Virginia Mason Medical Center

Virginia Mason Medical Center Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan

Gary Kaplan

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I loved working at Virginia Mason Medical center

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat atmosphere, continuation of learning, so many opportunities for growth

ConsI don't have anything negative to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!!

Flag Review
    Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review Jul 7, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past!

A great career choice.

Pharmacy Tech (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsVery thorough interview process. They check all past employers, education, credit and WSP. I think it's great as you end up with co-workers who are there for a career as well. Hardly any turn over or open jobs. Their benefit package is very competitive. Different tiers of healthcare options as well as Alfac and Willamet Dental.

ConsHard to get in. After formal interview you are usually hired. My hiring process took from first contact to start date was about three weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive prospective employees a chance to grow. The chance to gain experience in a hospital setting.

Flag Review
    Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review Jun 6, 2014 EditDelete

Good Place to Work

Seattle, WA

ProsThey provide generous health benefits. They help reliable employees find new jobs within the company if their job is replaced or the employee needs a change. They have many employees that have been there a long time and are experienced.

ConsThere are no performance based raises your salary is based on what they deem to be the 'market value' for your job and your manager has virtually no input. You have to pay for parking, and cannot use the on campus lots during the day.

Flag Review
    Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review Mar 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past!
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working hard to be a safety leader

Staff RN (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood protection for staff, focus on process, not mistakes.

Conshaving to work every other weekend

Flag Review
    Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review Mar 31, 2014 EditDelete

3years of oncology nursing has brought me opportunities for learning and advancement.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe professional generosity of the staff is overwhelming. Nurse success= patient success. VM'a great reputation draws patients from surrounding many states, bringing in cultural diversity.

ConsStaffing is limited and we are forced to work with unsafe nurse to patient ratios. Our patient population is more challenging lately, accommodating to addicts and self-destructive people. We have no in-patient psychiatric care so care of these patients is probably less therapeutic than if psychiatric care was available.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf we must accommodate to hospice patients and IV drug users, please give us more staff so that we can focus on the aggressive care they all need. Also if a psychiatric ward is not in the future than train us more specifically to deal with mentally I'll patients beyond basic nursing skills.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Flag Review

If I could turn back time...

Medical Assistant (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsEasy to get a job there. They used to be more selective but now they just want cheap labor. Embarrassing!

ConsToo much management, never enough real workers. The whole Kaizen thing is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to work

Flag Review
    Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review May 5, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing your input about your work experience with us, and we are very sorry you feel this way. We strongly encourage you (and all employees) to talk through your concerns and ... More

Employee Safety an Issue

Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGood compensation - salary, benefits, but for me, that was where it ended. Even good compensation cannot make up for extremely poor supervisor behavior and a revolving door office.

ConsNo parking.
    Laboratory - Histology personnel wear their lab coats outside of the Histology laboratory, into the Pathology office, which is a clean area. When brought to the attention of "Safety Officer", direct supervisor, Pathology office manager, and finally Lab Director - NOTHING was done. This goes against OSHA standards for Culture of Safety; lab coats should not be worn outside of Histology lab. Supervisor micromanages to the extent of holding work up and/or causing double work, calls other employees derogatory names (a very heavyset man in the department was referred to as "Eyore" behind his back - BY THE SUPERVISOR!), and seeks out "help" to pile things up on her choice "target(s)" - Path office is a revolving door, even the typists went home to work, as the office is too hostile.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to remove the abusive supervisor from the Pathology office, or you will be constantly vetting (and spending a lot of money) new employees.

There are a few employees who used to work in the office who are now working in other areas of the lab; you lost two Path office employees in March alone, directly due to treatment by supervisor.

Also, when an employee brings up a VALID safety issue, it should be looked into, not result in hostile treatment. In the: Histology break room, laboratory general break room and rest rooms, and the Pathology Conference room, there are signs for no lab coats - the Pathology office is also a "clean" area - no lab coats should EVER be worn outside of the Histology laboratory, but it continued up until the day I quit, despite my going through the channels ("safety" officer, direct supervisor, path office manager, lab director, even a pathologist - I have an e-mail with my supervisor agreeing that the lab coats should not be worn in the office, yet NOTHING was done).

I could only stomach six months - I was lucky enough to find another job after relocating here from the Portland/Vancouver area in August - just for this job - what a mistake.

Flag Review
    Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review Apr 15, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We’re sorry that it didn’t measure up to our shared expectations, but we do appreciate hearing from you, and this ... More

Best medical center in Seattle in every way

Seattle, WA

ProsHigh quality, patient-focused care. Great fellow employees. Best doctors anywhere. If you are looking to attach yourself to an organization that cares about its patients, its people and its place in the community, I can't think of a better health care institution than Virginia Mason.

ConsParking, due to downtown location, can be a challenge to those of us who work day shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep asking your employees for ideas and ways to improve. No one else does it like Virginia Mason does.

Emotionally drained.

Inpatient Services (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsCompetitive wages and benefits for the area. 75% transit subsidy is greatly appreciated and kind of makes up for the fact that employees aren't allowed to park on campus.

The "lean" culture is unique, and encourages ideas for improvement from staff at any level.

ConsPatient "satisfaction" seems to trump patient safety and responsible use of resources. Sometimes I don't know if I work in a hospital or a hotel. There seems to be a general fear of repercussion for setting proper boundaries with patients and their families.

I echo prior sentiments regarding inadequate training for patient care staff to safely work with our growing psychiatric population. When you fear for your own safety at work, it's easy to fall victim to compassion fatigue.

Technology isn't utilized as well as it could be. VM could stand to take some cues from other hospitals.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel like our priorities need a reality check. I'm wary of "rebranding" at a time like this. It seems fiscally irresponsible. Provide more transparency to establish a culture of trust. Given the state of healthcare nationwide, there is no better time than now for management to ally with its employees.

Flag Review
    Virginia Mason Medical Center Strategic Recruitment Specialist responded to this review Apr 22, 2014 EditDelete

totally sucked

Clinic Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

Prosorca card, some flexibility as a per diem employee

Conseverything, managers are not helpful

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees

Flag Review

Worked for Virginia Mason Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Virginia Mason Medical Center Videos

Virginia Mason Medical Center – Why Work for Us?

Careers that deliver the best patient care experience. At Virginia Mason, we have an extraordinary approach to how we provide care - Team Medicine. Centered on the principle of collaboration, our interdisciplinary… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Virginia Mason Medical Center reviews and ratings in Seattle, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Virginia Mason Medical Center CEO Gary Kaplan. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Virginia Mason Medical Center employees.