Virtual Radiologic Reviews

Updated July 21, 2014

2.5

Jim Burke

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at Virtual Radiologic as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Always enough work to keep you from being bored

Cons

Nothing that I have seen so far

Previously loved this place...

I have been working at Virtual Radiologic full-time

Pros

love the overall business and the contribution this company makes to patient care. Many good people still working here that really believe in the company.

Cons

owned by private equity company, so every penny has been squeezed out of the business in effort to sell. Teams have been skinnied down way too much to be able to handle workload, etc. Private-equity assigned 'turn-around' executive mgmt. team doesn't understand the business and is only interested in getting company to sale and moving on.

vRad - Good company with an unfair bad rap on Glassdoor

Current Employee - Director  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Virtual Radiologic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

vRad is a good company. Individuals that continually strive to add value and make a positive impact on the business, are rewarded by opportunities for advancement, job flexibility, work-life balance, and reasonably competitive compensation. I have worked at vRad for seven years and have been through the highs and lows of the business. I strongly believe that most all past and present leadership have had good intentions and are sincerely doing their best to lead us all in moving the company in the right direction.

Bottom line, if you can demonstrate how you are continually adding value to the company and get along well with others, you will have a happy, successful career at vRad. I have a work-life balance I know would be extremely hard to find at another company. It has allowed me to feel successful in my career and as a mother.

I feel like I have an opportunity to make a difference every day I come to work, and I have felt this way since the day I started. vRad does away with the red tape and rewards individuals for their hard work. The office in Eden Prairie is very nice.

Cons

I don't consider this a con, but vRad is a very fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. If you do not like change, this is not the company for you.

vRad is a smaller company and not all jobs have a well defined career path. If that is what you are looking for, this is not the company for you. You need to take the initiative to make your own career path at vRad and run with it. It's not always going to be easy, but nobody will hold you back.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operations Support Specialist

Former Employee - Operations Support Representative  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Operations Support Representative in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Virtual Radiologic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits and great opportunity for advancement

Cons

Micromanagement is terrible. Ever changing upper management that are too detached from the company.

Treat employees more like humans than numbers.

Vrad good company bad rap response

Former Employee - Office Staff  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Office Staff in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Virtual Radiologic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Just wanted to comment on the latest comment by a director at vrad! It WAS a good company that went bad for several reasons. Mainly the poor directors that were put in place is one of the biggest reasons. Obvious favoritism and friendships that carried on at work and ALL directors were guilty off this!! Had nothing to do with hard work an etc. but had everything to do with being in the "good ole girls club". If you weren't in it you didn't get promoted ever. Second was the purchase of Nighthawk!! Bad decision and loss at a lot of good accounts because of it. So don't try to make it look good when it's not. Take off your rose colored glasses and be real!!

Cons

Definitely management is bad including directors. Owners know nothing about healthcare. Just see dollar signs and lack in patient care. Once an awesome company. Now not.

Promote the ones that do their work, always there and aren't in the "club" as mentioned above.

Definitely Think Twice...

I worked at Virtual Radiologic full-time

Pros

Like most companies, there are some really good people working at vRad.

Cons

The review from April 9, 2014 titled “Review of the Facts about vRad, it's culture and Leadership” says it all and, in my opinion, is truly an accurate reflection of vRad. My advice to prospective employees…if you’re out of work and need a paycheck, vRad can provide that; however, if you’re gainfully employed and considering leaving a job for vRad, I would strongly encourage you to think twice and then think again before you choose vRad. Oh, and don’t expect much from the HR team…they’re about as unfriendly and self-serving as they come.

Terrific experience.

I have been working at Virtual Radiologic

Pros

Strong company with good structure that promotes from within and allows employees to drive their own future with the company.

Cons

Variable hours, turnover in leadership, rigid structure. Going in day after day can be repetitive and stressful.

Unify leadership so that some continuity exists for the employees.

Patient care has been lost. As well, as genuine concern for team members.

I worked at Virtual Radiologic

Pros

Personally, I had a wonderful team who worked together with amazing leadership. That team has since been dismantled.
    Flexibility to work from home when needed.
    CMO, Dr. Ben Strong has been many positive changes for the radiologists.

Cons

For the past 5 years, there have been consistent lay offs.
    No longer have a 401k match.
    "Boys club" c level management.
    Morale is horrible, even tho CEO has himself fooled that HE has corrected the problem.
    Patient care is no longer #1. No joke.
    Team members were not given raises in 2013 YET there were 80+ promotions with raises. This was shared by the CEO during a holiday party.
    After a round of lay offs in March 2014, promotions as well as raises were announced 2 days later at a company wide meeting.
    Focus on teleradiology has been lost, which was the foundation of vRad.
    Team members who are devoted, receive little to no recognition. Above and Beyond awards are great for those who truly deserve the merit.

Read the cons above then work on correcting. Less focus on money, get back on track for patient care.

New Leadership, New Direction, Bright Future

Current Employee - Technology  in  Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Technology in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at Virtual Radiologic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

vRad has gone through some significant changes in the past year, most all for the better. The culture is extremely collaborative with all team members focused on our goals. Every day we take on exciting challenges and use our skills, ingenuity and creativity to solve them. We also have fun along the way. Everyone is empowered to share their thoughts and ideas, and everyone is listened to.

Last, but not least, every day we have the opportunity to touch someone's life, and to improve how medicine is practiced across the world.

Cons

While I do not think this is really a con, it does take a particular type of individual to work here. One has to be willing to take initiative, to step up and get the job done. If you are looking for a place to just show up and take home a paycheck, vRad is not for you. However, if you want to raise your hand, say "I can do that" and work hard to get it done vRad is a very rewarding place.

Keep doing what you are doing. The focus and collaboration are great.

Review of the Facts about vRad, it's culture and Leadership

I worked at Virtual Radiologic full-time

Pros

There are several reviews on here that are either negative & emotional, or clearly way too perky & written by HR. Below is an unbiased and factual review of vRad:
    There are great people that work at vRad.
    The concept is cutting edge (though the execution is not).
    A lot of leadership that caused vRad's initial demise have left (but not all).

Cons

Poor benefits - No 401k match, High Deductible HSA, PTO accrued monthly which won't be paid out if you leave, and you can only carry over minimal amounts.
    They have had lay-offs nearly every year for the past 4 years. This is a result of consistantly poor management & forecasting. Additionally, after most layoffs, there are a slew of promotions - at the director level and above. The people who weren't laid off are really the unlucky ones - they have double the amount of an unrealistic workload to handle.
    There are continual billing & collection issues, yet they refuse to bring in experienced leadership to stop the bleeding. They had an experienced leader in that position for awhile, but she quit.
    If you want to work for a company that values tenure and your contributions, this is not the place. vRad routinely replaces people who have been there a long time with people who will do the job for less. Hence, quality is continually decreasing. After the last round of layoffs, they contacted people whom they had laid off and asked them if they'd come back and do the same role in a temp position.
    No raises / bonuses for past 2 years.
    While most companies right now are challenged with doing more with less, vRad's expectations are simply unrealistic. Their tools are ancient and inefficient, they will not invest in new tools.
    vRad was bought by Equity partners, whom have all but totally eroded the focus this company once had on patient care. The CEO lives in NY and travels to MN weekly to be onsite - he wouldn't even move here.

None - they have heard it all yet refuse to listen or change. My advice is to the employees, the ones that are left and to prospects. Don't drink the kool-aid. Find a company that values you. They are out there. You have options.

Worked for Virtual Radiologic? Contribute to the Community!