Visionworks

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.6

CEO

Pros
  • The benefits are nice, a free pair of glasses with whatever you want on it every year (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours, worked around school and life schedules (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing was good enough upper management who still found some way to treat you like dirt (in 14 reviews)

• The place where I work now EVERYBODY can bonus including part time employees (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

They are a number driven company

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging, never boring

Cons

Open 7 days a week,

Bad working environment if you don't "luck out" with a good store

Former Employee - OD Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - OD Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Visionworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I learned a lot of useful skills at Visionworks...how to pretest people coming in for eye exams, verify insurances, teach people how to put in and remove their new contact lenses, etc. The "OD Coordinator" position is basically being an assistant to the Optometrist. It's also a position you can feel good about.

Cons

The overall environment varies from store to store. The store that I trained at was really nice where everyone was respectful of one another and acted cohesively to make the store and the workday more pleasant. Stores like that seem to be dying out. After my training I worked at three other locations that were all NEW stores and they were all horrible. Disrespect, discrimination, jealousy, playing favorites, undermining good employees, while the bad ones seem to have management wrapped around their finger, even driving a hostile environment by reminding us all on an almost daily basis that "you don't need to be friends (with your coworkers)"...the list goes on...the job itself is good, but management can really make or break the experience.

Used to be a good company to work for , when it was empire vision , and then Texas sunk their claws into us

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

Good pay and vacation. We're part of the few union stores, so they do help to protect us from corporate bs

Cons

Sell sell sell crap to everyone, even if they don't need it

If we in the stors did our jobs half as crappy as the Texas employees did, we'd all have been fired. No accountability , no phone calls returned

Sell sell Push!

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast action, always pushing for the sale makes the day go quick!!

Cons

The product is cheap and do not hold up for very long.

Stop trying to swindle people. Just give them there Rx if they want to go somewhere else.

So so

I have been working at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Commission on sales is good, as long as you can actually enter them. Learn a lot about the doctors side and how eyewear is made

Cons

Management likes to listen to "complaints" without asking what really happened. Sales can be stolen out from under you if you step off the floor. Berated by management for little things, that they then go and do the next day.

Listen to employees more, be consistent with managing employees. Be consistent with store/company policies, and don't change just because the customer it's upset that the glasses they bought almost a year ago broke, and the want everything and the kitchen sink for free

Great starting point

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

They offer a lot of cross training and lots of books to learn if your willing to put in the time. Many stores really care about you personally and can be a great place. You can try out didn't stores if they need help and they are always running some sort of incentive prize (like whoever sells the most in their category sunglasses wins a pair) the commission is nice if you work sales (starts 1.9) and it can really add up

Cons

Some locations they don't bother learning and it shows, lazy employees, messy stores, and management that doesn't care. People can be cut throat about commission and run you over. And if your not making the numbers they want expect a taking too

They need to promote in company a lot more, there is a joke that to get promoted you'll need to quit and go to lenscrafters first. That we just hire their leftovers for management. Everyone says it just not to your face that we know you do it.

Alright to get experience

Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Binghamton, NY
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant in Binghamton, NY

I worked at Visionworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was alright money for being in college. I learned a lot about business.

Cons

Hard to move up. Most managers are hired in with no experience for some reason and are usually less qualified than you and do a horrible job.

Go to college, read a book, and don't be-little your employees.

Good Company Training

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Key West, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Key West, FL

I worked at Visionworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good Learning experience in the optical world. Decent Job Hours

Cons

Low Wages, no room for growth

Life changing

Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a positive person that is willing to work hard, you will advance in this company. Visionworks promotes from within whenever possible. This company sees your strengths and utilizes them. Offers a 3 week training program to new employees and always puts the customer first.

Cons

1984 POS. Recently went EMR, hopefully will be using more emails and less fax machine

Hire more RVPs like Vinnie. Dedicated to the company and passionate about selecting the right people.

Lose Lose either way it goes

I worked at Visionworks

Pros

You have employment and it's not McDonald's.
    You get to dress up everyday

Cons

You can do all you can to maximize your sale and the customer gets the cheapest of the cheap but the kicker is you get penalize. Retail supervisors and GM don't do a good job of delegating sales. Pretty much If it's you and a member of management working that day you won't hit your sales goal. They're like lions over antelope. Quite a few lions can feed off one but when you come around they hog the antelope all to themselves. When you try to hunt your own antelope (customer) they come swoop in and take your kill despite them not being done with their own meal!

Team oriented goals as a whole.
    Eliminate individual sales goals.
    Regionals checking with eyewear specialists to make sure everything in terms of being a member of the staff is fair. Regional managers have to understand an employee isn't just a sales number