Viscira

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Gulezian

Thankful to work for a great company!!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI had really low standards for corporate environment before coming to Viscira. This place is great!! People go out for happy hour after work, someone brings in donuts every Wednesday and we have fun! The products we create are amazing and I'm proud of the work we do everyday. I feel like we have good communication within the company and I've never worked at a place where the CEO gives a quarterly update on how the business is doing - which it's always on an upward trajectory.

ConsWe work with challenging clients that give a lot of push back and that are very demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's tough working on weekends when a project is on deadline but it's helpful that the executive team also comes in to give support.

Wasting my time & Very frustrating

Senior Interactive Producer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey people in my team are great and we work hard to support each other.

ConsManagement seems to push all the wrong buttons. Mixed signals on how to support our clients. Senior management has created redundant process that don't allow the business workflow to scale. Thus we have to work twice as hard to get our work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making excuses for why you can't support us in our work. We are creating fantastic work for our clients. Stop back stabbing us and kicking problems down the road.

Thanks for the perks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsJust had a company wide massage day, still have a holiday party which includes significant others , and got an annual bonus. What's not to like?

ConsYeah we work hard. But I've never worked at a company where I got a bonus after being here less than a year!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us know faster if when we are getting comp time so we can plan for it

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

i cannot recommend doing business with viscira in any capacity - as employee or as client

Writer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosanimations are often polished and of high quality

Consmany employees are afraid. compensation is below industry standard. career outlook is poor. negative environment. get used to being thrown under the bus. expect a performance improvement plan. senior account/client manager has personally derailed many projects and people.

Advice to Senior Managementturn over your senior leadership. you're an animation sweat shop and your creatives deserve fresh mentorship and support from upper management.

Death By A Thousand Cuts!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Creative Solutions
    - Creative, Animation and Developer Teams
    - Employees culture

ConsCEO
    - Overly involved and creates roadblocks.
    - Lacks an understanding of basic leadership principles of the 21st century.
    - Unresponsive to new ideas that build team efficiency.
    - Unwilling to invest in tools that support employee performance and time to market.
    - Short sighted by providing sweetheart deals to certain employees.
    - Lacks compassion for employees.

Company
    Lack of:
     - Operational vision and support.
     - Weak salary way below industry normal by 20 - 30%.
     - Employee Hardware is 3-5 years old! Shocking!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and value your employees! Stop managing as if you were garage company and invest in the tools and resources to give your employees a fighting chance. Right now they do the work with hands tied behind their backs. Stop looking for scapegoats! Listen!

Be creative solution oriented leaders with vision!

Revolving door for pharma people...but the work is rad!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne thing I liked about Viscira was the small group atmosphere. This really allowed people to step up and voice their opinion. The larger the team, the tougher it is to come to the simplest of decisions.

Viscira is in a great location in FiDi right near Levis Plaza, close to Embarcadero BART, East Bay transportation, and some good lunch places.

The changes happening on the client side seem to be long overdue, which will give others the chance to step up and change the status quo.

ConsIt is very true what a previous reviewer said about the alleged "heavy lifters" or those who actually "touch" the work (e.g., animation, motion graphics, development, content) catching the blame when something goes wrong. If you are going to be in one of these positions, be prepared for that and ways to counter. Mistakes often create a domino effect, since everyone is so dependent on the other team members' work. "Teamwork" is the mantra at Viscira, unless something goes wrong.

There's a very, very, very high turnover of employees at Viscira, especially among account and project managers. You'll likely be working with someone brand new in your project groups, which makes it hard for everyone.

There is a very strange dynamic with regard to workloads among positions. You'll see certain positions seemingly working around the clock, while others look on social media all day. It is down-right frustrating to see that your co-worker has updated his/her LinkedIn or Facebook profile at 2pm during work hours.

There's just way too much trash talking for such a friendly place.

You will work overtime without pay. Period. That's the business. If you have kids, make sure you have a back-up plan. I learned that the hard way.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck with the new changes. One thing: people need better acclimation to the work Viscira does, since it is so unique and likely different from their previous employer. I wouldn't necessarily call this being spoon fed.

