VisionWorks

VisionWorks Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

A good job for the right kind of person.

Optician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood job security if you are competent at your job. Great, because we are a union state. If nit wasn't for the union, it would be a different story. Great vacation benefit, low salary for NY, 1 wk sick, 6 paid holidays.

ConsThe company, and the job are all about numbers; selling the products the company wants sold. Meeting the company 'standards'; 55% non Glare, 25% multiple pair sales and 55% premium product. I have been selling eye-wear for a long while, I don't need to sell to "standards'. Sometimes people just don't want a lot of that stuff. Management says, 'well that's fine, our job is to make these things available to all our customers"- the next morning though it's "our numbers are down, you didn't make standards...etc etc." We have to see people who have medicaid and other plans that don't even allow upgrades, they all get factored into the numbers even though I can't upgrade these people. I don't object to the company wanting me to make good sales, they do pay me after all, but I do not like to be told what to sell to people. I have a license. I am a practitioner. A brick layer doesn't need non glare lenses on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't give advise to management. They can't change what Texas wants.

Growing company

ProsGreat outlook for the future.

ConsBehind in technology at the store level and at the corporate office.

Less than great

Optician (Former Employee)
    Flagstaff, AZ

ProsEntry level job for a good long term career. Works around school schedule. Decent pay and good discount if you need glasses.

ConsPoor working conditions, management only cares about numbers and not people not customers. Not much upward mobility. Would rather hire new than promote.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealistic reward program needed. No recognition for exceeding goals, only how you can do "better".

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operations a little out of date, but good job with room to grow

ProsThey have multiple facets of the parent company, so there are a lot of avenues available to further your career. There are also many locations across the country, so movement is always possible.

ConsSystems in place seem out of date, not very time efficient. Seems focus is put on opening more locations, rather than improving the current locations for the customers and associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementShop other retail chains, compare not prices-but systems in place, and how the business is presented to the customer. Think from a consumer standpoint, not a management standpoint.

Horrible!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    DFW, TX

Proslots of advancement opportunities because of high turnover.

Consmicro managers, upselling is a must-even if it isnt a benefit to customer. product of labs is awful. long hours, high turnover.

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to employees in the stores and u will find out what needs changed-ALOT!

Rewarding those who could care less and punish those who have the slightest bit of integrity and work ethic

Third Key (Current Employee)
    Wauwatosa, WI

ProsEntry level friendly, free glasses and contacts annually. There is a great chance to help clients and grow a loyal customer base.

ConsI've been working for the company for over 5 years, and in that time I have had 6 GMs. I should have known they were bad news when open enrollment came around and my GM signed my paperwork for me! I called HR because I was fairly new to the company and the only thing they did about it was to tell the GM exactly what I called them about. Several stores have lost their entire staff and had to start from scratch, the turnover rate is obscene, but that's how they get away with paying employees such unlivable wages. GMs rarely are given time to live outside employment, no vacations, no family time, working for peanuts over 60 hours a week until they can be replaced. My KPI's have always been well above company standards, but this year when our reviews came up I was denied a raise. Those who rarely show up for their shifts, or when they do come could care less about actually working, were given enormous raises. Now to top it off, our RS leaves in the middle of her shift leaving two EWS to run the store. This company seems to reward those who don't deserve it and punish those who want to work for them. Their tracking systems of sales is quirky and there are always discrepancies, upper management placates complaints, the stores are always understaffed and hours are continually cut, and the computer system is outdated to say the least, all of this destroys good customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting corners, staff your stores like you do in the training videos, reward those who deserve it, get rid of unqualified and undeserving staff, update the computers, and for the love of everything, stop generating so much waste!

Good place to gain experience in commission sales.

OD-tech (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible scheduling. Pretty good pay, considering it's a retail position. GM is easy to talk to when it comes to schedule changes or concerns.

ConsUpper management tends to only care about numbers and what helps them instead of using the core values of being "team players" and giving employees reason to keep working hard.

It really depends on who you work for in your store some coworkers need some Jesus in there life and other are great!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe system is fair when your getting paid. They are recently changing there way of thinking and finally putting the well experience people in each store.

ConsWhen it comes to accountbility they really need to in force the rules and discipline actions to the ones that don't follow the rules to many breaks in my store.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease help the gm's find the right people for each store and keep them positively motivated so they can help each customer that walks in to each store have the best experience in optical care.

Great Company but micro managers

Third Key Holder (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe scheduling is generally very flexible. Co-workers are easy to work with.

ConsTraining needs some updating, Some General Manages are lazy or too controlling.

The unionized stores (NY, MA, RI) have better pay but management appears lost and confused.

Optician (Current Employee)
    Plainview, NY

ProsCo-workers are good and the union negotiated benefits are even better.

ConsManagement is lost. I work in several stores and each one has it's own rules. Managers nit-pik details (like carrying the glasses around on a velvet tray) while customers wait an hour for service. Busy stores are always badly understaffed. Frames are cheap Chinese made junk for the most part. Ordering supplies is a nightmare and we often run out of critical supplies. All management cares about is upsell-upsell-upsell!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some good professional advice on how to run your stores.

Worked for VisionWorks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VisionWorks reviews and ratings. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by VisionWorks employees.