Virginia Transformer Corp.

Add Photos

Prabhat Jain

OK

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsJob security is good. Cafteria is decent. Career start is not bad. Business is growing and company is doing well financially

ConsCulture is absolute worst. Pointing fingers, blaming each other are day to day.
    One man show.
    Management is poor and treat employees bad
    Cheap

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat your employees well

Application Engineer

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsMay be a good to work for first few years but not more than that.

ConsNo reason to work here.Super Micro management and credit only to people staying late.If you smart , dont come.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart trusting people and let them perform and excel.

You WORK for them and they make 1000% sure that you understand they don't care what your life holds

ProsOther then you receiving a paycheck for enduring their abuse nothing to speak of.

ConsThe main challenge is the expected hours that are not consistent or defined. No departmental or interdepartmental communication. NO !!!! NO RESPECT from management. The product produced is in my opinion that of a low end mass produced pizza. They are all different but, are still by all make up the same. The level of craftsmanship is that of a kindergartener with an etch a sketch.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your employee's pay to a fair wage for the job done. Lift the moral and slow down production so that product can be built correctly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very bad culture and work experience

Engineering (Former Employee)

Prosno pros. only cons.

Conswork culture is very bad. management has no vision.
    employee satisfaction is nil.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to change their outlook towards employees.

My Opinion? Not Good.....

Management (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsI honestly don't see any pros. The cons out weigh the pros anyway!

ConsMany cons. Just ask about any employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe President is very hard to work for. Watch your back!

The way I see it.

ProsI have worked for VT for several months and agree that working for VT is not utopia but instead of airing my dirty laundry and personal opinion on Glassdoor I try to remember that it is a job that I get paid to do for a company that has been and continues to be very successful. Personally job security with a company that is experiencing 20 -25% annual growth and is debt free must be doing many things right. Sure my opinion of the way I do my job and the companies may not always be the same but it is my responsibility to seek common ground when I can, accept the principals that the company and its owner adhere to and give VT my best efforts. If the job and company are not for me then I should move on and allow others who will fit it with VT to get that opportunity without criticizing the company on a public forum and possibly influencing other that would flourish in our environment. I have been in most areas of the facility and have not seen the whips, chains or slave conditions that others have mentioned.

ConsDue to growth of VT infrastructure is behind, hard to find a parking place sometimes, break room needs to be improved and maybe better parking lot lighting.

Pretty Satisfactory -- I was Tired of being laid off 3 Times from former jobs, Stability is great

Plant Management (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

Prosa debt free company
    an aggressively growing company
    location, Roanoke is a great mid size city to live and raise kids in, plenty to do
    mid size company, you work hard and achieve results, they are visible
    opportunity to work closely and learn from top-guys
    pays for performance

Conscan improve upon work-life balance
    limited employee activities (this has improved significantly in recent years)

Advice to Senior Managementpay attention to the "cons" mentioned here
    overall doing pretty good!

Good Company for Hardworking Energetic People, Not a Place for Lazy Folks

Business Manager (Current Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsI have been working at Virginia Transformer Corp for about 5 years.

Pros – The atmosphere is overall very friendly, and everyone is working together for the benefit of the company. It is really a great place to start or for that matter continue your career. Pro's include: Exposure to industries, functional areas and customers, Diversity of work, Mentorship; Incredible opportunity to work with senior execs (including president) in solving complicated business issues; Unrivaled HR support related to diversity, benefits and life events; HR team is friendly and welcoming, willing to listen to employees issues (may or may not always be able to help you get exactly what you want, well it's a private business, at least they listen and try to help)

Steep learning curve that propels you into a managerial role in a short amount of time (If YOU WORK FOR IT). Colleagues that are some of the smartest people (but somehow remain grounded and humble with a couple of exceptions, we have those everywhere). Fun teams and good friends, which is key when working such long hours!

ConsNot many cons outside of the obvious ones - work life balance; obviously all of these wonderful pros come at a price: you have to give up your personal life and dedicate yourself to your company goals and customers, Long hours, travel on personal time, limitations on rental cars. (Travel policy needs to be reviewed) however, if you are in not in one of the jobs that require much travel, then no issues. Very fast pace, Sometimes political at "C" level.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focusing on attracting -- and retaining -- the best and brightest.

A company that competes by a psuedo-prison philosophy.

ProsI love the work itself, and I get along great with my coworkers.

ConsMost salaried employees make 15-30% less than their market value dictates. VTC manages to retain good employees by using dirty tricks in US immigration law by getting highly skilled employees under the L1 visa. Under this particular visa, VTC will sponsor immigrants to come to the US to work here. However, if that employee wants to quit, he loses his sponsorship and is deported - hence employees quit very rarely, even if they hate the company they work for. Because the employees have no cards to bargain with (they certainly can't just find work at a better company) VTC doesn't have to pay competitive wages to keep good employees around.It is interesting that a good immigration reform policy by the government could literally devastate this company.

For myself, I make $12,000 less than an entry level professional would in the same industry (and I'm NOT entry level). I plan to make every effort to remove myself from the company when I am capable of doing so.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a big disconnect between the top of the company and the people who make things happen everyday. This is in part because the company is essentially a sole proprietorship, with one man on top who quite often makes bad decisions.

Never work here if you have any other option

ProsNone really, the young engineers are fresh from school and hard working, still everyone greets by "sir" as if we are stuck in British empire days - you got it no positive to state.

ConsThe title summarizes it all. The owner rules here. HR is of no use. You have to put up face time without any reason. Family doesn't come in the picture. So why even work here? All the negative things written in the different postings are true. So if you are planning on relocating to Roanoke to take a job at VTC please don't commit that mistake. It's a dead end as someone put it to me. Micromanagement, no authority to make any decision, rude owner - asks you to meet at 7 pm - does it sound crazy? Believe it - all these are real. You will see in your offer letter that it will be mentioned that you have to put in long hours and occasionally over weekend. You will travel on your own time, stay in motels and not hotels!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of face time, the firm makes enough money, give a break to the employees, m a ke it a 8 - 5 job, don't misuse visa rules and tie up employees to your firm, sell the firm to decent owner

Worked for Virginia Transformer Corp.? Contribute to the Community!