Vistage International

Vistage International Reviews

Updated Mar 20, 2014

Vistage International CEO Leon Shapiro

Leon Shapiro

Great opportunities for those willing to put in the work

I have been working at Vistage International

ProsGreat career opportunities for those willing to work hard. Not a place for those desiring to simply collect a paycheck, very lean organization that rewards it's top performers. Pay is very competitive and the company has been in business for 50 years. Commitment to technology towards advancing the mission is above par for most companies. Good benefits package, ample time off, good work life balance.

ConsCan be challenging at times, due to the fact that so much is expected of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little more time enjoying success.

Vistage members are better leaders, make better decisions, and produce better results.

Chair (Current Employee)
Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Vistage International

ProsIndependence and personal and professional growth. Relationships that are based on trust and give and take. The workshop leaders are excellent and the website is "a treasure". The training Vistage provides for the Chairs and its employees is very complete and excellence is expected at all levels.

ConsStarting a new group is difficult and takes patience an perseverence. It requires a network, a good to great communication skill set, and the ability to engage and listen to people. It requires an understanding of the value of Vistage to a prospect and how to communicate that.
This is all a downside as it must be understood before entertaining being a Chair.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the member services and website and the training.

An engaging, satisfying, rewarding place to work

Current Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vistage International

ProsVistage let's you originate and own projects. I think this is my favorite part of working here. If you have a good idea, your manager will let you own it, take charge, implement it and be a hero. Those who take charge like this are typically promoted quickly. As a culture Vistage is highly encouraging and fostering of new ideas that serve our clients (members, Chairs and Speakers).

*My pay is superb compared to other similar jobs in the area
*Health benefits is a great plan as a low price
*401(k) benefits are great also, they match 50% and you are vested immediately
*Work/life balance is good. You work hard, but your rarely work overtime.
*We are located near the ocean and near the foothills. A five minute drive can have you spending lunch body surfing in the ocean or mountain bike riding in the canyons. Just tell your manager that you are taking a 2 hour lunch and your going to stay late, and they are usually fine with that.
*We have an ongoing competition at work where HR gives us a pedometer that we wear on our shoe. Then for a month we compete to be the person who took the most steps in the month or had the most “Activity Minutes.” It keeps us in shape and the winner gets prizes like iPods.
*My manager always makes a point to tell me what I did well, and to tell me where I can improve. I am never guessing about what my manager wants or expects. Additionally, I do not get micromanaged. I am grateful for the high level of professionalism and trust that I am given here.
*I am free to prioritize my work in the way that I want to, and to do my work in the method that I think is best.
* Employees are usually included in the decision making process when it comes to major company initiatives. Not always, but usually and this helps me to feel like I am part of the process.
* Everyday, I actually enjoy coming to work in my cubicle because I am always presented with new challenges to solve and my work is respected.

ConsVistage is at a company growth phase (about 100-120 employees) where we are still working out our systems, processes and work flow. Some aspects of work can be highly frustrating. For example small projects often need to be approved by multiple managers who have differing points of view on how something should be done. This slows down accomplishments.

The onboarding process is not great at the moment. Oftentimes new hires begin with no documentation and little guidance in their first couple of weeks on the job, they have to figure out everything that their position is required to do and they have to figure out how to do it. This can give a sense of freedom and choice to some, while it can leave others somewhat lost.

We have a relatively high turnover rate. There are a lot of variables to consider when it comes to turnover, and I can’t point to one specific issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on making our systems and work flow process less frustrating, more efficient and more effective. Also, we should get the advice of the many experts (members, Chairs and Speakers) in our community every time we launch a new initiative, large or small. Let's use the world-class resources that we have.

Talented people work here, location and benefits are great

Current Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vistage International

ProsGreat location in San Diego and good benefits, especially if you have a family. Overall, the work atmosphere encourages innovation, though sometimes great ideas are quashed by beaurocracy.

Some great people work here, and the mission of the company is one you can embrace: to help small business owners and CEOs become better at what they do so they can continue to employ people and produce great products and services.

You feel really good about your job when you hear members express genuine appreciation for what the organization has done for them and their companies.

ConsCompany has been slow to embrace telecommuting and remote employees, which is a big deal if you have a tough commute or need creative room to work on occasion. That can encourage "presenteeism" but ,overall, staffers are quite productive and turn out an enormous amount of work for the size of the company.

