Virtustream

3.7

Virtustream Chairman & CEO Rodney J. Rogers
Rodney J. Rogers

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast paced environment with the ability for self-starters to make an impact!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall: Fast paced environment with the ability for self-starters to make an impact; leaders are open to new ideas.
    Team: Opportunity to collaborate with high energy team members who are passionate about their respective domains.
    Brand is solid and consistent in market.
    Work/Life balance: Company has a global community service program, multiple team-building events, ability to work from home.
    Career Growth: Company is growing quickly and attempts to promote from within. Bi-Annual review process offers good feedback on employee strengths & areas of improvement.

Cons

Fast paced environment that requires confidence and discipline - if you know your stuff you will ultimately thrive in this environment.

Continue to ask for feedback and recognize the people in the trenches.

Great company and management to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time

Pros

When I was looking for a job, I really wanted to find a place where I would be happy going to work every day. Somewhere that would challenge me, but that would also provide a fun and exciting work environment. Virtustream is that place. What could be more exciting than the Cloud? Everyone works extremely hard to do their part and the management team and C-team do a very good job of rewarding their teams and making them feel appreciated. I work directly with the CEO, who is a great leader. He knows what it takes to drive a successful business, but doesn’t forget about the people who help to make it happen. It is amazing to be a part of a young venture-backed company that has been – and continues to be – so successful in a field full of so many big players. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is searching for a job!

Cons

With a company that is growing this fast, you should be prepared to give 100%+. Generally, employees are always available and connected (who isn’t these days?). There will be times that you may have to sacrifice some night and weekend time, but the management also sincerely values family time as well and encourages keeping a work/life balance.

Keep treating your employees as well as you do, and they will surely help you to make Virtustream the top Cloud provider!

Fast paced, high growth, exciting company

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started at Virtustream less than 2 years out of school as a financial analyst. I knew a lot about financial models and excel, but didn't know a thing about cloud computing or much else for that matter. The senior management at Virtustream took me under their wings, and taught me everything from the difference between SATA and SAS disc drives to how to raise capital to managing employees.

Within my first few months at the firm, the CEO/CTO invited me over his house on a Saturday afternoon to spend an afternoon teaching me about cloud. Here I am, this young financial analyst with no knowledge of cloud computing getting a cloud 101 lesson from the CEO/CTO of the whole company.

Management does a great job listening to their employees and helping them grow. After working at the firm for about a year, I told the Chairman/CEO that I wanted to have more customer facing experience. Next thing I knew he had me in a meeting with our largest customer at the time.

What I have found at Virtustream is the more you put in the more you get out. I work very hard for Virtustream, and the Company works just as hard for me. If I were at a big company I would never get the senior management interface or responsibilities. At a small company I wouldn't have the opportunity to interface with Fortune 500 CFOs and top notch venture capital firms. Virtustream has the best of both worlds. We are young and fast enough to allow for fast personal growth, but have enough industry credibility and senior leadership to give you access to the best of the industry.

Cons

This is a venture growth firm, and with that don't expect the same things you would see at a 100,000 person firm. If you aren't willing to work hard and get your hands dirty, this probably isn't the right place for you. If you hate red tape and endless corporate policies, this is the firm for you, but if you don't like to get into the details then Virtustream may not be best for you.

I have been really impressed with management so far. My only advice is as we continue to grow it is important we maintain the tight-knit environment that has helped make this company what it is today.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Few Good Men... Few Pennies Paid... Tons of Problems

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Virtustream full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Virtustream has a very strong Infrastructure Team… for a team that is very understaffed these guys go above and beyond to make the big wigs their money (aka C-Level).

Teleworking is a plus...
    Great Place to come in a scarf down some free knowledge... College grads take advantage of this opportunity as I did.

Cons

0 Work Life Balance and Promotions, does not pay at the market rates.
    It's only about who you know at Virtustream... scratch my back and I will give you a Board position to close a deal
    C-Levels, SVPs, VPs does not care about the operations staff.

Wake up... it's no longer High School... speaking to your Team will be very beneficial
    Rodney Rogers and Frank Vella are bad for Virtustream business... verified by your partners and staff

Fast Lane... Crash & Burn

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Virtustream full-time for more than a year

Pros

All Technical Engineers are smart

Cons

Overworked with no room for growth... They will burn you out then hire someone else and do the same... Never promoting from within

GrowUp. Take care of your people and promote internal growth... Keep you employees aware of the roadmap for the company

20 yr industry vet new to Virtustream

Current Employee - Individual Contributor  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart, professional staff, aggressive growth, doubled in headcount from 2012 to 2013! Cutting edge technology, very strong outlook. You do have a voice and I've found everyone to be helpful. Opportunities are huge! Many new clients signed, many more in the pipeline.

Cons

Very aggressive growth is a double edged sword. There are times you will need to put in extra hours to support the growth. You will be asked to do collateral duties. These things are negatives to some and exciting to others. I'm entrepenurial in thought. I've helped companies grow by over $100M in a few years and go public. Understand this is the type of company Virtustream is or you might have a rude awakening.

Management is aware of challenges we've faced in the past and what we are experiencing presently. No perfect job, company or person/employee. Keep doiing what you are doing, can't please them all. Don't settle on talent, better to have a smart thinker and good cultural fit than a strong tech fit who doesn't fit the culture.

Great company

Current Employee - Exec  in  Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Exec in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great people

Cons

Driven by revenue numbers at all costs.

Focus on culture

Looks good from the outside only

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Virtustream

Pros

Very talented technical staff, access to latest cloud technologies, opportunity for growth (if you fit the clique), dynamic pace, global reach

Cons

Executives are clueless about how to treat employees. Chairman/CEO rules with an iron fist - agree with him or get out of his way. No increases since company started in 2009 and 401k match eliminated because of budget problems - although you can't tell they have budget issues by the way they spend money on themselves. Lots of turnover.

Your people are what makes your company and they are sick of your lies. Learn to respect the contribution they make to your fat wallets.

Horrible you should not even look twice!

Former Employee - Information Technology Department  in  Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Information Technology Department in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Virtustream

Pros

With virtustream you would be garantee a reasonable pay

Cons

benefits sucks
    company dont know its true direction
    every VP AND President is only concern about irrelevant things like riding around in a limo and ordering expensive food.
    Top earners has no sense of business acumen!
    Office politics,
    The company is operating in a forever loss!
    No one never knows what they are doing
    You will never know when you are going to get the pink slip!

Concentrate on generating "actual" revenues, instead of forever "cooking" over inflating the figures!
    Spends wayy too much money

Worked for Virtustream? Contribute to the Community!