Visa Inc.

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015

Visa Inc. CEO Charles W. Scharf
Charles W. Scharf

Pros
  • Visa has a reasonable work/life balance depending on geographic location (in 54 reviews)

• Good pay (although for many years, this was not the case) and good benefits (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance may cost you your job in the next re-org or limit your annual rating (in 25 reviews)

• Mostly very mediocre people - especially middle / senior management (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

"Was once a wonderful company to be part of"

Current Employee - Vice President in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

World class brand, best company in its industry by far, doing good for people in emerging economies. Good people, decent salaries, good benefits. New CEO and President are trying hard to focus and inspire the company and making some progress. Depending upon what part of the company you're in, there is interesting and innovative work to be had. Glad to see focus on merchants and their needs.

Cons

Visa has lost its compassion for staff, especially those with experience and years of service, in its rush to be "cool" for new college grads and Silicon Valley kids. Diversity in the Technology organization is a joke. In the year he's been here, every single new hire the EVP of Tech has done at VP/SVP has been an Indian male. Most of the new SD's as well. The percentage of women in Tech at VP/SVP level is single digits and falling. If you're an Indian man, you're golden. If you're anything else and want more than an entry level job, consider a different place.

Don't abandon the experienced and senior staff that got you here -- they built this place. Make a serious commitment to diversity and keep it.

Visa Inc. Response

Feb 25, 2015agency

Thanks so much for your feedback. Diversity at Visa is always a priority across all levels and departments. We continue to focus on making great strides in diversity year after year.

Payments leader but lack of leadership and declining culture

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Visa is the global leader in payments so it's the place to be for people interested in a career in payments, and there are many different payments initiatives to work on and learn from. There is a high degree of integrity in the maintaining payments' security and stability.

Cons

The culture has been declining with recent management changes and the reopening of the San Francisco office. Executives and innovation activities are in SF. Worker bees and line functions are in Foster City or other regional offices. There is a major disconnect in communication and benefits between executive management and the rest of the company. Execs get perks, employees get declining bonuses, lower and lower grants of stock, and minimal if any pay increases. There is a new forced ranking of 1/4 of all employees as 'underperforming' although HR claims there is not.

Treat your employees how you would like to be treated. Provide fair ratings and compensation for hard work, especially when incremental resources are not available and budget cuts persist yet deliverables and goals are not adjusted accordingly. Invest in the culture from the ground up. Empower employees to make decisions without endless rounds of committee reviews and budget cuts. Don't fund or commit to projects without hiring or allocating the appropriate resources to properly manage the projects.

Trying to stay positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extremely knowledgeable people who have been with the company for a while.
    Decent salary.

Cons

Terrible time management - If you do not live in Foster City, too bad. It is expected that all employees bend to California time even if that means skipping lunches and working late every day of the week. Then to actually get things done, we have to work early mornings too.

No diversity - All older, Asian, and male

Low morale - joined Visa with high hopes only to be brought down by a constant message in my ear saying "don't get too comfortable"

Way too political - when a senior manager is brought in from another company, they bring their entire team with them and get rid of all the old, knowledgeable people.

Overly complex processes - I feel as though people at Visa oftentimes complicate tasks that could and should be simple just to feel important or that they are contributing more than they actually are. They spend more time trying to convince themselves and others that they are important than actually doing work. Small things are made into very very big issues.

Stop hiring managers with no management experience!

Good company undergoing transitions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time

Pros

Great industry, rapidly changing technology and competitive landscape. Some big moves in innovation and mobile likely to play out over next few years.

Cons

Significant Org and culture changes over a short period of time seem to be impacting morale at many levels of the company.

Continue to be mindful of impact of substantial org changed on morale and culture.

Visa Inc. Response

Feb 25, 2015agency

Thanks so much for your feedback and honesty. While changing culture is no small task, we’re committed to promoting a positive work environment at Visa. Your feedback is invaluable in this journey to ... More

Director, Corporate Strategy

I have been working at Visa Inc.

