VisionOne Inc. Reviews

Updated July 23, 2014
Updated July 23, 2014

3.4

CEO

Relaxed culture with lots of potential

I have been working at VisionOne Inc.

Pros

The culture is great, super relaxed, we just finished a company foosball league (yes there is a table in the lobby), and the owners like to host get togethers and socials (We've been to Vegas and Seattle a few times so far). A lot of us work from home on Friday's as well.

The development environment is pretty organized and we all get along pretty well. Benefits are good. We have access to all the newest MS dev tools and we have a fair amount of freedom as far as development goes, which is nice since we're able to work in newer frontend frameworks like Angular and get creative with the backend while we transition away from an old tech stack. That would have to be my chief complaint, considering how much ongoing business we have on our legacy systems, it is taking awhile to get away from it. But management seems to be as motivated as we are in the migration process and actively involves us in the planning. Speaking of which, part of my motivation for writing this is that rant by a former employee. They must have been very "former" as their description doesn't ring true for how it feels currently...and I must say it would be silly to unit test Classic ASP, that probably would be a waste of time. And if anything the current dev head is a little too hands off, though they are usually quick to roll over if you ask for input.

Cons

Like I mentioned, the backend tech is old, while we are able to use newer frontend frameworks, we really need to get on with a newer tech. Also, there seems to be some indecisiveness as far as being a product company or a custom dev company which sometimes makes it unclear how to coordinate

We see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as the old tech goes, let's get there asap!

This was a good paycheck, but lacked learning experiences and growth of any kind

I worked at VisionOne Inc.

Pros

Decent pay for region. Nice work environment.

Cons

Top-down management. No room for growth in any department. They hire from outside, instead of promoting from within. VERY POOR MANAGEMENT. Closed door policy on all major decisions. This is a tech company that sold out and is now functioning like an old school sales company. LARGE TECH WORKER TURN-OVER HERE.

Work with employees to find trouble areas and improve upon those. Maintain team comradery.

Mediocracy at it's finest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I worked at VisionOne Inc. full-time

Pros

Work / life balance wasn't bad. Pay was okay but no bonus structure. Made some friends here but they have all left.

Cons

Lack of trust is evident here. After working for many years you will still need to enter your daily time in a horrible outdated system even for projects that are not billable. Really? Also, management protects their inner circle while the individual contributors do all of the work. They have closed door leadership pow wows to talk about other employees and those they wish they could fire. There is absolutely no career ladder, at all. My development manager was an absolute micromanager who wanted to take the credit for everything as well as not properly delegating out to others who deserved it. In my whole career here there was never an interest in building a true team culture. Team activities were zilch, unless you brought it up over and over and even then it felt forced. Upper management did not encourage it so maybe once every few months our small team could go get lunch together. How pathetic, but yet they would spend tons of cash on ridiculous partnership deals or investments in branding that went nowhere. Oh and there is no development process here such as scrum or kanban, the company doesn't believe in it. Instead, you will be driven into ridiculous waterfall style of planning with nothing ever being delivered on time all owned by the development manager. They think they're agile because they do a short standup in the morning; give me a break. If you like people coming to your desk to drop everything and do something else every day then you will love it here. Every single amazing engineer that has worked here has left all due to everything above I have just mentioned and they do not even care. Not once has executive management stopped and asked why is this happening. They're clueless.

It's funny this is a technology company still yet they are the most behind in technology I've ever seen. Their primary product is still running off of classic asp which is 20 years old. They cannot understand the concept of building a better product and platform for the sake of efficiency and scalability. All they care about is locking customers in long contracts for fear they realize competitors are light years ahead in their technology and product options. I mean it's 2014 and they don't even provide a true native mobile app to their clients. Get with the program. I was told one time that we are not to invest in unit testing as it's a waste of time.

The company also treats product owners like a squad of lemmings. Oh yeah, and they are not product managers, they're project managers. They really just deal with specific clients but yet the product owners think they own the software and the development team. So therefore when a client calls in because they saw a javascript bug they will make you drop everything to look into this bug. You can see the efficiency in this. The product owners are absolutely not technical.

The whole company is fragmented. It's really small yet hardly anyone is friends or goes to lunch together. Upper management tends to go to lunch together and not invite anyone else. You end up going to lunch by yourself pretty much every day.

And lastly, the CEO is the root of all of these problems. He should be the driver of success in ensuring they hire the best talent, build the best technology platform, provide trust throughout the whole organization, be a visionary, be notable and respectable. He does none of this. Everyone looks to him as a joke and someone who will do what it takes to make himself look good but has no issue with massive turnover rates, low quality hires, an extremely outdated technology platform and a lack in vision in every way, shape and form.

Get rid of the CEO and Development Manager and hire a true set of leaders to run the company and engineering group. Restructure the company to be more nimble and agile. Provide appropriate career ladders and room for growth in the company. Provide equity to people. Invest money into culture and people. The founders need to wake up and really understand this company is going to be a sinking ship soon.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Small Company, Big Vision

Current Employee - Project Management
    Current Employee - Project Management

I have been working at VisionOne Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Still just at 50 employees, VisionOne is a small company where even one employee can make a big difference. Hiring motivated employees has been the mission for the last few years and it has shown with the ShoWare product and attitude, especially for those having been a part of the team for 2 years or less and the new ideas that they bring to the table.

There has been a geographic diversification of the work force as well with expansion to the East Coast more. There has also been a refocus on customer service with every member of the company learning how even what they do internally helps us help our customers.

Those of us who work remotely greatly appreciate the team bonding activities and the new addition of client summits where we all get to meet our clients, showing them new things and listening to what we can do better - ultimately, the company wants to continually do better!

Cons

Being a small company, the opportunity to elevate in positions and move into management is generally slower as there are less people to manage.

Keep hiring talented and motivated people so innovation can continue to move forward!

Ownership is good old boys club

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I worked at VisionOne Inc.

Pros

Works to stay competitive within the industry to a point.

Cons

Distrust at every level of the company. Owners are completely out of touch, trust management way too much, and the management instills a constant simmering negative attitude. Departments do not trust each other, department heads talk bad about management behind their backs, praise them in meetings. Sales people are shown no respect, management actively works to undercut sales people with regional competition and internal accounts. This is a very unhealthy place to work.

Get rid of top management, quit hiring friends, and enough already with "team" activities that waste time and do nothing, as your management does zero to support this ideology.

Great Company to work for! By far the Best I ever worked for.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fresno, CA

I have been working at VisionOne Inc.

Pros

VisionOne Inc. is a very stable company. Their Business Model makes sense and I like the fact that they operate in 3 different Continents. I hope I can travel one day to Brazil or Europe :)

Since I work in Software development its very important for me to use the newst Tools. VisionOne is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and has access to all the new Tools. I wish I would have more time to play around with them but then again this is work and not the playground.

I am very happy to work here and will stay around for a while.

Cons

Since they are a relative small company here in Fresno CA it takes longer to get a promotion.

Hire more highly skilled .NET Developers

Worked for VisionOne Inc.? Contribute to the Community!