Virginia Housing Development Authority

Be The First To
Add Photos

Virginia Housing Development Authority Executive Director Susan Dewey

Susan Dewey

Incredible place to work and be a part of

Richmond, VA

I have been working at Virginia Housing Development Authority full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAwesome Mission - very engaged and knowledgable management and staff - Visionary Organization - High Values

ConsSkillsets are not as up to date because of tenure of staff - Struggles with culture

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with excellent work and Always work as a team

VHDA is a great place to work.

I have been working at Virginia Housing Development Authority

ProsVery successful providing low income housing loans. Well-run organization. Good communications between management and staff. Clear organizational objectives. Good benefits.

ConsManagement office politics can be rough.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communications lines open to the staff.

Great company, horrible IT management issues.

Manager (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Virginia Housing Development Authority full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits, invested Director, nice overall environment. Working in any department OTHER than IT is considered a good gig.

ConsThe IT Department is horribly mismanaged and uses reorgs and firings to maintain order. The IT Director knows nothing of IT and surrounds herself with people who tell her what she wants to hear. For many years only women were allowed to do well in the IT Department, but I have heard that the situation is slowly changing, although everyone does their best to keep their heads down.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept new blood even if you disagree with them. There's a reason it took you 10 years to redesign a web site, and it isn't because you were right all the time. It's the same reason you were hacked for several weeks several years ago at a cost of several hundred thousand dollars; you refused to listen to the experts.

An overall hostile environment, demoralizing work culture, and sadly incompetent leadership in many departments.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Virginia Housing Development Authority

ProsGreat health benefits, on-site parking structure, on-site cafe and gym.

ConsManagement in key departments is dismissive of the knowledge and talent of their employees. Favortism and a 'good ol' boys' culture, rather than skill or talents, dictate management staffing choices.

Correction to information posted for this company - Janet Butler, aka Janet Wiglesworth, is NOT the CEO, she is merely the Director of Information Technology Services. Susan Dewey is the Executive Director.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the people working for you; you hired them, you must have had some degree of confidence in their skills.

Worked for Virginia Housing Development Authority? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Virginia Housing Development Authority reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Virginia Housing Development Authority CEO Susan Dewey. All reviews posted anonymously by Virginia Housing Development Authority employees.