Virginia Transformer Corp.

2.4
Prabhat Jain

1. Obtained valuable work experience

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

VTC did not micromanage me or have a pre-cut mold that I had to fit into. I was given the freedom to improve certain work processes that I felt needed improvement. They expect hard work but they also reward you for it if you perform well which is all you can ask for. You can do well here if you want to excel at your job and are willing to give the proper amount of effort required. One thing that is certain is that if you are a person that just wants to show up everyday without doing too much you will not like it and you will not be around very long. No, I am not and never was part of HR....Honest and fair assessment from former employee.

Cons

Employee morale is not as high as it needs to be. I was always treated fairly but you will hear constant grumblings of dissatisfaction from other employees within the company. Employee turnover is high. Not a place to work if you have thin skin.

HR

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, some good people

Cons

Totalitarian president micro manages every aspect of business.

Advice to Management

Any advise goes unheard

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing to offer as there are NO pros

Cons

Core values --Integrity, Respect and commitments are missing.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like slaves. Disrespectful, degrading employees and demeaning women.

This Company Causes Nightmares - Run far away from Virginia Transformer Corp!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some very kind people that work at VTC in the non-management group. The location was also close to my house.

Cons

Ethics? Humane treatment? Trust? Fair compensation? If you think these things are a complete waste of time, then Virginia Transformer Corp. is the company for you! You'll fit right in with management especially. Have you ever dreamed of owning slaves, then pull up a seat and take a lesson from owner Prab Jain - - he'll teach you all about it. Although I have never been to prison, I imagine it's where people would go to feel more well appreciated after having worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. The President/Owner, Prab Jain, micromanages the entire company. Everyone else appears to just be puppets, doing his bidding. This is especially true of the inept HR department that seems to leave their ethics and values at the door in order to advance within the company. The turnover - - obviously more than 3 times what would be considered normal - - is testament that the best decision you can make about Virginia Transformer Corp is to either never apply to work there; or if you are working there, to do you ever living best to find better employment. Plainly stated, Virginia Transformer Corp causes nightmares because it is a nightmare. From blatant racism, to questionable immigration tactics (yes, it's that obvious), to slave like working conditions.... it's a nightmare.

Advice to Management

How do you sleep at night? How can you possibly think it is OK to treat people like slaves and rubbish? You should be very ashamed of yourself. Immorality is not a suitable way of life. Try taking an ethics class or reading a book on how to treat people with respect.... you can ask any leader at any other company to help you find one, because I am sure you have no idea what such things look like.

Toxic Environment

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

Cannot see too many pros with this company

Cons

Compensation is horrible, don't care about employees, everybody is replaceable

Advice to Management

Learn to have some compassion and top management should pick better managers

This company has the worse reputation in Roanoke County

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

I found out shortly after working here that there are no pros. I wish there was.

Cons

Listen to all the negative comments before you consider working here. As people have warned, the glowing reviews are from HR and Management. This company is a mess and the mess starts with the President.

Advice to Management

I think the Management knows what they need to do. I don't think they will ever do it. Stop covering for the President or you will go down with him. Someone asked on here, how do you sleep at night? Well, how do you? Fix the very bad discrimination, the very bad culture and values.

Prospering company, however a toxic environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A growing company with lots of opportunities and a very profitable business too...plenty of work and a fast paced environment. A lot of great people work at VT, and they made the job tolerable...

Cons

Overall, Virginia Transformer has a toxic environment. Top management (see President and owner) makes it very clear EVERYONE is replaceable, employees are simply commodities and have no greater value than the components necessary for building transformers. Overtime is essentially mandatory (like Saturday mornings), but you will not be compensated for your extra time (not really sure how this is legal, maybe it's not?)...I have never worked for a company with such an toxic "top down" culture where human capital is so under valued...shocking.

Advice to Management

No real advice, I believe the company's awful environment is clearly established by its CEO/Owner, and he does not have the ability to change due to cultural conditioning. To me, a touch of humanism might reduce the "revolving door" taking place at VT, and improve the "bottom line", but this requires a bit of empathy and understanding and that's not going to happen...also, I believe the "pro" comments on this site are posted by current VT management too...so, do read with caution...

Employees are only a number and have no job security

I worked at Virginia Transformer Corp.

Pros

The employees are great to work with, however; turnover is so high that it's unlikely that you'll work with the same people for very long. People are literally fired on a daily basis for no reason other than the fact that they can import Indian workers from their other location and pay them pennies on the dollar to work 14 hours days.

Cons

There is no work-life balance, no job security, benefits are lacking, and employee morale is non-existent. The good reviews that you see online are posted by the HR Manager so don't be fooled. This place has a terrible reputation and is considered one of the worst employers in the Roanoke Valley.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and value the significant contributions that they make each day.

It is hard to believe this company still has customers.

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As with every place of employment, you can find pockets of good people with good intentions and decent skills. Be sure to be a self-starter and don't expect much training.

Cons

CULTURE SHOCK. Be a man or you won't get paid your worth. Management style is very cut-throat. If you want to stay employed, do not have an opinion that differs from the boss.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror. Do you like what you see? Can you even sleep at night knowing what you know?

Current Employee/Former Employee

I have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp. full-time

Pros

I am a former employee who recently came back & I came back for a few reasons. First, to be a part of a growing international business. The Company has consistently grown at a rate greater than 20% annually. Operations have recently expanded with the opening of a new, additional manufacturing facility. The organization has positioned itself strategically in numerous markets globally providing continual, new business opportunities. Secondly, job security and to be challenged professionally. Due to the robust growth, employees at VTC have no worry of layoffs, downsizings or closings/relocations. And, for those type of people, who desire a challenge, set high goals and aren’t afraid of the hard work needed to meet and exceed those high expectations, VTC provides that type of atmosphere with a highly talented, diverse, results driven group of people. Lastly, would be those people and I wanted to reestablish those working relationships with them. VTC is very fortunate to have so many dedicated, dependable, whatever it takes to get the job done employees and I feel very fortunate to be a part of them again.

Cons

In pursuit of achievement of those goals and to meet that growth, there will be growing pains and the parking is one. Due to the large number of increased staff members and manufacturing associates, parking is definitely at a premium.

Advice to Management

Build upon the current momentum of increasing the employee morale initiative by continuing the work needed to keep improving the work environment and increasing employee satisfaction.

RSS Feed </> Embed