Visa Inc.

Updated July 4, 2014
Updated July 4, 2014

Visa Inc. CEO Charles W. Scharf
Charles W. Scharf

Pros
  • Compensation is quite good, with a fairly decent work life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Good benefits, great brand name to trade on for your next job (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Mostly very mediocre people - especially middle / senior management (in 48 reviews)

• No diversity and hardly management believe in work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Network Technician

Former Employee - Network Technician  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Network Technician in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

My teammates are really knowledgeable and are always willing to help. great benefits. Allays willing to train you and have a 100% tuition reimbursement. Great PTO benefits. Payroll is always accurate.

Cons

Too Political, most of the time you will not get interviewed for other positions unless you know someone in the department. Lots of micromanagement within the department that doesn’t get any better.

They should have a better way to approach subordinates and provide more recognition the ones truly doing their job. Senior management should Implement a change to the micromanagement situation.

Great company, great projects!

Former Employee - Senior Business Leader  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Business Leader in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Visa pays extremely well if you go after what you want. Also, there are extremely qualified employees for the work that needs to be done. The projects are very interesting and time to market.

Cons

There is absolutely no work life balance. One of the pros is the projects are very interesting, however, since they are time to market, and Visa works with many banks, the amount of work can really take a lot out of a person physically and mentally. The expectation is get it done no matter what it takes.

Great salary and benefits

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Great Salary, benefits. Each employee in my team is free to chose the trainings they wish to take. Work/life balance is also good.

Cons

The company is still top heavy. Lots of management layers. Seems like promotions do not come easy.

Looks like flattening the 'top heavy' part of the organization is under progress - which is good.
    Give more promotions to people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My Professional Journey at Visa

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

As of this review, I have worked at Visa Inc for ~7 years and my experience at the company has been very positive on the whole. Now don't think that I have not faced my share of challenges. I have. But I managed to work through each of these with support provided by my management team. For this support, I will always be grateful and the fact that this support was provided is a huge positive for the company. But beyond this, I have been provided many opportunities for professional growth and development and I have taken advantage of each of these. These opportunities came both in the form of the job itself, gaining mastery of mature and complex business processes, and in the form of a significant educational benefit that exceeds $5K a year. With this educational benefit I have earned three professional certifications, two from Stanford University's Center for Professional Development and the third from the ScrumAlliance. Through my had work and commitment, combined with the opportunities afforded to me, I have professionally progressed within the Visa Inc. and have been given the further opportunity of working in an entirely new role. So the journey continues...

Cons

I joined Visa Inc prior to the IPO when technically it was a privately held company, Inovant. As a result I have been through numerous layoffs, restructurings, and senior and executive management changes. All in all significant turmoil. The unfortunate effect of these changes is a culture of fear within the company. For example, more than once staff with whom I have been working just disappears due to a layoff. How did I find out? Through a email bounce back alerting me that the staff was no longer in the company address book. No notice, no goodbyes, just gone. If this type of occurrence was infrequent, that would be one scenario. Unfortunately it is frequent enough to result in the culture of fear mentioned previously.

Oh and one other thing. You may recall my mention of 'mastery of mature and complex business processes' above. Well these processes also have significant overhead associated with them and seem to get worse with each senior and executive management change.

Acknowledge and address the culture of fear. Continue efforts to improve staff relationships. Retain mature business processes but streamline these to the extent possible. Continue efforts to innovate and grow the company to avoid 'who moved my cheese' scenario(s).

Dearth of Leadership leads to Disorder

Current Employee - Director, Product Management  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Denver, CO

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Nice Title, Good Salary

Cons

Who's driving the bus? The folks in Sr. Management positions in my division are not leaders. The folks in middle Management who are extremely capable, strategic leaders with staff management/staff development expertise are kept from staff leadership roles. There is little inter-departmental communication. The silo-like environment is remarkable. The teflon-coating each area sports ensures that we spend most time in a reactive, "crisis-junkie" environment, rather than planning where we want to be in 5 years and working together to build that reality. Very depressing to be in a company with so little cooperation and communication. Tough. Not used to "coasting" and didn't realize that's what's expected here. "Just play along."

We love Charlie's talk, especially his theory on how leaders need to lead ... but unless Sr. Management is held accountable to lead the way Charlie suggests ... we will not see the change we so earnestly need.

Very organized chaos

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Very friendly workplace, bonus, no one looking over your shoulder

Cons

You can get lost in the shuffle if you are not familiar with the industry, lack of training, everyone so busy; can't find time to foster new talent

Training programs for new employees

Consultant - SQL Server Database Enginner

Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

Training for contractors
    Time and 1/2 for overtime hours

Cons

Contracts are limited in length
    Full time positions are often offered 1 level below the contracted position
    Lots of reorgs

Hire your contractors to full time at the same rate they contracted at or you will have trouble keeping talent.

A nightmare experience as a contractor

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

I cannot think of any

Cons

I worked at Visa as a contractor in Highlands Ranch Colorado. I was assigned to one single permanent employee who was so mean and awful to me. I became physically ill. I needed to ask questions but she was very nasty to me every time I needed to ask her something. I sat away from her area so none of the permanent people could hear or see her behavior towards me. I would never go back. I have never worked with such a nasty person ever. I was treated like a non human being

decent place to work

Current Employee - Associate Business Analyst  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Business Analyst in Denver, CO

Pros

very smart people to work with

Cons

not much room for advancement

Great great learning experience

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

In 5 years I got exposure to big projects using C, C++, Java, C#. So personally very rewarding.

Visa encourages individuals to learn more by organizing various classes in the company, providing various online learning resources and lastly you can go to any outside university and take classes there.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive.
    There is absolutely no personal life balance :-( But I guess this is how it is in most companies now with the plunging economy.

Worked for Visa Inc.? Contribute to the Community!