Vista Unified School District

Updated May 26, 2014
Updated May 26, 2014
2.8

Joyce Bales

Serves mostly low income Hispanic students; many are first-generation US citizens.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Vista, CA

I have been working at Vista Unified School District as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

The children that I work with are very respectful and sweet. The schools are staffed with professional and friendly mostly White middle class women.

Cons

I have worked here for years off and on while I became a credentialed elementary school teacher, yet did not get hired as a permanent employee when I applied. Now, I am half way finished with another credential to work with students with disabilities. I hope that I get hired next year.

Please take the time to get to know your substitute teachers. They may be just what you are looking for in a great teacher.

Substitute teacher

I have been working at Vista Unified School District

Pros

There are no pros to this job

Cons

The pay is too low

it is a nice place to work

Current Employee - Instructional Assistant
    Current Employee - Instructional Assistant

I have been working at Vista Unified School District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

get lots of holidays and days off. Having the same days off as my child.

Cons

pay could be better and more opportunities for advancement

more in house training

VUSD try another district before looking at this one.

Current Employee - Teacher in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Vista, CA

I have been working at Vista Unified School District

Pros

The individual teachers at my school site. Also the staff and classified personnel. They always give 100% and we all help each other. Its like a big family.

Cons

the continued incompetence of elected board members, the union, and the superintendent. It would be so refreshing for the union to step aside, for the management to work WITH the teachers, and for everyone to stop bickering and finger pointing. It is very much like what is going on with our government, except at the local level. Very sad to see adults acting this way as we try to teach our children how to solve problems. Lead by example, and let your actions speak for you. I like that motto...too bad it isnt very popular any more.

Do the right thing, stop promoting your own agenda, trust your teachers, treat them fairly and with respect and get out of the way and let them do what they do best!