Vision Express Reviews

Reset
2.4
Leonard C Emrick

Optical assistant

Former Employee - Lab Technician, Team Leader, Optical Assistant in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good staff discount. Good paperless computer system

Cons

It breaks my heart to write this I worked for vision express for 12 years and I left because. It changed from being the eye experts on the high street selling the best product to a short staffed demoralised company. That sells an inferior product and has lost its unique selling point on the business.

Advice to Management

Bring back the lab to every store as the cornerstone of your business. Bring back the premium lens options Inc Zeiss and essilor. And more importantly increase your staff budget. I am being paid more as an optical assistant at a competitor than I was as an asm with. You one last thing the regional managers need to stop bullying store managers for not hitting plan and instead support them.

2. Sales advisor

Pros

Good training scheme provided to new employees.

Cons

not many benefits regarding commission

3. More pros than Cons - Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express full-time

Pros

Excellent Career Development Very Good Training Good Benefits for Management Staff Working for Vision Express had highs and lows. If you work hard, you can rise up through the ranks very quickly and the training department is excellent. The products are very good and you can work with some real professionals. The CEO Jonathan Lawson provides excellent leadership and direction.

Cons

Understaffed Management Hit and Miss Lack of Flexibility Recent decisions taken by senior management have caused problems for staff and an inability to deliver good service to customers. While most support staff are always supportive and approachable, Regional Managers are often too stretched to take the time to work closely with you if there are any issues. The company only allows a certain number of staff which leaves things very tight when colleagues go on holiday, again impacting customer service and stress levels amongst the staff. Senior management are often rude and unapproachable.

Advice to Management

Senior Management must see past the numbers and re-evaluate staffing levels in some stores. More support to store from Regional Managers

5. Company with very bad values. They don't care about you at all or their customers. They care about money and thats it.

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues. Bonds are created immediately because you share a common belief with your colleagues that this company is more croocked than than the teeth on a shark.

Cons

This company is affected by a disease.They are alienated towards core people values. They care only interested in making money without carrying about their employees or their state of health even. Yes they will hire allmost anyone as long as they know that they can work you to death. If you really really need it it's okay. But as soon as you get employed here start looking for something decent. You will hate it after only one day!

Advice to Management

Because a fish rots from the head down I would advice the management to give in their resignation.

Better than nothing but not by much

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Staines, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Staines, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express full-time

Pros

It's better than being unemployed, but really not by far. There are some opportunities for progression and the training isn't bad. Continued training is incentivised with a pay rise but the pay is pretty poor.

Cons

My first manager was a sexist megalomaniac. Working atmosphere often very poor. Work/life balance poor as it's very rare to get two days off in a row. First manager prioritised his holidays over anyone else's despite supposed "first come first served" system.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff better and listen to them rather than the over-exaggerated complaints of customers.

7. This experience caused me serious depression!

Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Dudley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Dudley, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was ok. Benefits after probationary period are free eye exam and free spectacles up to a high amount of £'s. Some Friendly staff.

Cons

Staff are trained to evaluate every person wanting to book an eye test..if it doesn't sound like they are going to buy then you have to lie that there are no appointments available for a couple of weeks! Good customer service?Nope. Where's the duty of care in that? Also, I started to feel forced to leave very early on. I was pleased with my days work and worked really hard--only to keep getting reviews putting me down. I got seriously depressed and ended up leaving when I had a break down caused by management.

Advice to Management

Adapt a better understanding of patient care. An opticians is a necessary health care provider, not a place to get as much money out of people as possible!

8. Depends ALOT on the store manager, but more often than not they're not great

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bizarrely, it is the customers that make working there worth while. Most are happy to take advice and have a laugh when trying glasses. Also, with everyone (generally speaking) being so anti store manager, it creates a strong team environment.

Cons

The store managers are put under a great deal of stress to reach targets, some that they have no control over. As a result, managers just end up demanding all sorts from their staff, things like increasing eye exam volumes and litterally harrassing customers as soon as they come into the store. The stress they are put under then feeds onto others and can quickly turn into an unpleasant place of work. Often you would be asked to work until a certain time (for example 6pm) but because a customer is still in the store, you would be forced to stay. Although this is understandable, the conversation of regaining that time, be it in lieu or paid, would more often than not be a waste.

Advice to Management

The store managers have very little management experience. Most of the managers in store are dispensing opticians which have worked within the company for a long time and thus you think it is appropriate to move them up the ladder. Although i accept the premise, if you insist on adopting this structure, insist that new managers go on an intensive management course. The store environment makes a great deal of difference to employees and that feeling is eventually going to be relaid back to the customers.

9. Tries hard to encourage teamwork but doesn't always get there

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Vision Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The wide range of tasks to do, so you won't be bored too often

Cons

Sometimes management stresses out the employees

Advice to Management

Relax more, the employees know when you're stressed and it passes down to them also and creates a stressful atmosphere

10. I am doing job as a Optometrist at vision express my main job zero error eye testing & contact lens dispensing.

Current Employee - Optometrist in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Optometrist in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Vision Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

vision express providing 1 year warranty on the spectacles & sun glass, if customer is not satisfied with product it can be change according to the customer whatever he/she want.

Cons

vision express taking more working time generally 8 hr working time a day for each employee but its taking more than 11 hr a day without overtime pay.

Advice to Management

Follow up with lab and customer regarding requirement & advising to up selling,optical store management

11. Knoweldgable

Former Employee - Optical Advisor/Lab Technician in Trafford Park, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Optical Advisor/Lab Technician in Trafford Park, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The knowledge gained in the optical industry. Met some great people. A sociable environment.

Cons

sales environment so if you don't like targets then this is not the job for you as you will get pulled on poors sales!!!

Advice to Management

Lick ass you know what I mean!!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed