Viscira Reviews

Dave Gulezian

Overall really positive.

Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Viscira full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best quality products in digital. Some of the best colleagues I have ever worked with. Really hard workers with a passion for what they do.

Cons

Work life balance challenging from the account management perspective. No different then any other agency lifestyle. End of the day, if there is a costumer issue you have to take care of it.

Great small company offering many opps for advancement

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, hard-working and fast-paced atmosphere, but also allows time to play, awesome management that recognizes talented individuals and provides opportunities for growth.

Viscira offers a fun work environment, co-workers are friendly and management is always there to help. As a growing organization, they are always looking for ways to improve and provide opportunities for people.

Cons

Not for the lazy or the weak! Not a good place if you are not a self-starter.

RUN...horrible place to work.

I have been working at Viscira full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The donuts on Wednesdays and free lunches that are billed to clients.

Some of the people are nice but work out of fear.

Cons

Staff works in fear and always throws each other under the bus to save face with upper management. Promise flexibility, but must inform everyone when you're eating, sleeping, or showering. Lack of budget and time management.

Everyone work ethics are different. Everyone isn't accustomed to throwing people under the bus or covering up mistakes all the time. Learn to work with the strong minded individuals and stop protecting the weak ones that jump when you say so.

Horrible-A Pit of Snakes

I worked at Viscira full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The creative work was good, animators-editors and producers really tried to elevate the art and science of the work.
    Office is in a good location.

Cons

Executive leadership is awful, plays favorites-lack of vision-no transparency. The CEO is a short sighted bully.
    Management loves to point fingers, truly one of the worst companies i have ever worked for--

Thankful to work for a great company!!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Viscira full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had really low standards for corporate environment before coming to Viscira. This place is great!! People go out for happy hour after work, someone brings in donuts every Wednesday and we have fun! The products we create are amazing and I'm proud of the work we do everyday. I feel like we have good communication within the company and I've never worked at a place where the CEO gives a quarterly update on how the business is doing - which it's always on an upward trajectory.

Cons

We work with challenging clients that give a lot of push back and that are very demanding.

It's tough working on weekends when a project is on deadline but it's helpful that the executive team also comes in to give support.

Wasting my time & Very frustrating

Current Employee - Senior Interactive Producer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Interactive Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They people in my team are great and we work hard to support each other.

Cons

Management seems to push all the wrong buttons. Mixed signals on how to support our clients. Senior management has created redundant process that don't allow the business workflow to scale. Thus we have to work twice as hard to get our work done.

Stop making excuses for why you can't support us in our work. We are creating fantastic work for our clients. Stop back stabbing us and kicking problems down the road.

Thanks for the perks

I have been working at Viscira full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Just had a company wide massage day, still have a holiday party which includes significant others , and got an annual bonus. What's not to like?

Cons

Yeah we work hard. But I've never worked at a company where I got a bonus after being here less than a year!

Let us know faster if when we are getting comp time so we can plan for it

i cannot recommend doing business with viscira in any capacity - as employee or as client

Current Employee - Writer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Writer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Viscira full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

animations are often polished and of high quality

Cons

many employees are afraid. compensation is below industry standard. career outlook is poor. negative environment. get used to being thrown under the bus. expect a performance improvement plan. senior account/client manager has personally derailed many projects and people.

turn over your senior leadership. you're an animation sweat shop and your creatives deserve fresh mentorship and support from upper management.

Death By A Thousand Cuts!

I have been working at Viscira full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Creative Solutions
    - Creative, Animation and Developer Teams
    - Employees culture

Cons

CEO
    - Overly involved and creates roadblocks.
    - Lacks an understanding of basic leadership principles of the 21st century.
    - Unresponsive to new ideas that build team efficiency.
    - Unwilling to invest in tools that support employee performance and time to market.
    - Short sighted by providing sweetheart deals to certain employees.
    - Lacks compassion for employees.

Company
    Lack of:
     - Operational vision and support.
     - Weak salary way below industry normal by 20 - 30%.
     - Employee Hardware is 3-5 years old! Shocking!!

Wake up and value your employees! Stop managing as if you were garage company and invest in the tools and resources to give your employees a fighting chance. Right now they do the work with hands tied behind their backs. Stop looking for scapegoats! Listen!

Be creative solution oriented leaders with vision!

Revolving door for pharma people...but the work is rad!

I worked at Viscira full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One thing I liked about Viscira was the small group atmosphere. This really allowed people to step up and voice their opinion. The larger the team, the tougher it is to come to the simplest of decisions.

Viscira is in a great location in FiDi right near Levis Plaza, close to Embarcadero BART, East Bay transportation, and some good lunch places.

The changes happening on the client side seem to be long overdue, which will give others the chance to step up and change the status quo.

Cons

It is very true what a previous reviewer said about the alleged "heavy lifters" or those who actually "touch" the work (e.g., animation, motion graphics, development, content) catching the blame when something goes wrong. If you are going to be in one of these positions, be prepared for that and ways to counter. Mistakes often create a domino effect, since everyone is so dependent on the other team members' work. "Teamwork" is the mantra at Viscira, unless something goes wrong.

There's a very, very, very high turnover of employees at Viscira, especially among account and project managers. You'll likely be working with someone brand new in your project groups, which makes it hard for everyone.

There is a very strange dynamic with regard to workloads among positions. You'll see certain positions seemingly working around the clock, while others look on social media all day. It is down-right frustrating to see that your co-worker has updated his/her LinkedIn or Facebook profile at 2pm during work hours.

There's just way too much trash talking for such a friendly place.

You will work overtime without pay. Period. That's the business. If you have kids, make sure you have a back-up plan. I learned that the hard way.

Good luck with the new changes. One thing: people need better acclimation to the work Viscira does, since it is so unique and likely different from their previous employer. I wouldn't necessarily call this being spoon fed.

And, for goodness sake's, please create ONE cohesive process for projects that spans the entire length of time it takes and covers every department. Currently, each department has their own process, but they're different across the board.

No more silos!