Virtustream

Virtustream Chairman & CEO Rodney J. Rogers
Rodney J. Rogers

Start-up Culture in High Growth Industry

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is a leader in a high growth area (cloud), with a focus on bringing Enterprise applications (such as SAP) to the cloud. It's a mix of very smart infrastructure engineers, software developers, and business / tech savvy leadership. The rapid growth opens up new opportunities to grow and take on new challenges. Results are rewarded. Everyone works hard and brings deep expertise.

Cons

Start-up culture. Not a lot of structured roles -- have to be willing to adapt to the high priority needs, driven by customer demand. This is great for some , but not for everyone. Folks that come from a large company culture have trouble adapting. Even management roles have hands-on work ... Can't be afraid to dig in and get your hand dirty.

Keep hiring great people and keep up the rapid growth in a hot industry.

Most rewarding professional experience

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely passionate and dedicated executive team. By far definitely the smartest people I have ever worked with. Its usually very difficult to find people that have a very strong business background and deep technology knowledge. At Virtustream you find these people throughout the organization and this begins with the top of company. Working with the CEO is better than any MBA program on the market.

Cons

The pace is fast and this is not an organization where you can coast along. Everyone operates at a high level and is expected to wear multiple hats at any given time.

Keep up the great work. Continue to bring on people at the same caliber

Extremely fast paced environment, excellent technology, great/fun people, culture of innovation and ownership

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership, accountability, surrounded by smart people wrt all facets of business and technical disciplines, extraordinary personal/career growth opportunity, great cadence and pace between the Executives and staff

Cons

Do not apply if you are looking to coast, this is an extremely fast paced environment, and you will fall behind quickly if you are not a hard/smart worker

Continue the innovation trend and fast action.

Exciting, Fast-paced, challenging place to work

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the main things that I enjoy about working at Virtustream is that we are on the cutting edge of cloud technologies and actually helping to shape the cloud industry. I’ve been in IT both deep technical work and general business for over 25 years, even owned my own company for almost 9 years of them. Like all things that are worthwhile, the work here is hard, fast-paced and challenging. I’ve learned more in the past 5 years at Virtustream than I learned in the previous 10 years. I get to work with extremely smart, motivated, hard-working people every day and we have a world class IaaS running workloads for some major enterprises and a cloud management software that is making waves in our industry.

Cons

Virtustream is a start-up company and that means hard, fast-paced work and the need to react quickly. You must be able to wear multiple hats and have the chops to shift out of your comfort zone and apply your intellect to areas that you may not have thought of approaching. If you like hard work, a challenge and moving quickly with a chance to stretch yourself professionally then this is the place for you.

Keep up the focus on attracting and retaining the word class talent for which we’re known.

Rewarding experience working with extremely bright and motivated people

Current Employee - Legal in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Legal in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork and collaboration is highly valued. Very involved pro active and involved management team. You work hard but always feel it is appreciated and co-workers and management take the time to acknowledge your contribution and show appreciation. Great office culture working with people you genuinely like.

Cons

Challenging and fast paced work environment where you have to be smart, motivated and willing to work hard in order to succeed.

Continue on current path with respect to management of employees and office culture as the company continues to grow.

An exciting, challenging, and fun ride!

Current Employee - Training and Documentation Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Training and Documentation Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been with Virtustream for almost 5 years. In that time I haven't had a week where I simply "did my job" because everyone wears multiple hats at Virtustream in order to support our customers (always first), our team members, our company, and our growth.

Due to our tremendous growth, my direct team has quadrupled in size over the last 4 years and is now distributed across 3 countries. At first I was concerned that we would lose the camaraderie and "team" feel that we had with our small group, but it hasn't happened. I can't say exactly why - except that we stay in constant contact and everyone adjusts their workdays when it's necessary to collaborate directly on a project.

Accessibility to every individual in the company. I've worked at companies where I wasn't comfortable directly contacting a VP or an employee that wasn't a member of my division. There isn't a chain of communication that must be followed at Virtustream. If you need an answer or help from someone across the country or across departments, they are available and willing to help.

If you are more comfortable in a structured position where your "job" is clearly defined, Virtustream may not be the place for you. If you are comfortable stepping into the unknown occasionally to help make things happen, then Virtustream would be a good fit for you.

