Visa Inc. Reviews

1. Technical writer

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc.

Pros

Good environment to work in.

Cons

Not really any cons for the company.

Advice to Management

Great job

IT Project Manager at VISA

Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc.

Pros

Good pay for contractors. Plenty of work

Cons

Uncertainty for future. Management changes constantly. Terrible communication. Always changing procedures with little direction. This place is a sweat shop for contractors. There is no loyalty for good contractors. They are all about recycling contractors no matter how good they are. Horribly inefficient in general.

Advice to Management

Empower your middle managers to make decisions. Cut the politics and processes to enable employees to be productive and efficient. Hire more people to balance the ridiculous work load.

USED TO BE a great place to work.

Former Employee - Director in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits. Most of the people are great to work with.

Cons

Terrible work hours. There is no concept of work/life balance. Absolutely NO respect from senior and executive management. Very little opportunity for career growth. As was stated before, it used to be a great place to work. Changes in senior and executive management have ruined this company. Management says that it values its employees - I say ask around. You will get a better view of what really happens by asking the people that live it day after day. Many GREAT people are leaving Visa. Ask yourself why?

5. visa is a great place to work

Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Denver, CO
    Current Contractor - Quality Assurance in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

people there work hard, good and stable

Cons

use visa system, so difficult for you to find a new job

Leadership Void

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits, work and life balance

Cons

Too many managers who have been promoted from individual contributors who have no idea how to lead their staff. Some admit they are just coasting until their sweet retirement plan kicks in.

Advice to Management

Clean house of the "coasters" and egomaniacs - don't put them in charge of resolving issues raised in employees surveys - they are the issue!!!!

Network Technician

Former Employee - Network Technician in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Network Technician in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My teammates are really knowledgeable and are always willing to help. great benefits. Allays willing to train you and have a 100% tuition reimbursement. Great PTO benefits. Payroll is always accurate.

Cons

Too Political, most of the time you will not get interviewed for other positions unless you know someone in the department. Lots of micromanagement within the department that doesn’t get any better.

Advice to Management

They should have a better way to approach subordinates and provide more recognition the ones truly doing their job. Senior management should Implement a change to the micromanagement situation.

8. Great company, great projects!

Former Employee - Senior Business Leader in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Business Leader in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Visa pays extremely well if you go after what you want. Also, there are extremely qualified employees for the work that needs to be done. The projects are very interesting and time to market.

Cons

There is absolutely no work life balance. One of the pros is the projects are very interesting, however, since they are time to market, and Visa works with many banks, the amount of work can really take a lot out of a person physically and mentally. The expectation is get it done no matter what it takes.

Great salary and benefits

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Salary, benefits. Each employee in my team is free to chose the trainings they wish to take. Work/life balance is also good.

Cons

The company is still top heavy. Lots of management layers. Seems like promotions do not come easy.

Advice to Management

Looks like flattening the 'top heavy' part of the organization is under progress - which is good.
    Give more promotions to people.

My Professional Journey at Visa

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As of this review, I have worked at Visa Inc for ~7 years and my experience at the company has been very positive on the whole. Now don't think that I have not faced my share of challenges. I have. But I managed to work through each of these with support provided by my management team. For this support, I will always be grateful and the fact that this support was provided is a huge positive for the company. But beyond this, I have been provided many opportunities for professional growth and development and I have taken advantage of each of these. These opportunities came both in the form of the job itself, gaining mastery of mature and complex business processes, and in the form of a significant educational benefit that exceeds $5K a year. With this educational benefit I have earned three professional certifications, two from Stanford University's Center for Professional Development and the third from the ScrumAlliance. Through my had work and commitment, combined with the opportunities afforded to me, I have professionally progressed within the Visa Inc. and have been given the further opportunity of working in an entirely new role. So the journey continues...

Cons

I joined Visa Inc prior to the IPO when technically it was a privately held company, Inovant. As a result I have been through numerous layoffs, restructurings, and senior and executive management changes. All in all significant turmoil. The unfortunate effect of these changes is a culture of fear within the company. For example, more than once staff with whom I have been working just disappears due to a layoff. How did I find out? Through a email bounce back alerting me that the staff was no longer in the company address book. No notice, no goodbyes, just gone. If this type of occurrence was infrequent, that would be one scenario. Unfortunately it is frequent enough to result in the culture of fear mentioned previously.

Oh and one other thing. You may recall my mention of 'mastery of mature and complex business processes' above. Well these processes also have significant overhead associated with them and seem to get worse with each senior and executive management change.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge and address the culture of fear. Continue efforts to improve staff relationships. Retain mature business processes but streamline these to the extent possible. Continue efforts to innovate and grow the company to avoid 'who moved my cheese' scenario(s).

Dearth of Leadership leads to Disorder

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Nice Title, Good Salary

Cons

Who's driving the bus? The folks in Sr. Management positions in my division are not leaders. The folks in middle Management who are extremely capable, strategic leaders with staff management/staff development expertise are kept from staff leadership roles. There is little inter-departmental communication. The silo-like environment is remarkable. The teflon-coating each area sports ensures that we spend most time in a reactive, "crisis-junkie" environment, rather than planning where we want to be in 5 years and working together to build that reality. Very depressing to be in a company with so little cooperation and communication. Tough. Not used to "coasting" and didn't realize that's what's expected here. "Just play along."

Advice to Management

We love Charlie's talk, especially his theory on how leaders need to lead ... but unless Sr. Management is held accountable to lead the way Charlie suggests ... we will not see the change we so earnestly need.