Vista Host Reviews

1. Odd Company

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent
    Former Employee - Guest Service Agent

I worked at Vista Host

Pros

Fairly flexible work hours because the hotel was overstaffed with plenty of people always wanting more hours.

Cons

The pro also can be a con if you're looking for overtime (which is not permitted). Strange rules and practices dictated by the founder of the company who is very much involved with the day to day operations at every property within the system.

Advice to Management

Be more focused on revenue instead of pointless practices that guests really could care less about.

2. Support Office

I worked at Vista Host

Pros

Lots of tenured management. Things run very smoothly here.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None

3. No respect for employees.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent/Night Auditor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent/Night Auditor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hotel I work at is a quality property with a great staff and dedicated management.

Cons

The insurance that was offered does not qualify as coverage under the ACA, and that was never disclosed to us when we were hired. We only found out after our 90 days had passed. Furthermore, the company conducts random drug testing for all employees, something I have never heard of after more than a decade in hospitality. This was also not revealed at the time of hire. Only after several months of employment did we find out that approximately 20% of our work force would be randomly tested each month.

Advice to Management

The very least you can do is be upfront with the people you hire about your policies, especially ones that are so different from standard industry practices. It may be legal to keep quiet about the insurance and drug testing, but it demonstrates a disrespect for your employees.

5. Best company I have worked for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well organized company who want you to grow with the company and Promotes from within.

Cons

Small company with minimal benefits.

6. Continuously Striving for Excellence.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you desire to work for a company that continuously motivates you to be better today than you were yesterday than Vista Host is a perfect fit for you! Vista Host hires competitive people who want to work and can meet the goals set out for them. I know because I have happily worked for this company for almost three years. I began on the front desk and have been promoted four times in the past two years. Raises and promotions are given to those who give will work hard and want to grow with the company. The bonus plans are attainable and higher level management are always available if needed.

Cons

A lot of people hired are not willing to put in the man hours to build a team environment or meet the goals set before them which is detrimental to those that are.

7. Pay for Performance! Not for Everyone

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Personal and professional growth opportunities, Senior management listens to and acts on Ideas from all levels of staff, Pays well for good performance- both hourly and salaried staff, Micro-analyzes all details of the business but does not micro-manage, Huge support team of available resources to assist, Regional Directors, VP's, COO, and CEO always available via cell-phone and provide their number to all associates to be reached at any time.

Cons

Pay for performance company is not for everyone. It means some weeks are 70+ hours and others are 40, but that is to be determined by the employee and their hotel's needs. Having self-governing power is difficult for many to manage themselves appropriately, and I've seen many success and failure stories along the way.

Advice to Management

Review the reviews!

8. Vicious Host is Right!!!!

I have been working at Vista Host full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to work really hard with the minimum compensation this is a company for you. If you enjoy working with emotionally unstable people this is a company for you. If you like to work on the weekends without compensation this is a company for you. If you expect to make the barely enough to survive much less save money with absolutely no hope of getting a raise this is the company for you.

Cons

Low salaries, minimal benefits and hostile work environment. Rude behavior is tolerated and rewarded.

Advice to Management

Be competitive with salaries across the board. Value your employees, their hard work and dedication. Raises and bonuses would be a great place to start. Hiring adequate staff as to eliminate weekend work for they all ready stressed out employees. Better treatment of employees and realizing they too have families and would enjoy having time and money to spend with them.

9. Started out wonderful, ended awful.

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Night Auditor in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Night Auditor in Altoona, PA

I worked at Vista Host part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work environment Merit and performance based reviews Generally positive employee-to-employee relationships

Cons

Management does not address employee concerns effectively Expected to give your entire life to the company Some managers try to exercise more control over employees not under their jurisdiction

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and work with them as much as possible

10. Vicious Host

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Vista Host full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you're willing to devote much of your personal time to the company, they will reward you via pay, promotions, etc. The ability to move around the country can be favorable to some, as well.

Cons

Much of the corporate support staff seems to have "favorites" when it comes to the employees they promote. The company changes its policies to better suit the corporate staff with no regard to the line-level associates. Much of the corporate management is out-of-touch with the daily operations of the hotel. They need to place more trust on those running their hotels. Stop micro-managing.

Advice to Management

Value the employees who have stayed with you for a long amont of time. They're your backbone. Avoid investing too much time and money in your "Manager in Training" program. It seems that all-too-often, you've hired the fresh-out-of-college types who use you for experience then bolt for greener pastures at the first availble moment. Consider investing more in the tenured managers and employees. Be more open to suggestions from all associates and stop playing favorites.

11. Unless you want to sell your soul to this company, run very far away

I worked at Vista Host full-time

Pros

The guests are generally friendly and regulars. The non-management staff is cool. Hilton is a great company and the hotel itself is nice.

Cons

Heavily micromanageed, if they don't like you they force you to quit or write you upenough to fire you, the pay is low and you will never receive a raise, they are cheap so staffing will stay low, I could go on...

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees and maybe you won't have a high turn over. Remember that you are human too and you will be able to keep somebody longer than a couple of months! Happy employees have better performance.

RSS Feed </> Embed