Virginia Mason Medical Center

Updated October 11, 2014
3.6

Virginia Mason Medical Center Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan
Gary Kaplan

Pros
  • leadership , very well managed, company values are ingrained with employees, great patient care (in 5 reviews)

• There is almost an equally strong effort to train all employees in Lean Thinking (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Several job duty modifications have resulted in employees taking pay cuts to keep their jobs (in 2 reviews)

• Due to the non-profit environment, resources for departments that do not generate revenues are limited (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, Management Heavy

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Controlled environment with good patient care

Cons

Lots of internal audits and mid level management types

Sep 24, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback!

Is neutral employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees! Everyone has a "our patient's are important!" attitude

Cons

Not alot of job growth unless you have RN degree. Too much focus on processes, getting the flows down but no one is filtering those processes into reality

Open up different types of job positions for employees to gain potential job growth

Oct 15, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past.

Mostly great

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Listen to and provide a form to contribute staff ideas, no layoff policy (so far), fair pay, bonuses nearly every year. Pro-active and environmentally good stewards throughout the medical center, progressive and smart.

Cons

Health Insurance contribution and retirement could be better compared to other Seattle hospitals, CEO salary is way out of line, supervisors seem to want to make you feel insecure and anxious about your job security, ZERO positive feedback about a job well done either individually or as a group, ageism is rampant in some departments. The bottom line is the bottom line, too much so.

Praise your employees in front of the group, tell them when they do a wonderful job, give them credit and ask for their opinions! Do not discount and denigrate older employees--they have so much to offer! They may not be super-fast or nimble, but they are superior in so many other ways--ways that could benefit the group if used creatively and with a sense of their innate value by virtue of years of experience and what they carry around in their heads--wisdom! Do not constantly stress quantity of work over quality of work.--value both with quality always, always, always taking precedence where there is a choice. Metrics should be group rather than individual. Individual metrics made public is something diabolically designed to humiliate and stress employees. Value on-site employees, do not outsource work, period. The outside vendors are sweatshops 99% of the time.

Aug 15, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past!

Losing focus on employee satisfaction with work-life balance, but excellent pay and top-quality patient care.

Former Employee - Sonographer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sonographer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

VM is truly committed to their patients and puts them first above all else.
    Pay scale is one of the highest in the nation for radiology (90th percentile)
    Fast paced, incredible work opportunity to learn and develop skills and experience
    Excellent to a fault for managing finances and keeping the hospital up and running. Employees get a bonus if the company does well for the year.
    Fantastic radiologists, surgeons, and PCPs

Cons

The happiness of the employee is at the bottom of the pyramid. In radiology, they are moving toward a model where employees are required to flex their daily schedule anywhere from starting the day at 7am to working till the late hours of the night. They also have to rotate out to all of the satellites which geographically range from Federal Way to Bainbridge island to Lynnwood to Bellevue to Issaquah (although at least the satellite clinics are not open for service all evening).
    Part-time employees are being thinned out as well as people with seniority. Since being required to flex, a part-time employee will never get a set day to work. It is anywhere from Sunday-Saturday. The management recognizes this and the solution is to turn the part-time positions into full-time positions, thereby eliminating part-time opportunities.
    Our group used to be supportive of each other and help each other out if someone couldn't work a certain shift to travel to a certain satellite, but the morale is steeply dropping. In the last 3 years, the turn-over rate has been 9 people and more people will be leaving because of the lack of consideration of the happiness of the employee. "If you don't like it, too bad, you can always leave." Is the motto nowadays. So the department is now full of newbies, on the lower pay scale. Very convenient for the financial bottom line and ridding people who have lost the fight for a work-life balance.
    Vacation time is extremely difficult to get approved and will be until they get a handle on employee satisfaction and are able to retain talented people.

Take a set back and think about what sacrifices you are asking your staff to make and how the new flex schedule impacts your employees lives. People with families who want a work-life balance are not being considered. People who have other commitments such as volunteering, other jobs to maintain other skills are not being considered. Happiness of the employee is simply not being considered. You are making this hospital into a great place for new people out of school, desperate for a job and willing to work any shift and day of the week at your beck and call. Continue down this path and you will continue to loose the talent that made VM what it is today.

Aug 6, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for providing feedback about your work experience at Virginia Mason. We’re sorry that it didn’t measure up to our shared expectations, but we do appreciate hearing from you, and this ... More

I loved working at Virginia Mason Medical center

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, continuation of learning, so many opportunities for growth

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say.

Keep up the great work!!

Jul 7, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

The Grass is not Greener else where work for this place!!!!

Former Employee - RN in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - RN in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Safety is a real top priority at this medical center. They live it. It is not just talk.

Cons

No employee parking. The Commute into downtown can get to you at times. Since it is downtown space is very limited. Some the of the areas are beginning to show its age, in need of remodeling.

Keep up the good work

Aug 6, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Ageism Is Alive And Well

Former Employee - Referral Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Referral Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

VMMC used to be a "family" of experienced support staff. It was a great place to work and advance. Learning was encouraged and hard work was compensated.

Cons

Now youth is key. Low experience, low pay, big smiles. If one is over 55, highly experienced, and has worked hard to attain a top salary range WATCH YOURSELF! I have seen six of my esteemed coworkers heads roll, only to be replaced by cheaper help. Look for grey hair at VM, you wont find any. Its a very sad change in what VM values, and the Patient's are the ultimate losers.

If your bottom line is MONEY, and not having an experienced staff then your values have truly slipped. It's so very sad to see how little you value your most loyal and experienced employees, and how easily they are discarded without so much as a second thought. Its all about the budget. What happened to wanting the best most experienced people working for you?

Jul 18, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

A great career choice.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very thorough interview process. They check all past employers, education, credit and WSP. I think it's great as you end up with co-workers who are there for a career as well. Hardly any turn over or open jobs. Their benefit package is very competitive. Different tiers of healthcare options as well as Alfac and Willamet Dental.

Cons

Hard to get in. After formal interview you are usually hired. My hiring process took from first contact to start date was about three weeks.

Give prospective employees a chance to grow. The chance to gain experience in a hospital setting.

Jun 6, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Working hard to be a safety leader

Current Employee - Staff RN in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good protection for staff, focus on process, not mistakes.

Cons

having to work every other weekend

Mar 31, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thanks for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past!

If I could turn back time...

Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Easy to get a job there. They used to be more selective but now they just want cheap labor. Embarrassing!

Cons

Too much management, never enough real workers. The whole Kaizen thing is a joke.

Get to work

May 5, 2014Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for sharing your input about your work experience with us, and we are very sorry you feel this way. We strongly encourage you (and all employees) to talk through your concerns and ... More

Virginia Mason Medical Center Photos