Virtual Causeway

Updated June 17, 2014
2.3

Rick Endrulat

Lots of Opportunity at this Fast-paced Technology Marketing Company

Current Employee - Business Development  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Virtual Causeway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Technology - Work on a variety of client projects - some of the industries best and emerging technology companies. Use industry best in class software like Salesforce.com.
    Learning Opportunities - Company will even pay for you to take courses, ongoing learning supported and encouraged - lunch and learns, training days, coaching, etc.
    Support - Management supports growth and will push you into new areas based upon your skills and abilities. With proven success promotional opportunities are earned.
    Culture - Success culture - incentives and praise for proven success. The team based approach helps to get success quickly. Team members are very willing to help you.
    Care - The company really cares about its employees. They will help you build your tool kit to do your job better now and in the future. In addition, employee events, fun activities and contests.
    Location - Good location - lots of great places to eat nearby, bus route, parking, etc.

Cons

Variety - This can be a pro or con - lots of variety in work - can be challenging to juggle but nice to work on a variety of projects.
    Be prepared to work - This is not a place that you can come in and coast. The company holds people accountable for performance as their clients hold them accountable as well. With any services company - delivering upon client projects is of paramount importance.

Keep the variety of work coming. Love learning new technology and seeing what our Fortune 100 clients are doing to market their products.
    More opportunity - Through my work I see lots of ways we can add more value to our clients. Keep being open to ideas and knowledge sharing.

If you want to be relevant in an organization at Virtual Causeway is the place to build your career

Current Employee - Vice President Operations and Administration  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Vice President Operations and Administration in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Virtual Causeway full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Virtual Causeway has built a reputation for excellence among its clients and team members. Recognized for its leadership and innovation - Virtual Causeway has been in business since 2001.

Leaders at Virtual Causeway are passionate, solution oriented and work closely with team members to resolve issues, and work diligently to coach and guide staff to success. Leaders and staff are excited about the technology and services we market, and have exposure to cutting edge approaches to technology and the sales and marketing approaches to sell the technology to prospective clients.

Key attributes for employees: fast paced, variety of projects, leadership who cares about team members, employees are not a number, plenty of opportunities for growth, development and stretching your skills.
    You can drive your career by having a great attitude, performing, and working as a solid team member.
    Recognition and feedback are part of the everyday culture.
    You are rewarded by what you do and accomplish, not on what you say you will do.
    There are many perks for employees - events, training, exposure to local and international clients. Virtual Causeway employees have access to some of the most sought after executives across North America.

Most of our managers have been promoted from within - hard work, a solutions based approach, leadership competence and strong team players are recognized and rewarded for their contributions and gain increased responsibility accordingly.

We attract ex outside sales persons who are tired of 14 hour days, fighting traffic, beating the pavement, and managing the stress of a heavy travel schedule.

Many of our team members have enjoyed long tenure with our organization - and our average tenure is 4+ years of service.

Cons

Team members are really busy, because there is a lot of demand for our services. This also means we do not have cyclical layoffs due to work shortages.

You count. If you plan to "call in sick" when you're not, slack off, or be a negative influence in the team - team members won't join in your whine fest. Solid team members are busy being successful, have good job satisfaction, and are earning a solid income for their efforts.

Unsuccessful team members and ex-team members who complain and hide behind false and pejorative reviews. Every company has cons, but as a leader, working with management is the way to resolve the issues, not using social media to gripe after the fact. Readers should read reviews with a critical mindset and review those critical reviews from other organizations. There are negative people everywhere and these people tend to have a history of being part of the problem, not part of the solution.

As a member of upper management, I can tell you, we work very hard to support our team members. Running a business is not easy, and management has the responsibility of juggling the needs of employees and clients, while ensuring a safe, health and compliant workplace for team members. It's a major juggling act.

We care about employee success, their welfare and their families. For people who are used to working at faceless corporations where you can hide under the radar - this is a very different atmosphere. If you want to slack off and do the minimum, this is not the company for you. If you want to work hard to achieve, be successful, grow in your career and have great opportunities - this is a terrific environment where you can thrive.

The demand for our services continues to grow - and we've managed to build and foster a terrific line-up of clients in a variety of sectors - to ensure we continue to be vibrant, relevant and successful.

People have complaints with EVERY employer - we want to hear from our employees and do our best to understand and resolve issues.

