Vision Technologies

Be The First To
Add Photos

John L Shetrone Jr

Best Company, Best People, Best Customer Service

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI work in the Federal Services Group. Our management team from the SVP to the support teams are excellent to work with. I am treated with respect, in a professional manner, and as an individual contributor. This starts at the top and the SVP of Federal Services, who is also one of the owners, is fantastic a motivating the team and supporting us. The people are a pleasure to work with and a constant source of pride.

ConsBetter dental package and more PTO would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the Federal Services Group keep doing what you are doing. I really do not know much about the commercial side of the house other than the services we provide outside of Federal.

so so...

Desktop Analyst (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Vision Technologies as a contractor for more than a year

Proslaid back atmosphere, friendly sdm's, reimbursed parking

ConsPTO is earned, at about 4 hours every two weeks. Depending on your position the pay isn't that great, especially when you see what normal employee's make at your place of business. Manually filling out timesheets and emailing them in.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs for my personal SDM, she's awesome. Upper managment seems friendly so not qualms there

Profit first, sell centric mentality that is successful for ownership to make Millions.

Supervisor/Project Manager (Former Employee)
Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Vision Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are many avenues to seek advancement and grow career. Very knowledgable staff to support all infrastructure needs.

ConsFamily relationships seem to get all of the better opportunities. Take on so much new business that the work for large workforce is on the books but when it doesn't open up, they just lay people off and hire new. Rather than implement a controled growth to try and avoid layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice more of what you preach about actually caring. If you do not profit enough money to give workforce proper raises (which you know is a lie), don't brag at the all hands meeting about the brand new boat that you just purchased which costs more than any 4 peoples anual salary.

Yes, I work at Vision...and am happy to say that it is a great place to work!

Believer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEven in a difficult economy, the owners have found ways to grow the business. Through the foresight of the owners, Vision has expanded into many new lines of business to become a full services IT Integrator. A one stop shop for our customers for their AV, Electronic Security, Network Infrastructure, Wireless, Cellular Reinforcement services. A true network integration company providing services for the 21st century.

ConsThere is sometimes a fine line between pros and cons. One person's pro, is many times another person's con. In the case of Vision, if you like to be challenged and are a believer in work first then play...Vision is the place for you. If you are a clock watcher, Vision is not the place. Winning may not be everything, but if your not winning your losing and Vision employees do not like to lose.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the strategy. Creating a company that can support multiple highly complex technologies takes time and the energy of everyone on the team. We are making great progress.

Unfortunately, the worse place I have worked so far.

Federal Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexibility in work schedule. Generally a laid back atmosphere at the remote sites. Staff members really try to assist one another.

ConsPoor or non existent support from management. Decisions are hard for management to make they usually have to defer to the owners. While management will listen and agree that improvements to processes or procedures are needed they never seem to act to implement. First line managers regrettably are in over their heads.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour staff have good, practical and creative ideas. Listen and implement once in a while.

Company with Vision-The name is Reflective

IT Operations and Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI work in the Federal Services Group. The SVP is focused, direct, and balanced in his approach to doing work in the Federal arena. My fellow co-workers are amazing and supportive. Hard work but great rewards; work hard but play hard. Its like Marines; if your not one of the few good men or women - do not apply!

ConsLimited support from BD and Sales. They try hard; but they are commercial based with limited Federal knowledge and experience. Need to let BU have more say!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with plan and approach but let the people who know Federal proceed with Corporate input.

Wow, Looks like a lot of family in here. All the positive ones!

ProsI get paid, Good HR department

ConsFew implement the companies culture. Owner should take a hard look at it. Up line managers with no training on company culture, so no culture is being used except by senior employees.
No advancement, poor training budget, HR has its hands tied, No action on advice, only head shaking, like they heard. Lying at its best!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the owner's management training and learn it and use it. Remember its the employees that make the company look good, not the other way around.

LIkable

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsGovernment contracting side (Chantilly) is well-run and offers a lot of job stability, decent benefits, and excellent work environment. Working from home ok when possible for client / etc. Decent income and benefits.

ConsManagement is saturated with responsibilities, reaching / decisions can take time.

Career progression is limited, largely due to the long term nature and "position" filling of contracts, not necessarily a company fault. Often, the contracts with the clients dictate the education level required for a position, so if someone is actually qualified & promotable, may not meet the contract requirements of the engagement (or other engagement). Hands are tied in some respects.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower middle-level management more to even out the work load & decision making.

Nepotism at its best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Vision Technologies full-time for more than a year

ProsMany of the employees (not the relatives) are dedicated, hard-working and genuinely nice people. These are the people who kept me going through the difficult days at Vision and made that job somewhat bearable. . . somewhat.

The benefits package is decent - vision, dental, medical and 2 weeks annual vacation.

If you are applying to a position outside of the sales department, that has little or nothing to do with interacting with the sales department, you may enjoy your time at Vision.

ConsHowever, the ownership at this company has elected to hire a lot of friends and family regardless of job talent. If one of them is not good at their current position, they will create a new position and transition them into it, over and over again, just to keep them employed. As a hire acquired through an actual interview process I was constantly asked, "So who did you know to get this job?" . . . Um, LinkedIn?

Their annual employee turnover rate is nearly 33% which is astounding in a declining economy, which, to me, says that someone would rather deal with being unemployed, than work at Vision.

Vision is famous for preaching culture - they want their employees to feel valued, however, there is a terrific conflict in what they preach and what they teach. Terms like "Venting Up" (talking to supervisors instead of peers when you have an issue) or "Emotional Fortitude" (being able to handle constructive criticism) are taught yet never practiced. Should you elect to Vent Up (I did, as I have a lot of moxie) do not expect it to make a difference.

You will be inundated with cultural training classes and company-wide meetings, meant to foster conversation and positive growth within the company. However, Vision is so busy planning and attending meetings that they don't take the time to implement or define the purpose of the meetings.

Unfortunately, this company is treading water and will likely retire in 5-10 years when the ownership does.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither execute culture, or don't waste time talking about it.

Very family oriented. In fact you must be a blood relative to get promoted

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vision Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt is a good to have a job in these hard economic times. Vision is a small company with a small mindset. PTO is very poor, consideration for life circumstances is just not there. Managers at home office are receptive to ideas as long as they agree or else.

ConsIt is sad that any hope of promotion is based on your blood relationship. Also, the high disregard for the non-family skill set available within the company. The CEO promotes a concept called Execution Culture, it is funny that they manage staff on the contracts with execution in mind. I wouldn't recommend this company except in an emergency way point on your career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are braggadocios about your veteran status but don't hold to any of the values taught in the military. Drop the super strong "not-invented-here" approach to ideas from the staff and stop talking down to them.

Worked for Vision Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vision Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vision Technologies CEO John L Shetrone Jr. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Vision Technologies employees.