Virtustream Reviews

1. Buckle Up!

Current Employee - CISO in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - CISO in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Virtustream is in hyper-growth mode. Our IAAS services, Cloud Orchestration software and Compliance Management Software suites are exceeding customers expectations and we are growing extreamly fast to deal with demand

Cons

"B" level folks need not apply.

Advice to Management

None. Management has the experience and capabilities to deal with our hyper-growth and business development strategy.

Start-up Culture in High Growth Industry

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a leader in a high growth area (cloud), with a focus on bringing Enterprise applications (such as SAP) to the cloud. It's a mix of very smart infrastructure engineers, software developers, and business / tech savvy leadership. The rapid growth opens up new opportunities to grow and take on new challenges. Results are rewarded. Everyone works hard and brings deep expertise.

Cons

Start-up culture. Not a lot of structured roles -- have to be willing to adapt to the high priority needs, driven by customer demand. This is great for some , but not for everyone. Folks that come from a large company culture have trouble adapting. Even management roles have hands-on work ... Can't be afraid to dig in and get your hand dirty.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great people and keep up the rapid growth in a hot industry.

3. Extremely fast paced environment, excellent technology, great/fun people, culture of innovation and ownership

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership, accountability, surrounded by smart people wrt all facets of business and technical disciplines, extraordinary personal/career growth opportunity, great cadence and pace between the Executives and staff

Cons

Do not apply if you are looking to coast, this is an extremely fast paced environment, and you will fall behind quickly if you are not a hard/smart worker

Advice to Management

Continue the innovation trend and fast action.

Exciting, Fast-paced, challenging place to work

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the main things that I enjoy about working at Virtustream is that we are on the cutting edge of cloud technologies and actually helping to shape the cloud industry. I’ve been in IT both deep technical work and general business for over 25 years, even owned my own company for almost 9 years of them. Like all things that are worthwhile, the work here is hard, fast-paced and challenging. I’ve learned more in the past 5 years at Virtustream than I learned in the previous 10 years. I get to work with extremely smart, motivated, hard-working people every day and we have a world class IaaS running workloads for some major enterprises and a cloud management software that is making waves in our industry.

Cons

Virtustream is a start-up company and that means hard, fast-paced work and the need to react quickly. You must be able to wear multiple hats and have the chops to shift out of your comfort zone and apply your intellect to areas that you may not have thought of approaching. If you like hard work, a challenge and moving quickly with a chance to stretch yourself professionally then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the focus on attracting and retaining the word class talent for which we’re known.

6. Rewarding experience working with extremely bright and motivated people

Current Employee - Legal in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Legal in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork and collaboration is highly valued. Very involved pro active and involved management team. You work hard but always feel it is appreciated and co-workers and management take the time to acknowledge your contribution and show appreciation. Great office culture working with people you genuinely like.

Cons

Challenging and fast paced work environment where you have to be smart, motivated and willing to work hard in order to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue on current path with respect to management of employees and office culture as the company continues to grow.

7. Fast paced environment with the ability for self-starters to make an impact!

Current Employee - Marketing in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall: Fast paced environment with the ability for self-starters to make an impact; leaders are open to new ideas. Team: Opportunity to collaborate with high energy team members who are passionate about their respective domains. Brand is solid and consistent in market. Work/Life balance: Company has a global community service program, multiple team-building events, ability to work from home. Career Growth: Company is growing quickly and attempts to promote from within. Bi-Annual review process offers good feedback on employee strengths & areas of improvement.

Cons

Fast paced environment that requires confidence and discipline - if you know your stuff you will ultimately thrive in this environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to ask for feedback and recognize the people in the trenches.

8. Great company and management to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time

Pros

When I was looking for a job, I really wanted to find a place where I would be happy going to work every day. Somewhere that would challenge me, but that would also provide a fun and exciting work environment. Virtustream is that place. What could be more exciting than the Cloud? Everyone works extremely hard to do their part and the management team and C-team do a very good job of rewarding their teams and making them feel appreciated. I work directly with the CEO, who is a great leader. He knows what it takes to drive a successful business, but doesn’t forget about the people who help to make it happen. It is amazing to be a part of a young venture-backed company that has been – and continues to be – so successful in a field full of so many big players. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is searching for a job!

Cons

With a company that is growing this fast, you should be prepared to give 100%+. Generally, employees are always available and connected (who isn’t these days?). There will be times that you may have to sacrifice some night and weekend time, but the management also sincerely values family time as well and encourages keeping a work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees as well as you do, and they will surely help you to make Virtustream the top Cloud provider!

Fast paced, high growth, exciting company

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started at Virtustream less than 2 years out of school as a financial analyst. I knew a lot about financial models and excel, but didn't know a thing about cloud computing or much else for that matter. The senior management at Virtustream took me under their wings, and taught me everything from the difference between SATA and SAS disc drives to how to raise capital to managing employees. Within my first few months at the firm, the CEO/CTO invited me over his house on a Saturday afternoon to spend an afternoon teaching me about cloud. Here I am, this young financial analyst with no knowledge of cloud computing getting a cloud 101 lesson from the CEO/CTO of the whole company. Management does a great job listening to their employees and helping them grow. After working at the firm for about a year, I told the Chairman/CEO that I wanted to have more customer facing experience. Next thing I knew he had me in a meeting with our largest customer at the time. What I have found at Virtustream is the more you put in the more you get out. I work very hard for Virtustream, and the Company works just as hard for me. If I were at a big company I would never get the senior management interface or responsibilities. At a small company I wouldn't have the opportunity to interface with Fortune 500 CFOs and top notch venture capital firms. Virtustream has the best of both worlds. We are young and fast enough to allow for fast personal growth, but have enough industry credibility and senior leadership to give you access to the best of the industry.

Cons

This is a venture growth firm, and with that don't expect the same things you would see at a 100,000 person firm. If you aren't willing to work hard and get your hands dirty, this probably isn't the right place for you. If you hate red tape and endless corporate policies, this is the firm for you, but if you don't like to get into the details then Virtustream may not be best for you.

Advice to Management

I have been really impressed with management so far. My only advice is as we continue to grow it is important we maintain the tight-knit environment that has helped make this company what it is today.

10. Few Good Men... Few Pennies Paid... Tons of Problems

Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Virtustream full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Virtustream has a very strong Infrastructure Team… for a team that is very understaffed these guys go above and beyond to make the big wigs their money (aka C-Level). Teleworking is a plus... Great Place to come in a scarf down some free knowledge... College grads take advantage of this opportunity as I did.

Cons

0 Work Life Balance and Promotions, does not pay at the market rates. It's only about who you know at Virtustream... scratch my back and I will give you a Board position to close a deal C-Levels, SVPs, VPs does not care about the operations staff.

Advice to Management

Wake up... it's no longer High School... speaking to your Team will be very beneficial Rodney Rogers and Frank Vella are bad for Virtustream business... verified by your partners and staff

11. Fast Lane... Crash & Burn

Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Virtustream full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All Technical Engineers are smart

Cons

Overworked with no room for growth... They will burn you out then hire someone else and do the same... Never promoting from within

Advice to Management

GrowUp. Take care of your people and promote internal growth... Keep you employees aware of the roadmap for the company

RSS Feed </> Embed