Visionworks Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
133 reviews filtered by
3.1
CEO

Pros
  • The benefits are nice, a free pair of glasses with whatever you want on it every year (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours, worked around school and life schedules (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing was good enough upper management who still found some way to treat you like dirt (in 14 reviews)

• The place where I work now EVERYBODY can bonus including part time employees (in 9 reviews)

1. Learned a lot

Former Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Visionworks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible Hours
    - Good experience in retail

Cons

- There were really any cons

Speak English when at work.

2. TD

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

Amazing company to work for

Cons

There are non I can say.

3. Great part time job

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great customers, decent products, good management support, adequate commission, flexible hours

Cons

Mall hours, base salary too low, working alone, not a sustainable full-time salary

More hours need to be allotted for staff, including full time. You can not keep great employees without better base salary and benefits. 3 weeks vacation for first year full time employees is now standard, not 2.

5. Satisfied with the pay and the employees. Benefits were adequate and patients were great

Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Optometric Technician in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Visionworks (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay compensation was fair, good benefits, fair hours to be working as a full time job. Vacation time was fair but could be more

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth, frames could be better quality overall. Management was fair in their decisions but vacations were hard to take

Explore personal growth a bit more, better benefits for long term employees. Wish they were more family orientated .

6. This is an amazing place to purchase your eyewear and has a lot of amazing people to work with.

I have been working at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Lots of frames to be able to offer your patients. Quality employes and a drug free environment.

Cons

We don't close till nine. Makes got long evenings. Also have to work most holidays.

Pay the managers more. Keep doing a great job if your doing well. If you know your crummy manager step down from your position so we can get a real professional in there.

7. I really like it

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

The co workers are amazing. The manager works with your schedule

Cons

It gets really busy, and some of the customers complain a lot

8. Work your passionate about .... But the coworkers make it difficult because they're not

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in New York, NY

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great with commission
    Training sessions to become better sales optician

Cons

No room for improvement because they give their friends first preference
    Promotion should be based on merit and hard work not recommendations from friends ( which make the person not capable to handle the job)
    Even though your "not capable " for promotion you pick up the slack from the others and it goes un-noticed.
    It's blatant favoritism for advancement

Please don't over look people in your company whose capable of adding value to it. You should allow fair opportunities for advancement in your company. You should check all possiblity with employees who show interest in your company wellbeing.

9. Hit or miss depending on location. Fairest **opinion** on Visionworks.

Current Employee - GM RS EWS OD TECH in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - GM RS EWS OD TECH in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company provides loads of training materials and helps build knowledge on optics. Knowledge = helping "SERVE" patients better. Personally, I like how Visionworks set up guidelines to help anyone step into medical sales, whether the new hire is coming from no background on optics, no retail experience, and/or the alternative where coming from optical background but it helps making the sale process goes faster (giving that the store is higher volume) without sacrificing the experience and the quality of the patient's time. Excellent balance between the medical/manufacturing/retail industries. Advancement is easily done given you have a General Manager that likes you and that your sales performance is consistence. Benefits are provided and given covered pair of eyewear every year and you also get an exam. Hours may or may not work in your favor, you will have to open and close certain days which will give you constant flexibility. Weekends are required but you're in retail. Get over it. Commission is fantastic given you sell often. Disclaimer; not all position will be selling therefore you shouldn't bank on commission if you're an Optometric Tech, but this does vary by locations. The struggle for most optician is that where do you want to work? Corporate or private practices? There is advantages to both. Corporate gives you more room for advancement and great benefit packages. Paid vacation, personal, holidays and networking opportunities. You'll received support if you ask, some upper-management are beyond willing to help if you ask. Optics is tricky and even the people who've been vetted as veterans here are still stump by it. Great system of support. If you keep good relations, you can work between stores and benefit from experience.

Cons

Okaaayy. This part I will refrain from professional and bump it down to a semi-professional demeanor, otherwise I can't provide an honest opinion. Note that I've been thorough with Visionworks, worked at many different locations and invested myself within this cliquey territory. This is my perspective and yes, parts will sound bitter, bias, and bashful. Keep in mind that I've seen plenty and I'll be as fair as I can. Even though the "Cons" section is longer than the "Pros", I'm still with the company and gave it 4 out of 5 ratings. Am I happy here or do I enjoy misery? You decide. Where to start?

