times worrying about their jobs. Speaking up in meetings about issues sensitive to management or being blamed for bad outcomes are not good reasons for terminating employees.

Note to job seekers: Do not leave a decent job to come work for VHC. Only come here if you have no other options because there will be no loyalty to you from anyone in management. They will use you and throw you in the trash!

Great hospital to work for.

Ekg Technician (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsI really enjoyed the patient interaction. The staff at the hospital is friendly as well, overall a great work enviornment.

ConsThe location is in a heavily congested traffic area I lived about 20 miles from the hospital and I took me about an hour to get there.

Great hospital, hard to advance as RN

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsClean, friendly, safe, good benefits

ConsNow that they are trying to achieve Magnet status, it seems they are trying to limit yearly raises to as little as possible for nurses, making it harder and harder for them to advance even though Magnet status is supposed to encourage not discourage. Turnover rate is increasing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotivate your employees, don't squelch them with a 1-2% raise that does not even account for a cost of living adjustment

Mr. Cole needs to walk the walk not just talk

Clinical Management (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsSmall and highly maneuverable and that is the only reason they get certain awards and distinctions. Its not that they are better they are just a little bit quicker.

ConsTalented people end up leaving and those remaining are lifers. The lifers do anything possible to keep their jobs. When new people come in, they figure this out and attach themselves to those lifers or they make a name for themselves and get out. This works out for everyone, people learn and enhance their marketability and the lifers get to stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. Cole, your leadership team can be brats at times and you probably know this already. You also know that they are spoon feeding you. Go out there and randomly talk to people who don't get the shine or the visibility or those you feel in the gut are just good people. Health care is getting more competitive you need to fix as many leaks and cracks as possible.

Great Place to Work!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe pay is higher than other area hospitals. The culture is great - people are nice and teamwork is strong. Nurses serve on all sorts of committees and are involved in the major decisions that are made. Nurses have high expectations of themselves and of each other. This leads to a workforce that is highly engaged and encouraging to one another. This is pretty rare for a hospital - especially in this part of the country. There is a lot of pride that you are a Virginia Hospital Center nurse. Parking is FREE! All staff can now park on-site for FREE in the same garage as the patients. The hspoital has lots of money to pay for nurse education and there are tons of opportunities for advancement.

ConsThey hire a lot of new graduates (this is a pro if you are a new graduate), but you have to enjoy orienting new nurses if you are a more expereinced nurse.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you are doing!

Understaffed and Overworked

ConsNurse:Patient ratio is high
    Documentation changes every week
    Parking sucks!
    Unrealistic expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some patients so you can see how we feel.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Virginia Hospital Center? Contribute to the Community!