Vision Technologies

Updated February 7, 2015
2.6

John L Shetrone Jr

I have been working at Vision Technologies

Pros

Federal contracts are relatively stable and pay is average.

Cons

Work-life balance nonexistence, tuition reimbursement is the lowest I have seen. 401K contribution is low. And they charge an arm and leg for health benefits.

If you want new and great talent, offer better benefits. (ex - tuition reimbursement and lower health insurance rates and maybe increase 401k contributions)

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time

Pros

* There's not much to be positive about.
    * Some decent employees. HR tries to be decent.
    * Workplace flexibility, but this benefit is being taken away.

Cons

* If I could give Vision a negative star rating, I would.
    * PTO plan is non-existent.
    * $1000/yr in training for technical workers, which means no training.
    * While the company claims to be "veteran owned", the values of the company, in no way, represent military ideals.
    * The culture is akin to a Roman Gladiatorial game. You kill or you will be killed.

I would give advice, but I know it would fall on deaf ears.

Down bound train

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time

Pros

Great employees, hard working, care about their jobs. Still has a small company feel, but not as small as when I first started. Engineers, admin and techs have each others' backs, and they need to.

Cons

Where to begin? CEO and COO are not the people persons they claim to be. Need to be a relative to avoid scrutiny. Below market salary and benefit programs, and senior managers are proud of that. Company has the feel of a down bound train, which is a shame.

Just sell the company already and move on.

Exciting to be part of a growing organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is welcoming and open to new ideas and ways of doing things. The environment is friendly, casual and transparent. The company encourages personal growth.

Cons

I can't think of any other then you need to want to work hard. This is "pro" for me but if someone is looking for a 9-5 "status quo" position, Vision Technologies wouldn't be the right company. It's a growing exciting business.

Continue to do what you are doing!

Best Company, Best People, Best Customer Service

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in the Federal Services Group. Our management team from the SVP to the support teams are excellent to work with. I am treated with respect, in a professional manner, and as an individual contributor. This starts at the top and the SVP of Federal Services, who is also one of the owners, is fantastic a motivating the team and supporting us. The people are a pleasure to work with and a constant source of pride.

Cons

Better dental package and more PTO would be nice.

In the Federal Services Group keep doing what you are doing. I really do not know much about the commercial side of the house other than the services we provide outside of Federal.

so so...

Current Contractor - Desktop Analyst in Baltimore, MD
    Current Contractor - Desktop Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Vision Technologies as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

laid back atmosphere, friendly sdm's, reimbursed parking

Cons

PTO is earned, at about 4 hours every two weeks. Depending on your position the pay isn't that great, especially when you see what normal employee's make at your place of business. Manually filling out timesheets and emailing them in.

As for my personal SDM, she's awesome. Upper managment seems friendly so not qualms there

Profit first, sell centric mentality that is successful for ownership to make Millions.

Former Employee - Supervisor/Project Manager in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Supervisor/Project Manager in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Vision Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many avenues to seek advancement and grow career. Very knowledgable staff to support all infrastructure needs.

Cons

Family relationships seem to get all of the better opportunities. Take on so much new business that the work for large workforce is on the books but when it doesn't open up, they just lay people off and hire new. Rather than implement a controled growth to try and avoid layoffs.

Practice more of what you preach about actually caring. If you do not profit enough money to give workforce proper raises (which you know is a lie), don't brag at the all hands meeting about the brand new boat that you just purchased which costs more than any 4 peoples anual salary.

Yes, I work at Vision...and am happy to say that it is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Believer
    Current Employee - Believer

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Even in a difficult economy, the owners have found ways to grow the business. Through the foresight of the owners, Vision has expanded into many new lines of business to become a full services IT Integrator. A one stop shop for our customers for their AV, Electronic Security, Network Infrastructure, Wireless, Cellular Reinforcement services. A true network integration company providing services for the 21st century.

Cons

There is sometimes a fine line between pros and cons. One person's pro, is many times another person's con. In the case of Vision, if you like to be challenged and are a believer in work first then play...Vision is the place for you. If you are a clock watcher, Vision is not the place. Winning may not be everything, but if your not winning your losing and Vision employees do not like to lose.

Stick to the strategy. Creating a company that can support multiple highly complex technologies takes time and the energy of everyone on the team. We are making great progress.

Unfortunately, the worse place I have worked so far.

Current Employee - Federal Support
    Current Employee - Federal Support

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work schedule. Generally a laid back atmosphere at the remote sites. Staff members really try to assist one another.

Cons

Poor or non existent support from management. Decisions are hard for management to make they usually have to defer to the owners. While management will listen and agree that improvements to processes or procedures are needed they never seem to act to implement. First line managers regrettably are in over their heads.

Your staff have good, practical and creative ideas. Listen and implement once in a while.

Company with Vision-The name is Reflective

Current Employee - IT Operations and Service Delivery Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - IT Operations and Service Delivery Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work in the Federal Services Group. The SVP is focused, direct, and balanced in his approach to doing work in the Federal arena. My fellow co-workers are amazing and supportive. Hard work but great rewards; work hard but play hard. Its like Marines; if your not one of the few good men or women - do not apply!

Cons

Limited support from BD and Sales. They try hard; but they are commercial based with limited Federal knowledge and experience. Need to let BU have more say!

Continue with plan and approach but let the people who know Federal proceed with Corporate input.