VisionWorks

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.5

CEO

Pros
  • 2 free pair of glasses every year (in 8 reviews)

• The benefits are nice, a free pair of glasses with whatever you want on it every year (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • that is acceptable verbiage from upper management to store employees (in 7 reviews)

• Only full time positions for managers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

company with growth opportunities

I have been working at VisionWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

as the company grows - so do the opportunities. Visionworks is opening more stores each year. as with any kind of growth there are some "pains" and new discoveries. i think Visionworks is a great place to work - you just have to have a little patience while they catch up on operational technology.

Cons

keep focus on customers and delivering exceptional customer service. Associate need to feel that they have the ability to impact the brand and what the customers perception is. Don't focus on the numbers - just what's best for the customer.

challenge your associates to think outside the box. not everything fits into the "plan". the best ideas come from those who do!

Store management makes all the difference

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Southeast Owasco, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Southeast Owasco, NY

I have been working at VisionWorks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing insurance

Customer friendly retail methods

KPI's are mostly fair

Cross training opportunities give more advancement potential

Growing company

Cons

Must be willing to follow program for success

Lack of clear guidelines and expectations for advancement

Company does not define what they value

Installed management not always representative of the values claimed by the company

QICPAIL exists to create an identity for the company. These concepts need to be embraced and utilized when picking store management and the faces that represent the company. The focus on numbers is understandable; the weekly call completely focused on digital progressives is over the top and in contrast to the concepts of the SERVE process. TD's need to be sure that store management is trained to manage and lead, and are not just sales specialists. Finally, TDM's are nowhere near as available as needed because they are massively overloaded. Each territory needs a pair of TDM's to ensure proper lab care. The lab may not make money, but they guarantee that money returns in a huge way.

Not as they claim to be

I have been working at VisionWorks full-time

Pros

Decent Pay and Decent Hours

Cons

Do not deliver what they promise

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy going environment

Current Employee - Optician  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Optician in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at VisionWorks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, freedom to make decisions in order to make customers happy, great lab support, quality products (lenses, coatings and materials)

Cons

Frame selection could have been better, sometimes really pushy about goals.

More training and mentoring for new people would be useful

Go elsewhere

Current Employee - Ews
    Current Employee - Ews

I have been working at VisionWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most coworkers in the stores help each other and some managers in the stores arent bad

Cons

Corporate is a bunch of money hungry people who force you to sell products the customer doesnt need. If you dont thwy will ride your back about numbers everyday until you do

Keep your head down

Started Loving it and Ended up hating it!

I have been working at VisionWorks part-time for more than a year

Pros

Get free glasses each year.

Cons

Upper Management are like vultures over you about sales and are never happy with the sales that an employee makes especially if you only sale one pair. The company does not care about its customers nor employees because their too busy trying to find ways to not give any raises and raise prices to make profit. But I guess that's most companies. Were not only sales people but were also telemarketers. This company would be great if it weren't all about sales sales sales! Our commission goes up in levels. However, it doesn't matter if your at the top level because at the start of each year everybody starts from the bottom, so its like if they were taking away a part of your paycheck. These are only half my complaints about this company.

I believe that the upper management is putting on so much pressure that employees are losing motivation to sale and the company has also lost its vision to help its customers.

You aren't that important

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at VisionWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, great pay, great bonus

Cons

Managers stand in the front of the store and do nothing while their employees run around trying to do everything. Customers get mad and the managers can't do anything about it.

Put your customers first!

A good job for the right kind of person.

Current Employee - Optician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Optician in New York, NY

I have been working at VisionWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good job security if you are competent at your job. Great, because we are a union state. If nit wasn't for the union, it would be a different story. Great vacation benefit, low salary for NY, 1 wk sick, 6 paid holidays.

Cons

The company, and the job are all about numbers; selling the products the company wants sold. Meeting the company 'standards'; 55% non Glare, 25% multiple pair sales and 55% premium product. I have been selling eye-wear for a long while, I don't need to sell to "standards'. Sometimes people just don't want a lot of that stuff. Management says, 'well that's fine, our job is to make these things available to all our customers"- the next morning though it's "our numbers are down, you didn't make standards...etc etc." We have to see people who have medicaid and other plans that don't even allow upgrades, they all get factored into the numbers even though I can't upgrade these people. I don't object to the company wanting me to make good sales, they do pay me after all, but I do not like to be told what to sell to people. I have a license. I am a practitioner. A brick layer doesn't need non glare lenses on the job.

Can't give advise to management. They can't change what Texas wants.

Growing company

I have been working at VisionWorks

Pros

Great outlook for the future.

Cons

Behind in technology at the store level and at the corporate office.

Terrible place to work if you're a student.

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist

I have been working at VisionWorks part-time for less than a year

Pros

You make commission that increases every $50,000 in sales.
    Free vision insurance and 50% discount after insurance is used as well as for friends and family.

Cons

Part time is ONLY GUARANTEED 4 hours a week, based on performance (or in my case, if the GM likes you or not) and UP TO 20 HOURS a week. So your hours are uneven and unguaranteed.
    Management is completely erratic. The company will train you at one store and work you at another. The way I was trained worked well when I trained and got me i trouble at the other. Corporate keeps changing policies and it causes confusion and frustration with employees and customers. Sales are driven by money and reaching quotas. Nothing else. Dishonest sales.

Treat people like they are valued and have a set policy that your stores follow. Increase pay. People cannot live off of 4 hours a week. Favoritism is not okay from a GM and should be penalized.

Worked for VisionWorks? Contribute to the Community!