Vision Express

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Leonard C Emrick

Tries hard to encourage teamwork but doesn't always get there

Optical Assistant (Current Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Vision Express part-time for more than a year

ProsThe wide range of tasks to do, so you won't be bored too often

ConsSometimes management stresses out the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax more, the employees know when you're stressed and it passes down to them also and creates a stressful atmosphere

This experience caused me serious depression!

Optical Assistant (Former Employee)
Dudley, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express full-time for less than a year

ProsThe money was ok. Benefits after probationary period are free eye exam and free spectacles up to a high amount of £'s. Some Friendly staff.

ConsStaff are trained to evaluate every person wanting to book an eye test..if it doesn't sound like they are going to buy then you have to lie that there are no appointments available for a couple of weeks! Good customer service?Nope. Where's the duty of care in that? Also, I started to feel forced to leave very early on. I was pleased with my days work and worked really hard--only to keep getting reviews putting me down. I got seriously depressed and ended up leaving when I had a break down caused by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdapt a better understanding of patient care. An opticians is a necessary health care provider, not a place to get as much money out of people as possible!

Depends ALOT on the store manager, but more often than not they're not great

Optical Assistant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express part-time for more than 3 years

ProsBizarrely, it is the customers that make working there worth while. Most are happy to take advice and have a laugh when trying glasses. Also, with everyone (generally speaking) being so anti store manager, it creates a strong team environment.

ConsThe store managers are put under a great deal of stress to reach targets, some that they have no control over. As a result, managers just end up demanding all sorts from their staff, things like increasing eye exam volumes and litterally harrassing customers as soon as they come into the store. The stress they are put under then feeds onto others and can quickly turn into an unpleasant place of work.
Often you would be asked to work until a certain time (for example 6pm) but because a customer is still in the store, you would be forced to stay. Although this is understandable, the conversation of regaining that time, be it in lieu or paid, would more often than not be a waste.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe store managers have very little management experience. Most of the managers in store are dispensing opticians which have worked within the company for a long time and thus you think it is appropriate to move them up the ladder. Although i accept the premise, if you insist on adopting this structure, insist that new managers go on an intensive management course. The store environment makes a great deal of difference to employees and that feeling is eventually going to be relaid back to the customers.

I am doing job as a Optometrist at vision express my main job zero error eye testing & contact lens dispensing.

Optometrist (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Vision Express full-time for more than 5 years

Prosvision express providing 1 year warranty on the spectacles & sun glass, if customer is not satisfied with product it can be change according to the customer whatever he/she want.

Consvision express taking more working time generally 8 hr working time a day for each employee but its taking more than 11 hr a day without overtime pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow up with lab and customer regarding requirement & advising to up selling,optical store management

Knoweldgable

Optical Advisor/Lab Technician (Former Employee)
Trafford Park, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe knowledge gained in the optical industry.
Met some great people.
A sociable environment.

Conssales environment so if you don't like targets then this is not the job for you as you will get pulled on poors sales!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLick ass you know what I mean!!!!

good working environment, salary good only for upper class workers, little innovation, no benefits, poor technical sup.

I have been working at Vision Express for more than a year

ProsGood lokation, carrear opportunities, stability, big market share, good working evnironment.

Conslow salary, too conservative, non inovative, very poor lavel of IT technologies and other technical equipment.

Advice to Senior Managementdo not ignore iniciatives, support co workers

Fantastic 7 months , shame you could not appreciate the difference in your sales from when I joined. :)

Optical Assistant (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Vision Express part-time for less than a year

ProsGood company, well resourced, part of a large conglomerate, premium end of the market. Can be fun, great selection of products ,although quite pricey.

ConsRemuneration, is inadequate, being in retail they take advantage of workers by getting them to stay unpaid after closing hours. Lab guys were atrocious,

Advice to Senior ManagementHarness the contributions from entrepreneurial employees that you have and try and appreciate that people can only derive so much motivation from simple retail posts. In addition let the sales people do sales, not mess about with your under performing labs to chase up orders and duplicate job roles. It would also be a good idea to protect customers frames and glasses from getting scratched and damaged with your out of date trays that are stacked on top of one another, and are routinely dropped as they topple over., when the lab guys are looking for client orders. I'd also suggest some method of routinely cleaning frames especially before delivering them finally to the customers , but also to stop cross contamination from numerous people trying on different frames putting them back on display, ready for some poor soul to get a skin infection or whatever from having to try on a frame .

It was good.. It would have been better if i had a chance to work some more time with them

Optometrist (Former Employee)
Mumbai (India)

I worked at Vision Express full-time for less than a year

ProsGrowing company.... Lots of opportunity

ConsNo brands....
Unsatisfied practice for contact lens...

Advice to Senior ManagementWork hard

Sadly, despite the negative review, this is the best multiple to work for

Optometrist (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Vision Express

ProsBest of the bunch for optometrists looking to work for a multiple

ConsFor optometrists there is no opportunity for growth as is true of most optometry careers - this is a dead end.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication down the hierarchy, hire management that really understands the industry and invest in staff - educate them, nurture them and provide them with opportunities for growth to release their potential.

Worked for Vision Express? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vision Express reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vision Express CEO Leonard C Emrick. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Vision Express employees.