Cons

The pace is occasionally overwhelming. The industry changes daily, and Virtustream changes right along with it. I have had to spend some extra time and effort keeping up to speed with the changes in the industry, but I expect this is true of any company in the cloud industry today.

Do whatever is necessary to maintain the company culture during growth periods.

Virtustream is a great place to work!

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Virtustream is a dynamic, fast-paced environment. At this point in it's trajectory the company is winning big deals at a rapid pace, meaning the opportunists to shine are many. If you are looking to add a hi-growth venture-backed technology company to your resume then take a look a Virtustream. Working here can be very rewarding, you'll achieve some things you might not have believed possible and the people you'll get to work with are top notch. The company is attracting top talent which means great rolodex connections for the rest of your career.

Cons

Winning big deals means big workload. Venture-backed tech companies may sound glamorous but if you're not ready to work, and work hard, this isn't the environment for you. There is no 9 to 5, many weeks there isn't a Monday to Friday.

Management is doing it right. They are investing in talent and driving the company forward. Keep doing what you are doing.

Fast paced environment with the ability for self-starters to make an impact!

Current Employee - Marketing in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall: Fast paced environment with the ability for self-starters to make an impact; leaders are open to new ideas.
    Team: Opportunity to collaborate with high energy team members who are passionate about their respective domains.
    Brand is solid and consistent in market.
    Work/Life balance: Company has a global community service program, multiple team-building events, ability to work from home.
    Career Growth: Company is growing quickly and attempts to promote from within. Bi-Annual review process offers good feedback on employee strengths & areas of improvement.

Cons

Fast paced environment that requires confidence and discipline - if you know your stuff you will ultimately thrive in this environment.

Continue to ask for feedback and recognize the people in the trenches.

Great company and management to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time

Pros

When I was looking for a job, I really wanted to find a place where I would be happy going to work every day. Somewhere that would challenge me, but that would also provide a fun and exciting work environment. Virtustream is that place. What could be more exciting than the Cloud? Everyone works extremely hard to do their part and the management team and C-team do a very good job of rewarding their teams and making them feel appreciated. I work directly with the CEO, who is a great leader. He knows what it takes to drive a successful business, but doesn’t forget about the people who help to make it happen. It is amazing to be a part of a young venture-backed company that has been – and continues to be – so successful in a field full of so many big players. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is searching for a job!

Cons

With a company that is growing this fast, you should be prepared to give 100%+. Generally, employees are always available and connected (who isn’t these days?). There will be times that you may have to sacrifice some night and weekend time, but the management also sincerely values family time as well and encourages keeping a work/life balance.

Keep treating your employees as well as you do, and they will surely help you to make Virtustream the top Cloud provider!

Fast paced, high growth, exciting company

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Virtustream full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started at Virtustream less than 2 years out of school as a financial analyst. I knew a lot about financial models and excel, but didn't know a thing about cloud computing or much else for that matter. The senior management at Virtustream took me under their wings, and taught me everything from the difference between SATA and SAS disc drives to how to raise capital to managing employees.

Within my first few months at the firm, the CEO/CTO invited me over his house on a Saturday afternoon to spend an afternoon teaching me about cloud. Here I am, this young financial analyst with no knowledge of cloud computing getting a cloud 101 lesson from the CEO/CTO of the whole company.

Management does a great job listening to their employees and helping them grow. After working at the firm for about a year, I told the Chairman/CEO that I wanted to have more customer facing experience. Next thing I knew he had me in a meeting with our largest customer at the time.

What I have found at Virtustream is the more you put in the more you get out. I work very hard for Virtustream, and the Company works just as hard for me. If I were at a big company I would never get the senior management interface or responsibilities. At a small company I wouldn't have the opportunity to interface with Fortune 500 CFOs and top notch venture capital firms. Virtustream has the best of both worlds. We are young and fast enough to allow for fast personal growth, but have enough industry credibility and senior leadership to give you access to the best of the industry.

Cons

This is a venture growth firm, and with that don't expect the same things you would see at a 100,000 person firm. If you aren't willing to work hard and get your hands dirty, this probably isn't the right place for you. If you hate red tape and endless corporate policies, this is the firm for you, but if you don't like to get into the details then Virtustream may not be best for you.

I have been really impressed with management so far. My only advice is as we continue to grow it is important we maintain the tight-knit environment that has helped make this company what it is today.