Visionworks Reviews

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
2.6

CEO

Pros
  • The benefits are nice, a free pair of glasses with whatever you want on it every year (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours, worked around school and life schedules (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing was good enough upper management who still found some way to treat you like dirt (in 14 reviews)

• The place where I work now EVERYBODY can bonus including part time employees (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Life changing

Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a positive person that is willing to work hard, you will advance in this company. Visionworks promotes from within whenever possible. This company sees your strengths and utilizes them. Offers a 3 week training program to new employees and always puts the customer first.

Cons

1984 POS. Recently went EMR, hopefully will be using more emails and less fax machine

Hire more RVPs like Vinnie. Dedicated to the company and passionate about selecting the right people.

Good start to Optical Sales BUT terrible Corporation

Former Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Visionworks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Manager was flexible with hours and time off. Laid-back atmosphere for the most part (Could vary depending on General Manager). Good start to optical sales to learn the basics and gain experience.

Cons

Company only cares about sales stats. You could meet your daily/ weekly goal, but if you did not sell enough anti-glare or high index lenses, then your performance was frowned upon. Also, the store promotions are stupid. There are way too many promotions being offered at once, which only confuses the customers and makes it more difficult to meet sales goals.

Limit the number of promotions offered at a time. Depending on the sale, the ending balance could be $100 cheaper if it is calculated under one promotion vs. the other. This only confuses customers and employees. Applaud the sales numbers, not fine details of what is being sold. Not every customer needs a designer frame holding transition digital lenses and a "free" pair of sunglasses under the BOGO sale.

Poor

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, worked around school and life schedules.

Cons

Working with managers who are not well trained or have never been trained.

Slowly Declining

Current Employee - Journeyman
    Current Employee - Journeyman

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, semi flexible hours, paid holidays, sundays off

Cons

Incompetent managers, restrictive dress code (red, black, or white and solid colors only). Pay increases are minute and performance increases are nearly impossible to get.

Value your hourly, union workers more than you do. Acknowledge our issues, even if they seem petty to you. Screen your lower management more thoroughly. Don't leave policies open to such wide interpretation. Allow us to use all the colors to dress. Our morale has suffered greatly since this merger.

company with growth opportunities

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

as the company grows - so do the opportunities. Visionworks is opening more stores each year. as with any kind of growth there are some "pains" and new discoveries. i think Visionworks is a great place to work - you just have to have a little patience while they catch up on operational technology.

Cons

keep focus on customers and delivering exceptional customer service. Associate need to feel that they have the ability to impact the brand and what the customers perception is. Don't focus on the numbers - just what's best for the customer.

challenge your associates to think outside the box. not everything fits into the "plan". the best ideas come from those who do!

Terrible

I worked at Visionworks

Pros

Some of the staff if great

Cons

One of the worst places I've ever worked for. They not only treat you like garbage but they they force you to do things you.may bit want to do. They make you get a license you have no intention on having and worst of all when I was moving on to something in my field they told me after they forced me to get the license that I had to pay 400 dollars for it before I quit. When I told them I felt that wasn't right they just up and took the money out of my paycheck. I also tried to put in a notice for leaving and they told me they were going to put me on a don't hire again list anyways. The atmosphere of the work was bad the job was bad and the manager was by far the worst. She was very inconsiderate to her staff and she treated them like they were her slaves and they had to do everything her way or she would make there lives a nightmare at work.

Stop screwing over your employees they ate the ones that do the hard work and don't steal from them own up to what you made them do and make them feel happy to have worked for a company like this. Learn to treat the associates with respect and create an atmosphere not so hostile.

"Directors and above" is all that matter to Corporate/San Antonio

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Corporate Office is filled with a diverse mix of talented and fun people.

Cons

If you work here you will see and hear the phrase "Directors and above" quite often. Because that is all this companies cares about. They are the only staff who receive bonus and therefore they collectively protect each other at all cost. The Human Resources Department should be renamed the "directors and above" protection bureau.

Trust your talent pool. It's the greatest resource. Eliminate the "good ole boy" philosophy and get rid of that "special consultant" from Denver who serves no purpose. Maybe also investigate why your ambitious talent is leaving en masse.

Store management makes all the difference

Current Employee - Supervisor in Southeast Owasco, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Southeast Owasco, NY

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing insurance

Customer friendly retail methods

KPI's are mostly fair

Cross training opportunities give more advancement potential

Growing company

Cons

Must be willing to follow program for success

Lack of clear guidelines and expectations for advancement

Company does not define what they value

Installed management not always representative of the values claimed by the company

QICPAIL exists to create an identity for the company. These concepts need to be embraced and utilized when picking store management and the faces that represent the company. The focus on numbers is understandable; the weekly call completely focused on digital progressives is over the top and in contrast to the concepts of the SERVE process. TD's need to be sure that store management is trained to manage and lead, and are not just sales specialists. Finally, TDM's are nowhere near as available as needed because they are massively overloaded. Each territory needs a pair of TDM's to ensure proper lab care. The lab may not make money, but they guarantee that money returns in a huge way.

Not as they claim to be

I have been working at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Decent Pay and Decent Hours

Cons

Do not deliver what they promise

Go elsewhere

Current Employee - Ews
    Current Employee - Ews

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most coworkers in the stores help each other and some managers in the stores arent bad

Cons

Corporate is a bunch of money hungry people who force you to sell products the customer doesnt need. If you dont thwy will ride your back about numbers everyday until you do

Keep your head down