Virginia Tech

Virginia Tech Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Virginia Tech President Charles W. Steger

Charles W. Steger

Pros
  • Cost of living is relatively low, lots of outdoor activities, small town atmosphere(in 9 reviews)

• Colleagues are nice, the campus is beautiful(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Small town, dead in the summer and holidays when students leave(in 11 reviews)

• the main problem is that the town is far from big cities(in 8 reviews)

Pretty dynamic academic environment

ProsGood compensation, nice small town feel, I always seem to be friends with many of my coworkers. VT has interesting speakers on a regular basis and the opportunity to easily go back to school.

ConsState bureaucracy limits career advancement. Difficult to get top talent to rural SW VA, so often stuck reporting to the B team.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove campus diversity. Sometimes I feel like I am at a mega-church rather than a college campus. I would like to see campus life improved with more cultural activities.

Great Environment

Web Applications Programmer (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsGreat benefits, pleasant environment (mostly), continuing education. If you are interested in continuing your education then VT is a great place to work as they will waive your tuition as long as the coursework benefits the current role you are working in.

ConsFor IT folks it can be difficult to get raises. VT has lost a lot of talent simply because they pay their engineering personnel much less than what they can typically get in the private sector. Of course, health benefits and pleasant work environment often help compensate for this. You have to know what you're getting. If environment, stability, health insurance, etc. are important then VT is probably good for you. If you are looking to maximize your salary then I'd go elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain the best IT talent work on career progression and bringing salaries up to par with private sector

Graduate Student Teaching Assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsAs a graduate student assistant, I take labs for undergraduate classes. It is a fresh revision of those basics as every now and again, students come up with new and interesting questions/problems. To be able to take on this challenge, you really need to have a sound understanding of the course yourself. This is a nice way to keep in touch with your basics.

ConsSometimes the work load adds extra burden, especially as a graduate student.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research assistant

ProsThe pros may be flexibility.

ConsThe cons may be low payment.

Great place to get your graduate degree

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsAs long as your department has money and you work hard, you get paid. Nice environment around mountains .

ConsIt may differ by department, but some don't push you. Quite environment can be both pros and cons. Not too much to do.

Teaching assistant

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsOnline scholar system makes grading fast and easy.

ConsTeaching environment (AC in the classroom).

A good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe dining services provides the employees with competitive wage and the hours are flexible too.

ConsSometimes it is very hard to move up the hierarchy and constant changing of the job to be done makes it hard to master one skill

Excellent university

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

Pros1. Very nice campus, great labs
    2. Good area to live in
    3. Very diverse, at least at the graduate level

Cons1. Work-life balance as a grad student, we all know, doesn't exist
    2. Poor rotation and placement system in the microbiology program
    3. Certain professors with bad student relationships are never disciplined

Beautiful and actually peaceful place for study

Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsBeautiful town for study and living, good place to study. The living cost is relatively low. Bus brings you over the whole town conveniently. Nice and active people you will meet here. Compensation is normal, not better not worse though. Football events makes the town crowed but it is good experience.

ConsIt is very cold at winter time. A little bit not that convenient for shopping. The research press is a little bit high. The entertainment activity is relatively not that convenient, for example, you need to drive to another close city for shopping or watching movie.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Great people and great work environment. It was like a family.

Cook (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsWent to school here,Large university,Free meals, leadership training opportunities, advancement opportunity. Close to everything in town and an easy commute. Close knit community and workplace.

ConsDifficulty with flexibility in scheduling. Required weekend work (food side), some confusion in scheduling and availability. Not much classroom training after initial orientation. Long hours. Hard work. Low compensation to start. (All on food side)

Worked for Virginia Tech? Contribute to the Community!