Visa Inc. Reviews

Reset
2.6
Visa Inc. CEO Charles W. Scharf
Charles W. Scharf

Pros
  • Can achieve work/life balance (can be at a cost) (in 54 reviews)

• Good benefits, great brand name to trade on for your next job (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance may cost you your job in the next re-org or limit your annual rating (in 25 reviews)

• The Board should truly look into the competencies of the senior management (especially in Human Resources) (in 50 reviews)

"Was once a wonderful company to be part of"

Current Employee - Vice President in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

World class brand, best company in its industry by far, doing good for people in emerging economies. Good people, decent salaries, good benefits. New CEO and President are trying hard to focus and inspire the company and making some progress. Depending upon what part of the company you're in, there is interesting and innovative work to be had. Glad to see focus on merchants and their needs.

Cons

Visa has lost its compassion for staff, especially those with experience and years of service, in its rush to be "cool" for new college grads and Silicon Valley kids. Diversity in the Technology organization is a joke. In the year he's been here, every single new hire the EVP of Tech has done at VP/SVP has been an Indian male. Most of the new SD's as well. The percentage of women in Tech at VP/SVP level is single digits and falling. If you're an Indian man, you're golden. If you're anything else and want more than an entry level job, consider a different place.

Advice to Management

Don't abandon the experienced and senior staff that got you here -- they built this place. Make a serious commitment to diversity and keep it.

Visa Inc. Response

Feb 25, 2015 – agency

Thanks so much for your feedback. Diversity at Visa is always a priority across all levels and departments. We continue to focus on making great strides in diversity year after year.

Everywhere you might want to be

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

Great company overall for benefits, perks, learning potential and overall good people. There are some very... very knowledgeable people who can teach you sooo much and are willing to! mgmt. is trying very hard to change the culture and provide more 'employer of choice' perks, parties, shuttles, etc... which make it competitive with other like companies.

Cons

The major CON is managers who instill fear (that have wrap sheets in HR a mile long to begin with) have the power! how these people get promoted in the first place is a mystery to many. The culture at Visa is definitely changing. Some for the good, some for the bad. The new culture is all about young, college (top tier school) grads and interns. It is always a good idea to get new 'blood' with a different way of thinking in.. but.. the way its being done is at the expense of a lot of the 'seasoned employees' with all the knowledge who need to train the influx of the younger crowd. It is great to see the young, bright employees filling the halls. unfortunately, So many talented, Visa educated folks are flying the coop. Many of the new hires only want to stay a couple of years I hear... you might not appreciate your dedicated employees now.. but you might want them back later.

Advice to Management

Read all of the comments here .. I mean all. there is a definite theme I noticed with many 'like' complaints. it is very true about mgrs. that instill fear , HR is soo unfair and a joke and the company is becoming a majority of males of a certain race. just get in an elevator on any floor... any bldg... and look around you. Oh, and the work from home thing... I think it should be explained why some folks in the same dept. are allowed to do it, but others are not. it is one of the most unfair practices I have seen happen here.

company is imploding and fast

Current Employee - Senior Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. (More than 5 years)

Pros

the people are great (not executive management). very talented and hard working group of individuals

Cons

executive management is arrogant and they only look out for themselves. compensate them well but leave the worker bees behind--the same workers who makes the products and who makes them look good. you have a CEO who makes employees who ask questions at employee meetings feel incompetent. investment priorities are in the wrong places...a building that was just recently renovated and still being paid for is being renovated yet again. You have a dysfunctional technology leadership, probably the 2nd most arrogant just below the CEO, who for the life of him doesn't want to hire anyone else other than male southeast indians. this is a company who promotes diversity, claims diversity as a priority, but it's all lip service.

Advice to Management

practice what you preach. stop trying to be "hip". stop following the culture of the valley and be an innovator for once and lead

Lack of Diversity in Upper Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are really smart and the clients make coming to work exciting. Every day is a challenge. Lots of knowledge and history.

Cons

The lack of opportunities to grow and diversity in Upper management. When I look at upper management and only see two kinds of faces, it is discouraging. Why stay with a company for 20 years if there are no opportunities? The best person should always get the job . . Always. No one is entitled to anything. But, what I am seeing at Visa is unreal.

Advice to Management

If you are only going to hire certain types for upper management positions, can the rest of us be allowed to work from home? Or get some other perk?

Good brand, good model, not a great employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The business model is rock solid and it will likely continue to grow for years to come. Pay is also quite good.

Cons

Very challenging work culture, with lots of people there seemingly just to pull a pay check. Lots of red tape combined with an unwillingness to even respond to email unless you outrank them. While it's a great place to ride out the tail end of your career, not a good place to build on and wouldn't recommend to anyone getting started or early in their career.