I think this company is great but the people in it (given not all but a strong few) can ruin it for you. There is many different ways that can happen. You can have total disobedient members of your team that will do what they can to make you think twice on why you ask for an application. On the other hand, a strong handful of people whom been with the company for a long time that is very self entitled, I mean it. The level of self entitlement is on a different level, passive aggressive condescending shots are routine on all the conference calls (which is too often per week if you're an GM). The point I don't get is that you've been a GM for less than 2 years, failed at meeting goals and company standards, have the highest turnaround rate for employees, and display poor leadership to your staff and peers and yet you're deemed "Best GM". Good covering up, TD. We all know what's up. Okay, passive aggressive rant done. But to what I was referencing earlier about people who can ruin(a potentially great job/career) is that the accountability isn't fair. You will be held to a different standard depending on where you work and who is in charge. You can easily be shown a write up if you show up late or didn't meet company sales standards whence your peers will get a slap on the wrist, it's the passive aggressiveness. If that does happen, find another job, they're forcing you out. The company doesn't like to fire anyone unless it's dire. They'll force you out instead so they can save the headache from unemployment. Smarter managers cozy up with the Territory Director and become a pawn instead of a target. The manipulation will make it's presence be known. Entry level hires are hit or miss. Sometimes you hire a great individual and they click. Other times you feel as if you are surrounded by people who are recruited by highfiving the unemployment line front of K-Mart.

"It's retail, get over it" That saying can be swung to give you a push to keep moving bout your day or it will ruin you. Remember, you are in the retail business but any optician knows that patients comes first.(Let's take a detour for a brief moment. As you see, I reference to our source of revenue as patients instead of customers. Often the company reminds you that these people are dollar signs. They only enforce you to sell as much as they patient can afford because we're in retail and we want to use the fact that we are labeled as a medical dispensary to maximize our sales. Yes, that is what they need to do to flourish in the business world, it's okay for your moral compass to waver. When the company encourage you better SERVE your patient, the directive is to pucker up and milk them for what their worth.) The company standard for what you need to sell is fair, but they'll handicap you by promoting the worst sales to drag in the type of "Walmart-ers". Cheap, rude, and unconventional yet you are encourage to bank $250 to $600 off these people who were bait into coming in with the notion "Hey, super cheap glasses. 69 dollars". Then comes the pitch, the up charges, and then the explanation that why the advertisement is vague. It's like we're David, strive to become a strong competitor and triumph over our Goliath, Lens Crafter. But we can't due to our lack of proper guidance, and Lens Crafter isn't such a feat where we need to prove ourself but we are constantly sacrificing quality for quantity, then decide we want both.

To conclude, I left many things out because it's not worth putting it out in the open. Overall, the people you work with matter. I've seen cases where we have such potential but they left due to poor management and management lack of respect for their work. When you have such a huge group of people across the cities, politics and internal feuding will occur. Debate are settled but the person who has the most influence on the management above will come out on top. If your boss get hounded down by their boss for not meeting their numbers, you'll be counted as casualties because they'll come down on you as well. Doctors are Visionworks employed, they're really nice but expect social awkwardness.

"The Company", when I use that word and I do quite a bit in my review, to me it means the message was pass down through game of telephone. The company's directive isn't bad or as twisted but it's where you hear from and most of the time it's the territory director. "We now have digital progressive!" and the message we got is "Sell digital progressive exclusively." Be fair to your GMs' and their staff. A lot of things are in our control but somethings we can't help. Here's a paradox, if you're going to be unfair, be unfair consistently. A lot of things can swept under the rug without the proper people being alerted. You can't keep an eye on everything especially a company this big so you trust your management to do so, but what if their stained? Keep the TD on their toes and they will the same with the GMs. Not in a malicious way, explain why this is happening.

10. Fun, and good atmosphere

Current Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

friendly staff, and friendly and understanding upper management.

Cons

opportunity for advancement is slow, dress code is strictly enforced

personal growth and room for advancement

11. Accountability

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

Challenging, yet rewarding environment in which we are empowered to put the customer first. The expectations are clearly outlined. The performance management process in place is geared toward improving results, not just a fast track to letting go of associates who do not exceed expectations.

Cons

This is not a job for someone who does not want to be the best they can be. This is not a job for someone who does not welcome feedback about their performance. This is not a job for someone who does not want to work hard.

To Visionworks Management: Thanks for acknowledging us when we do well and continually providing tools and training so we can be the best for the customers. Please continue to simplify processes and maximize the best merchandise. The customer is the reason we are here. We want to be able to offer them exciting products and focus on them.