Visionworks Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
CEO

Pros
  • 2 free pair of glasses every year (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours, worked around school and life schedules (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing was good enough upper management who still found some way to treat you like dirt (in 14 reviews)

• The place where I work now EVERYBODY can bonus including part time employees (in 9 reviews)

1. No longer about the customer

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Visionworks as a company is great. I have always loved working for them until recently. They have great benefits for their employees. Helping patients pick out glasses is so much fun. Seeing the joy it brings them is great.

Cons

The problem with visionworks is that it isn't about the patients anymore. It's all about hitting numbers. If you don't hit the goals they ask of you they are drilling you. The TD's make promises they don't keep. Most of the people they hire are not cut out for the job but yet they still hire them making everyone's life hell at work. Making them have to work harder than they need to. The place has become a joke.

Advice to Management

Keep promises and don't expect ridiculous goals from us. Stop hounding us every 5 minutes about not making the ridiculous goals.

Solid if overly corporate company to work for.

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid pay and with commissions starting at 2% of sales and moving up o 4% you have a chance to make a decent pay check. Strong career opportunities in a growing company.

Cons

Can be a little stuffy to work at and the dress code is a little over the top with allowing employees to only wear red, black or white if your paying entry level people 10 bucks an hour don't expect them to wear jacket and tie's to work. Stores seem to be in a constant state of understaffed due to the limit on hour by corporate which makes it difficult to take care of every patient during peek hours.

3. Retail Store Manager

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Visionworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people, training program, great people, professional environment, fantastic people, fair compensation for the level of understanding that leaders have when you have a personal situation come up, and did I mention the people are incredible? :)

Cons

It's not a con, but a word of advice for anyone that is looking to get into it, it is VERY rewarding because you are helping someone improve their eye health, but if you are from retail and have allot of experience, and feel that experience is sufficient, then you will be shocked, be open minded and willing to learn something totally different, and it will be an amazing experience!

Advice to Management

Thank you from a former store manager to the district leader in the Houston Market for being so understanding, I had to leave, but Visionworks will always be a company I would recommend to career minded folks as well as potential customers/ patients.

Visionworks Has Gone Downhill

Former Employee - Lab Supervisor in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Lab Supervisor in Eugene, OR

I worked at Visionworks

Pros

I loved my job and loved what I did, specifically helping people and improving their lives. I was with the company for 22 years so I saw the changes over the years.

Cons

The political crap of dealing with the higher-ups (TD and above), just got to be too much. It stopped being about helping customers and all about hoops to jump through. After 22 years, I just couldn't handle dealing with my TD.

6. Retail Superior

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training in the career development program to become a Gm. Learned a lot more that I thought I would.

Cons

there are stores open for a Gm.

Advice to Management

To premot with in the company, with already trained staff.

Retail Supervisor

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free eye exam and pair of glasses every year -Great benefits for full-time employees (medical, dental, 401K, PTO) -Pretty much guaranteed 40 hours per week for Retail Supervisors -Great opportunity to learn basic optical knowledge, such as lensometry, what the numbers and symbols on the prescription means, how different lenses help or hinder a patient's eyesight, etc. which you can definitely take with you to other jobs -Opportunities to earn commission -The other associates and doctors are very friendly and willing to help -Having the chance to help patients see and to better their lives in the long run is very rewarding

Cons

-The General Manager is a boss, not a leader. Their role on paper requires leadership, but it is never practiced. Lack of leadership ruins the team's morale and in turn leads to a lack of respect for upper management since they do nothing to reprimand the GMs. -There is no room for growth. The company would rather pluck a random person off the street than promote from within. Either that or you will have to brown-nose like crazy to the Territory Director. -Sales goals are ridiculous. There used to be 4 KPIs to worry about when I first started. Now there are 8. Majority of the KPIs is something so minuscule in the grand scheme of things that is obvious they just want to milk as much money out of the customer as possible. -The mentality of the company is that patients are not patients, they are customers. We want their money, and we want all of it. -It becomes a very soul-sucking environment in between patient interactions because when your supervisor coaches you, there's always something negative that you need to work on because you didn't hit every single KPI... even though the patient walked out of the store happy with their purchase because they got what they wanted within their budget based on your professional recommendations. Visionworks doesn't understand the concept of compromise. Of course almost everyone would benefit from getting a designer frame with the best non-glare treatment with Trivex lenses with the warranty and a lens care kit... actually make that 2 because they want each customer to walk out with 2 pairs no matter what. But if the patient can't afford $500+ in glasses, that will be coming down on you that you did not "SERVE" them correctly. -If you met your goal on everything, they WILL find something else to do a redundant weekly conference call about, keeping you and the GM... the LEADERS OF THE STORE, away from the sales floor and the other associates. -Commission tiers went from laughable to "what were they thinking, this is horrible!"

Advice to Management

-Every year, during employee reviews, give the associates a chance to also anonymously review the GM or give suggestions to the GM about how to better the store. I've had this done at my previous job and my manager actually was very thankful for the feedback and adjusted his actions during the year accordingly. This will help the TD see that the GMs they're supervising are being held accountable for their actions. -GMs must have a way to clock in and out of their shift. TDs currently have no way to make sure that the GMs are indeed working their scheduled hours. -Treat patients like patients, not a giant wallet with legs. They're coming to us because they need to see. Please stop taking advantage of that. One way to help is to reduce the amount of KPIs being tracked. Another way is to praise the associates who sent patients home with smiles, not find a way to pull them down.

Licensed Optician

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff. Beautiful updated stores.

Cons

Management micro manages. Not flexible. Unreachable sales goals.

Advice to Management

Care more about your associates. Enforce your rules and regulations, if they didn't purchase a warranty and the glasses are 2 years old don't force GM'S to replace glasses at no charge just because a customer complains.

Outlook bleak

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Visionworks (More than a year)

Pros

Associates are hourly plus commision.

Cons

Fulltime hours, part time status. Promotions or raises - dont count on that.

Advice to Management

Give annual raises

10. One of the worst companies in the world

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Visionworks

Pros

There is nothing positive to say

Cons

Treating employees and customers like trash

Advice to Management

Change EVERYTHING

11. Learn things you didn't know

I have been working at Visionworks full-time

Pros

They offer a really good training program to provide the knowledge to become a specialist good pay for students advancement opportunities awesome coworkers

Cons

commision rate could be a little higher need to be more flexible with schedule

RSS Feed </> Embed