Vision Solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Nicolaas Vlok

1. Great teamwork - others are always willing to get on the phone and help ensure the customers are taken care of.

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer - Support Specialist II in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Vision Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work virtual. This is a major life change that allows more time with my family and less time commuting.

Cons

Currently we only work virtual 2-3 days a week, would like to work virtual full time.

Advice to Management

Keep communications up with the team. Nice job on employee recognition within my department!

2. GREAT PROJECTS and EXPERIENCE

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Vision Solutions full-time

Pros

I was hired as a software engineer two years ago. I applied over the internet based on some positive info from friends I have that worked there and said it was a great environment. I like the challenge of the work. It's all leading edge stuff working with Microsoft and VMWare. I am also doing some cool stuff with AWS Cloud solutions. The management respects my family obligations and I feel there is GREAT life balance at Vision. My mother was sick and I need to take some time off and then work remotely... no issue at all. Many of the programmers on my team work remotely all the time. its another cool perk of working here. I also like the fact that the company backs us to help the community which makes us all feel good on my team.

Cons

None so far as I can tell. I have read some of the negatives on here and that's one of the reasons I am writing this. Myself and my teammates have not had any of those negative experiences!

Advice to Management

Continue the open communications. We don't see the CEO very often, but I do appreciate the quarterly all-hands updates that he gives with the other members of senior management.

3. Smoking Mirrors

I worked at Vision Solutions full-time

Pros

Some really smart and great people to work with. Everyone works hard and puts in a lot of effort.

Cons

Nepotism at its best. You dont have to know how to do your job just need to be good pals with an Executive or Director and if not then you are basically ignored. Unobtainable quotas that dont align with compensation plans. Very little support from management Totally mislead you on the potential of the job.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a strong team of smart and energetic individuals who can actually do the job right. Create an obtainable sales quota that is realistic and achievable.

5. Overpromise, Underdeliver Company

Pros

Decent salary. Good PTO program. Reasonable insurance benefits. Excellent HR team, especially Stephanie McGrath, who was #1 reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Lousy 401k match. Very unprofessional with most leadership team members accustomed to cussing out their staff members in front of others. VPs afraid to let managers and directors have the floor and meet with other leadership team members/peers. Allowing product strategy leaders to blame all others in the organization for their own failures.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror. Treat others how you would like to be treated. And never tell an employee "family can wait, do your job first", especially one who already is working 50+ hours a week to help you achieve success.

6. software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Too good leave planning and

Cons

Indy office location has less facilities

7. Nice Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vision Solutions (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is great at this company

Cons

Not a lot of Career Opportunities

8. Solid Company

Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Vision Solutions full-time

Pros

Competitive pay. Solid R&D department. Smart coworkers. Excellent work/life balance. No push to "make the numbers."

Cons

Slow to procure needed hardware. Old fashioned.

9. Inside Sales

Pros

Great place to work! I have loved working here.

Cons

Only get to get together with everyone once a year

10. Excellent experience while it lasted

I worked at Vision Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible learning experience, great people to work with, your colleagues have your back.

Cons

Bad quarters equal layoffs - investors will always come first. Sometimes the mantra is do more with less.

Advice to Management

Every company will have a bad quarter - don't turn on the employees that devote their lives to the company ...that puts undue stress on everyone.

11. Used to be a great place to work, is now very process heavy and not much fun.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Vision Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This review is for the Engineering department. Company used to be much more flexible with time. You could come in late, leave for doctors appointments without any issues. Now everything must be approved and you need to adhere to a strict schedule. If you are late one day, your manager will start instant messaging everyone around you asking where you are. Oops, that's not a "pro", there aren't too many these days. Salary is good compared to similar positions at other companies. Benefits are good. You can have two monitors if you want.

Cons

This review is for the Engineering department. The company used to be fun to work at, but it merged with two competing companies and the culture clash has been difficult. The Minnesota office now controls all IBM software development and manages the development teams in Salt Lake and Irvine remotely. The staff in Minnesota are all ex-IBMers and are very serious and process-heavy. Most of the development staff in the other locations have been laid off by now, with just a skeleton crew performing maintenance of those locations' local products. Imagine being managed by people in a different time zone who basically don't know you. Meetings are often scheduled at difficult times because they forget that you're on Pacific time. You are not allowed very much creativity in your work, and must record all time spent in 15 minute increments. Although the custom development tools that have been created are the most modern I've seen on the AS/400, they are sometimes overly complex and fragile. If you work here on the AS/400, prepare to stop learning new technology. There just isn't much new going on. Irvine and Salt Lake products are all RPG, CL and some C. Minnesota product is mostly C. But there is a separate Windows and Java group, so unless you belong to them you are stuck in the same old AS/400 tech. The Irvine office has a solemn air about it, almost as if people are afraid to laugh or show much joy. After all the various layoffs, people stay because it's comfortable but know they could be let go at any time. The CEO is completely absent from the company. Upper management has a track record of not being trusted by the rank and file. When the mergers first occurred, what was stated consistently was that no one's job was in jeopardy, that the three competing products were all needed in the marketplace, and that it made sense for one company to offer three similar products. Sounds ludicrous, of course, but it was repeated emphatically time and time again. Except then a series of layoffs occurred and the staff was cut drastically.

RSS Feed </> Embed