Cynthia Sundberg, VP Operations and Administration

Growing company, great learning opportunities

I have been working at Virtual Causeway full-time

Pros

- The team is great, lots of really nice people
    - Fun events held each month, both in and out of the office (i.e. bowling, pancake breakfast, candy potluck, BBQ lunch)
    - Summer and Christmas shutdowns
    - Very encouraging of peoples' talents and skills - opportunities to take on projects outside of your team, to learn new technologies
    - Summer hours - 1/2 days on Fridays
    - Fast-paced job - you won't be bored! Tons of projects to work on
    - New-hire training is very thorough and well-structured
    - Employer-matching for RRSP contributions

Cons

Temperature regulation in the office/building is really unpredictable - you need to have a sweater with you, even in the summer

Keep doing what you're doing - the company's reputation in the industry is good, and the book of business is growing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time for less than a year

Pros

Half days on Fridays in the summer
    Don't work later than 6:30pm on weekdays and no weekends
    Hourly pay

Cons

Where do I begin?

- Micromanaged and treated with disrespect from "management" team
    - More "managers" in the office than staff
    - No sick days and when you do call in sick, you are harassed and asked to bring in a doctor's note
    - No room for growth
    - Senior management are family
    - Unreal expectations - over 200 dials all day every day
    - Cold calling
    - Company claims to be a Marketing agency when they are a TELEmarketing agency
    - Constant inquiries into your personal life
    - Forced to spend lunch break with your "team" even though you are not getting paid
    - Extremely high turnover - employees don't last more than a few months
    - Written up if you don't meet your unreal goals
    - Forced shutdowns in July and December when senior management wants to take holidays
    - No breaks..EVER..going to the bathroom is considered a break
    - Minimal pay and no increases
    - "bonuses" are not paid out in a timely manner, if at all
    - Not allowed to socialize with coworkers outside of work
    - Not allowed to talk to coworkers during the day
    - Reprimanded for being one minute late from your lunch break
    - Reprimanded for not dialing every minute - if there is a break on your call log that is longer than a minute you will be questioned
    - Constantly talked down to and belittled
    - Forced social events during the day and after work
    - Forced to work 10 hour plus days in the summer to get the "privilege" of having a shorter day on Friday but you are forced to be out of the office on a Friday by 1pm
    - Management's advice when asked for help on a project? "Figure it out"
    - Be prepared to have your spirit broken and to feel chained to your desk

Stop lying! Advertise the job for what it is - TELEMARKETING cold calling! Treat your employees better and you wouldn't have so much turnover! There is a reason why people quit with no other job lined up. They would rather be unemployed than work for you!
    I don't understand how you have been able to continue running your business this way. You need to change your company policies and learn how to treat your employees or just SHUT DOWN before you break more spirits!

Work Experience - Don't Apply to This Company

Former Employee - Marketing Associate  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Half Days on Fridays during the summer

Cons

This is one of the most unprofessional companies in Kitchener Waterloo. The Marketing position has nothing to do with the real dynamics of Marketing it is a Telemarketing job. You will be calling 8 hrs a day and every call is tracked (you have to make over 200 dials a day)

- Poor Management (Micro-managed) There is nowhere to go in this organization
    - When I called in sick they called my house over 10 times
    - Very low pay
    - Everyone hated their job there, fear of speaking up
    - High turnover – when I was there within a year 15 people came and went

Ignore whatever they tell you, it's a CALL CENTRE!

Former Employee - Business Development  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Business Development in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time for more than a year

Pros

- half days in the summer
    -location
    -flexible hours
    -SOME projects you work on are interesting.
    -involved in the community.

Cons

-very low pay
    -micro managed, it felt like kindergarten
    -bonuses are a joke
    -there is no confidentiality with HR. I tried to bring up an issue I had with my manager and my position, and she ended up telling my manager. Completely defeated the purpose.
    -the office is either VERY hot or VERY cold.
    -the owner is not friendly at all.
    -be prepared to become depressed and undervalued.
    -no room for growth

I ended up leaving after they strung me along for months, promising me that I would be moving up to another position that reflected my career goals. I hated my job so much I quit without even having another job lined up. I would rather be unemployed than work here!

Be honest when interviewing people and tell them exactly what they are getting themselves into.

I enjoyed my time at VC!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time

Pros

- Monthly employee events are fun, and a nice break in the work day (which you get paid for) - and there's usually food involved!
    - The company is really involved with community and charitable organizations
    - Shutdowns at Christmas and in the summer (early July)
    - Summer hours - short days on Fridays (yes, you do make up those hours on other days earlier in the week, but you've got flexibility about how to do it - i.e. come in a bit early so you don't stay as late)
    - Hard work and performance are rewarded
    - The office environment is bright and open - big windows, lots of plants and greenery around
    - Full benefits for all full-time employees - medical, dental, Rx drugs, life insurance, RRSP program with employer-matched contributions, vacation time, employee assistance program
    - They'll help out financially with the costs of training courses, professional certifications, professional association dues
    - They WANT you to succeed and meet your goals
    - They pay hourly - which means that you actually get paid for every hour you work (vs. a straight annual salary amount that doesn't vary even if you work more hours)

Cons

A lot of the previous comments here seem like nastiness just for the sake of being nasty. I did not ever feel "forced" to attend employee events.

