Visionworks

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
2.8

CEO

Pros
  • The benefits are nice, a free pair of glasses with whatever you want on it every year (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours, worked around school and life schedules (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Nothing was good enough upper management who still found some way to treat you like dirt (in 14 reviews)

• The place where I work now EVERYBODY can bonus including part time employees (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

HORRIBLE.... They only care about the bottom line, money as long as you are making it for them..

Former Employee - Receptionist in Paducah, KY
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Paducah, KY

I worked at Visionworks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

i enjoyed working with the people, it was a great experience. i did learn a lot from the Doctors i worked with and for that i am very thankful..

Cons

Management is all about the bottom line... they claim to be family oriented and flexible, from my experience I found this to be far from the truth...They do not believe in hiring from within , would rather hire someone off the street .and then throw them in to a management position..

They really need to look at the people working for them and value the ones who do a good job , and show them that the are valued..

Sales driven workforce

Former Employee - Third Key Management in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Third Key Management in Norman, OK

I worked at Visionworks

Pros

Professional good commission great staff

Cons

Evenings and weekends few holidays off

They are a number driven company

Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Retail Supervisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging, never boring

Cons

Open 7 days a week,

If you want to be discriminated

Current Employee - General Manager in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Visionworks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good bonus

Cons

Awful territory director for my region, lots of bs makes the pay not worth it

Fire and replace heartless directors

O.D. Tech

Former Employee - O D Tech in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - O D Tech in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Visionworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a great Doctor.

Cons

Location was in Crystal Lake which was about a 45min drive for me to work.

Should focus on management because they are dis honest.

Bad working environment if you don't "luck out" with a good store

Former Employee - OD Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - OD Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Visionworks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot of useful skills at Visionworks...how to pretest people coming in for eye exams, verify insurances, teach people how to put in and remove their new contact lenses, etc. The "OD Coordinator" position is basically being an assistant to the Optometrist. It's also a position you can feel good about.

Cons

The overall environment varies from store to store. The store that I trained at was really nice where everyone was respectful of one another and acted cohesively to make the store and the workday more pleasant. Stores like that seem to be dying out. After my training I worked at three other locations that were all NEW stores and they were all horrible. Disrespect, discrimination, jealousy, playing favorites, undermining good employees, while the bad ones seem to have management wrapped around their finger, even driving a hostile environment by reminding us all on an almost daily basis that "you don't need to be friends (with your coworkers)"...the list goes on...the job itself is good, but management can really make or break the experience.

Used to be a good company to work for , when it was empire vision , and then Texas sunk their claws into us

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

Good pay and vacation. We're part of the few union stores, so they do help to protect us from corporate bs

Cons

Sell sell sell crap to everyone, even if they don't need it

If we in the stors did our jobs half as crappy as the Texas employees did, we'd all have been fired. No accountability , no phone calls returned

So so

I have been working at Visionworks full-time

Pros

Commission on sales is good, as long as you can actually enter them. Learn a lot about the doctors side and how eyewear is made

Cons

Management likes to listen to "complaints" without asking what really happened. Sales can be stolen out from under you if you step off the floor. Berated by management for little things, that they then go and do the next day.

Listen to employees more, be consistent with managing employees. Be consistent with store/company policies, and don't change just because the customer it's upset that the glasses they bought almost a year ago broke, and the want everything and the kitchen sink for free

Great starting point

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

They offer a lot of cross training and lots of books to learn if your willing to put in the time. Many stores really care about you personally and can be a great place. You can try out didn't stores if they need help and they are always running some sort of incentive prize (like whoever sells the most in their category sunglasses wins a pair) the commission is nice if you work sales (starts 1.9) and it can really add up

Cons

Some locations they don't bother learning and it shows, lazy employees, messy stores, and management that doesn't care. People can be cut throat about commission and run you over. And if your not making the numbers they want expect a taking too

They need to promote in company a lot more, there is a joke that to get promoted you'll need to quit and go to lenscrafters first. That we just hire their leftovers for management. Everyone says it just not to your face that we know you do it.

Sell sell Push!

Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Visionworks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fast action, always pushing for the sale makes the day go quick!!

Cons

The product is cheap and do not hold up for very long.

Stop trying to swindle people. Just give them there Rx if they want to go somewhere else.