Virtuoso

Matthew D Upchurch

Coworkers Are Phenomenal

Current Employee - Corporate Communications in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Communications in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Virtuoso full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Small company with a fair amount of autonomy for each employee. Your contributions have a good chance of being recognized and attributed to you because you are not a small fish in a huge pond.

Cons

Expectations about the amount of work that can get done are sometimes unrealistic. Employees often give up nights and weekends to get everything accomplished, particularly before major company events.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Virtuoso full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice benefits and great people

Cons

becoming too top down management

Great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Virtuoso full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Attracts top talent
    International travel opportunities

Cons

Changes focus and direction on a dime

Mislead

I worked at Virtuoso

Pros

Decent Pay, Relaxed Dress Code, Fun people.

Cons

Micromanagement from direct manager. A outside contractor was brought in to "assist" the onsite team with pushing out a project that was lagging behind as our SVP informed us. What actually happened is the team came in and asked us all what we did and then they promptly let the vast majority of IT go and took over our jobs. But of course we were led to believe that they were brought in to work with us. It was devastating to a lot of people and no the economy wasn't the reason for being laid off. This was

Talk to the little people a little more. Informally or in private without direct managers present to get a real feel on what goes on

Virtuoso workplace

I worked at Virtuoso

Pros

The program manager truly cares about creating a great site. IT manager is a great manager to work. The CEO is passionate about the company.

Cons

A developer harasses and yells at other team members, which created a hostile work place. The leadership in the Development team was very poor and aggressive. The development teams have a high school click type of attitude, and are not very professional in their software development or release process.

I would take a close look at why a QA manger does not stay very long. If you challenge the Development director, you are fired.
    I would also look at the development team hostile attitude. There have been many incidents where one of the developer that is larger than other yell and bully his agenda on other team members.

Better than Average

I have been working at Virtuoso

Pros

Great people, love my co-workers
    fun product, great events
    Free parking
    flex hours if needed
    travel perks
    accepting and supportive environment

Cons

economy has really impacted the business...
    communication bottlenecks
    still too many silos

watch the bottom line!

Re-inventing themselves continuously

I worked at Virtuoso

Pros

If you have your heart set on working in the travel industry, there are plenty of worse places to be.

Cons

Much of your time will be spent on constant internal re-organizations and sudden priority shifts. Virtuoso proves you CAN run a business in a constant state of chaos, confusion and panic!

Good luck!

The good and bad of Virtuoso

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Virtuoso

Pros

There are a great many travel perks (both organized and free-form) and the company fully supports travel holidays. The people 'in the trenches' are genuinely friendly and (usually) quite intelligent and I really felt like upper management wanted employees to be happy to work there.

Cons

There were often very political reasons for movement around the company (capacity to do a job seemed secondary to who you know and who you've socialized with). There were some extreme instances of nepotism amongst the leadership that were generally well known amongst the rank and file. Some of the staff were given directives that could not be completed without funding, yet no funding was allowed.

The culture change required by Virtuoso staff when Maxsam came in was handled poorly. Most employees didn't understand agile, scrum, etc and resisted it purely due to confusion. You would have gotten far better buy-in if you'd taken a bit of time to explain why agile works and what can be gained by it.

Once A Proud Worker, Now Just A Pay Check Until I FInd A New Job

Current Employee - Sales/Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales/Support in New York, NY

I have been working at Virtuoso

Pros

Friendly co-workers, nice HR department
    You get to see how a severely dysfunctional company still stays above ground

Cons

I have seen so many lay offs over the years; this company is more in financial difficulties than it says it is. I used to be a loyal worker but they have done so many good people wrong that I am looking for a new job. Layed off the good hard-working people; kept the lazy ones just because of severe favoritism in management.
    You can't trust anyone here and HR is totally out of the loop on what is really going. You don't feel motivated when you see how they treat their employees and agents.
    They can't build a decent platform either; their website always has the same issues and nothing ever gets resolved. Many frustrated travel agents; few happy ones.
    The new website already has issues. They just can't get their technology together.

Stop the greed or give it up to real travel businesses like Signature (your competitor). Hire new management; especially in Technology. Build a reliable and up-to-date platform for your agents and suppliers or you will lose them all

Disposable

I have been working at Virtuoso

Pros

Loved the line staff. That's pretty much it.

Cons

Where do I begin? I worked my ass off for the company, making sure customers were happy, management was happy, and the company looked good. What did I get for my hard work? I was laid off, along with 80+ people. In one all-hands meeting, management said, "We have money, we will offer contractors a job." The next all-hands meeting: "Sorry, we had to let people go because of the economy." Yet management continued to hire new blood, and continued to spend lavishly on themselves. It became clear to me that the owners and upper management were like queen bees, getting fat of the sweat of the workers. I was once proud of Virtuoso. Not anymore.

Give your people a reason to feel they can trust you. Be loyal to the people who support your business.