Visiting Nurse Service of New York

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

Visiting Nurse Service of New York President & CEO Mary Ann Christopher
Mary Ann Christopher

Pros
  • Great work life balance depending on your role and position responsibilities (in 5 reviews)

• Very good benefits and opportunities to learn new technologies (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It makes it difficult to know who to go to when you have a problem (in 2 reviews)

• Recent changes have led to a huge decline in work life balance (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team work. personal growth, good compensation.

Cons

Over worked due to lack of staff.

They need to hire more staff.

Physical therapist

Former Employee - Physical Therapist  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, tuition reimbursements, free ceus, decent pay

Cons

Working in bad areas, needing to have escorts as most buildings are not safe areas, initially it was doing well until recently when the upper management did a lot if changes that has to lay off a lot of employees, no job security even for those employeeds who's been with vnsny for more than 10-15 years..not much support from when they taken off the rehab dept

Have to listen to your field staff

An organization that is greatly needed in the community with fantastic clinicians, but internal business is outrageous.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

The mission is a good reason to work for VNSNY. If helping the less fortunate in New York through medical care is your ideal job than you will like working for VNSNY. If you believe in the mission that Lillian Wald established than you will like working at VNSNY. Also, competitive salaries are considered, and four weeks vacation time is also a plus, however, taking time off isn't necessarily encouraged in some departments.

Cons

The business lines are siloed. Senior leadership does not support transparency, is often fighting amongst themselves for power or ego boosting, regarding decisions making or change management. There is a great deal of confusion about the changes coming from the top-down, and employee engagement remains poor. VNSNY does not value communications with employees, and no one includes the frontline staff appropriately or toward Magnet Status. The layoffs in 2013 and 2014 were handled poorly, with individual colleagues sitting in on lay-off discussions as if for show and it felt more like targeted firings than financial complications that caused the situation. The company has lost sight of best practices, values and mission, especially on how to treat and communicate with employees.

Pay attention to detail and the frontline. Value communications with the field and recognize the stigma in your organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I learned a lot but was still disappointed by the corporate greed-driven mentality.

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a well recognized, established company that is a good resume entry for those starting out.

Cons

Overworked staff, too much talk about reimbursement and not enough about patient care, poor work-life balance

Place appropriate demands on staff so that efficient results that maintain high-quality can be delivered. Stop making profit more important that patient care quality, both are equally important.

FRIENDS crisis program

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

Great people to work with, very social environment, room for some flexibility in schedule, great experience doing a multitude of things in the social service field, including treatment planning, safety planning, family sessions/ individual sessions, linking and collaborating with people from different systems such as schools, and hospitals.

Cons

Pay sucks and you do not get raises at all. You are expected to accommodate families and can work up until 8pm if family is only available between 7-8.

Pay your employees better and be clear during interview process what the expectations are in terms of scheduling. The current feeling among employees is negative because employes are traveling all over the bronx to see clients and there is not a good work life balance.

New focus on the "enterprise" rather than patients & nurses.

Former Employee - Public Health Nurse  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Public Health Nurse in New York, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Home care is a wonderful field where nurses work with people in ways that make a huge difference in their lives. VNSNY has a long & proud history.

Cons

VNSNY has become wildly unrealistic about the time and energy nurses need with patients to provide quality care. Continuity of care has been sacrificed for efficiency leading to ineffective RN home visits.

Empower the nurses. Really. Why were July 2014 lay-offs (770 RNs, educators, NPs) NOT in the news?

Not for me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, helpful/friendly coworkers

Cons

Little mentorship or discussion of growth/advancement for new employees

I hate it here

Current Employee - Third Party Credit Collection Coordinator  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Third Party Credit Collection Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

Employees are friendly. The printer is reliable. The bathrooms are cleaned well. The office doesn't smell like old cheese.

Cons

Everyone is miserable from the minute they walk into the door to the minute they leave. Cutbacks are obvious when spending a day in the office, even office supplies are hard to come by when you need them. The latest office software on my VNSNY computer is Microsoft Office 2003. We are forced to buy K-Cups for the keurig since they do not provide coffee, but even the keurig machine has stopped working. I doubt they try to replace it. During the summer it is insanely hot within the building, I often sweat uncontrollably. Ridiculous communication barriers exist between different levels of the company, making it wildly difficult to accomplish simple tasks. I have put in numerous simple requests for assistance with my computer, and they have all gone ignored. Company systems are totally outdated, I am forced to rummage through massively disorganized filing cabinets to retrieve patient records. Simple tasks become insanely stressful, time-consuming and frustrating processes. There is no sense of community or teamwork within the office, everyone seems content to just look after themselves. Additionally, managers command such minimal respect from other employees because their ability to get things done in a timely fashion is laughable. The happiest moment of my day is when I leave the building. Make sure you are WELL compensated if you are accepting a position within the VNSNY because you are bound to endure a miserable time.

Take a look at yourself in the mirror and really contemplate if you think this company deserves it's recognition as "one of the best places to work". The majority of my colleagues are miserable here. I understand the nature of the business revolves around quality care of patients, but if the employees are miserable, a trickle down effect will severely impact the quality of care taking place in the homes of the elderly, sick and disabled.

Paoli nurse scholar-summer intern

Current Employee - Nurse Scholar  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Nurse Scholar in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They were very helpful and taught me what to look for when admitting a patient for home care. I got to interview patients, refer patients, evaluate them, and do home visits. It is a great program for students!

Cons

I would have liked to have more hands on work with the patients.

Please allow students to work with patients in giving care as well, instead of just observing.

Dead end

Former Employee - Administrative Aide  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Aide in New York, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The mission of this company is great. They do great work . They have a hospice department and they also have other programs that they run, like the Bronx program for young mothers.

Cons

Long day, environment can feel dreadful at times . Small cubicles The company is huge and new comers can feel lost at times. Lack of career growth for just graduates.

Management should facilitate volunteers and intern to obtain open positions in the company. Company is lacking career growth for Just graduates, interns or young volunteers.

Worked for Visiting Nurse Service of New York? Contribute to the Community!