Virginia Transformer Corp.

2.5
Prabhat Jain

1. Obtained valuable work experience

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

VTC did not micromanage me or have a pre-cut mold that I had to fit into. I was given the freedom to improve certain work processes that I felt needed improvement. They expect hard work but they also reward you for it if you perform well which is all you can ask for. You can do well here if you want to excel at your job and are willing to give the proper amount of effort required. One thing that is certain is that if you are a person that just wants to show up everyday without doing too much you will not like it and you will not be around very long.

No, I am not and never was part of HR....Honest and fair assessment from former employee.

Cons

Employee morale is not as high as it needs to be. I was always treated fairly but you will hear constant grumblings of dissatisfaction from other employees within the company. Employee turnover is high. Not a place to work if you have thin skin.

2. Toxic Environment

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

Cannot see too many pros with this company

Cons

Compensation is horrible, don't care about employees, everybody is replaceable

Advice to Management

Learn to have some compassion and top management should pick better managers

3. This company has the worse reputation in Roanoke County

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

I found out shortly after working here that there are no pros. I wish there was.

Cons

Listen to all the negative comments before you consider working here. As people have warned, the glowing reviews are from HR and Management. This company is a mess and the mess starts with the President.

Advice to Management

I think the Management knows what they need to do. I don't think they will ever do it. Stop covering for the President or you will go down with him. Someone asked on here, how do you sleep at night? Well, how do you? Fix the very bad discrimination, the very bad culture and values.

Prospering company, however a toxic environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A growing company with lots of opportunities and a very profitable business too...plenty of work and a fast paced environment. A lot of great people work at VT, and they made the job tolerable...

Cons

Overall, Virginia Transformer has a toxic environment. Top management (see President and owner) makes it very clear EVERYONE is replaceable, employees are simply commodities and have no greater value than the components necessary for building transformers. Overtime is essentially mandatory (like Saturday mornings), but you will not be compensated for your extra time (not really sure how this is legal, maybe it's not?)...I have never worked for a company with such an toxic "top down" culture where human capital is so under valued...shocking.

Advice to Management

No real advice, I believe the company's awful environment is clearly established by its CEO/Owner, and he does not have the ability to change due to cultural conditioning. To me, a touch of humanism might reduce the "revolving door" taking place at VT, and improve the "bottom line", but this requires a bit of empathy and understanding and that's not going to happen...also, I believe the "pro" comments on this site are posted by current VT management too...so, do read with caution...

Employees are only a number and have no job security

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

The employees are great to work with, however; turnover is so high that it's unlikely that you'll work with the same people for very long. People are literally fired on a daily basis for no reason other than the fact that they can import Indian workers from their other location and pay them pennies on the dollar to work 14 hours days.

Cons

There is no work-life balance, no job security, benefits are lacking, and employee morale is non-existent. The good reviews that you see online are posted by the HR Manager so don't be fooled. This place has a terrible reputation and is considered one of the worst employers in the Roanoke Valley.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and value the significant contributions that they make each day.

It is hard to believe this company still has customers.

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with every place of employment, you can find pockets of good people with good intentions and decent skills. Be sure to be a self-starter and don't expect much training.

Cons

CULTURE SHOCK. Be a man or you won't get paid your worth. Management style is very cut-throat. If you want to stay employed, do not have an opinion that differs from the boss.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror. Do you like what you see? Can you even sleep at night knowing what you know?

8. Current Employee/Former Employee

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time

Pros

I am a former employee who recently came back & I came back for a few reasons. First, to be a part of a growing international business. The Company has consistently grown at a rate greater than 20% annually. Operations have recently expanded with the opening of a new, additional manufacturing facility. The organization has positioned itself strategically in numerous markets globally providing continual, new business opportunities. Secondly, job security and to be challenged professionally. Due to the robust growth, employees at VTC have no worry of layoffs, downsizings or closings/relocations. And, for those type of people, who desire a challenge, set high goals and aren’t afraid of the hard work needed to meet and exceed those high expectations, VTC provides that type of atmosphere with a highly talented, diverse, results driven group of people. Lastly, would be those people and I wanted to reestablish those working relationships with them. VTC is very fortunate to have so many dedicated, dependable, whatever it takes to get the job done employees and I feel very fortunate to be a part of them again.

Cons

In pursuit of achievement of those goals and to meet that growth, there will be growing pains and the parking is one. Due to the large number of increased staff members and manufacturing associates, parking is definitely at a premium.

Advice to Management

Build upon the current momentum of increasing the employee morale initiative by continuing the work needed to keep improving the work environment and increasing employee satisfaction.

9. Give it a Shot!

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time

Pros

Company expending considerable effort to improve employee morale thru coaching, outside training and new equipment. Plant areas have really had a lot of improvement and expansion. High goals are set and are readily being achieved. No wonder the company has been growing nearly 20 % the last few years. Very diverse, culturally rich environment.

Cons

High goal atmosphere can be oppressive for some when occasional miss overshadows all of the successes.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve our work environment. Recognize or emphasize employee success more than our occasional misses.

OK

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job security is good. Cafteria is decent. Career start is not bad. Business is growing and company is doing well financially

Cons

Culture is absolute worst. Pointing fingers, blaming each other are day to day.
    One man show.
    Management is poor and treat employees bad
    Cheap

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees well

Application Engineer

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

May be a good to work for first few years but not more than that.

Cons

No reason to work here.Super Micro management and credit only to people staying late.If you smart , dont come.

Advice to Management

Start trusting people and let them perform and excel.