Poor Management

Current Employee - California in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - California in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc.

Pros

Business model is great. There are some truly talented people working at the company. There is a culture of experimentation and plenty of money to support the experiments. Management needs to support the staff.

Cons

The senior management is not effective at understanding the way the company must conduct itself. Nor are they good at communicating to the staff, particularly in the technology area. There has been an enormous emphasis on hiring Indian students fresh out of school, almost the exclusion of all else. And there seems to be very little interest in promoting anyone with gray hair.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be the smartest person in the room and communicate goals and objectives. Let the staff experts figure out how to meet the goals and objectives. Start valuing the people that got the company where it is today.

They only pay li service to innovation

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the main reasons to work at Visa is that it is a "safe" employer. They never get rid of anyone. Even if you are underperforming as an individual contributor, the bonuses and compensation are not really tied to your performance because everyone basically gets an "average". Also, there are plenty of reasons not to get something done. You can always point at another department and say "I couldn't finish my thing because I was blocked by someone over in ...". If you keep your head down, don't make any noise but show up for work and meetings, you will continue to draw a paycheck for as long as you want.

Cons

But if you want to innovate, don't believe anything they say about it. We've been told for over a year to change our methodology to Agile. The result? The groups who are successful at it (especially in my org under Loyalty) were buried UNDER another team that is waterfall and will remain so... while folks that were taking pot-shots at us got moved up. The majority of our work is done by BPO outsourcing but none of our vendors are effective. We have roughly a 1:4 ratio of FTE to BPO in my org. It takes one FTE to lead a team of 4 BPO and the BPO doesn't get the work done. So we are paying 5 people to do the work of 1 FTE. Why do we keep doing it? Because the executives with the biggest budgets get the biggest bonuses. Adopting new technologies is a sure path to corporate death. It is a company full of seagull architects who "swoop down, poop on everything and fly away". The company has armies of architects who aren't responsible for delivering value but if they approve something they feel they own it. So they say "no" in an effort to keep the amount of work they have to do at a minimum. This is plainly clear in their last employee survey which pointed out that they #1 challenge to their employees was getting work done. As soon as that was announced, the security team launched a pilot to remove admin rights from developers laptops so that they need to ask approval to do things such as look at environment variables, check their system load or profile their machine's performance. How insane is that?!?!?!? I have worked at Visa for 4 years and as of this week finally reached my limit. I am on my way out and 4 top engineers I work with have already asked me to try to find a place where they can follow.

Advice to Management

Your integrity is at question, technology managers. If you say one thing but don't stand by your decision, or if you let your staff go a different direction... that means that nobody knows what to do. When you lose people, just remember that you are either set up to lose the best or lost the worst in your teams. The best and worst can't exist together. So... find ways to support your top people rather than entertain the masses of ne'er to wells. Identify your top talent and find what they need to be successful and then act on that. Remember the Steve Jobs quote. Don't hire smart people so that you can tell them what to do. Hire smart people so that they can tell YOU what to do.

Lots of change, little direction

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

Great brand, solid distribution model. Opportunities exist to move Pursue different roles inside company.

Cons

Arrogant executive management team that treats employees with disdain. Lack of diversity in management team- especially women.

Advice to Management

Respect the institutional knowledge inside the company. Don't try so hard to be Google. Be true to who we are- who we are is pretty amazing.

Director

Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great but diminishing benefits. Experienced co-workers. Interesting work. Attempts are being made to make things cool for the millinials (pool tables, limited free food).

Cons

Highly toxic environment in the Technology area. Anyone with self-respect would leave (as many are). Technology EVP is a googler wannabe not realizing that he is not a Larry Page or a Sergey Brin. Technology EVP is unable to connect with anyone other than his followers on social media and direct reports that he has hired. Leadership style is abusive. Attempts to simplify process have had unintended consequences of inaccurately reporting capitalized projects.

Advice to Management

Ensure Executive Management treats employees with dignity and respect. Investigate why there are so many comments on Glassdoor regarding technology EVP's questionable behavior. Manage the reported HR violations in some other way than putting your head in the sand.

Business Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Visa Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Sharp staff and senior management team Very tech savvy for a financial services firm (vs. a large comm'l bank) Generally respectful of contract staff

Cons

Short sighted hiring practices relative to retention/conversion of contract staff Pay-related issues specific to overtime

Advice to Management

The best hire isn't always necessarily those from within Visa - external perspectives would sometimes be a better alternative. Moreover, Visa would cease to function were it not for its contingent contract staff - a fact which should be considered by Visa hiring managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed