VisionOne Inc.

Updated May 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Small Company, Big Vision

Project Management (Current Employee)

ProsStill just at 50 employees, VisionOne is a small company where even one employee can make a big difference. Hiring motivated employees has been the mission for the last few years and it has shown with the ShoWare product and attitude, especially for those having been a part of the team for 2 years or less and the new ideas that they bring to the table.

There has been a geographic diversification of the work force as well with expansion to the East Coast more. There has also been a refocus on customer service with every member of the company learning how even what they do internally helps us help our customers.

Those of us who work remotely greatly appreciate the team bonding activities and the new addition of client summits where we all get to meet our clients, showing them new things and listening to what we can do better - ultimately, the company wants to continually do better!

ConsBeing a small company, the opportunity to elevate in positions and move into management is generally slower as there are less people to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring talented and motivated people so innovation can continue to move forward!

Mediocracy at it's finest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsWork / life balance wasn't bad. Pay was okay but no bonus structure. Made some friends here but they have all left.

ConsLack of trust is evident here. After working for many years you will still need to enter your daily time in a horrible outdated system even for projects that are not billable. Really? Also, management protects their inner circle while the individual contributors do all of the work. They have closed door leadership pow wows to talk about other employees and those they wish they could fire. There is absolutely no career ladder, at all. My development manager was an absolute micromanager who wanted to take the credit for everything as well as not properly delegating out to others who deserved it. In my whole career here there was never an interest in building a true team culture. Team activities were zilch, unless you brought it up over and over and even then it felt forced. Upper management did not encourage it so maybe once every few months our small team could go get lunch together. How pathetic, but yet they would spend tons of cash on ridiculous partnership deals or investments in branding that went nowhere. Oh and there is no development process here such as scrum or kanban, the company doesn't believe in it. Instead, you will be driven into ridiculous waterfall style of planning with nothing ever being delivered on time all owned by the development manager. They think they're agile because they do a short standup in the morning; give me a break. If you like people coming to your desk to drop everything and do something else every day then you will love it here. Every single amazing engineer that has worked here has left all due to everything above I have just mentioned and they do not even care. Not once has executive management stopped and asked why is this happening. They're clueless.

It's funny this is a technology company still yet they are the most behind in technology I've ever seen. Their primary product is still running off of classic asp which is 20 years old. They cannot understand the concept of building a better product and platform for the sake of efficiency and scalability. All they care about is locking customers in long contracts for fear they realize competitors are light years ahead in their technology and product options. I mean it's 2014 and they don't even provide a true native mobile app to their clients. Get with the program. I was told one time that we are not to invest in unit testing as it's a waste of time.

The company also treats product owners like a squad of lemmings. Oh yeah, and they are not product managers, they're project managers. They really just deal with specific clients but yet the product owners think they own the software and the development team. So therefore when a client calls in because they saw a javascript bug they will make you drop everything to look into this bug. You can see the efficiency in this. The product owners are absolutely not technical.

The whole company is fragmented. It's really small yet hardly anyone is friends or goes to lunch together. Upper management tends to go to lunch together and not invite anyone else. You end up going to lunch by yourself pretty much every day.

And lastly, the CEO is the root of all of these problems. He should be the driver of success in ensuring they hire the best talent, build the best technology platform, provide trust throughout the whole organization, be a visionary, be notable and respectable. He does none of this. Everyone looks to him as a joke and someone who will do what it takes to make himself look good but has no issue with massive turnover rates, low quality hires, an extremely outdated technology platform and a lack in vision in every way, shape and form.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the CEO and Development Manager and hire a true set of leaders to run the company and engineering group. Restructure the company to be more nimble and agile. Provide appropriate career ladders and room for growth in the company. Provide equity to people. Invest money into culture and people. The founders need to wake up and really understand this company is going to be a sinking ship soon.

Ownership is good old boys club

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsWorks to stay competitive within the industry to a point.

ConsDistrust at every level of the company. Owners are completely out of touch, trust management way too much, and the management instills a constant simmering negative attitude. Departments do not trust each other, department heads talk bad about management behind their backs, praise them in meetings. Sales people are shown no respect, management actively works to undercut sales people with regional competition and internal accounts. This is a very unhealthy place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of top management, quit hiring friends, and enough already with "team" activities that waste time and do nothing, as your management does zero to support this ideology.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company to work for! By far the Best I ever worked for.

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Fresno, CA

ProsVisionOne Inc. is a very stable company. Their Business Model makes sense and I like the fact that they operate in 3 different Continents. I hope I can travel one day to Brazil or Europe :)

Since I work in Software development its very important for me to use the newst Tools. VisionOne is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and has access to all the new Tools. I wish I would have more time to play around with them but then again this is work and not the playground.

I am very happy to work here and will stay around for a while.

ConsSince they are a relative small company here in Fresno CA it takes longer to get a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more highly skilled .NET Developers

Worked for VisionOne Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VisionOne Inc. reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by VisionOne Inc. employees.