Virginia Mason Medical Center

Updated November 9, 2014
3.5

Virginia Mason Medical Center Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan
Gary Kaplan

Pros
  • leadership , very well managed, company values are ingrained with employees, great patient care (in 5 reviews)

• There is almost an equally strong effort to train all employees in Lean Thinking (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Several job duty modifications have resulted in employees taking pay cuts to keep their jobs (in 2 reviews)

• Need a better performance management system (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, Management Heavy

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Controlled environment with good patient care

Cons

Lots of internal audits and mid level management types

Sep 24, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback!

Sluggish atmosphere, but secure employment.

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, some good people, non-profit company committed to help others. Overall I have fond memories about Virginia Mason. However, now that I left and learned how fun and flexible corporate structure can be elsewhere - I could never go back.

Cons

Sluggish atmosphere, inflexible and weird corporate policies. Many rules that are necessary in a clinical environment but make no sense in a corporate office.

Is neutral employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees! Everyone has a "our patient's are important!" attitude

Cons

Not alot of job growth unless you have RN degree. Too much focus on processes, getting the flows down but no one is filtering those processes into reality

Open up different types of job positions for employees to gain potential job growth

Oct 15, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past.

Mostly great

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Listen to and provide a form to contribute staff ideas, no layoff policy (so far), fair pay, bonuses nearly every year. Pro-active and environmentally good stewards throughout the medical center, progressive and smart.

Cons

Health Insurance contribution and retirement could be better compared to other Seattle hospitals, CEO salary is way out of line, supervisors seem to want to make you feel insecure and anxious about your job security, ZERO positive feedback about a job well done either individually or as a group, ageism is rampant in some departments. The bottom line is the bottom line, too much so.

Praise your employees in front of the group, tell them when they do a wonderful job, give them credit and ask for their opinions! Do not discount and denigrate older employees--they have so much to offer! They may not be super-fast or nimble, but they are superior in so many other ways--ways that could benefit the group if used creatively and with a sense of their innate value by virtue of years of experience and what they carry around in their heads--wisdom! Do not constantly stress quantity of work over quality of work.--value both with quality always, always, always taking precedence where there is a choice. Metrics should be group rather than individual. Individual metrics made public is something diabolically designed to humiliate and stress employees. Value on-site employees, do not outsource work, period. The outside vendors are sweatshops 99% of the time.

Aug 15, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past!

Losing focus on employee satisfaction with work-life balance, but excellent pay and top-quality patient care.

Former Employee - Sonographer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sonographer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

VM is truly committed to their patients and puts them first above all else.
    Pay scale is one of the highest in the nation for radiology (90th percentile)
    Fast paced, incredible work opportunity to learn and develop skills and experience
    Excellent to a fault for managing finances and keeping the hospital up and running. Employees get a bonus if the company does well for the year.
    Fantastic radiologists, surgeons, and PCPs

Cons

The happiness of the employee is at the bottom of the pyramid. In radiology, they are moving toward a model where employees are required to flex their daily schedule anywhere from starting the day at 7am to working till the late hours of the night. They also have to rotate out to all of the satellites which geographically range from Federal Way to Bainbridge island to Lynnwood to Bellevue to Issaquah (although at least the satellite clinics are not open for service all evening).
    Part-time employees are being thinned out as well as people with seniority. Since being required to flex, a part-time employee will never get a set day to work. It is anywhere from Sunday-Saturday. The management recognizes this and the solution is to turn the part-time positions into full-time positions, thereby eliminating part-time opportunities.
    Our group used to be supportive of each other and help each other out if someone couldn't work a certain shift to travel to a certain satellite, but the morale is steeply dropping. In the last 3 years, the turn-over rate has been 9 people and more people will be leaving because of the lack of consideration of the happiness of the employee. "If you don't like it, too bad, you can always leave." Is the motto nowadays. So the department is now full of newbies, on the lower pay scale. Very convenient for the financial bottom line and ridding people who have lost the fight for a work-life balance.
    Vacation time is extremely difficult to get approved and will be until they get a handle on employee satisfaction and are able to retain talented people.

Take a set back and think about what sacrifices you are asking your staff to make and how the new flex schedule impacts your employees lives. People with families who want a work-life balance are not being considered. People who have other commitments such as volunteering, other jobs to maintain other skills are not being considered. Happiness of the employee is simply not being considered. You are making this hospital into a great place for new people out of school, desperate for a job and willing to work any shift and day of the week at your beck and call. Continue down this path and you will continue to loose the talent that made VM what it is today.

Aug 6, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We’re sorry that it didn’t measure up to our shared expectations, but we do appreciate hearing from you, and this ... More

PCT

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

leadership , very well managed, company values are ingrained with employees, great patient care. great respect for ideas .

Cons

Infrastucture is a bit dated.

I loved working at Virginia Mason Medical center

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, continuation of learning, so many opportunities for growth

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

Keep up the great work!!

Jul 7, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

The Grass is not Greener else where work for this place!!!!

Former Employee - RN in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - RN in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Safety is a real top priority at this medical center. They live it. It is not just talk.

Cons

No employee parking. The Commute into downtown can get to you at times. Since it is downtown space is very limited. Some the of the areas are beginning to show its age, in need of remodeling.

Keep up the good work

Aug 6, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

Pros

Very good work life balance, plenty of great benefits and the compensation seems on par with the industry average.

Cons

They put more emphasis on clinical advancement and the same consideration isn't given to administrative and support staff.

Jul 14, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Ok but not as good as advertised in their book

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people working together can accomplish a great deal with their management system

Cons

slow to react and grow

Jul 7, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist