Virginia Mason Medical Center

Reset
3.6
Virginia Mason Medical Center Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan
Gary Kaplan

Pros
  • leadership , very well managed, company values are ingrained with employees, great patient care (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay and excellent employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The staff also skews older and technologically challenged compared to companies outside health care (in 2 reviews)

• Lots of internal audits and mid level management types (in 2 reviews)

1. Emergency Department Technician

Current Employee - Technician/Patient Care Technician in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Technician/Patient Care Technician in Renton, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great company with exceptional benefits. A great work environment with people who you enjoy working with.

Cons

The management states "they want to listen to what you say", but just is a front and do not listen to what staff have to says.

Advice to Management

Management is too big. There are way too many positions within the organization that are not involved with direct patient care.

2. Nurses´Aide

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

nice ande beautifull place to work and the people are the Best.

Cons

I do not have cons

Sep 1, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

3. Project manager

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time

Pros

Team atmosphere, strong mission, high quality medical staff

Cons

Salary is less than other hospital groups

Advice to Management

Improve benefits

Sep 1, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present. Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback.

5. Learned a lot over the years

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

VMMC strive for patient safety and continuously work in improving the quality of care. Knowing that, it would be one of the first places I would recommend anyone for their healthcare.

Cons

Overwhelming tasks/responsibilities given to MAs, while RNs only came in to work as little as they possibly could. Nurses I worked with were not team players because they're "RN's". They only step-in only if there's an urgency, otherwise, they're too "busy" typing up their reports.

Advice to Management

Provide incentives and recognize those who take initiatives.

6. Very disappointed CNA

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jones pavilion is a very nice facility, quality healthcare, okay pay and benefits, seems to be well organized and well staffed more often than not.

Cons

I was an employee here for 3+ years and got along with everyone. I followed the rules, I was great with my patients, I left with plenty of positive references and friends. I liked the company so much, I decided to return (I was told to call anytime). Upon getting ahold of my former manager, I learned I was flagged as ineligible for rehire. Rumor has it that I had spoken negatively about another employee, something I was never confronted with or given a chance to defend. The conversation was brutal to say the least, my inquiries were met with enthusiastic and cheerful professionalism despite the nature of the discussion. I construed this cheerful tone delivering bad news with no intent to listen to anything I had to say as joy. This was very hard to swallow, for 3 years I was in high standing with everyone I worked with, many of the staff I've stayed in contact with have offered to write letters of recommendation to HR about my return. In the short 3 months I worked under my interim manager, a very negative opinion was developed and my reputation with VM was gone. I later received a very direct and not so polite email demanding that I stop calling the facility, despite my invitation to call and inquire anytime. I've attempted to file a grievance with HR, but I have yet to hear back. I feel humiliated, slandered, vilified and unjustly cast out. This is not what I expected from a hospital like Virginia Mason.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. System Analyst Programmer IV

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time

Pros

Good management, great staff, they put the patient first and provide great patient care. I would recommend Virginia Mason as a place of employment and as a hospital

Cons

The location is not the easiest for public transportation and there is no staff parking during the daytime on weekdays.

Advice to Management

Work on keeping the great staff you have. Putting everyone's salaries into buckets based on titles does not make sense.

8. Patient Care Tech

Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing organization with a strong mission statement that they wholeheartedly work towards achieving. -Fair patient-to-staff ratio -Great benefits -Great time off -Tuition reimbursment

Cons

None to share, this has been a wonderful organization to work with for the past 2 years.

Advice to Management

Spend time on the floor to really grasp the amount of work that goes into caring for the patients.

Aug 3, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

We appreciate you posting this review and sharing your feedback. It is important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

My job focused on customer service and keeping their needs at the top of the pyramid.

Cons

Need to treat the employees with respect

Advice to Management

Customer service is driven by your first line employees. Listen to them.

Aug 3, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. Your comments will be shared with our Senior Leadership.

10. great place to work (if you have a good manager)

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time

Pros

The right manager can help you grow and develop, but the contrary is also very true. Management and most staff place importance on the strategic plan and put the patient at the top of the period.

Cons

Continuing education support is limited unless you are nursing staff.

11. Great place to work and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

There is no better place to work if you are looking for a health care organization that put patients first and listens to its staff.

Cons

Being a 95 year institution in the heart of Seattle, some of the facilities are old and not reflective of the level of care provided.

RSS Feed </> Embed