There's been high turnover in the past, but it seems to have slowed recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more often to the rank and file.

Do your research before you consider joining.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vistage International

ProsSome nice though not necessarily competent people there

ConsVery poor senior leadership team. For an organization that teaches CEOs how to be more effective, they are amazingly bad at it themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach

Run Far Far Away!

Decline to State (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vistage International

ProsThe mission of the company is a fabulous one.

ConsExceptionally high turnover (60+%), zero top down communication, no standards for sharing legacy information with new employees, departments operate as isolated entities rather than functioning cooperatively, lack of acknowledgement of employee accomplishments, high pressure environment where it is unnecessary. The company is owned in part by Michael Milken who is far from respected for his business accumen.

Advice to Senior ManagementSTOP THE TURNOVER... replace leadership elements who create the toxic work environment and prevent positive growth/progress. Return to the original purpose of the organization rather than focusing solely on revenue growth - especially in a challenged economy. Create programs whereby employees feel valued rather than abused. Leverage your exising talent for nurtured growth.

Expensive foray into CEO coaching, long hours, little to no return on investment of time.

Chair (Former Employee)

I worked at Vistage International as a contractor for more than a year

ProsYou are your own boss, it can be rewarding work, good group of peers. Good mentoring by Lead Chair. If you are very aggressive, are a good closer, and in a growing market, you can make a decent living.

ConsVery rigid formula for success, condescending attitude to Chairs from home office support staff, minimum of 2 years before you have a shot at success. Very big on writing out and saying scripts verbatim to prospective members.

Given the alternatives to how CEOs try to grow their business, Vistage has an antiquated business model that is overpriced.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to grow market share at the expense of existing Chairs. Protect existing Chairs -- meaning, stop adding Chairs in maxed markets -- and provide them with marketing support. Help keep their groups full and grow new ones. Be honest with new Chairs about the lifecycle of Chairs and be candid about prospects for success.

Treat your Chairs like customers. That's the best piece of advice I can give. For all the talk about "helping you to be successful," oftentimes you feel like just another 1099, outsourced salesforce.

Mission is amazing; corporate management is marginal

Chair (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vistage International

ProsA place to learn, grow and work, with others who value these core values. The core values are so well estgablished that they drive success.

ConsSenior managers are hire guns, and since they don't do "the work" the core value are simply words to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from those that do the work. Let the field drive growth. Don't try to disintermediate the Chairs or they will disintermediate you.

Run!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vistage International

ProsThe mission of the organization. Externally, the work done by the Vistage Chairs is exceptional and helps lead small to medium sized business owners to success professionally and personally.

ConsVistage Headquarters. The executives (they make up one fourth of the staff) do not communicate or work well together. The lack of collaboration at the top impacts the entire organization. The staff level employees are expected to work long hours with little pay (compared to similar positions at similar sized companies). The long hours are mostly based on turnover. The turnover is so high that most end up taking on the work of two or three employees. If you prove that you are capable and willing to take on that type of workload they will not replace the positions of those that left or were terminated.

My recommendation to a person considering working for Vistage is to run! The employee morale could not be any lower. Within an extremely short time frame new employees are miserable to be involved in this type of corporate culture. Up front promises and talk about improving corporate culture are constant, but consistently fall far short of the desired result.

Do your research, the positive feedback about the organization comes from our Chairs doing the work. Their role and work is admirable. Their work is separate from what occurs at the office located in San Diego.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach! Spend more time training your management than training your staff, it starts at the top. Treat your employees with respect.

Toxic Work Environment

I have been working at Vistage International

ProsThe "worker bees" are good solid people with the desire to do a good job. They soon realize they are not appreciated and morale takes a dive.

ConsThe Executive Leadership team in Vistage is some of the worst I've seen. The incidents of deception, lies and unprofessional conduct are so extreme, I'm surprised the company has survived this long.

In a two year period the rate of employee turnover was 65%, the morale there is constantly at a low. This is an environment of fear not leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring on true professionals who are dedicated to the mission and the employees who come in each day and give their all. Right now leadership are dedicated to their own agendas.

Worked for Vistage International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vistage International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vistage International CEO Leon Shapiro . All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Vistage International employees.