Vista Host

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.4

Michael V. Harrell

Best company I have worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Vista Host full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Well organized company who want you to grow with the company and Promotes from within.

Cons

Small company with minimal benefits.

Continuously Striving for Excellence.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you desire to work for a company that continuously motivates you to be better today than you were yesterday than Vista Host is a perfect fit for you! Vista Host hires competitive people who want to work and can meet the goals set out for them. I know because I have happily worked for this company for almost three years. I began on the front desk and have been promoted four times in the past two years. Raises and promotions are given to those who give will work hard and want to grow with the company. The bonus plans are attainable and higher level management are always available if needed.

Cons

A lot of people hired are not willing to put in the man hours to build a team environment or meet the goals set before them which is detrimental to those that are.

Pay for Performance! Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal and professional growth opportunities, Senior management listens to and acts on Ideas from all levels of staff, Pays well for good performance- both hourly and salaried staff, Micro-analyzes all details of the business but does not micro-manage, Huge support team of available resources to assist, Regional Directors, VP's, COO, and CEO always available via cell-phone and provide their number to all associates to be reached at any time.

Cons

Pay for performance company is not for everyone. It means some weeks are 70+ hours and others are 40, but that is to be determined by the employee and their hotel's needs. Having self-governing power is difficult for many to manage themselves appropriately, and I've seen many success and failure stories along the way.

Review the reviews!

Vicious Host is Right!!!!

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want to work really hard with the minimum compensation this is a company for you. If you enjoy working with emotionally unstable people this is a company for you. If you like to work on the weekends without compensation this is a company for you. If you expect to make the barely enough to survive much less save money with absolutely no hope of getting a raise this is the company for you.

Cons

Low salaries, minimal benefits and hostile work environment. Rude behavior is tolerated and rewarded.

Be competitive with salaries across the board. Value your employees, their hard work and dedication. Raises and bonuses would be a great place to start. Hiring adequate staff as to eliminate weekend work for they all ready stressed out employees. Better treatment of employees and realizing they too have families and would enjoy having time and money to spend with them.

Started out wonderful, ended awful.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Night Auditor in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Night Auditor in Altoona, PA

I worked at Vista Host part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work environment
    Merit and performance based reviews
    Generally positive employee-to-employee relationships

Cons

Management does not address employee concerns effectively
    Expected to give your entire life to the company
    Some managers try to exercise more control over employees not under their jurisdiction

Listen to your employees and work with them as much as possible

Vicious Host

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vista Host full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you're willing to devote much of your personal time to the company, they will reward you via pay, promotions, etc. The ability to move around the country can be favorable to some, as well.

Cons

Much of the corporate support staff seems to have "favorites" when it comes to the employees they promote. The company changes its policies to better suit the corporate staff with no regard to the line-level associates. Much of the corporate management is out-of-touch with the daily operations of the hotel. They need to place more trust on those running their hotels. Stop micro-managing.

Value the employees who have stayed with you for a long amont of time. They're your backbone. Avoid investing too much time and money in your "Manager in Training" program. It seems that all-too-often, you've hired the fresh-out-of-college types who use you for experience then bolt for greener pastures at the first availble moment. Consider investing more in the tenured managers and employees. Be more open to suggestions from all associates and stop playing favorites.

Unless you want to sell your soul to this company, run very far away

I worked at Vista Host full-time

Pros

The guests are generally friendly and regulars. The non-management staff is cool. Hilton is a great company and the hotel itself is nice.

Cons

Heavily micromanageed, if they don't like you they force you to quit or write you upenough to fire you, the pay is low and you will never receive a raise, they are cheap so staffing will stay low, I could go on...

Actually care about your employees and maybe you won't have a high turn over. Remember that you are human too and you will be able to keep somebody longer than a couple of months! Happy employees have better performance.

Horrible

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Vista Host full-time

Pros

They offer a fantastic bonus program for their Management team and Front Desk. Since it is a large company with many hotels and turnover is a big issue you will find yourself with plenty of room for growth.

Cons

You will never get any positive feedback, they rule by fear and imitation. You will never be good enough, work hard enough or be enough for this company. The Senior Management loves to gossip with line level employees about other staff and other managers. The owner is very hands on and will berate employees and the Senior Management shrugs it off as "just the way he is", like it is some big joke. This job will eat you alive, get out while you still can.

Secure job in an uncertain time

I worked at Vista Host

Pros

Job security - If you're competent in your job, then it's pretty safe. Unfortunately there are times when you don't even need that to maintain high standings within the leadership.

Cons

Zero communication - by far the worst I have every experienced...practically non-existent.

None that I can offer because I know that it will not be taken. It's been run one way for many years, and it works for them....so it'll never change.

Very Unprofessional. No where to move up.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Vista Host

Pros

Really like my job duties. I enjoy meeting new people each day and selling the hotel. I enjoy being able to be involved in the community.

Cons

There are not layers of management, so there is not a lot of room for growth. Health Insurance is expensive. No vacation or sick days for the first year. Highly political. Close minded. CEO is backwards and expects women to wear skirts and hose every day (where I live the heat index is 110 right now and hose seem inconcievable).

If you would allow ideas to flow freely and stop all the political games, your business would be a much better place to work.