Visiting Nurse Health System

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Oshnock

Home Health Nursing

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThis company is great for nurses seeking an opportunity with patients in their home setting. It offers autonomy, flexibility, and training which provide a good environment for a more enjoyable nurse and patient interaction.

Conshigh staff and management turn over

No Improvement in years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers and patients, opportunity to learn

ConsUnstable staff, changes in management with no explanation. Not notified that executive director was gone until gone several weeks. Opportunities come and go, same people are tapped for opinion over and over, no opportunity for input and opinion of all. Horrible health insurance, many in office do not attend to health care needs due to expense, in the long run more expense is incurred due to putting off tests, follow up and medications recommended by doctor. Is this appropriate for a healthcare provider?

Advice to Senior ManagementField clinicians encounter numerous examples of no accountability in the field every day, no follow up, poor care and favoritism by management. The more visits the more respect, not the example we should be sending. The clinicians who provide excellent care and do a normal 6 point day are frowned upon and not team players! What do you want more visits done poorly or a good job done in an eight hour day?

The CEO is under an illusion as to why there is high turn over

ProsBenefits and coworkers are the pros.

ConsDuring orientation, the CEO predicts that many won't make it 6 mths. Spend some time in the offices. Watch the schedulers badger RNs/LPNs to take additional patients. You burn us out, so we go where we can see a reasonable case load. We are paid per visit, so of course we would like to see as many visits as possible. At some point the quality declines and enough is enough. It is not unusual to get a call that the admit nurses are full and can you help us as we have 10 uncovered admits. There is huge pressure to take on more visits every single day. I can not have my day planned at 8:00am like the CEO can because I am getting scheduler calls at 9:00am and 10:00am with additional assignments. It makes it hard to adhere to the patient rights of knowing when their nurse is coming.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement the regulatory required SOC/ROC/RCT/Problematic multidiscipline (including the aides, social workers, PT/PTA, OT/COTA, ST, RN/LPN) weekly conferences. I have to try to find out from my patients what the plan is for the other disciplines. Have managers that are actually in the office more days than not. Some managers think the field folks get assistance from the office staff and that is not usually the case. The CEO and senior leaders should spend a day in an office every quarter and ride with a clinician in the field every quarter. Four offices and four quarters. You will easily understand your turn over and opportunity for improvement. By the way, JACHO has a different survey focus than the State, so don't let a super JACHO survey lull you into further complacency Mr. Oshnock, it is time for you to get your finger on the pulse. It is apparent that you really just do not know.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company you don't want to work under.

Staff RN (Former Employee)

ProsI was paid on time.

ConsFirst, the orientation left a bitter taste in my mouth by one of the CEOs statement that most of us would not be there or make it six months. Orientation wwas subpar at best and i was expected to be on my own one day when one of the nurses called in sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more help...

No Communication Health Care

ProsComfortable work Environment, Salary decent, Friendly coworkers

ConsNo one is held accountable for their actions. Other employees can talk down to you, show up late multiple days a week, call out constantly, not take calls, not return messages and so on and so forth without any re-precautions. The communication within this company is non-existent. The field clinicians ( Not all but a good amount) do not communicate with their patients, we get complaints about this constantly. Certain branch employees never take calls or when they do answer they refuse the call. Work morale has gone done immensely because of these issues and has made it almost unbearable to come to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication needs to worked on greatly for this company and you need to hold employees accountable for their actions.

Poorly managed, financially strapped, unstable organization

ProsPatients seem grateful for the work of our clinicians. Co-workers are generally friendly.

ConsDon't expect to feel very secure about your job. VNHS consistently struggles to make payroll, which has resulted in yearly mass layoffs, stagnant wages, and unmanageable workloads. The main problem is a lack of communication between departments, from those responsible for accepting referrals to the people in charge of billing claims. Management is unwilling to receive advice from employees, often preferring to hire costly consultants that make time intensive, unproductive changes to the company. Often a department will shut down in corporate with all laid off, only for senior management to realize the mistake and create a very similar department months later with new, less compensated hires.

Rewarding, challenging and yet an outstanding place to work at times.

PHYSICIAN SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe relationship with your co-worlers, the phyicians and the staff of the physicians.

ConsLack of communication between management and other departments and management and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication, communication, communication to each other as well as the staff members.

Beware false promises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers, decent pay and benefits. No pressure to inflate number of visits, they let you use your professional judgement for what the patient really needs.

ConsThey promise territories to you during interviews/orientation that don't always exist. Tough getting enough visits for a full paycheck. Computer system is dreadful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a close eye on clinical managers and whether work is being evenly distributed to clinicians.

Well, I guess if you NEED a job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHiring happens quite often for clinical staff due to the amount of turnover.

ConsSupport staff departments seem to always be in a state of flux due to the indecisiveness/inexperience of leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with the skill set for a particular job, then let them use their experience and expertise to do it. Micro-managing is a tiring undertaking for everyone involved.

It's OK

Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, ethical practices, company well established in Atlanta

ConsNo advancement opportunities, unequal treatment of employees (i.e. same job title/salary but some asked to do more work than others, some work less days, etc), no tier system for raises

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your SLPs as you treat others in the company with continuing education opportunities, a tier system for promotion/raises and competitive pay

Worked for Visiting Nurse Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Visiting Nurse Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Visiting Nurse Health System CEO Mark Oshnock. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Visiting Nurse Health System employees.