Visiting Nurse Service of New York

Visiting Nurse Service of New York President & CEO Mary Ann Christopher

Mary Ann Christopher

Not for me

ProsGood benefits, helpful/friendly coworkers

ConsLittle mentorship or discussion of growth/advancement for new employees

Paoli nurse scholar-summer intern

Nurse Scholar (Current Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

ProsThey were very helpful and taught me what to look for when admitting a patient for home care. I got to interview patients, refer patients, evaluate them, and do home visits. It is a great program for students!

ConsI would have liked to have more hands on work with the patients.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease allow students to work with patients in giving care as well, instead of just observing.

Dead end

Administrative Aide (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe mission of this company is great. They do great work . They have a hospice department and they also have other programs that they run, like the Bronx program for young mothers.

ConsLong day, environment can feel dreadful at times . Small cubicles The company is huge and new comers can feel lost at times. Lack of career growth for just graduates.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should facilitate volunteers and intern to obtain open positions in the company. Company is lacking career growth for Just graduates, interns or young volunteers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization that does good work and some of the most amazing people with whom I have worked

New York, NY

ProsThe work matters, the organization has a rich history and is well known in the industry and the market. The name VNSNY goes a long way, and I built some of the most meaningful relationships in my career with the people I was privileged to work alongside every day.

ConsNew CEO and associated leadership has changed the culture and lost some of the elements which made the company so great. Pay was not great as a not-for-profit and limited growth opportunity at senior level without a clinical degree in current environment

Pure Hell!!

Community Liaison (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosmoney, money, money! if you get in at a high salary with high commissions, and that's all you want.

Consthis place is toxic! I was paid very well and had great commissions, but I also average 60 hour work days and at times worked through some holidays and bad weather days. management were a combination of petty, stupid, mean tempered, foul mouthed, self serving, glory grabbers resigned to keeping their big paychecks.

Advice to Senior Managementnone. nothing is ever going to change there.

mission-driven company with rich history

New York, NY

ProsThe company has historically been very mission driven, the benefits are great, and many employees are dedicated to the work.

ConsVNSNY is undergoing massive lay-offs, resulting in negative impact to morale and significantly greater work load for those left behind. New leadership has changed the culture for the worse.

Great Culture

Organizational Development Intern (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were all very friendly and willing to help. Managers enjoyed explaining to interns the business processes and the functions they served, so interns could really understand how their work is beneficial to the company. Mostly open communication between all business areas and levels of management.

ConsOrganizational structure was redundant in some areas and very thin in others. This may have been inefficient in some aspect of the business.

Will miss the coworkers, but not the politics

Nurse Consultant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWorkers stick together in hard and ok times (only hard times in the last 2 years).

ConsThe politics, the backstabbing, the forced lies. Missing the company it used to be where we all worked hard and felt like being part of something great.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not even sure if there is a way to fix this company. A 180 degree turn might help or maybe some self reflection.

Affected

ProsGreat work life balance depending on your role and position responsibilities. Colleagues and middle management support higher education and make efforts to support personal advancement. Great internal educational opportunities for clinical and non-clinical subject matter. Flexible schedules are allowed as long it is departmentally feasible. The vast majority of clinical leadership are great to work with and serve as a bank of information. Great community service (now in the past).

ConsSenior leadership lack understanding of the departments they manage/direct and how each department relates to another. There is a complete lack of communication and cooperation therefore lacking what is required to achieve their ONE VNSNY mission and vision. Value is not placed on progressive hard working dedicated employees and compensation for achievements are dismal. The errors and misguidance of a few have affected thousands and those that have mismanaged and erred remain. Image appears to be a driving factor for decisions; knowledge, skills, and work ethic are lost in the abyss. (What are the demographic statistics of those given a WARN notice). Administrative support staff do not appear to be considered for their shared governance initiative to achieve Magnet status; but the work of the administrative support staff allow your clinicians to focus on coordinating and managing care. Decisions for new databases do not appear to made as an improvement and as a step up to older systems because they lack reliability and necessary functionality (I dare to infer that conflicts of interest are at play). Accountability is not equally established between departments and interdepartmentally. Departments are not adequately staffed but their responsibilities have increased; there is a limit to what is feasibly able to be completed when doing more with less. Trust is always a major factor and lack of trust within a nursing agency defames the value and trust of the nursing profession.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the function of all departments and how they relate to the department that you manage. Do not frown upon educational advancement but look at it as a VNSNY investment. One of VNSNY`s visionary statements include servicing people and communities, the staff are also part of that vision and include people in your community. Internal and external customer service should be stressed at all levels. Leaders should lead by example and if they lack the interpersonal effectiveness and emotional intelligence their subordinates will portray the same uncouth and unfavorable characteristics. Effective meetings should be a biannual requirement to reduce the large amount of ineffective meetings that waste time and resources. Take a look at employees that age the company and not those that are aging within the company. Newer administrative employees should be oriented to ALL departments to gain a better understanding o their role and how it relates to VNSNY goals, mission, and vision. ALL employees should be empowered to reach beyond the stars. Evidence based practice should be applied to serving the population as well operational decisions.

Interesting and challenging place to work

Licensed Social Worker (Current Employee)
    Bronx, NY

ProsThe support systems which are put in place to help you with your job and the wonderful staff which are also supportive to each other.

ConsThe fast changing healthcare market which makes it difficult the switch gears as new rules come down the pipeline

Advice to Senior ManagementGive workers some of the 775 workers who were laid off the opportunity to apply for existing jobs and new jobs which will be available over the coming months. Workers who have to leave July 7th feel cheated out of a wonderful job in a wonderful place.

Worked for Visiting Nurse Service of New York? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Visiting Nurse Service of New York reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Visiting Nurse Service of New York CEO Mary Ann Christopher. All 52 reviews posted anonymously by Visiting Nurse Service of New York employees.