Visible Changes
www.visiblechanges.com Houston, TX 500 to 999 Employees

Visible Changes Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014

John McCormack

Hard work for maximum benefit

Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsAmazing incentives, ,endless opportunity, the ability to make mistakes and learn from them, and increased flexibility in scheduling. This company has changed so much in the nearly 10 years I have been with them. I couldn't imagine working elsewhere. We are definitely heading in a direction that includes more of a work life balance and fun at all times.

ConsPeople often times think they should receives benefits they haven't worked for or hit the goal to receive the certain benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to motivate and inspire. We have endless possibilities within our reach.

It's like a big loving family!

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsI love pretty much everything about working at visible changes. I've been with them for over a year. I came to them after going through many salons as most stylists do. The training is very intense and very rewarding. If you don't want to work hard then don't apply! The managers are always there for you and are very accommodating. The education after you get out of training is amazing and one of the main reasons I came here. Opportunity for advancement is abundant. Overall the best company I've ever had the privilege of working for.

ConsI can't really think of anything terribly challenging with being here. Sometimes the amount of travel required can be a bit much.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise better communication between trainers and managers.

Best Employer in the Beauty Industry

Co-Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosbenefits, employee development, environment, ongoing education, data-driven corporate strategies, excellent regional managers and ownership. At Visible Changes, the people made the difference. Having worked for "elite" salons before, I was expecting so much less than what I encountered. Employees would help one another at Visible Changes, set goals and see them through as a team. I have a chill running down my spine as I write this, because I miss them all very much.

My manager, Sylvia Ebel, worked with me as a peer. She always communicated to me where she was coming from and where her team was going. She is a female Vince Lombardi, capable of inspiring dozens of employees. What's more, she worked with me on my schedule, accommodating unexpected events. Having an ill parent to care for, it meant the world to me. Sylvia is fun and motivational, a delight to work with.

My head receptionist, Norma Zamora, was an invaluable asset in the salon. She displayed a depth of caring that is rare in people in the workforce today.

My regional manager, Tami Dunlap, was a great resource, mentoring and meeting with me on a regular basis. The director of training, Leigh LaDay, displayed the same amount of caring and attention. Their gift of "The Laws of Success" is something that I have read twice, and cannot thank them enough for.

The owner, John McCormack, would take time out of his day to speak to each employee. He never made me feel anything other than a valued and integral part of the Visible Changes team. He and Co-Founder Maryanne McCormack consistently worked towards their vision of excellence, of a better life for hundreds of hair stylists. John provided the business framework for growth. Maryanne was steadfast in her pursuit of raising the profession to one that commands respect.

ConsThey weren't hiring a public relations director. Had they been, I would still be at Visible Changes. Another downside would be the long Saturdays, working open to close.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the co-managers working open to close on Saturdays. Keep up the great work elsewhere, and follow in the footsteps of John & Maryanne McCormack

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting,motivating,growth,excellent,,,,,amazing company,

Upper Level (Current Employee)

ProsMany incentives,rewards,benefits,education,
    In hairdressing you get what you give,,I work hard,stay focused like a professional,and I'm rewarded,,,,over and over again

ConsHard work pays off,,,,some people work hard,some people have no work ethic,,,,
    If you don't want to work hard and have fun,you don't want to work here
    Otherwise,,,,cmon,,,let's go

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on changing with the times,the company has been implanting changes to make it better for family,personal time,,,,,,the new generation like a balance,,,,thanks Johnny

not an IT company

Developer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsA Very laid back work environment

Consnothing much challenging to do work wise

Great education, zero personal life

Chemical Specialist (Former Employee)
    South Houston, TX

ProsThe education really is awesome. You learn to do clients quickly (usually you get appts every 30 mins, even for color services). The benefits such as bonuses, 401, profit sharing are very exciting to have offered as well.

ConsThe expectation that just because a "senior" stylist did it, so must you. I wasn't allowed off for a funeral because it was during Christmas. I missed my grandmothers funeral because the handbook stated no vacation days during the holidays. Being told I "could" have requested time off if I sold more retail, having to work my days off because I take vacation, being told I would be demoted unless my retail & yearly numbers improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat us all equally. We aren't robots. And to tell to tell stylists we need to work harder so you have something to leave your kids is a little ridiculous, when some of your employees are struggling to pay bills. We aren't too concerned how Johnny, Danny & Megan will make it with only a few millions to get by.

One of a kind company

Co-Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI have worked for VC since 2005 and have had a very pleasant experience. This company is family-owned and the staff is treated as such. They do expect a lot from their staff both in effort and quality, however no great work goes unrewarded. The best thing about VC is the incentives, bonuses, and benefits package. They do offer insurance and a very generous profit sharing plan to all full-time employees. Furthermore, the education offered at VC is phenomenal. The working environment is diverse, upbeat, fast-paced and teamwork oriented.

ConsThis is a retail-type environment so the hours can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementI enjoyed my time with VC, however some improvements need to be made as far as hours and scheduling. Allowing more flexibility and/or rotating time off would be beneficial.

horrible workplace environment

Receptionist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe only good thing free haircut and discounts.

ConsEverything else down to workplace environment, gossip , backbiting , management.....

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a people's person and influence a better more positive work environment.

Worked for Visible Changes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Visible Changes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Visible Changes CEO John McCormack. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Visible Changes employees.