If you're having such a problem with your manager that you need to go to HR, consider a couple of things:
    - Did you talk to your manager about the issue at all? Did you make any effort to resolve it with them? That's workplace conflict resolution 101!
    - You need to look at your part in the issue - it's not always so black and white, or not always just a one-way thing - how have you contributed to the issue?
    - It's not a unionized environment - HR is not a union rep who's out to fight with management about every little thing.
    - HR is considered part of the management team at most companies - not just at VC!

They reward and recognize hard work and good performance - if you didn't get rewarded or receive raises, you should consider the possibility that you weren't working hard enough.

Keep doing what you're doing. Ignore all the people who are just being cruel and hateful.

Some people in life say "it gets better." Well in this case - it gets worse. So much worse.

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time for more than a year

Pros

As long as you are not in a management position:
    - Weekends off
    - You won't be required to work more than 44 hours in a week
    - Location (Uptown Waterloo)

Cons

- Your work and schedule is very micro-managed to the point where you will be asked to make up 2 extra minutes you took on lunch. I can understand micro-managing for employees who abuse breaks but for those who don't it's insulting and absurd to be monitored so heavily.
    - Unpaid sick days and frequent calls home the same day after you've called in sick. They have also contacted emergency contacts when you don't answer their calls because you're at home resting like you should be trying to get well. Unbelievable!
    - Employees come to work sick because they either can't afford the unpaid day off or because they don't want to deal with the phone harrassment that follows
    - Flexibility and open-door policy are a joke. They make it very difficult to go to doctor's appointments, government offices and places that you can't get to after 4-5pm. You are expected to book all appointments 4 weeks in advance and have them approve it. For no good reason they will not approve your appointment and ask you to reschedule it for a later time. Not to mention you will be staying late to make up the time for the appointment so it doesn't make sense why they are so stingy about it! People with children suffer more-so because this place is so inflexible and they act like work is more important than family.
    - HR goes to the owners so you never feel you have any confidentiality going to them
    - If you provide any negative feedback they don't want to hear it. They will just attempt to justify their actions/policies instead of trying to improve employee satisfaction.
    - Management/Team Leads talk down to employees in a way that makes you want say something about their attitude/unfair treatment but your spirit is too broken and you fear you'll be the next target.
    - After work events that feel mandatory. Most of the time you are required to pay out of pocket for the event yourself and if you choose not to go due to financial/health/religious reasons they will push you for a reason why you won't attend and will whine about how you are not a team player and how hard they work on these events.
    - Bonuses paid late, little to no raises
    - Asked to work on projects in between making constant dials on another project and call it "multi-tasking". When asked how this is possible they will say "figure it out."
    - Summer hours seem like a "pro" but they are not in my opinion. You have to make up the missing hours between Monday-Thursday which means working later when it's very slow and calling the same lists of people over and over.
    - Don't ever forget your security pass because you will get reprimanded and/or written up. Security is probably so tight because of high turnover and dissatisfied employees.
    - No real breaks other than a strict 30 minute unpaid lunch. bathroom breaks are considered a priveledge and your break.

Advertise this job for what it is - outbound business-to-business TELE-marketing at a high volume. You do not need a University degree to do this job so stop only hiring University grads! That's why everyone leaves!

If you have low self-esteem, this place is for you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Virtual Causeway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Summer hours in summer (done work at 1 pm)
    - Decent location (uptown Waterloo)

Cons

- Management will treat you like a work horse. You're expected to be at their beck and call with no complaints.
    - People with families or children are looked down upon. It's an inconvenience for them.
    - Good luck calling in sick without being called a bunch and nagged
    - Extreme micromanagement i.e. going to the bathroom more than once will be noticed
    - You will be written up for the most ridiculous things i.e. your cell phone accidentally rings because you forgot to put it on silent

Just close down. All your good employees are leaving because you are terrible people.

In one word - Misery

I worked at Virtual Causeway

Pros

- Short Fridays in the summer
    - Shutdown in July
    - Shutdown at Christmas

Cons

- Treated with absolutely no respect by management
    - Job description was misleading because there is non-stop calling from start until end of day
    - HR is part of the management team so there's nowhere to turn if there's an issue with management
    - No breaks at all EVER
    - Questioned about UNPAID sick days and harassed at your home with constant calls and emergency contacts contacted if you don't answer
    - Pay is awful and raises as low as $0.25/hour
    - Being told you weren't allowed to socialize with colleagues outside of work

How you get away with running a business like this I'll never know. One day you need to realize and aknowledge what part of the management team needs to change/leave.

Worked for Virtual Causeway? Contribute to the Community!