Virginia Mason Medical Center

Virginia Mason Medical Center Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Virginia Mason Medical Center Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan

Gary Kaplan

Overall a great place to work

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsVery good work life balance, plenty of great benefits and the compensation seems on par with the industry average.

ConsThey put more emphasis on clinical advancement and the same consideration isn't given to administrative and support staff.

Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past!

I loved working at Virginia Mason Medical center

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat atmosphere, continuation of learning, so many opportunities for growth

ConsI don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!

Jul 7, 2014

Relentless focus in continuous incremental improvement, to create the perfect patient experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProgressive, innovative, constantly striving to improve quality and safety of care. Respect for people of utmost importance.

ConsNeed performance based raises so high performers are appropriately compensated.

Jun 30, 2014

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok but not as good as advertised in their book

ProsGreat people working together can accomplish a great deal with their management system

Consslow to react and grow

Jul 7, 2014

Ageism Is Alive And Well

Referral Coordinator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVMMC used to be a "family" of experienced support staff. It was a great place to work and advance. Learning was encouraged and hard work was compensated.

ConsNow youth is key. Low experience, low pay, big smiles. If one is over 55, highly experienced, and has worked hard to attain a top salary range WATCH YOURSELF! I have seen six of my esteemed coworkers heads roll, only to be replaced by cheaper help. Look for grey hair at VM, you wont find any. Its a very sad change in what VM values, and the Patient's are the ultimate losers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your bottom line is MONEY, and not having an experienced staff then your values have truly slipped. It's so very sad to see how little you value your most loyal and experienced employees, and how easily they are discarded without so much as a second thought. Its all about the budget. What happened to wanting the best most experienced people working for you?

Jul 18, 2014

Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We’re sorry that it didn’t measure up to our shared expectations, but we do appreciate hearing from you, and this ... More

A great career choice.

Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery thorough interview process. They check all past employers, education, credit and WSP. I think it's great as you end up with co-workers who are there for a career as well. Hardly any turn over or open jobs. Their benefit package is very competitive. Different tiers of healthcare options as well as Alfac and Willamet Dental.

ConsHard to get in. After formal interview you are usually hired. My hiring process took from first contact to start date was about three weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive prospective employees a chance to grow. The chance to gain experience in a hospital setting.

Jun 6, 2014

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat working environment, supportive, benefits, perks, and friendly coworkers.

ConsWage per hour is slightly lower than other places, but benefits, perks, and overall working environment makes up for it.

May 12, 2014

All in all a great place to work

ProsGreat culture, opportunities to learn and develop. Fantastic leadership training and focus on improvement

ConsSalary increases are not based on performance, but market rate. Hectic pace with lots of change

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Apr 22, 2014

Working hard to be a safety leader

Staff RN (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood protection for staff, focus on process, not mistakes.

Conshaving to work every other weekend

Mar 31, 2014

Thanks for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past!

Good Place, Reputation is Real

ProsThere is a real effort her to make this little hospital a world class place. People tend to stay employed here for years upon years, which is untypical these days. The application of improvement methods like Lean/Kaizen is done in unexpectated ways compared to other industries.

ConsBenefits could be better, there is a lack of job mobility internally because this is a medium-sized place. The handfull of negative employees who stick around are holding the rest of the place back.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep expanding and pushing the understanding and appreciation of empathy and community. This will increase the level of care people have for patients and their coworkers.

Mar 31, 2014

Worked for Virginia Mason Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!