Pros

Great brand, above average compensation

Cons

Work culture, slow processes, top heavy

Lead your self, because no one else will.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Visa is a great company to work for and has many international opportunities. Career progression is in your own hands, very few managers and certainly no one in HR will help you develop so go in with the mind set to make waves and burn your own path. Do not expect people to layout your path for you. Take the bull by the horns and be brave, with that and a measure of respect and dignity you will do well in the company.

Your work colleagues for the most part will be wonderful and extremely diverse in their thinking and experiences. Skilled, smart and full of industry knowledge. Everyone except HR that is, there might be 5 or 6 people in the entire HR team globally who are clandestine activists among the flock of sheep.

It has it's problems but I wouldn't let them discourage you from coming here.

Cons

For years employee engagement has been a key issue, and frankly a lot of people complete the surveys with high marks so their area doesn't get tasked with fixing their own issues. The underlying issues of the organization are never addressed and the responsibility of engagement is handed down to the employees who said they weren't that engaged to begin with, and they wonder why it never improves...

HR is at best incompetent and at worst an insidious puppet of senior management.

Socialization of employees outside of work is extremely limited

For frontline to middle management, read a management book every few months. If you are in a leadership position you should take it seriously and commit yourself to learn how to be an ever improving leader.

Senior management, if you could be as transparent as you say you want to be that would be a good start. Having HR do all of your dirty work is wearing thin. Taking down employee comments on the internal social site because they expose your dishonest practices is embarrassing. Also repeatedly saying there are no forced calibrations of performance ratings when every single manager is asked to adjust their ratings to meet targets set by senior management is not transparency.

From an internal employee relationship viewpoint the executive management and their HR team fail to make any headway on employee engagement and generally agitate the situation with poorly executed last minute strategies which they try sell to us as benefits when they are really cost saving measures designed to make us pay more for something we already have. So, try not to do that or atleast make it less obvious.

It would be nice if the CEO was based in San Francisco, you know, with the rest of the company. Show some dedication Charlie.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Visa Inc.

Pros

Cutting edge industry; great business model

Cons

Slow to act is only con

Great Job

I have been working at Visa Inc.

Pros

Hours, overtime, reputation, good name, great for beginner job

Cons

High Turn over, not much freedom as contractor

Improve in conversion timeframe

Lowest quality of people management I've seen in a long time

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand recognition and reputation. Visa is a household world all over the world and it is inspiring to be part of that. However, the cons negate most of the effects of the fabulous brand.

Cons

Managers manage up with no regard for those who report to them. Most managers are so worried about their own careers they hardly know what's happening on their own teams. Also, I see managers condoning antiquated practices and showing great favoritism for employees that bow to them--a lot of mutual protection and covering up of incompetence.

Really look at your ROI and ask yourself, if the management team you have in place is delivering. Also, I know that executive leadership all comes from the banking industry, but you aren't in a bank anymore--this is technology. Please learn the business and understand how technology workers are far different than bank tellers.

Announced HR Changes Definitely Misleading

Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Visa Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good compared to what I hear others are offered. I would say salaries are competitive for the broad base of employees -- superstars of course could probably do better somewhere else.

Cons

I was suspicious when I read that HR was going to allow managers to rate employees as they saw fit and not on the traditional predetermined "Bell Curve". My suspicions were confirmed shortly after when I saw they had changed the rating scale from 1 to 5 DOWN to 1 to 4. It meant that it would be almost impossible for everyone to meet their target bonus because you have to get a 3 rating [that was never going to happen]. So the company makes well over $5 billion in profit and the money goes to more stock buy-backs to pump up the stock and EPS which certainly doesn't help the average employee since the previously generous RSUs given have apparently disappeared along with the bonus pool. I think we all know where the bonuses will eventually go. This is not the Visa I have been used to for 18 years. Why even have a Target Bonus if it is almost impossible to reach?

Quit saying things that sound like positive changes when the truth is something completely opposite. Just tell us the truth about how things are changing and why.