Vision Express Reviews

Updated March 25, 2014
Updated March 25, 2014

2.9

Leonard C Emrick

Tries hard to encourage teamwork but doesn't always get there

Current Employee - Optical Assistant  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Vision Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

The wide range of tasks to do, so you won't be bored too often

Cons

Sometimes management stresses out the employees

Relax more, the employees know when you're stressed and it passes down to them also and creates a stressful atmosphere

This experience caused me serious depression!

Former Employee - Optical Assistant  in  Dudley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Dudley, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

The money was ok. Benefits after probationary period are free eye exam and free spectacles up to a high amount of £'s. Some Friendly staff.

Cons

Staff are trained to evaluate every person wanting to book an eye test..if it doesn't sound like they are going to buy then you have to lie that there are no appointments available for a couple of weeks! Good customer service?Nope. Where's the duty of care in that? Also, I started to feel forced to leave very early on. I was pleased with my days work and worked really hard--only to keep getting reviews putting me down. I got seriously depressed and ended up leaving when I had a break down caused by management.

Adapt a better understanding of patient care. An opticians is a necessary health care provider, not a place to get as much money out of people as possible!

Depends ALOT on the store manager, but more often than not they're not great

Current Employee - Optical Assistant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bizarrely, it is the customers that make working there worth while. Most are happy to take advice and have a laugh when trying glasses. Also, with everyone (generally speaking) being so anti store manager, it creates a strong team environment.

Cons

The store managers are put under a great deal of stress to reach targets, some that they have no control over. As a result, managers just end up demanding all sorts from their staff, things like increasing eye exam volumes and litterally harrassing customers as soon as they come into the store. The stress they are put under then feeds onto others and can quickly turn into an unpleasant place of work.
    Often you would be asked to work until a certain time (for example 6pm) but because a customer is still in the store, you would be forced to stay. Although this is understandable, the conversation of regaining that time, be it in lieu or paid, would more often than not be a waste.

The store managers have very little management experience. Most of the managers in store are dispensing opticians which have worked within the company for a long time and thus you think it is appropriate to move them up the ladder. Although i accept the premise, if you insist on adopting this structure, insist that new managers go on an intensive management course. The store environment makes a great deal of difference to employees and that feeling is eventually going to be relaid back to the customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I am doing job as a Optometrist at vision express my main job zero error eye testing & contact lens dispensing.

Current Employee - Optometrist  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Optometrist in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Vision Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

vision express providing 1 year warranty on the spectacles & sun glass, if customer is not satisfied with product it can be change according to the customer whatever he/she want.

Cons

vision express taking more working time generally 8 hr working time a day for each employee but its taking more than 11 hr a day without overtime pay.

Follow up with lab and customer regarding requirement & advising to up selling,optical store management

Knoweldgable

Former Employee - Optical Advisor/Lab Technician  in  Trafford Park, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Optical Advisor/Lab Technician in Trafford Park, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The knowledge gained in the optical industry.
    Met some great people.
    A sociable environment.

Cons

sales environment so if you don't like targets then this is not the job for you as you will get pulled on poors sales!!!

Lick ass you know what I mean!!!!

good working environment, salary good only for upper class workers, little innovation, no benefits, poor technical sup.

I have been working at Vision Express for more than a year

Pros

Good lokation, carrear opportunities, stability, big market share, good working evnironment.

Cons

low salary, too conservative, non inovative, very poor lavel of IT technologies and other technical equipment.

do not ignore iniciatives, support co workers

Fantastic 7 months , shame you could not appreciate the difference in your sales from when I joined. :)

Former Employee - Optical Assistant  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good company, well resourced, part of a large conglomerate, premium end of the market. Can be fun, great selection of products ,although quite pricey.

Cons

Remuneration, is inadequate, being in retail they take advantage of workers by getting them to stay unpaid after closing hours. Lab guys were atrocious,

Harness the contributions from entrepreneurial employees that you have and try and appreciate that people can only derive so much motivation from simple retail posts. In addition let the sales people do sales, not mess about with your under performing labs to chase up orders and duplicate job roles. It would also be a good idea to protect customers frames and glasses from getting scratched and damaged with your out of date trays that are stacked on top of one another, and are routinely dropped as they topple over., when the lab guys are looking for client orders. I'd also suggest some method of routinely cleaning frames especially before delivering them finally to the customers , but also to stop cross contamination from numerous people trying on different frames putting them back on display, ready for some poor soul to get a skin infection or whatever from having to try on a frame .

It was good.. It would have been better if i had a chance to work some more time with them

Former Employee - Optometrist  in  Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Optometrist in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Vision Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growing company.... Lots of opportunity

Cons

No brands....
    Unsatisfied practice for contact lens...

Work hard

Sadly, despite the negative review, this is the best multiple to work for

Current Employee - Optometrist  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Optometrist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express

Pros

Best of the bunch for optometrists looking to work for a multiple

Cons

For optometrists there is no opportunity for growth as is true of most optometry careers - this is a dead end.

Improve communication down the hierarchy, hire management that really understands the industry and invest in staff - educate them, nurture them and provide them with opportunities for growth to release their potential.

Worked for Vision Express? Contribute to the Community!