And, for goodness sake's, please create ONE cohesive process for projects that spans the entire length of time it takes and covers every department. Currently, each department has their own process, but they're different across the board.

No more silos!

Burnout for Worker Bees

(Former Employee)

ProsFast-paced, exciting, the opportunity to work with some of the best creative minds and talents.The animation, innovation, and graphics are top-notch.

ConsIf you're doing the actual heavy lifting in projects, you'll work endless hours of overtime then be thrown under the bus when projects don't run smoothly. Leading by fear and intimidating or favoritism is not the way to motivate people. There is a considerable lack of review process and HR presence if you need support.

On a side note, it seems as if negative reviews keep getting deleted -- if the company is honestly interested in improvement and growth, it will generally take into consideration the good and bad, and not try to censor feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management is to hire people with industry and process knowledge (not just theories but actual experience) of the intricate regulatory process. If you're concerned about the bottom line, stop nickle-and-diming development hours: cutting some dead weight and inflated salaries might be a way to go. Reward all employees (not just managers) for meeting insane deadlines with an equitable bonus structure.

A place of Opportunities with a capital "O"

Creative Lead and Senior 3D Generalist (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFor any person who knows how hard it can be to start a business, Viscira is no exception to the rule. That being said, I've been blown away by how Viscira has managed to successfully maintain steady growth while being born in a very challenging economic time. Furthermore, that steady growth does transpire in the careers of those who invest their energy and make for that success.

So yes, growing is challenging, but coming from the fast paced shark tank environment that is the New York advertizing industry, I found that Viscira is a place where mature individuals with ideas can be given a platform to grow at a speed and in ways that is very hard to achieve anywhere else I've been before. Management cares about the employees much more than many of the work environments I've been in and the flexibility of upper management is proven the minute you take a moment to have a chat with them. We all want bigger and better in the immediate, but I've learned much about the value of taking things one step at a time here and the result's been a very pleasing continuous growth in the direction of those bigger and better ideas.

In my 4 years here, I've had the chance to participate first in building the animation process from the ground up and then working at making it better each year. I was given the opportunity to bring in new technology on the largest scale I've ever had the chance to and I've always felt the support of the leadership team, especially through hard times. I'm sad to leave and I'll always be thankful for the management skills I was able to learn there.

This is work, not playtime... but yet... I can't remember having such a great balance between both at any other given time in my now 12 years long career.

ConsViscira seems to have had a hard time in the past finding the right fit people (experience & attitude). That being said, I think that's probably the main challenge facing most businesses, especially the ones just starting up. In my case, I knew I wasn't going to get the same support as in a company that had been around for many years, so this was an opportunity to step up. Unfortunately, not everybody takes challenges as opportunities. Lots of people seem to want to arrive somewhere and be fed with silver spoons... I don't think these people bring much to the table. Luckily for Viscira, I can safely say I'm sad to leave behind a growing team of very positive and talented people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up guys, I wish I could be there to see where Viscira will go.

Great animations from a small company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDelivers top animations through great creative ideas

ConsLike most agencies, there are always a few things that could be improved.

Positive culture with strong entrepreneurial spirit

ProsI've worked at a lot of agencies and Viscira has a very positive spirit relative to many shops out there. The staff is hungry and feels invested in growing the company. The culture generally is strong (and quite positive) and many employees appear to take pride in their work, even though the work is often "un-sexy" given the nature of pharma work.

ConsThe company's owner is perceived as "cheap." I do agree with this. However, I'd rather have an owner that is very tight with money than one who spends to excess and puts the company and the employees at jeopardy. Financially, Viscira appears to be in a good place. Recently, steps have been made to provide better and more up to date resources to the employees to help them do their jobs better, and make them happier. Plenty of room to go though, but it's a start.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your team the resources they need to succeed and do everything possible to make them happy. For an agency, nothing is more important than the creativity that the employees provide. Happy employees = innovative, world-class work. Also, reward employees with bonuses, and a holiday bonus on good years wouldn't be too bad either.

Worked for Viscira? Contribute to the Community!