Virtustream

Be The First To
Add Photos

Virtustream Chairman & CEO Rodney J. Rogers

Rodney J. Rogers

High energy/high performance work place and workforce

Atlanta, GA

ProsHigh energy/high performance work place and workforce - Not for the faint of heart and an entrepreneurial spirit definitely a plus

Collaborative team - Incredibly smart people ridiculously willing to share their knowledge to help you develop your own skills and domain knowledge

Visible brand - Generating some serious buzz in the industry

Strong leaders - Business acuity, technical chops and enough gray hair to lead in a very aggressive market

Opportunity for advancement – Very little politics and bureaucracy. Consistently good work is recognized and rewarded

Salary and benefits very competitive. Some added benefits: Business casual dress (in offices), wellness program and telecommuting options (for some roles)

ConsCommunication from top-level management is consistent and timely – middle management information flow could use improvement so plan to be proactive in your communications

Work life balance can be tough if your definition of it is strictly from 9-5. If this is not your definition, it does actually balance - you just need to be reasonably flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a great team behind you working to make your visions realities – please keep up your efforts to open even more feedback loops

Corporate politics at its best.

Pros*. Great co workers
    * Very smart co workers
    * IaaS is a very innovative product

Cons* The new CIO is creating a totalitarian dictatorship based on the good old boy standards. If you dont fit those standards, watch out!
    * Recognition is limited to the CIO's chosen few
    * CIO is very untrustworthy, condescending and unprofessional - almost to the point of being blatantly rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of potential but your new CIO is not the man to lead the charge. You need to reevaluate your new CIO and the big corporate dog-eat-dog environment he is creating based on his limited knowledge of the product. He is not innovative leader that he portrays himself to be and that will be to the company's detriment.

If you are looking for a small business culture that promotes trust and job satisfaction: unfortunately, this is not the place.

Fast Lane... Crash & Burn

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsAll Technical Engineers are smart

ConsOverworked with no room for growth... They will burn you out then hire someone else and do the same... Never promoting from within

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowUp. Take care of your people and promote internal growth... Keep you employees aware of the roadmap for the company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Few Good Men... Few Pennies Paid... Tons of Problems

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsVirtustream has a very strong Infrastructure Team… for a team that is very understaffed these guys go above and beyond to make the big wigs their money (aka C-Level).

Teleworking is a plus...
    Great Place to come in a scarf down some free knowledge... College grads take advantage of this opportunity as I did.

Cons0 Work Life Balance and Promotions, does not pay at the market rates.
    It's only about who you know at Virtustream... scratch my back and I will give you a Board position to close a deal
    C-Levels, SVPs, VPs does not care about the operations staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up... it's no longer High School... speaking to your Team will be very beneficial
    Rodney Rogers and Frank Vella are bad for Virtustream business... verified by your partners and staff

Field management is not experienced in high tech sales - embarrassing.

Sales (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsWide open sales field. Smart engineers and professional services people. Great marketing people.

ConsNo on-boarding beyond HR benefits. Nasty VP HR. Weak field technology. No experience with CRM or prospecting. Old style smarmy relationship selling. Managers have quotas and take the few leads that come in. CRM system is empty and reps key in deal by deal as they work them. Turnover is at a frightening pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire high-tech sales management. Some field management is like working with Willie Loman in Death of a Salesman. Insisted I bring him in to my highest contacts but was an embarrassment and didn't want to burn the contact.

Executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsMany employees are very nice

ConsOverworked and under paid. C level staff is out of touch and look down upon employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, they are your eyes and ears. Treat people with respect and pay people what they are worth.

20 yr industry vet new to Virtustream

Individual Contributor (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsSmart, professional staff, aggressive growth, doubled in headcount from 2012 to 2013! Cutting edge technology, very strong outlook. You do have a voice and I've found everyone to be helpful. Opportunities are huge! Many new clients signed, many more in the pipeline.

ConsVery aggressive growth is a double edged sword. There are times you will need to put in extra hours to support the growth. You will be asked to do collateral duties. These things are negatives to some and exciting to others. I'm entrepenurial in thought. I've helped companies grow by over $100M in a few years and go public. Understand this is the type of company Virtustream is or you might have a rude awakening.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is aware of challenges we've faced in the past and what we are experiencing presently. No perfect job, company or person/employee. Keep doiing what you are doing, can't please them all. Don't settle on talent, better to have a smart thinker and good cultural fit than a strong tech fit who doesn't fit the culture.

Great company

Exec (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsFlexible work schedule, great people

ConsDriven by revenue numbers at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on culture

Our leadership has an open door policy and is open to feedback regardless of who it comes from.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsOpportunity to learn about entrepreneurship at its finest. I was encouraged to further my career by way of certification by my supervisor almost immediately when I started. People development and growth are key qualities of our leadership.

ConsMy commute into the office vs. leaving the office.

My commute is over an hour in the evening. With the company being young, all of the processes aren't set just yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop your people and continue to grow the company. Also continue take your open door policy serious as you have, it makes the employees feel every bit as important as the leadership and allows all of us to feel like we are value creators and contributors to success of the company.

Looks good from the outside only

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsVery talented technical staff, access to latest cloud technologies, opportunity for growth (if you fit the clique), dynamic pace, global reach

ConsExecutives are clueless about how to treat employees. Chairman/CEO rules with an iron fist - agree with him or get out of his way. No increases since company started in 2009 and 401k match eliminated because of budget problems - although you can't tell they have budget issues by the way they spend money on themselves. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are what makes your company and they are sick of your lies. Learn to respect the contribution they make to your fat wallets.

Worked for Virtustream? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Virtustream reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Virtustream CEO Rodney J. Rogers. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Virtustream employees.