Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech Reviews in Blacksburg, VA

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Virginia Tech President Charles W. Steger

Charles W. Steger

Pros
  • Cost of living is relatively low, lots of outdoor activities, small town atmosphere (in 9 reviews)

• Colleagues are nice, the campus is beautiful (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town, dead in the summer and holidays when students leave (in 11 reviews)

• the main problem is that the town is far from big cities (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
126 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Deet's Place was a fantastic place to work on campus

Student Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsFlexible schedules. Great people(made some of my best college friends here). Free on campus meals when working.

Deet's Place was (IMO) by far the best place to work in the Dining Services Department at Virginia Tech as a student. The customers are generally friendly, the employees are awesome, and you get some free meals and coffee out of the deal as well.

ConsGood not great salary, management getting stricter when I graduated.

Some management turnover was when I graduated which made the work life a little stricter than in previous years. Though this was probably necessary for business purposes, the day to day work life was not as loose as in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change too much. Deet's Place was (and I hope continues to be) a great place for students to work.

Great technical university with many opportunities for graduate students

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsThe university is large and well funded so there are many opportunities for research and funding as a graduate student. Lots of opportunity for interaction and movement between departments.

ConsRelatively remote location, small town. Lots of cumbersome beaurocratic requirements for students (forms, seminars, etc.).

Great place to work

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsAmazing small college town. Blacksburg provides a great value to those living in it. The university has a great community culture. Grad students are active. Well respected name

ConsDepending on your department there is a big spread between super nice new offices and grad student offices in older buildings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love the VT community, but more needs to be done about pay raises. The rich keep getting richer.

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsTuition assistance, health insurance, retirement plans

ConsParking is bad and expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the "little people". Housekeepers working here for 20 years shouldn't be making only 19k

Great Educational Environment

Director of Development (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsThis can be a good place to make a name for yourself and the school has a great reputation in the US. Internationally, it may not be as well known but that is not really a big deal. Besides a great location in Blacksburg, Virginia it also has a great presence in Northern Virginia and this is very helpful with regard to targeting all the different government agencies.

ConsUnless you are on the tenure track it is harder to advance your career and in Blacksburg there still are not many other opportunities outside of the University. Travel in and out of Roanoke airport (closest airport) is not very convenient and there are not many flights to choose from.

Advice to Senior ManagementStill can be tricky to navigate through the bureaucracy at times.

Strong engineering school, weak in life sciences, poor leadership

Professor (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsThis is a good engineering school. Large campus with critical mass in many disciplines. Good quality of life with short commutes and many outdoors opportunities. Compensation and benefits are good.

ConsThe town is very small and very far from anything that looks like a city. Travel often is nightmare with long drives or poor airline connections.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would welcome a little more courage to solve problems as they arise instead of trying to bury them with the hope that they may go away on their own.

Mostly supportive and helped me to pay for school.

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsHelped to pay for school and afforded financial opportunities.

ConsCultural Issues, didn't always feel very supportive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to do an exit interview.

Awesome Job

Second Cook (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsLearn a lot, nice people, endless days off

Consno real hierarchy, no real world skills

Food Service Assistant at Turner Place

Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsHigher starting wage, money given for free lunch, good managers, training and advancement opportunities, stable schedule and weekends off (usually)

ConsNo benefits unless salaried, hard to get full time hours, must only eat food provided by the establishment, heavy customer traffic, repetitive tasks, upper management will always prioritize students (employees and customers) over wage and salary workers.

Fulfilling work with great team to work with

Electronics Technician (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsGood benefits for faculty/staff, ever changing work in research is very fulfilling

ConsVery disproportionately difference in pay between researchers and technical staff also a great deal of useless politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote r&d for more efficient and effective project management.

Worked for Virginia Tech? Contribute to the Community!