Virginia Mason Medical Center

Reset
3.8
Virginia Mason Medical Center Chairman & CEO Gary Kaplan
Gary Kaplan

Pros
  • leadership , very well managed, company values are ingrained with employees, great patient care (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay and excellent employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The staff also skews older and technologically challenged compared to companies outside health care (in 2 reviews)

• Lots of internal audits and mid level management types (in 2 reviews)

1. Patient Care Tech

Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Tech in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing organization with a strong mission statement that they wholeheartedly work towards achieving. -Fair patient-to-staff ratio -Great benefits -Great time off -Tuition reimbursment

Cons

None to share, this has been a wonderful organization to work with for the past 2 years.

Advice to Management

Spend time on the floor to really grasp the amount of work that goes into caring for the patients.

2. Great place to work and grow

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center

Pros

There is no better place to work if you are looking for a health care organization that put patients first and listens to its staff.

Cons

Being a 95 year institution in the heart of Seattle, some of the facilities are old and not reflective of the level of care provided.

3. Supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, career growth, excellent training, teamwork, transparency

Cons

Work load, work life balance

Jul 6, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

5. Better never stops

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not just a byline an actual way of how things are done at VM

Cons

Going for magnet status, seems impossible to get ahead here. ADN hinders my opportunities and chances are things wont improve until I get a BSN

Advice to Management

Improve education opportunities and covering tuition for the degree advancement you are requiring to stay employed.

Jun 16, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present.

6. great ideas, no follow thru

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

downtown , seattle well known, medical staff are on the ball

Cons

business staff are terrible!, they really are behind the times and fail to solve problems

Advice to Management

clean house, with upper management, promote and recruit college educated managers

Jun 16, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. Your comments will be shared with our Senior Leadership.

7. Administrative Assistant II

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was accepted from the very first interview. I worked in a department where I had very little patient contact. I loved the work and the people I worked with. The job was a perfect fit for my experience and skills. The atmosphere fostered development, learning and positive changes. I was a part of the team and was included in decision-making because my position was key in the work.

Cons

Virginia Mason is like Group Health, a very individual culture. Benefits are very low in the vacation accrual for new hires, not negotiable for hourly employees. Many parts of the work are out-sources.

Feb 2, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Good company to work for but management's people skills are lacking

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are some of the best in the industry. The work environment is very positive.

Cons

Unfortunately some of the managers at Virginia Mason have very poor people skills, so employees do not always maximize their potential. As with a lot of large medical centers these days, you are thought of as more of a commodity/number than a person.

Advice to Management

Would recommend developing your manager's people skills and to treat employees as people and not as numbers.

Jan 26, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. It is very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees. Your comments have been shared with our Senior Leadership.

9. My first stepping stone

Current Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, lots of great changes all the time, wonderful position, small but consistent raises, Typically I'm very engaged, I'm on a very flexible team, schedule is awesome

Cons

Recent loss of hospital contracts, recently had 1st lay-off in history of company, constantly tightening the belt while I've been here..

Feb 13, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback. ts very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees past and present..

Brutal elimination of entire department on 1/15/2015

Former Employee - Observer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Observer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

"No layoff" policy...what a lie. The doctors are good. The management needs a class called "walk a mile in my shoes." Compassion and loyalty or rewarding employees instead of eliminating their jobs...these values are in short supply.

Cons

Reputation of this company must suffer after they callously laid off the entire medical transcription department, eliminating around 60 jobs overall, jobs that were here in this community, paid decent living wages. All gone.The transcription department, numberi around 20, consisted of older, long term employees (20 years or more), some were blind, and all were shocked that their skills, loyalty and contribution to success of VM and patient care and safety were valued and respected so little. An absolute betrayal. Don't trust them, don't work for them. You mean nothing.

Advice to Management

Undo the mistakes and show some character, integrity and compassion. This was Ugly.

Jan 26, 2015 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review, and your feedback has been shared with Senior Leadership.

Is neutral employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great employees! Everyone has a "our patient's are important!" attitude

Cons

Not alot of job growth unless you have RN degree. Too much focus on processes, getting the flows down but no one is filtering those processes into reality

Advice to Management

Open up different types of job positions for employees to gain potential job growth

Oct 15, 2014 – Strategic Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback! Its very important to visitors to be able to hear from our employees, current and past.

RSS Feed </> Embed